Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,868 members, 7,802,799 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 09:50 PM

Do We Truly Need A Senate? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Do We Truly Need A Senate? (1141 Views)

PDP Has 49 Senators, Why Didnt They Elect A Senate President From Their Party? / If Jonathan Loses He Will Know That Nigerians Truly Need Changes / Who Has More Money In Nigeria : A Senate President Or A Governor (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Do We Truly Need A Senate? by mcfynest(m): 7:08am On Nov 28, 2014
GOOD MORNING FELLAS, HAVE BEEN THINKING, DO WE REALY NEED A HOUSE OF ASSEMBLY IN THE SYSTEM OF GOVERNMENT WE ARE OPERATING I mean[b]the cost of governance is too high and we should scrap the Senate since we need only one Legislative House. Senegal got rid of its senate in 2012 to save money[/b]

PLEASE YOUR VIEWS AND PLEASE PARDON MY LACK OF INDEPT UNDERSTANDING OF GOVERNMENT.

THANKS
Re: Do We Truly Need A Senate? by figment232(m): 7:24am On Nov 28, 2014
I concur.Its obvious dat d senate has become a huge burden on d finances of naija.their preoccupation its confrontation n always wanting to usurp d functions of d executive coupled with incessant impeachment threat on d presidency

2 Likes

Re: Do We Truly Need A Senate? by mensdept: 7:32am On Nov 28, 2014
Sack the useless senate. They have not done anything meaningful in 15 years

2 Likes

Re: Do We Truly Need A Senate? by dunkem21(m): 7:43am On Nov 28, 2014
Lets sack the whole second arm of Government not only the senate. They don't even know that Nigerians are angry and tired of them with their stupid impeachment moves.

Self centered lots.
Re: Do We Truly Need A Senate? by mcfynest(m): 7:44am On Nov 28, 2014
figment232:
I concur.Its obvious dat d senate has become a huge burden on d finances of naija.their preoccupation its confrontation n always wanting to usurp d functions of d executive coupled with incessant impeachment threat on d presidency

ON POINT BRO. BUT I WANT TO ASK WHAT THE FUNCTIONS OF THE SENATE ARE. IS IT DIFFERENT FROM THAT OF THE HOUSE OF REPS
Re: Do We Truly Need A Senate? by mcfynest(m): 7:46am On Nov 28, 2014
dunkem21:
Lets sack the whole second arm of Government not only the senate. They don't even know that Nigerians are angry and tired of them with their stupid impeachment moves.

Self centered lots.

GADDEM SELF CENTERED LOTS. NOT TRYING TO BE APC/PDP HERE, BUT WHAT HAS BEEN DONE TO THE REPORT FILLED FROM THE NATIONAL CONFERENCE, THOSE GUYS WERE PAID WITH TAXPAYERS MONEY AND WE STIL DIDNT HERE ANY OUTCOME angry
Re: Do We Truly Need A Senate? by mcfynest(m): 7:46am On Nov 28, 2014
mensdept:

cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy

1 Like

Re: Do We Truly Need A Senate? by newguy1(m): 7:50am On Nov 28, 2014
Sometimes i just wonder if does that make this decision actually attended d university. As a layman understanding of economic, is to try n economise his resources. We have a senate n a house of assemble, can't they just scrap one n may d oda do the job of d oda which we safe us more money.

2 Likes

Re: Do We Truly Need A Senate? by donphilopus: 7:50am On Nov 28, 2014
dunkem21:

Self centered lots.

You're soliciting for their sack because they're threatening the Presidency with impeachment?! Why not also ask for the sack of the States House of Assemblies since it has become the body in which the Presidency threatens his perceived enemies/opposition Governors with impeachment?!

2 Likes

Re: Do We Truly Need A Senate? by dunkem21(m): 7:52am On Nov 28, 2014
mcfynest:

GADDEM SELF CENTERED LOTS. NOT TRYING TO BE APC/PDP HERE, BUT WHAT HAS BEEN DONE TO THE REPORT FILLED FROM THE NATIONAL CONFERENCE, THOSE GUYS WERE PAID WITH TAXPAYERS MONEY AND WE STIL DIDNT HERE ANY OUTCOME angry

I feel you bro. Its painful.
Re: Do We Truly Need A Senate? by mcfynest(m): 7:57am On Nov 28, 2014
donphilopus:

You're soliciting for their sack because they're threatening the Presidency with impeachment?! Why not also ask for the sack of the States House of Assemblies since it has become the body in which the Presidency threatens his perceived enemies/opposition Governors with impeachment?!

MUST EVERYTHING BE APC/PDP
Re: Do We Truly Need A Senate? by dunkem21(m): 8:02am On Nov 28, 2014
donphilopus:

You and I know that the presidency is not threatened. There will be no impeachment.

I am just concerned and furious the way these charlatans run our affairs. The house of assembly has been shut for over a month now without deliberations, passage of bills etc ..just because of a mere defection. ..and they will back on 3rd to start a 'free for all'.
Re: Do We Truly Need A Senate? by donphilopus: 8:08am On Nov 28, 2014
dunkem21:

You and I know that the presidency is not threatened. There will be no impeachment.

I am just concerned and furious the way these charlatans run our affairs. The house of assembly has been shut for over a month now without deliberations, passage of bills etc ..just because of a mere defection. ..and they will back on 3rd to start a 'free for all'.

There'll be nothing like free-for-all if the Presidency let the Speaker be!
Re: Do We Truly Need A Senate? by yuncka: 8:36am On Nov 28, 2014
mensdept:

2 Likes

Re: Do We Truly Need A Senate? by OrlandoOwoh(m): 8:44am On Nov 28, 2014
The cost of running a bicameral legislature is too expensive. The Senate should be scrapped while the House of Representatives remains, as they are the true representatives of the people.

2 Likes

Re: Do We Truly Need A Senate? by mcfynest(m): 6:03pm On Nov 28, 2014
OrlandoOwoh:
The cost of running a bicameral legislature is too expensive. The Senate should be scrapped while the House of Representatives remains, as they are the true representatives of the people.

#teamscrapsenate

1 Like

Re: Do We Truly Need A Senate? by Nobody: 6:29pm On Nov 28, 2014
I'll propose a 291-member unicameral National Assembly. Each state would be represented by 8 legislators, whilst the FCT would be repped by 3 legislators.

2 Likes

Re: Do We Truly Need A Senate? by mcfynest(m): 12:00am On Dec 07, 2014
CFCfan:
I'll propose a 291-member unicameral National Assembly. Each state would be represented by 8 legislators, whilst the FCT would be repped by 3 legislators.

cool coo. Seconded
Re: Do We Truly Need A Senate? by Nobody: 12:05am On Dec 07, 2014
mcfynest:

cool coo. Seconded
Yeah, that's a cost-effective way of reducing the recurrent expenditure
Re: Do We Truly Need A Senate? by mcfynest(m): 7:34pm On Dec 14, 2014
CFCfan:

Yeah, that's a cost-effective way of reducing the recurrent expenditure

Yea, and plus this austerity measure thingy....it is well
Re: Do We Truly Need A Senate? by slimfit1(m): 7:45pm On Dec 14, 2014
We need non payed senate with pastors and imams
Re: Do We Truly Need A Senate? by subnormal: 9:59pm On Dec 14, 2014
I am also in support of scrapping one of the two cjambers, preferably the senate. While we are at it, we can scrap the minister of state and special adviser roles.
Re: Do We Truly Need A Senate? by mcfynest(m): 7:44am On Dec 15, 2014
subnormal:
I am also in support of scrapping one of the two cjambers, preferably the senate. While we are at it, we can scrap the minister of state and special adviser roles.

Yes, thr minister of state also baffles me, why the heck do we need it? But i think special advisers are there to councel the president on issues concerning different aspect if theeconomy
Re: Do We Truly Need A Senate? by IdomaLikita: 8:18am On Dec 15, 2014
Unfortunately, only the senate can vote itself out of existence which they won't! So we are stuck with the Demons who eat 25% of our entire GDP for as long as Nigeria lasts!

1 Like

Re: Do We Truly Need A Senate? by mcfynest(m): 8:54am On Dec 15, 2014
You mean that is what is written? Ok why dont we start a crusade and see if they would not scrap the senate, minister of state and many other duplicated posts.

1 Like

Re: Do We Truly Need A Senate? by Nobody: 9:00am On Dec 15, 2014
We need a parliamentary style of government, U.K style.
Re: Do We Truly Need A Senate? by jamace(m): 7:58pm On Feb 07, 2015
National confab report should be implemented now. We can not continue like this.
Re: Do We Truly Need A Senate? by tobechi74: 8:12pm On Feb 07, 2015
mcfynest:
GOOD MORNING FELLAS, HAVE BEEN THINKING, DO WE REALY NEED A HOUSE OF ASSEMBLY IN THE SYSTEM OF GOVERNMENT WE ARE OPERATING I mean[b]the cost of governance is too high and we should scrap the Senate since we need only one Legislative House. Senegal got rid of its senate in 2012 to save money[/b]

PLEASE YOUR VIEWS AND PLEASE PARDON MY LACK OF INDEPT UNDERSTANDING OF GOVERNMENT.

THANKS

and house of assemby
Re: Do We Truly Need A Senate? by mcfynest(m): 9:38pm On Feb 09, 2015
tobechi74:

and house of assemby

you in spirit bro

(1) (Reply)

Woman In Hijab Caught With Bomb At Murtala Kano Hospital / Would You Denounce Your Nigerian Citizenship For N20M+USA Citizenship? / 15 Facts About Buhari's Running Mate

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 30
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.