Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,302 members, 7,780,707 topics. Date: Thursday, 28 March 2024 at 08:08 PM

My '08 Honda Accord Makes Grinding Sound At Cold Start - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / My '08 Honda Accord Makes Grinding Sound At Cold Start (4020 Views)

My Car Exaust Smokes White Only On Cold Start Up. What Is Wrong? / Help- Vsa/caution Light On 08 Honda Pilot / Help Pls! My 08 Crv Radio Got Locked. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

My '08 Honda Accord Makes Grinding Sound At Cold Start by OZAMMS(m): 8:34am On Nov 28, 2014
Gurus in the house my car makes a grinding sound in the mornings when its cold at the first start and when its parked for some hours in the day time,if i turn car off and try again the sound will be gone,i have been using it like that for over a year now i want a solution n i am Abuja.ont=Lucida Sans Unicode][/font]
Re: My '08 Honda Accord Makes Grinding Sound At Cold Start by AutosBay(m): 9:04am On Nov 28, 2014
There may be air bubbles or foam in the power steering reservoir. The noise usually goes away when the engine warms up.

PROBABLE CAUSE: Air is entering the power steering pump through the inlet joint O-ring. This causes bubbles to form in the power steering fluid, leading to reduced pump performance.

CORRECTIVE ACTION: Replace the O-ring on the power steering pump inlet joint.

The second thing that could be the cause is probably the solenoid has failed for the VTC (Variable Timing Control).

Source: www.driveaccord.net/forums
Re: My '08 Honda Accord Makes Grinding Sound At Cold Start by OZAMMS(m): 9:29am On Nov 28, 2014
AutosBay:
There may be air bubbles or foam in the power steering reservoir. The noise usually goes away when the engine warms up.

PROBABLE CAUSE: Air is entering the power steering pump through the inlet joint O-ring. This causes bubbles to form in the power steering fluid, leading to reduced pump performance.

CORRECTIVE ACTION: Replace the O-ring on the power steering pump inlet joint.

The second thing that could be the cause is probably the solenoid has failed for the VTC (Variable Timing Control). Thx for yr time but pls what if Is the second VTC Is it to be changer completely?

Source: www.driveaccord.net/forums
Re: My '08 Honda Accord Makes Grinding Sound At Cold Start by OZAMMS(m): 9:35am On Nov 28, 2014
Thx for yr time,pls what Is d corrective action for the second cause VTC soleneid failure.
Re: My '08 Honda Accord Makes Grinding Sound At Cold Start by AutosBay(m): 10:02am On Nov 28, 2014
Most Common Solutions:
1) not sure (30 reports)
2) replace the VTC (variable timing control) 3) actuator (28 reports)
4) replaced power steering pump (1 reports)
5) replaced the starter (1 reports)
6) starter replaced (1 reports)
7) vtc actuator update (1 reports)

Follow this link http://www.carcomplaints.com/Honda/Accord/2008/engine/grinding_noise_from_engine_with_cold_temp_startup.shtml
Re: My '08 Honda Accord Makes Grinding Sound At Cold Start by GAZZUZZ(m): 2:26am On Nov 29, 2014
The second thing that could be the cause is probably the solenoid has failed for the VTC (Variable Timing Control).
If this failed there would be a CEL. Have your vehicle scanned.

What vehicle is it? What engine type? What engine oil do u use?.
Re: My '08 Honda Accord Makes Grinding Sound At Cold Start by lonelydora: 9:01am On Nov 29, 2014
Before you replace the O - ring.

Does the reservoir bubble when the car is on? If Yes, first bleed (which has its own technique) off the air in the power steering system (assuming you have the required level in the reservoir).

Check for leaks on the system, no matter how small, it makes the power system to lose the required pressure.

If all of the above is satisfied, then change the O - ring, hoping you know there's OEM O-ring. Don't buy the fake ones.

I may not be a car guru, but this simple solution worked for me.
Re: My '08 Honda Accord Makes Grinding Sound At Cold Start by Devirus2: 9:16am On Nov 29, 2014
My brother, kindly email me if it works for you, cos I've been having the same problem as well but mine's a toyota camry.

Thanks chykee4real@gmail.com
Re: My '08 Honda Accord Makes Grinding Sound At Cold Start by senator2k9(m): 12:47pm On Nov 30, 2014
Bros, pls kindly check the oil pump...its located inside d engine. And also, does the oil light on ur dash board takes much tym before it goes off?? Pls observe carefully aN change dat oil pump before u kill dat engine. Perhaps d oil pressure is too low and might damage ur top cylinder anytime soon. Thanks
Re: My '08 Honda Accord Makes Grinding Sound At Cold Start by Devirus2: 12:09am On Dec 11, 2014
@ozamms, kindly gimme ur phone number, cos I'm having the same problem with my 2005 toyota camry and I'm also in abuja. So we can find a solution. Thank you
Re: My '08 Honda Accord Makes Grinding Sound At Cold Start by abbeYhart(m): 7:53am On Dec 11, 2014
I have been looking for where to get this o-ring in Lagos for a 2005 Honda accord V6. Could you guys suggest where I can get one in Lagos?
Re: My '08 Honda Accord Makes Grinding Sound At Cold Start by erico2k2(m): 5:10pm On Dec 11, 2014
[quote author=abbeYhart post=28776635]I have been looking for where to get this o-ring in Lagos for a 2005 Honda accord V6. Could you guys suggest where I can get one in Lagos?[/quot
Have you tried Amzon.com?
Re: My '08 Honda Accord Makes Grinding Sound At Cold Start by abbeYhart(m): 9:06pm On Dec 11, 2014
[quote author=erico2k2 post=28793248][/quote]

No I have not.
Re: My '08 Honda Accord Makes Grinding Sound At Cold Start by Piyke: 1:08pm On Dec 12, 2014
abbeYhart:
I have been looking for where to get this o-ring in Lagos for a 2005 Honda accord V6. Could you guys suggest where I can get one in Lagos?

[quote author=erico2k2 post=28793248][/quote]

If Amazon would take your time, pull out the o-ring from the car and take it to Naija parts market to the section that sells seals. You should be able to get the size there. Don't tell them you're looking for o-ring grin cos no one would likely know what it is. I think the size is 13X1.9mm if I'm not mistaken
Re: My '08 Honda Accord Makes Grinding Sound At Cold Start by OZAMMS(m): 10:48pm On Dec 12, 2014
senator2k9:
Bros, pls kindly check the oil pump...its located inside d engine. And also, does the oil light on ur dash board takes much tym before it goes off?? Pls observe carefully aN change dat oil pump before u kill dat engine. Perhaps d oil pressure is too low and might damage ur top cylinder anytime soon. Thanks

Thanks but i think if its the oil pump for 2yrs now the engine would ve since gone also the light doesnt take time to go off.
Re: My '08 Honda Accord Makes Grinding Sound At Cold Start by Inception(m): 12:00am On Dec 13, 2014
it is your VTC actuator. are you using the right grade of oil?
Re: My '08 Honda Accord Makes Grinding Sound At Cold Start by abbeYhart(m): 7:34pm On Dec 13, 2014
@piyke

Infact, I have told some mechanics before now about the o-ring.They look dumbfounded most times as if I am speaking spanish. I ll jst do like you said..Thanks!
Re: My '08 Honda Accord Makes Grinding Sound At Cold Start by Nobody: 10:43am On Dec 18, 2014
What type of oil have you been using?

It could have a high viscosity when the temperature is low, causing poor lubrication when the engine is cold.
Re: My '08 Honda Accord Makes Grinding Sound At Cold Start by Mcdonelldouglas(m): 9:11am On Feb 03, 2015
That honda year and model has a manufacturing flaw. If your engine uses oil then it should be a low oil level.
Re: My '08 Honda Accord Makes Grinding Sound At Cold Start by OZAMMS(m): 9:25pm On Mar 22, 2015
I think its the VTC but how do i replace it
Re: My '08 Honda Accord Makes Grinding Sound At Cold Start by earthrealm(m): 9:20pm On Mar 23, 2015
what grade of oil are you using?...this might be a simple problem caused by using wrong grade oil.
anybody using 20w 50 for any 2005 upwatrds car is looking for trouble............n the person will definetly get that trouble!!!!!
Re: My '08 Honda Accord Makes Grinding Sound At Cold Start by disloman(m): 7:43pm On Mar 24, 2015
@OP:Have u bn able 2 rectify d fault?If not,call me. i guess ur car carries 2.4 engine

(1) (Reply)

Factory. Tints For Cars. / Is Honda Really Bad? / How Do I Solve The Problem Of Premium Fuel

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 25
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.