Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,589 members, 7,809,131 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 12:36 AM

Nairaland Jamb Tutorial Centre {economics Thread} - Education (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Nairaland Jamb Tutorial Centre {economics Thread} (5316 Views)

2016 NAIRALAND JAMB TUTORIAL {the Physics Thread } / Nairaland Jamb Tutorial Centre {chemistry Thread} / Nairaland Jamb Tutorial Centre. {NJTC} (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nairaland Jamb Tutorial Centre {economics Thread} by Martiyu(m): 11:59pm On Mar 01, 2015
cee001:
**In the distribution channels for goods and services,the middleman’s mark-up margin provides a rough measure for theA.Quantity discount allowed final consumersB.Reward for business entrepreneurshipC.Effectiveness of government control overeconomy’s marketing channelsD.Extent of exploitation of the final consumer

** If an increase in income induces a reduction thedemand for beans, beans can be referred to asA. A normal goodB. An inferior goodC. A substituteD. A giffen good
,,,concerning this qst..pls can someone tell me d difference between a giffen good and an inferior good. I know inferior goods have a negative income elasticity,,but are they not also giffen goods help

First question, A.
Second question u were ryt on point. Now to explanation

When you refer to inferior goods, we talk relative to the income of the consumer yl when we talk about giffen goods, we talk with respect to the price of the commodity. They both have negative income effect but while the former is direct, the latter is indirect.

Changes in demand are relative to two effects, the income effect and substitution effect. Though this is beyond the scope of JAMB but it is not too early to learn.

For inferior goods, we assume that there are close substitutes for the goods and as such, the substitution effect dominates the income effect yl for giffen goods, because of the assumption that a giffen good has no close substitute, the income effect dominates the substitution effect which is assumed to be non existing... Hey! Don't get lost, stay with me...

Using these hypothetical examples.

Let's assume that given my current income level, I eat eba considering the fact that garri is cheap. But later I got an upgrade in my income level, I may decide to now consume semovita or any other thing more and reduce my consumption of garri.

That is the substitution effect dominating. Moving to giffen goods. Let's assume that given my current income level, when I buy garri to make eba, I do add meat to my soup. But now the price of garri has increased and I can't shift to semovita that I consider as luxury. I would do everything needed to ensure that I take myself back to the position I was before the price increase. How would I do that, I would gv up meat to consume more garri despite the fact that its price has increased. Mark you, meat is not a substitute for garri.

The assumption that there are no close substitutes would make the income effect to overwhelm the substitution effect.

If you do not understand, please tell me.. I would look for ways to simplify it.
Re: Nairaland Jamb Tutorial Centre {economics Thread} by Martiyu(m): 12:30am On Mar 02, 2015
cee001:
** A company is said to be highly geared if the A. Value of fixed interest loans is high compared with share capital B.Value of share capital is high compared with fixed interest loans C.Dividend rate is high D.Interest rate is high
My chief economists in the house,food is served. This will be all;for now..thanks in advance

A.
Gearing ratio is used to determine the financial strength of organisation. It measures the ratio of debts (numerator) to the shareholders equity or capital (denominator)

Interest on loan of course would be a debt to the company. If this is too high relative to the share capital, that spells doom. The ratio will be high and we say the company is highly geared and vice versa.

Goodnight
Re: Nairaland Jamb Tutorial Centre {economics Thread} by Martiyu(m): 12:36am On Mar 02, 2015
Mogten:

lol. This dude, have you thought about strutting your stuff as a stand-up commedian? E go fit you bros. Heheh... thank you so very much! Humble me.... i am glad the prof approves of my points.

Hahaha comewhat? I just pray the audience won't support the ministry with sachets of water and what have you.

Hmm and thereafter came the flattery. I am trying to get used to it but that just seem like a herculean task.
Re: Nairaland Jamb Tutorial Centre {economics Thread} by cee001(m): 7:44am On Mar 02, 2015
Martiyu:

A.
Gearing ratio is used to determine the financial strength of organisation. It measures the ratio of debts (numerator) to the shareholders equity or capital (denominator)

Interest on loan of course would be a debt to the company. If this is too high relative to the share capital, that spells doom. The ratio will be high and we say the company is highly geared and vice versa.

Goodnight
ok...I get...thanks
Re: Nairaland Jamb Tutorial Centre {economics Thread} by cee001(m): 8:37am On Mar 02, 2015
Martiyu:

First question, A.
Second question u were ryt on point. Now to explanation

When you refer to inferior goods, we talk relative to the income of the consumer yl when we talk about giffen goods, we talk with respect to the price of the commodity. They both have negative income effect but while the former is direct, the latter is indirect.

***I understand the above**

Changes in demand are relative to two effects, the income effect and substitution effect. Though this is beyond the scope of JAMB but it is not too early to learn.

For inferior goods, we assume that there are close substitutes for the goods and as such, the substitution effect dominates the income effect yl for giffen goods, because of the assumption that a giffen good has no close substitute, the income effect dominates the substitution effect which is assumed to be non existing... Hey! Don't get lost, stay with me..

**took me some time to digest this;so in essence,the abnormal relationship btw income and demand of an inferior good(since inferior goods are talked relative to income) is blamed on the substitution effect;but blamed on the income effect is the abnormal rel. btw price and a giffen good(since giffen goods are talked relative to price and no substitute is assumed)**

Using these empirical examples.

Let's assume that given my current income level, I eat eba considering the fact that garri is cheap. But later I got an upgrade in my income level, I may decide to now consume semovita or any other thing more and reduce my consumption of garri.

That is the substitution effect dominating. Moving to giffen goods. Let's assume that given my current income level, when I buy garri to make eba, I do add meat to my soup. But now the price of garri has increased and I can't shift to semovita that I consider as luxury. I would do everything needed to ensure that I take myself back to the position I was before the price increase. How would I do that, I would gv up meat to consume more garri despite the fact that its price has increased. Mark you, meat is not a substitute for garri.

**cool example^^***

The assumption that there are no close substitutes would make the income effect to overwhelm the substitution effect.

If you do not understand, please tell me.. I would look for ways to simplify it.

**I get u..thanks for clearing this up for me...now I know d difference btw d two**
Re: Nairaland Jamb Tutorial Centre {economics Thread} by MizyB(f): 10:19am On Mar 02, 2015
Mogten:

Operating costs are cost of goods or services that are used up in a production process. Goods such as fuel, fertilizer, wages etc... all form the operating costs. Operating costs vary because their prices depend on the behaviour of other factors. Put in other words, they are externally determined. Take for instance, the amount paid labourers as wages depends on the volume of output and its marketability. The higher the volume of output and its marketability, ceteris paribus, the higher will be the wages paid workers as remuneration and vice versa. Likewise the price of fuel depends upon its output, its market and the cost incurred in producing it. Seeing as market conditions often change, their prices fluctuate and are therefore not constant. Fixed costs on the contrary do not vary with the level of output or any external factor. Take for instance, I lent you N100,000 on a written agreement that you will pay me 10% interest on it per annum, regardless whether you make profit or losses, you ought to honor the agreement and pay me the said amount as at when due. Wages on the other hand, can be reduced to cut losses. I hope that was clear enough. Pardon my epistle.
thanks for the epistle sir
Re: Nairaland Jamb Tutorial Centre {economics Thread} by MizyB(f): 10:31am On Mar 02, 2015
cee001:
ok...I get...thanks
have you reprinted?
Re: Nairaland Jamb Tutorial Centre {economics Thread} by cee001(m): 11:18am On Mar 02, 2015
MizyB:

have you reprinted?
no.But about to..soonest...
Re: Nairaland Jamb Tutorial Centre {economics Thread} by MizyB(f): 11:20am On Mar 02, 2015
cee001:
no.But about to..soonest...
bro am waiting for u o. Hearing some rumour that it might not be 'Today' again!
Re: Nairaland Jamb Tutorial Centre {economics Thread} by cee001(m): 2:29pm On Mar 02, 2015
MizyB:

bro am waiting for u o. Hearing some rumour that it might not be 'Today' again!
I just did mine
Re: Nairaland Jamb Tutorial Centre {economics Thread} by MizyB(f): 2:37pm On Mar 02, 2015
cee001:
I just did mine
when is ur date?
Re: Nairaland Jamb Tutorial Centre {economics Thread} by cee001(m): 4:55pm On Mar 02, 2015
MizyB:

when is ur date?
13th
Re: Nairaland Jamb Tutorial Centre {economics Thread} by MizyB(f): 6:13pm On Mar 02, 2015
cee001:
13th
was it in the centre u registered ?
Re: Nairaland Jamb Tutorial Centre {economics Thread} by cee001(m): 8:35pm On Mar 02, 2015
MizyB:

was it in the centre u registered ?
yeah
Re: Nairaland Jamb Tutorial Centre {economics Thread} by MizyB(f): 4:34pm On Mar 05, 2015
My Egbons, help a sister;
if the marginary propensity to consume is 0.80 and the investment expenditure changes fdrom N100M to N140M in a given economy, find the level of equilibrium in the given economy, using the formular
K=1/1-MPC
(K=multiplier, MPC=Marginal prospensity to consume)

A. N20M B. 40M V. 80M D. 200M
Re: Nairaland Jamb Tutorial Centre {economics Thread} by Oloro29(m): 7:00pm On Mar 05, 2015
MizyB:
if the marginary propensity to consume is 0.80 and the investment expenditure changes fdrom N100M to N140M in a given economy, find the level of equilibrium in the given economy, using the formular
K=1/1-MPC

The answer is D. Using k times change in investment exp. 40m X 5 =200m
Re: Nairaland Jamb Tutorial Centre {economics Thread} by cee001(m): 8:41pm On Mar 05, 2015
more explanation on the concepts of the above question,anyone?
Re: Nairaland Jamb Tutorial Centre {economics Thread} by Temmi001: 9:13pm On Mar 05, 2015
MizyB:
K=1/1-MPC

Hmmm,multiplier effect sha......
Re: Nairaland Jamb Tutorial Centre {economics Thread} by Martiyu(m): 9:23pm On Mar 05, 2015
cee001:
more explanation on the concepts of the above question,anyone?

K=1/1-b.

b = MPC = 0.8

1/1-0.8 = 1/0.2 = 5

Change in investment is = new level of investment minus initial level of investment I.e. 140 - 100 = 40

The multiplier which measures the multiple by which national income will change from a change in any of the exogenous variables (C, I & G.. Assuming a closed economy to simplify the model) that determine equilibrium level of income will act on the change in investment

#40×5= 200
Re: Nairaland Jamb Tutorial Centre {economics Thread} by MizyB(f): 9:55am On Mar 06, 2015
Oloro29:

The answer is D. Using k times change in investment exp. 40m X 5 =200m
Thank u sir
Re: Nairaland Jamb Tutorial Centre {economics Thread} by MizyB(f): 9:59am On Mar 06, 2015
Temmi001:
Hmmm,multiplier effect sha......
Temi no be small thing. My exam na wednesday sha. Dey pray fr me o
Re: Nairaland Jamb Tutorial Centre {economics Thread} by Temmi001: 11:33am On Mar 06, 2015
MizyB:

Temi no be small thing. My exam na wednesday sha. Dey pray fr me o
ok MizyB...God Bless u...where'z ur center??
Re: Nairaland Jamb Tutorial Centre {economics Thread} by cee001(m): 1:00pm On Mar 06, 2015
Martiyu:

K=1/1-b.

b = MPC = 0.8

1/1-0.8 = 1/0.2 = 5

Change in investment is = new level of investment minus initial level of investment I.e. 140 - 100 = 40

The multiplier which measures the multiple by which national income will change from a change in any of the exogenous variables (C, I & G.. Assuming a closed economy to simplify the model) that determine equilibrium level of income will act on the change in investment

#40×5= 200

Thank u so so much..really.
Re: Nairaland Jamb Tutorial Centre {economics Thread} by Martiyu(m): 10:54am On Mar 09, 2015
As You all prepare to write the much awaited exam, I wish you good success. And u know what, m waiting to hear d good news, in this and the subsequent ones.

All the best.
Re: Nairaland Jamb Tutorial Centre {economics Thread} by cee001(m): 9:52am On Mar 17, 2015
Martiyu:
As You all prepare to write the much awaited exam, I wish you good success. And u know what, m waiting to hear d good news, not in this and the subsequent ones.

All the best.
A big thank you Sir Martiyu and other them chief economists wey dey here....I had 78% in Econs...and I return all d glory to God...that was my highest score...thanks again....for ur responsiveness n all

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

First Female Vice Chancellor In Nigeria: Prof. Grace Alele-williams Biography / I Have Never See A Thing Like This Before / School Proprietress Filmed While Molesting Pupils On Monday Morning (video)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 45
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.