Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,702 members, 7,802,092 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 08:58 AM

Ladi Kwali:The Woman on The N20 Note - Culture (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Ladi Kwali:The Woman on The N20 Note (52210 Views)

Meet The Woman At The Back Of N20 Note. / Ladi Kwali:the Woman On The N20 Note / Ladi Kwali, Nigeria's Famous Potter (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Ladi Kwali:The Woman on The N20 Note by Nobody: 8:45am On Nov 30, 2014
orits2014:

Lol

Am telling you...lol

Re: Ladi Kwali:The Woman on The N20 Note by Bimpe29: 8:46am On Nov 30, 2014
If you are creative, your soul will die but your creativity will remain till eternity.
Re: Ladi Kwali:The Woman on The N20 Note by Onegai(f): 8:53am On Nov 30, 2014
To a lot of people disparaging Ladi Kwali, she showed resourcefulness, intelligence and creativity. She trained people and gave them a way to earn a living, both in Nigeria and other countries she taught in. She instructed foreigners in her local language (whilst nowadays, all of you go and do a 4 year course in UK and come back speaking like your passport is red and you went to school with Prince William). She kept a piece of Nigerian culture alive.

Nelson Mandela went to jail for decades fighting for what he believed in. Very inspirational. But I never felt his impact, as I'm no South African.

Ladi Kwali has impacted me more, as a Nigerian and someone who wants to earn a living, as a woman, in a society where I am forced to earn less to support myself.

The sad thing about this is that if you go to the National Museum in Lagos, I doubt you'll see her work there. Hers and a lot of historical works are in the hands of mostly foreigners and some Nigerians (like my humble self), most of whom are not planning on showing them publicly. And I'm pretty sure kids these days aren't taught about her and the other Nigerian female artists who were honoured by several international dignitaries. Yet we have a Minister of Culture and a Minister of Education. Fascinating.

8 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Ladi Kwali:The Woman on The N20 Note by tushurenaija(m): 8:58am On Nov 30, 2014
Wonderful and Beautiful people...Ladi kwali's great work!!! wink
Re: Ladi Kwali:The Woman on The N20 Note by Nobody: 9:07am On Nov 30, 2014
Re: Ladi Kwali:The Woman on The N20 Note by arsetalks(m): 9:16am On Nov 30, 2014
Thanks. Learnt something valuable here.
Re: Ladi Kwali:The Woman on The N20 Note by Eyop: 9:21am On Nov 30, 2014
Ishilove:

Tell him

My ex babe undecided now running parrols wit the ceo himself. Well, God dey sha embarassed
Re: Ladi Kwali:The Woman on The N20 Note by Pennyways: 9:26am On Nov 30, 2014
she was such a great woman
Re: Ladi Kwali:The Woman on The N20 Note by Anwasia(m): 9:27am On Nov 30, 2014
[color=#006600][/color]
Onegai:
To a lot of people disparaging Ladi Kwali, she showed resourcefulness, intelligence and creativity. She trained people and gave them a way to earn a living, both in Nigeria and other countries she taught in. She instructed foreigners in her local language (whilst nowadays, all of you go and do a 4 year course in UK and come back speaking like your passport is red and you went to school with Prince William). She kept a piece of Nigerian culture alive.

Nelson Mandela went to jail for decades fighting for what he believed in. Very inspirational. But I never felt his impact, as I'm no South African.

Ladi Kwali has impacted me more, as a Nigerian and someone who wants to earn a living, as a woman, in a society where I am forced to earn less to support myself.

The sad thing about this is that if you go to the National Museum in Lagos, I doubt you'll see her work there. Hers and a lot of historical works are in the hands of mostly foreigners and some Nigerians (like my humble self), most of whom are not planning on showing them publicly. And I'm pretty sure kids these days aren't taught about her and the other Nigerian female artists who were honoured by several international dignitaries. Yet we have a Minister of Culture and a Minister of Education. Fascinating.

Will you marry me? kiss

1 Like

Re: Ladi Kwali:The Woman on The N20 Note by watchindelta(m): 9:37am On Nov 30, 2014
nawaho dat means we all as Nigerians will don,t know mannnnny of our histories badtttt smh. I dey wonder weda Nigerian no get history since! abeg I need more because I no no anything about dis country, only politic I dey see since I small history,how dey take dey thief oil moni.rare
Re: Ladi Kwali:The Woman on The N20 Note by adeko2: 9:49am On Nov 30, 2014
From nobody to somebody. This story has made me to love twenty naira the more. smiley
Re: Ladi Kwali:The Woman on The N20 Note by eleko1: 10:19am On Nov 30, 2014
U'll bi a hit than dos clowns like Ali BAba,AY and co with the dry joke dey churned out grin cheesy grin grin grin grin grin grin
dhammyg:

WHAT GREAT THING HAVE U DONE IN UR LIFEMAYBE WHEN U DO SOMETHING GREAT THE NIGERIAN GOVT MIGHT CONSIDERT PUTTING UR FACE ON THE 10 KOBO COIN tongue
THE WOMAN IS CONSIDERED AN ICON IN THE WORLD OF POTTERY,THAT ALONE MAKES HER GREAT cool

AND WHO TOLD MANY NIGERIANS DO NOT KNOW HERANYONE WHO IS AWARE OF NIGERIAN ARTS WILL
KNOW WHO SHE IS.HAVE KNOWN ABOUT THIS WOMAN SINCE I WAS IN SEC SCHOOL cool

BY THE WAY IF U STILL THINK SHE DOSEN'T DESERVE IT.FEEL FREE TO PRINT UR OWN MONEY AND PUT WHOEVER'S FACE U WANT THERE gringringrin
Re: Ladi Kwali:The Woman on The N20 Note by InglishTeechar(m): 10:28am On Nov 30, 2014
goofyone:
How come we didn't know this all this time? So not fair!
Nigeria historians have so not done us fair.

Until you know the history of your country you wont know how great your country is and appreciate her greatness. Some idiotic Nigerians with mental illness believe Nigeria is just a piss of shit. Shame on them. Dig deep and see how great your country is.
Re: Ladi Kwali:The Woman on The N20 Note by InglishTeechar(m): 10:29am On Nov 30, 2014
fatdon2:
[img]http://3.bp..com/_KOq6AlodkJI/TJyDtPxhhpI/AAAAAAAAC2s/EMAA2TWQH0M/s1600/ladi+kwali.jpg[/img]

Nigeria's best known potter who was awarded a Doctorate and was made MBE in 1963 for the level of detail and skill she utilized while making her pots.

Ladi Dosei Kwali (1925-1983) popularly known as Dr Ladi Kwali was born in 1925 in Kwali town in the present Federal Capital Territory, Abuja,Nigeria.

Probably she is the best known of the Abuja potters. Making pots was women’s work in Kwali and the entire Gwari villages, therefore Ladi came to Abuja (the then Suleja) with knowledge of traditional Gwari pottery.

She did not at first take to the idea of using wheels and kilns and the other paraphernalia of the European potter, but proved to have a natural ability to throw. She was picked from her traditional home Kwali to the then Abuja the present Suleja because of her natural ability in making pots.

The Abuja Pottery Training Centre was established 1950 by an English potter, Michael Cardew, who was sent to the Abuja area by the then colonial government, ostensibly to improve the quality of local work. But he found himself, for the next 15 years, in a symbiotic working relationship with local potters, in which he taught and was taught by potters like Ladi Kwali.

While Cardew introduced wheels and kilns to the centre, he also learnt about traditional firing methods and ornamentation. Kwali on the other hand, was initially reluctant to adapt to the wheel, preferring the spiralled coil method of building pots. She however, discovered she had a natural flair for the wheel. Cardew encouraged her to decorate her work, something she had not done before, and he even fired some of her traditional work in the Abuja kiln.

Ladi was later to become a very popular member of the touring lecture team; her easy nature and ability to communicate made her well liked and appreciated in Europe, Britain and America. She became Nigeria’s best known potter and has been honoured in many ways; she was given a doctorate.

Kwali with Cardew
Credits: www.newsrepublic.com

By the time she died in 1983, Dr Ladi Kwali was Nigeria’s best known potter. She left a rich legacy of her work and a school of ‘students’ who picked up from where she left at the Abuja Pottery Training Centre. Over the next decade, her ornamentation skills
became more sophisticated, and probably because of improved firing methods, she had the opportunity to
exhibit her work in Europe in 1958, 1959 and 1962.

Her pottery was also displayed during Nigeria’s independence celebrations in 1960. Dr Ladi Kwali remained associated with the Abuja pottery works till she died. She gave lectures and demonstrations at home and abroad on her craft throughout her career.

Credits: http://img.antiquesreporter.com.au/

Source: www.kwalilobwoiunion.org/dr-ladi-kwali/

Until you know the history of your country you wont know how great your country is and appreciate her greatness. Some idiotic Nigerians with mental illness believe Nigeria is just a piss of shit. Shame on them. Dig deep and see how great your country is.
Re: Ladi Kwali:The Woman on The N20 Note by InglishTeechar(m): 10:30am On Nov 30, 2014
watchindelta:
nawaho dat means we all as Nigerians will don,t know mannnnny of our histories badtttt smh. I dey wonder weda Nigerian no get history since! abeg I need more because I no no anything about dis country, only politic I dey see since I small history,how dey take dey thief oil moni.rare

1 Like

Re: Ladi Kwali:The Woman on The N20 Note by InglishTeechar(m): 10:32am On Nov 30, 2014
fatdon2:
And i have always been thinking its
just a picture without any strong
signicance. Great lesson i have just learnt stand out in any of your
choosen endeavour and you will be
honoured.

Until you know the history of your country you wont know how great your country is and appreciate her greatness. Some idiotic Nigerians with mental illness believe Nigeria is just a piss of poo. Shame on them. Dig deep and see how great your country is.
Re: Ladi Kwali:The Woman on The N20 Note by teeghurl(f): 10:49am On Nov 30, 2014
Firmjudge:

lols i believe you are joking right.?
Because she never had a child..
Busted grin
Re: Ladi Kwali:The Woman on The N20 Note by goldman777: 10:57am On Nov 30, 2014
west african art works and crafts are appreciating in financial value world wide an icon like dis womans craft could be worth millions of dollars in a few yrs for its originality i tank her for her contribution to the originality of african arts craft and culture
Re: Ladi Kwali:The Woman on The N20 Note by rawtruth(m): 11:11am On Nov 30, 2014
... I love this, ...hope such posts will become regular here.
Re: Ladi Kwali:The Woman on The N20 Note by natureblack(m): 11:27am On Nov 30, 2014
Jeezuzpick:

A clean potter is a bad potter.
If pessin wey dey make pot get clean shop.....
No customer be dat!
the discourse is not about Ladi Kwali,but a Nairalander.

Happy Sunday tho'
Re: Ladi Kwali:The Woman on The N20 Note by LajaLaba: 11:46am On Nov 30, 2014
natureblack:
he made a lot of sense.......

That lady's environment looks very dirty,and that tells a lot about her.Learn to call a spade by its name. angry
So that's the only thing u can observe and gain from this?u must be very intelligent!What a waste
Re: Ladi Kwali:The Woman on The N20 Note by DrMuzungu(m): 12:08pm On Nov 30, 2014
shadrach77:
i think she only made it unto the currency because of her gender. Her achievements are insignificant angry angry angry

What are your achievements, so far?
Re: Ladi Kwali:The Woman on The N20 Note by MarieSucre(f): 12:20pm On Nov 30, 2014
I've known her since my secondary days. Great woman.

1 Like

Re: Ladi Kwali:The Woman on The N20 Note by MarieSucre(f): 12:24pm On Nov 30, 2014
LajaLaba:
So that's the only thing u can observe and gain from this?u must be very intelligent!What a waste
help me tell him o. She is a potter not a cook or a doctor. Abi sand wey no dey dirty dey?
Re: Ladi Kwali:The Woman on The N20 Note by Nobody: 12:27pm On Nov 30, 2014
martyns303:

Wow! soo many awards to spell my name, lets have the face of Albert Einstein on a currency then, No? How about Chinua Achebe, maybe Wole Soyinka? Since awards are the basis for being immortalised on a currency, how did her achievements impact Nigeria as a Nation? Am sure u will have to think for a very long time since 95% of the people above don't even know who she is, irrespective of the fact that she has been on the N20 note for decades, someone even thought she was just a painting (to put it more harshly, that's how insignificant her achievements are, that no one remembers her).

But then even a 10yr old would recognize Mandela, Ghandi and the Queen, Nigeria lacks people of such reputation. (Bite me if you want). I would rather have the face of an unknown soldier who fought the Biafran war to keep Nigeria an independent and single nation.

And stop cursing, it doesnt tell well of u.
guy wat is ur problem, is dis suppose to b a beef or wat, is nobody's fault if ur generation has neva achieve anytin Gud in life. do u remember Hw long it takes ur grandfather to eventually buy one hoe to farm after several years of tilling the ground with his bare hand.
stop dis rubbish nw
Re: Ladi Kwali:The Woman on The N20 Note by Nobody: 12:36pm On Nov 30, 2014
sammyyoung2:
She's a true hero......God bless her much

Besides.....

Gej till we get common sense

O my , so true.
Re: Ladi Kwali:The Woman on The N20 Note by mecussey(m): 12:56pm On Nov 30, 2014
i never see am before for N20 note...make i go check
Re: Ladi Kwali:The Woman on The N20 Note by udysweet(f): 1:19pm On Nov 30, 2014
Me too! Infact I'm so excited seeing the original pic frm wch d one on d note was replicated.
fatdon2:
And i have always been thinking its
just a picture without any strong
signicance. Great lesson i have just learnt stand out in any of your
choosen endeavour and you will be
honoured.
Re: Ladi Kwali:The Woman on The N20 Note by xammyx(m): 1:33pm On Nov 30, 2014
Fantastic. Am a history fan . but never knew this. Nice post and weldone. I love this. shocked
Re: Ladi Kwali:The Woman on The N20 Note by toygod2: 1:53pm On Nov 30, 2014
ladi mama
Re: Ladi Kwali:The Woman on The N20 Note by natureblack(m): 2:39pm On Nov 30, 2014
LajaLaba:
you don't really have an idea what the discourse was all about,do you ?

Try be more thoughtful than I am,and I bet you would achieve the impossible !

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

The Various Dialects Of The Urhobo Language And Where They Are Spoken / Do You Know Sarah Baartman? The Black Woman Who Died Because Of Her Sexy Body / Oore Of Mobaland: Only Person Who's Qualified To Break The News Of Ooni's Death

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 55
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.