Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,433 members, 7,808,546 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 01:17 PM

Astrology, Zodiac Signs And Christianity? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Astrology, Zodiac Signs And Christianity? (11846 Views)

Poll: Should a Christian associate him/herself with zodiac signs?

Yes, there's nothing wrong with it: 33% (6 votes)
No, because it is no where in the bible: 11% (2 votes)
Hell no, it is DEMONIC!!!: 55% (10 votes)
This poll has ended

The Difference Between RELIGION And CHRISTIANITY. / Are Roman Catholicism And Christianity The Same Thing? / Mention Few Common Practices Between Islam And Christianity. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Astrology, Zodiac Signs And Christianity? by AKO1(m): 9:58pm On Nov 29, 2008
I was thinking about it earlier today. .

I've never really been amused by the concept but I know that a lot of Christians associate themselves with the zodiac signs and temperaments that astrologers say they have, by virtue of the month they were born in.

I am aware (so far) that this thing doesn't have scriptural backing or religious origins (and I may be wrong) and I don't associate myself with it. And that's not even the reason.

The reason is that the name of the sign of the month I was born in is a killer disease that I'd rather not call myself. Calling myself it doesn't sound right to my ears. So its not that I've concluded that its right or wrong, or I'm 'judging' anybody.

So what do you think, should a Christian do zodiac signs?  [size=5pt]yeah this is my own addition to all the should a christian blah blah series blah blah tongue[/size]
Re: Astrology, Zodiac Signs And Christianity? by jokepearl(f): 12:32pm On Nov 30, 2008
Nice one. I will really love to hear people thought on this, so dear friends share your opinion.

but i think there is a place in the bible where we are told not to visit psychics or observe the times Deut 18:9-10 but the question now is does the zodiac sign fall under this category?
Re: Astrology, Zodiac Signs And Christianity? by Image123(m): 10:59pm On Nov 30, 2008
Deuteronomy 18:10 There shall not be found among you any one that maketh his son or his daughter to pass through the fire, or that useth divination, or an observer of times, or an enchanter, or a witch,
Deu 18:11 Or a charmer, or a consulter with familiar spirits, or a wizard, or a necromancer.
Deu 18:12 For all that do these things are an abomination unto the LORD: and because of these abominations the LORD thy God doth drive them out from before thee.

That is clear warning to stay clear of such things and watever new names they may now have.B T W,the Spirit of God clearly outshines such things.Check out the case of Daniel in Babylon.Be filled with the spirit.That's speaking from christianity view oo as you asked.The "others" may not see anything wrong with it.

A.K.O, how do I change a topic of a thread if I want to
Re: Astrology, Zodiac Signs And Christianity? by jobirash(m): 8:11am On Dec 02, 2008
i was introduc to zodiac signs by my dad when i was young and i learn from then to follow zodiac signs. i was also told by a girl on our first date how zodiac works for her and she bids me to try it more which i did. but to my disappointment, i found out that what this signs are saying is different from what i know from the bible. Since then i decide to read more of my daily guide. (spiritualy backed)
my point is zodiac signs or astrology shouldnt be found in christains, there are devices from th e devil. PUT YOUR TRUST IN GOD, HE WILL GUIDE YOU.
Re: Astrology, Zodiac Signs And Christianity? by kokorunna(m): 2:57pm On Dec 02, 2008
All those zodiac signs and astrologers are just acts and weapons of the devil, christians should not associated with it.

www.churchwhereabouts.com smiley
Re: Astrology, Zodiac Signs And Christianity? by KunleOshob(m): 4:21pm On Dec 02, 2008
Well i don't know about zodiac signs but i read in the book of enoch that it was the angels that taught men astrology. There is still a lot of debat as to the real motif of the catholic church for excluding this book from the bible as the early christians considered it scriptural. A refernce to the time angels lived with men and taught them several things is in the book of genesis chapter 6
Re: Astrology, Zodiac Signs And Christianity? by KunleOshob(m): 4:46pm On Dec 02, 2008
Execerpts from the book of Enoch which stated how Angels interacted with men at the beginning of Ages.

Chapter 6
1 And it came to pass when the children of men had multiplied that in those days were born unto them beautiful and comely daughters. 2 And the angels, the children of the heaven, saw and lusted after them, and said to one another: 'Come, let us choose us wives from among the children of men 3 and beget us children.' And Semjaza, who was their leader, said unto them: 'I fear ye will not 4 indeed agree to do this deed, and I alone shall have to pay the penalty of a great sin.' And they all answered him and said: 'Let us all swear an oath, and all bind ourselves by mutual imprecations 5 not to abandon this plan but to do this thing.' Then sware they all together and bound themselves 6 by mutual imprecations upon it. And they were in all two hundred; who descended in the days of Jared on the summit of Mount Hermon, and they called it Mount Hermon, because they had sworn 7 and bound themselves by mutual imprecations upon it. And these are the names of their leaders: Samlazaz, their leader, Araklba, Rameel, Kokablel, Tamlel, Ramlel, Danel, Ezeqeel, Baraqijal, 8 Asael, Armaros, Batarel, Ananel, Zaq1el, Samsapeel, Satarel, Turel, Jomjael, Sariel. These are their chiefs of tens.

Chapter 7
1 And all the others together with them took unto themselves wives, and each chose for himself one, and they began to go in unto them and to defile themselves with them, and they taught them charms
2and enchantments, and the cutting of roots, and made them acquainted with plants. And they 3 became pregnant, and they bare great giants, whose height was three thousand ells: Who consumed
4 all the acquisitions of men. And when men could no longer sustain them, the giants turned against
5 them and devoured mankind. And they began to sin against birds, and beasts, and reptiles, and
6 fish, and to devour one another's flesh, and drink the blood. Then the earth laid accusation against the lawless ones.

Chapter 8
1 And Azazel taught men to make swords, and knives, and shields, and breastplates, and made known to them the metals of the earth and the art of working them, and bracelets, and ornaments, and the use of antimony, and the beautifying of the eyelids, and all kinds of costly stones, and all 2 colouring tinctures. And there arose much godlessness, and they committed fornication, and they 3 were led astray, and became corrupt in all their ways. Semjaza taught enchantments, and root-cuttings, 'Armaros the resolving of enchantments, Baraqijal (taught) astrology, Kokabel the constellations, Ezeqeel the knowledge of the clouds, Araqiel the signs of the earth, Shamsiel the signs of the sun, and Sariel the course of the moon. And as men perished, they cried, and their cry went up to heaven . . .

Chapter 9
1 And then Michael, Uriel, Raphael, and Gabriel looked down from heaven and saw much blood being
2 shed upon the earth, and all lawlessness being wrought upon the earth. And they said one to another: 'The earth made without inhabitant cries the voice of their cryingst up to the gates of heaven. 3 And now to you, the holy ones of heaven, the souls of men make their suit, saying, "Bring our cause 4 before the Most High."' And they said to the Lord of the ages: 'Lord of lords, God of gods, King of kings, and God of the ages, the throne of Thy glory (standeth) unto all the generations of the 5 ages, and Thy name holy and glorious and blessed unto all the ages! Thou hast made all things, and power over all things hast Thou: and all things are naked and open in Thy sight, and Thou seest all 6 things, and nothing can hide itself from Thee. Thou seest what Azazel hath done, who hath taught all unrighteousness on earth and revealed the eternal secrets which were (preserved) in heaven, which 7 men were striving to learn: And Semjaza, to whom Thou hast given authority to bear rule over his associates. And they have gone to the daughters of men upon the earth, and have slept with the 9 women, and have defiled themselves, and revealed to them all kinds of sins. And the women have 10 borne giants, and the whole earth has thereby been filled with blood and unrighteousness. And now, behold, the souls of those who have died are crying and making their suit to the gates of heaven, and their lamentations have ascended: and cannot cease because of the lawless deeds which are 11 wrought on the earth. And Thou knowest all things before they come to pass, and Thou seest these things and Thou dost suffer them, and Thou dost not say to us what we are to do to them in regard to these.'

Even though i can't vouch for the authencity of this book of Enoch the above excerpts seem to be a more complete account of the genesis 6 story which i would post below for comparision

Genesis 6: 1-4
1 Then the people began to multiply on the earth, and daughters were born to them. 2 The sons of God saw the beautiful women and took any they wanted as their wives. 3 Then the Lord said, “My Spirit will not put up with[b] humans for such a long time, for they are only mortal flesh. In the future, their normal lifespan will be no more than 120 years.”

4 In those days, and for some time after, giant Nephilites lived on the earth, for whenever the[b] sons of God had intercourse with women, they gave birth to children who became the heroes and famous warriors of ancient times.[/b]
Re: Astrology, Zodiac Signs And Christianity? by Image123(m): 9:32pm On Dec 02, 2008
@kunleoshob
Who is responsible for those numbers/verses in your book of enoch.the numbers make it look more fake
grin grin

@ A.k.O
Thanks I saw your message
Re: Astrology, Zodiac Signs And Christianity? by Bastage: 12:56am On Dec 03, 2008
Some evidence shows that early Christianity had no problem with astrology and if one takes the story of the Wise Men at the Nativity, it can only be looked at as Astrology - they followed the Star. Rather than a physical movement of an astral body, this was probably an astrological projection. Some would say otherwise, but the fact that astrology played such a big part in the lives of people back then cannot be overlooked.
Also, when one looks at Revelation, one can't help but notice that it's full of astral illusions.

The fact is, people back then treated Astrology as a science and it wasn't frowned upon as the mystical hocus-pocus that it is now. Christianity only distanced itself from Astrology once it was realised that it isn't the factual science it claimed to be. The Emporer Constantine seems to be the major figure in the demise of Astrology where it was connected to Christianity, although he did tie in some important dates to the equinoxes with the Christian calendar.
Re: Astrology, Zodiac Signs And Christianity? by jobirash(m): 9:37am On Dec 03, 2008
@kunleos
have we met? i think i know you.
i like your write ups but i didnt quite understand your point on this topic.
Re: Astrology, Zodiac Signs And Christianity? by jokepearl(f): 12:43pm On Dec 03, 2008
Assuming KunleOshob post is true, that means one can come to the conclusion that its demonic then since the fallen angels are demons now.

But that apart most that, people that go into this method to know their future is acting from fear and and can't trust the God that says he has a future for us. we have the holyspirit now so he can teach me all things.

@kunleoshob
Where did you get that from?
Re: Astrology, Zodiac Signs And Christianity? by Olumitide(m): 1:33pm On Dec 03, 2008
Who knows who came to down to earth,all abalze with lust?They weren't angels. God says he doesn't call angels 'son', Are they not ministering spirits sent to minister to the children of grace? Or something like that,in the New Testament. God even challenged any angel or person to come forward and declare when He has eversaid to an Angel, "You are my son, today I am your father."

So those things that came to earth might not be angels, and since they like booty, which isn't a characteristic of angels, who knows? And their offspring weren't yabbed, they were called Nephilim, men of reknown. The devil had rebelled and been thrown out of the presence of God with his Demons long before men were created. So they didn't see girls, lust and then leave heaven to come and have sex.

As for astrology and zodiac signs,when I was younger I found that the traits associated with my zodiac signs were eerily accurate. I think it fell into disrepute because it was inculcated into occultic practices.
Re: Astrology, Zodiac Signs And Christianity? by KunleOshob(m): 2:18pm On Dec 03, 2008
Olumitide:

Who knows who came to down to earth,all abalze with lust?They weren't angels. God says he doesn't call angels 'son', Are they not ministering spirits sent to minister to the children of grace? Or something like that,in the New Testament. God even challenged any angel or person to come forward and declare when He has eversaid to an Angel, "You are my son, today I am your father."

Could you back up the highlighted with scripture?

@ All
We also have to consider that astrology's twin brother astronomy is involved in our daily lives, dates that is the year, month and length of the day were all determined and measured by astronomy and our daily lives are guided by these dates. Also the Vatican as a giant observatory with which they study the stars, they also finance another observatory in the southern hemisphere to observe that region of the stars as well. The reasons are not very clear to me though, but i believe the catholic church knows a lot more about christianity and it's origins than any other sect. it is an open secret that they excluded lot of books from the bible and the original manuscripts of these books are beng secretly kept in the vatican.

jobi rash:

@kunleos
have we met? i think i know you.
i like your write ups but i didnt quite understand your point on this topic.

I am not sure of my point either, i am just sharing information i came across that seem to be related to the topic.
Re: Astrology, Zodiac Signs And Christianity? by Olumitide(m): 3:02pm On Dec 03, 2008
HEBREWS 1:1-14

1 God, after He spoke long ago to the fathers in the prophets in many portions and in many ways, 2 in these last days has spoken to us in His Son, whom He appointed heir of all things, through whom also He made the world. 3 And He is the radiance of His glory and the exact representation of His nature, and upholds all things by the word of His power. When He had made purification of sins, He sat down at the right hand of the Majesty on high, 4 having become as much better than the angels, as He has inherited a more excellent name than they.
5 For to which of the angels did He ever say,
“YOU ARE MY SON,
TODAY I HAVE BEGOTTEN YOU”?
And again,
“I WILL BE A FATHER TO HIM
AND HE SHALL BE A SON TO ME”?
6 And when He again brings the firstborn into the world, He says,
“AND LET ALL THE ANGELS OF GOD WORSHIP HIM.”
7 And of the angels He says,
“WHO MAKES HIS ANGELS WINDS,
AND HIS MINISTERS A FLAME OF FIRE.”
---
13 But to which of the angels has He ever said,
“SIT AT MY RIGHT HAND,
UNTIL I MAKE YOUR ENEMIES
A FOOTSTOOL FOR YOUR FEET”?
14 Are they not all ministering spirits, sent out to render service for the sake of those who will inherit salvation?

It continues in that vein until verse 14.
Re: Astrology, Zodiac Signs And Christianity? by ow11(m): 3:11pm On Dec 03, 2008
I think It is relative and is not demonic but also not a very smart way to live. We should look up to God to guide and protect us in our daily lives and not what some coming together of stars would tell us.
Re: Astrology, Zodiac Signs And Christianity? by KunleOshob(m): 3:38pm On Dec 03, 2008
@olumitide
I see your point, but i think we are both in order it is actually a translation issue i checked strong's hebrew dictionary and discovered that the word son is a loosely used word in hebrew language and could have many meanings. A good comparision is when the phrase"children of Israel" is use in the bible.
Re: Astrology, Zodiac Signs And Christianity? by PastorAIO: 8:46pm On Dec 03, 2008
KunleOshob:

@olumitide
I see your point, but i think we are both in order it is actually a translation issue i checked strong's hebrew dictionary and discovered that the word son is a loosely used word in hebrew language and could have many meanings. A good comparision is when the phrase"children of Israel" is use in the bible.

And while we are still on the subject of 'translation issues' . . . What does Angel actually mean? The Hebrew word is Malik and it means simply envoy, ambassador, messenger, oniranse (yoruba). In the NT it is Angelos which in greek simply means, again, messenger. Isaiah was an angel, Jesus was an angel, your pastor is an angel. When my senior brother sends me across town to buy something for him I am his angel. When sent by God, one is an angel of the Lord.

Angel is not a species of creation, yet there are many species of creation that are angels. Many of these are the heavenly hosts of which there are numerous species. Cherubim and Seraphim are the two that spring most readily to mind. Cherubim are not anything like those rotund babies with wings that are painted or that stand above fountains with little joysticks peeing into the fountain. A cherubim is a Lion with the wings of an Eagle.

The Sons of God that fancied the daughters of men are not Angels unless God sent them. I don't think that they are cherubim either because I suspect that cherubim are without gender. I do not think that their offspring are necessarily the Nephilim either because what the bible says is that the Nephilim were around during that time and after, but did not say that they were the offspring. Rather the offspring were men of Renown. That's it. However it is interesting to learn that the Book of Enoch does say that the offspring are the Giants.
Re: Astrology, Zodiac Signs And Christianity? by Horus(m): 9:28pm On Dec 18, 2008
Jesus (Cleophas, Jesus-Justus; Colossians 4:11) is the Capricorn of the 12th sign, 12th month of the zodiac; and astrology is Amam's (Leviathan's) religion along with tarot cards, and ouija boards and psychics. This is their way of getting in contact with those familiar (disagreeable) spirits. The zodiac, an ancient Babylonian word for animals, has many forms such as the dog, monkey, eagle, serpent, crocodile, etc. that are not shown in almanacs, dictionaries, and encyclopedias. Although this stems from ancient Tama-Re “Egypt,” as everything does, it was distorted and altered from its original meaning.
For instance, Zodiakos is the Egyptian Netert “female deity” Hat-Har “Hathor” and the Temple of Denderah was attributed to her, and is where the original immaculate conception took place with Aset “Isis” to conceive Haru “Horus.”
Re: Astrology, Zodiac Signs And Christianity? by AKO1(m): 9:33pm On Dec 18, 2008
Horus:

Jesus (Cleophas, Jesus-Justus; Colossians 4:11) is the Capricorn of the 12th sign, 12th month of the zodiac; and astrology is Amam's (Leviathan's) religion along with tarot cards, and ouija boards and psychics. This is their way of getting in contact with those familiar (disagreeable) spirits. The zodiac, an ancient Babylonian word for animals, has many forms such as the dog, monkey, eagle, serpent, crocodile, etc. that are not shown in almanacs, dictionaries, and encyclopedias. Although this stems from ancient Tama-Re “Egypt,” as everything does, it was distorted and altered from its original meaning.
For instance, Zodiakos is the Egyptian Netert “female deity” Hat-Har “Hathor” and the Temple of Denderah was attributed to her, and is where the original immaculate conception took place with Aset “Isis” to conceive Haru “Horus.”

Ermm. . . I wasnt exactly asking for the meaning of the zodiac. undecided
Re: Astrology, Zodiac Signs And Christianity? by teresavp: 5:48am On Jul 08, 2010
I think that  the zodiac is great! It teaches us how to get along with all the individual personalities. but I o believe that the bottom line is Christ! Those of you who have studied , Please respond ! I fully understand the christian view as I am one. And I believe that all things lead back to Christ and his love ! Does anyone have a different story and proof ? Would love to hear it . Thanks
Re: Astrology, Zodiac Signs And Christianity? by tpiah: 7:08am On Jul 08, 2010
some do choose their friends, partners and important decisions based on this.
Re: Astrology, Zodiac Signs And Christianity? by vinmol: 4:16pm On Jul 09, 2010
the bible is clear about this, do not seek the dead or other medium to know your future
God hates it!
Re: Astrology, Zodiac Signs And Christianity? by PastorAIO: 4:33pm On Jul 09, 2010
vinmol:

the bible is clear about this, do not seek the dead or other medium to know your future
God hates it!

Who said astrology is just for knowing the future?

Do you watch weather report? Why do you want to know the future weather?

There is no such thing as science that cannot make prognosis. Where did God say he hates prognosis?
Re: Astrology, Zodiac Signs And Christianity? by tpiah: 6:20pm On Jul 09, 2010
^^stop twisting things plz.

anyone is free to follow astrology but no need to start misquoting stuff to fit your own non-Christian views.
Re: Astrology, Zodiac Signs And Christianity? by PastorAIO: 10:39am On Jul 10, 2010
tpiah:

^^stop twisting things plz.

anyone is free to follow astrology but no need to start misquoting stuff to fit your own non-Christian views.

Misquoting?  I'm not even aware that I've quoted anything. 

The bible is against necromancy, yes.   But what did he mean by other medium?  I haven't twisted anything but merely asked a question.  Is God against science of all kinds because all sciences seek to make prognosis.  Or is it prognosises? 

Non-christian. lipsrsealed
Re: Astrology, Zodiac Signs And Christianity? by Chuksxp: 1:48am On Feb 18, 2012
All the counsel you have received has only worn you out! Let your astrologers come forward, those stargazers who make predictions month by month, let them save you from what is coming upon you. Surely they are like stubble; the fire will burn them up. - Isaiah 47:13,14
Re: Astrology, Zodiac Signs And Christianity? by plaetton: 5:17am On Feb 18, 2012
The entire christian narrative about the birth, ministry, crucifiction , resurection and ascension of jesus are just metaphors for Sun-cycle astrology. The original symbol of the early christians was the fish because jesus came to herald the age of pisces. All his dicliples were fishers or fishermen. Jesus fed the multitude with fish(a metaphor for new knowledge).
He was born on dec 25th, shortly after the winter solstice as the earth begins a new journey around the sun. He had twelve diisciples reperenting the twelve signs of the zodiak, including most notably, judas as the backbiting scorpio.
At age 33 he begins his ministry( the sun is brightest at noon when it is at an angle of 33 degrees).
Thereafter, the sun of god begins to go down towards the west(Jerusalem) where it eventually it is slain and then[b] rises [/b] two days later as the east-star..

Astrology was so much a part of ancient Isrealite life that it has been theorized that jews rejected the kingship of jesus as their messaiah simply because he was born on the wrong month. An heir to the throne of Isreal had to be concieved and born on certain astrologically propitious months.

I wonder why christians dont read their bibles to really understand the messages being coveyed on the passages.
If you doubt that the bible is a book of astrology, simply read and re-read genesis 49 when Jacob was blessing his twelve children shortly before his death. Each of his twelve sons represents each sign of the zodiak.
Daaaaah.
Let me help you out here.

Aries- Gad, ‘a troop shall press upon him; but he shall press upon their heel,’ is Aries the Ram. Aries, being the first sign of the zodiac, ‘presses upon their heel’ in the circular zodiac. Gad is described as “a warrior, chief of his army,” very apt for the sign ruled by warlike Mars.

Taurus- Issachar, ‘a gelded donkey lying down in the cattle pens’. Personally, I am not sure how a donkey equates to a bull. But both are beasts of burden.

Gemini- Simeon and Levi, ‘the brethren,’ are Gemini, the Twins. (Note: Others place them in Pisces, as the two fishes.)

Cancer- Benjamin, ‘ravening as a wolf, devouring his prey by morning, dividing the spoil at night,’ is Cancer the Crab. Cancer may viewed here as either food-oriented, acquisitive, or both.

Leo- Judah, ‘the lion’s whelp,’ is obviously Leo the Lion.

Virgo- Virgo is ‘veiled,’ and is correlated with Dinah, Jacob’s daughter, who is described in Genesis 30:21. This seems MUCH more logical than assigning a male personage to this sign.

Libra- Asher, ‘the weigher of bread,’ is Libra, the Scales or Balance.

Scorpio- Dan, ‘a serpent in the way,’ is Scorpio, who is variously pictured as a Scorpion, Snake, and Eagle.

Sagittarius- Joseph, ‘whose bow abides in strength,’ is of course the sign of the archer Sagittarius.

Capricorn- Nephtali, ‘a hind let loose,’ is Capricorn the Goat.

Aquarius- Reuben, ‘boiling over with water,’ is Aquarius, who holds a vase or cup and pours out the waters of the New Age.

Pisces- Zebulon, ‘who shall dwell at the beach of the sea,’ is Pisces, the two Fishes. How many beachfront parks are named Zebulon? Oodles, that’s how many.
Re: Astrology, Zodiac Signs And Christianity? by PastorAIO: 3:12pm On Feb 18, 2012
plaetton:

The entire christian narrative about the birth, ministry, crucifiction , resurection and ascension of jesus are just metaphors for Sun-cycle astrology. The original symbol of the early christians was the fish because jesus came to herald the age of pisces. All his dicliples were fishers or fishermen. Jesus fed the multitude with fish(a metaphor for new knowledge).
He was born on dec 25th, shortly after the winter solstice as the earth begins a new journey around the sun. He had twelve diisciples reperenting the twelve signs of the zodiak, including most notably, judas as the backbiting scorpio.
At age 33 he begins his ministry( the sun is brightest at noon when it is at an angle of 33 degrees).
Thereafter, the sun of god begins to go down towards the west(Jerusalem) where it eventually it is slain and then[b] rises [/b] two days later as the east-star..

Astrology was so much a part of ancient Isrealite life that it has been theorized that jews rejected the kingship of jesus as their messaiah simply because he was born on the wrong month. An heir to the throne of Isreal had to be concieved and born on certain astrologically propitious months.

I wonder why christians dont read their bibles to really understand the messages being coveyed on the passages.
If you doubt that the bible is a book of astrology, simply read and re-read genesis 49 when Jacob was blessing his twelve children shortly before his death. Each of his twelve sons represents each sign of the zodiak.
Daaaaah.
Let me help you out here.

Aries- Gad, ‘a troop shall press upon him; but he shall press upon their heel,’ is Aries the Ram. Aries, being the first sign of the zodiac, ‘presses upon their heel’ in the circular zodiac. Gad is described as “a warrior, chief of his army,” very apt for the sign ruled by warlike Mars.

Taurus- Issachar, ‘a gelded donkey lying down in the cattle pens’. Personally, I am not sure how a donkey equates to a bull. But both are beasts of burden.

Gemini- Simeon and Levi, ‘the brethren,’ are Gemini, the Twins. (Note: Others place them in Pisces, as the two fishes.)

Cancer- Benjamin, ‘ravening as a wolf, devouring his prey by morning, dividing the spoil at night,’ is Cancer the Crab. Cancer may viewed here as either food-oriented, acquisitive, or both.

Leo- Judah, ‘the lion’s whelp,’ is obviously Leo the Lion.

Virgo- Virgo is ‘veiled,’ and is correlated with Dinah, Jacob’s daughter, who is described in Genesis 30:21. This seems MUCH more logical than assigning a male personage to this sign.

Libra- Asher, ‘the weigher of bread,’ is Libra, the Scales or Balance.

Scorpio- Dan, ‘a serpent in the way,’ is Scorpio, who is variously pictured as a Scorpion, Snake, and Eagle.

Sagittarius- Joseph, ‘whose bow abides in strength,’ is of course the sign of the archer Sagittarius.

Capricorn- Nephtali, ‘a hind let loose,’ is Capricorn the Goat.

Aquarius- Reuben, ‘boiling over with water,’ is Aquarius, who holds a vase or cup and pours out the waters of the New Age.

Pisces- Zebulon, ‘who shall dwell at the beach of the sea,’ is Pisces, the two Fishes. How many beachfront parks are named Zebulon? Oodles, that’s how many.

We must guard against half baked knowledge. Yeah there is much astrological symbolism in the bible but most of what you wrote above is just wrong. to make an appropriate assessment we will need first a more thorough knowledge of the zodiac and astrology and then we'll need secondly a thorough knowledge of the bible and Hebrew lore and history.
Actually not just Hebrew lore but the lore of the entire levantine region from Arabia, to egypt to canaan and the mesopotamia all the way to prehistoric greece and mycenaean culture.

When the sun sets it does not rise 2 days later as an eastern star, Aries is not the first sign of the zodiac (not in hebrew lore), According to tradition Jesus didn't begin his ministry at 33 but at 30.

Of all the connections you made of the tribes and the zodiac only Gemini as Simeon was correct.
I'd have thought that it would be obvious to everyone that Joseph the dreamer would be pisces. He was thrown in a hole and then brought out again.
Re: Astrology, Zodiac Signs And Christianity? by PastorAIO: 3:13pm On Feb 18, 2012
Okay, you got Judah as Leo right too.
Re: Astrology, Zodiac Signs And Christianity? by plaetton: 4:52pm On Feb 18, 2012
@ pastor AIo:
Yes astrology goes back way before the judea christian era all the way to ancient egypt. Across ancient cultures,there were very slight variations as to which symbol represented each zodiak segment.
No can have a thorough knowledge of astrlogy and sure one is not needed in order to make informed statements on the subject.Most judeo Christian concepts essential have their roots from ancient egypt, it safe to assume the zodiak codes are of egyptian origin.
I am expressing a general idea that astrology is deapply embedded in Judeo-christian lore and practices. That is fact.
Yes , I stand to be corrected.The bible says 30yrs as the age when he began his ministry, but biblical historians put it at 33. But even at 30 Also, his ministry would have lasted 3yrs, when he was at the peak of his life.

The sun resurrects, a figure of speach two days after the vernal equinox (equal lenghts of day and night) in march to begin its dominion over nigh/ death(longer days and shorter nights).

No matter the details, you get the general gist.

I wish you would read genesis 49 and then tell me that you dont see any connection to astrology.
Re: Astrology, Zodiac Signs And Christianity? by plaetton: 4:57pm On Feb 18, 2012
Moreover,

Here are more connections between christian lore and astrology along with rebuttals from a christian perspective. Read and decide whether these connections are just coincidences.

Dont forget my post is in response to the op and others who were ignorantly castigating astrology without knowing the astrological roots for the very beliefs they profess.

1.  The sun 'dies' on the 22nd of december, the winter solstice, when it stops it's movement south, to be born again three days later on 25th december when it resumes it's movement northwards.  This period was originally in the star sign of VIRGO, hence the, born of a VIRGIN.

First of all, the sun doesn't move.  The Earth does.  Okay, so clearly the critic here is referring to the movement of the sun IN RELATION to the Earth.  In that case, it never stops moving because the Earth never stops moving.  There is no three-day period when the sun's movement in relation to the earth stops altogether.  It may appear to slow for those three days, but since the slowing of the movement is a gradual thing, one could argue that it 'stops' for the one, two, four, five, or six days around the winter solstice as well (it depends on how slow you consider 'stopping').  And besides all of that, Jesus' resurrection happened in the spring, not in December.  As for the period being 'originally in the sign of Virgo', Virgo is from August 23rd to September 22nd.  I've never heard of the winter solstice happening in the fall.

2.  The sun is the light of the world, cometh on clouds and every eye shall see him, wears a corona-crown of thorns and "walks on water" when it sets.

Yes, it's the light of the world, but clearly not in the same sense that Jesus is.  It doesn't 'cometh on clouds', but is far above the clouds.  Every eye (at least the non-blind ones) DO see the sun, not SHALL.  There are no thorns on the sun, and it doesn't walk on water.  Is the critic arguing that if you're standing on the shore watching the sun set over the ocean, it appears to walk on water?  Well, what if you're watching it set over a desert, or a city, or a mountain?  Does the sun also walk on deserts, cities, and mountains?

3.  The sun's 'followers' or 'disciples' are the 12 signs of the zodiac, through which the sun must pass.

How does the critic suppose that the zodiacal signs 'follow' the sun?  Yes, the sun passes through the signs.  Did Jesus 'pass through' his disciples?  All they're showing is a similarity of the number 12.  So anywhere we see twelve of something, it's based on the zodiac?  When I buy a dozen eggs, those eggs are representative of the twelve signs of the zodiac?

UPDATE: AnsweringInfidels.com makes another good point.  The 12 apostles were almost certainly assigned because of the 12 tribes of Judah.  Skeptics might say that 12 tribes of Judah were based on the zodiac, but the division of the twelve signs of the zodiac didn't occur until the 5th century B.C., well after the time of the 12 tribes.

4.  The sun enters each zodiac sign at an angle of 30 degrees- hence the SUN of GOD begins his ministry at the age of 30.

Again, this is just a similarity of the number 30.  Very weak.  How does a degree equal a year?  Does it take a year for the sun to move a single degree?  Of course not.  Also, this is a minor point, but the Bible says Jesus was 'about thirty', and historians place his age at closer to 33 or 34 when He began His ministry.  As for sun/son, again, this homonym is in the English language only.

5.  The sun passes through the vernal equinox at easter at which time the sun is resurrected.

I wasn't aware that the sun died, or that people thought it did.  The author of this list is taking words associated with Christianity and using them to create non-existent comparisons.  All we really have is that the sun passes through the vernal equinox at Easter.  Is Jesus supposed to have passed through the vernal equinox at Easter?  Does anything which passes through the vernal equinox at Easter die and get resurrected?  Besides that, Easter never falls on the vernal equinox, but is always later (sometimes over a month later).

6.  The sun at its zenith, or 12 noon, is in the house or heavenly temple of the 'Most High'; thus, 'he' begins 'his Father's work' at 'age' 12.

First of all, the Hebrews counted hours from dawn, not from midnight as we do, making the sun's zenith roughly the sixth hour of the day, not the twelfth.  Secondly, how does the critic here figure that the sun begins its work at noon?  Doesn't it begin its work at dawn?  It rises at dawn (roughly 6:00), so shouldn't we more accurately say that the sun begins its work at six, or zero?

7.  The sun is the 'Lion' when in Leo, the hottest time of the year, called the 'throne of the Lord.'

I'm not clear whether the critic here is saying that Leo is the 'throne of the Lord', or that the hottest time of the year is the 'throne of the Lord'.  Whichever it is, who calls it that?  This one appears to be further nonsense.

8.  The sun is 'betrayed' by the constellation of the Scorpion, the backbiter, the time of the year when the solar hero loses his strength.

How does the sun lose its strength?  Perhaps they mean that it's not quite as powerful in the northern hemisphere at this time (though, since its becoming more powerful in the southern hemisphere, this is an offset).  Also, Scorpio is from October 23rd to November 21st.  Yes, it becomes less powerful in the Northern hemisphere during this time, but it also becomes less powerful during the constellations preceding it and the one following it, so why is Scorpio being singled out here?  And what does the scorpion have to do with backbiting?  Yes, they occasionally bite people, but is there a significance to the back associated with them somehow?  Why not the 'footbiter' or the 'handbiter'?  I'm sure the outer extremities get bitten more often than the back.

9.  The sun is hung on a cross, which represents its pasing through the equinoxes, the vernal equinox being Easter.

This one is just nonsense.  As it passes through the equinoxes, it's moving in a straight line north-to-south or south-to-north.  How does a straight line make a cross?  What is the east-west line that the critics are imagining here?

10.  The sun does a 'stutter-step' at the winter solstice, unsure whether to return to life or 'resurrect,' doubted by this 'twin' Thomas.

Since the sun always heads back north at the winter solstice, how is it unsure of whether to 'return to life'?  That sounds pretty certain to me.  And how does its northward progression represent a 'return to life'?  Is its southward progression a 'return to death', then?  And what is the sun's twin in this metaphor?

For that matter, is there anything in the Bible suggesting that Jesus was unsure of whether to return to life?  And how did Thomas figure into this?  Thomas doubted, after the fact, that Jesus had returned to life.  Even if, hypothetically, Jesus had a choice to make as to whether to return to life, Thomas had no bearing on that decision.  And how is Thomas Jesus' twin?

In question five, they claim the sun's 'resurrection' happens in the spring solstice, and now they're claiming it happens in the winter solstice.  Is the sun 'resurrected' at every solstice, then?  Of course, in 'parallel' 15 (below) they say its rebirth happens every month!  Methinks the critics are a tad confused.

11. The sun of god is 'born of a virgin,' which refers to both the new or 'virgin' moon and the constellation of Virgo.

How is the sun born of a new moon?  Virgo is from August 23rd to September 22nd.  How is the sun 'born' during this period?

12.  The sun is the 'Carpenter' who builds his daily 'houses' or 12 two-hour divisions.

So is the critic claiming that the 24 hours of a day are created by the sun each day?  Not that I'm aware of.  And where does the '12 two-hour divisions' come into this?  Why not three eight-hour divisions or four six-hour divisions?  Is this supposed to be a reference to the zodiac?  So are the zodiacal signs created daily?  More nonsense.

13.  The sun is 'anointed' when its rays dip into the sea.

According to whom?

14.  The sun 'changes water into wine' by creating rain, ripening the grape on the vine and fermenting the grape juice.

Well, it does ripen the grape on the vine.  But it doesn't create rain or ferment the grape juice (most fermentation takes place indoors).

15.  When the sun is annually and monthly re-born, he brings life to the 'solar mummy,' his previous self, raising it from the dead.

I'd really like to know who declares the sun re-born either annually or monthly.  And besides, when was Jesus reborn?  His followers are reborn in the spiritual sense, but Jesus Himself had only one birth.  Even if we're going to accept Jesus' resurrection as a 'rebirth' (though it clearly wasn't), His resurrection happened only once, not annually or monthly.  And there are no mummies in the Jesus story.

16a.  The sun is 'crucified' between the two thieves of Sagittarius and Capricorn.

Let's see, Sagittarius is from November 23rd to December 21st, and Capricorn is from December 22nd to January 19th.  So, does the critic here think that Jesus was crucified in December?  Does he think the sun is crucified in December?  According to whom?  How so?  And how are Sagittarius (an archer) and Capricorn (a goat) thieves?

16b.  According to legend, Jesus was born in a stable between a horse and a goat, symbols of Sagittarius and Capricorn.

According to what legend?  There's no reference to a horse and a goat in any story I've heard.  And since when is a horse the symbol of Sagittarius?  The archer is the symbol of Sagittarius.

16c. Jesus was crucified at the winter solstice between the 'two thieves' of Sagittarius and Capricorn, who sapped his strength.

Jesus was crucified around the spring solstice, not the winter solstice.  And how did the two thieves sap his strength?  And, again, how are Sagittarius and Capricorn thieves?

(note: I made these three parallels 'a' 'b' and 'c' because they're similar, but never on the same list.)

17.  The sun is the Word or Logos of God.

Once again, according to whom?

18.  He was baptized in Aquarius, the Water-Bearer.

Aquarius is January 20th to February 18th.  Who says Jesus was baptized at this time?  Or is the critic claiming that since Jesus was baptized in water, this must correspond somehow to the constellation of Aquarius.  Every time I take a shower, does this correspond to the constellation of Aquarius?  Weak, weak, weak.

19.  Jesus became the Good Shepherd and the Lamb in Aries, the Ram

Huh?  How do a 'Good Shepherd' and a 'lamb' correspond to Aries, the Ram?  Are they saying it happened at that time of year?  So what?

20.  Jesus told the parables of the sowing and tilling of the fields in Taurus, the Bull.

Once again, what the heck are the critics talking about here?  Are they claiming that the parable was told during the April/May period identified with Taurus?  If so, so what?  My birthday's in this period, so does this make my life a myth?

21.  In Cancer, 'the celestial Sea of Galilee,' he calmed the storm and waters, spoke of backsliders (the Crab), and rode the Bottom and foal in triumph into the City of Peace, Jerusalem.

How is Cancer 'the celestial Sea of Galilee'?  No one's ever called it that.  So what is the critic's point here?  That the calming of the storms, and His riding into Jerusalem happened in the June/July period identified with Cancer?  Unlikely, but even if it was, so what?  And how is the backslider represented by the crab?

22. In Libra, Christ was the true vine in the Garden of Gethsemane, the 'wine press,' as this is the time of the grape harvest.

Once again, so?  What does Libra (the scales) have to do with any of those events?  Why is the 'wine press' in quotes?  Is wine supposed to be pressed between scales or something?

23.  In Sagittarius, Jesus was wounded in the side by the Centaur, or centurion.

How are Centaurs (half man/half horse creatures) supposed to correspond to centurions (which were fully man)?  Does the critic expect us to believe that, since those words sound alike (at least in English), centaurs and centurions are interchangable?  This one is an insult to any rational person's intelligence.  Also, Sagittarius (an archer, having nothing to do with centaurs or centurians) is in November and December, several months removed from Jesus' crucifixion.

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

Eternal Security : A Believer's Assurance Of Salvation - Ralph Yankee Arnold / Spotting The Difference Between The Holy Spirit And Evil Spirit / 13 Delta State Pilgrims Abscond In Israel

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 137
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.