Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,308 members, 7,780,729 topics. Date: Thursday, 28 March 2024 at 08:52 PM

Keshi Got Carried Away By AFCON Success - Taribo West - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Keshi Got Carried Away By AFCON Success - Taribo West (10449 Views)

Omeruo And Oboabona Are Amateurs - Taribo West / ‘I Was Better Than Maldini’ - Taribo West / Taribo To Osaze: Shut-up & Focus On Your Career (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Keshi Got Carried Away By AFCON Success - Taribo West by TheRealMrStan(m): 9:11am On Nov 29, 2014
Taribo West claims Nigeria coach Stephen Keshi let success go to his head after he sensationally guided the Super Eagles to a third Africa Cup of Nations triumph in South Africa last year – and paid the price for “feeling very relaxed”.

Keshi, who captained the Eagles to victory at the Tunisia ’94 Africa Cup of Nations, capped off a successful year (2013) by helping Nigeria seal their place at the 2014 World Cup in Brazil.

Following the South Africa 2013 success, the former Anderlecht defender became the second man in history to win the Africa Cup of Nations as a player and a coach after Mohamed El Gohary of Egypt.

And Taribo, who has expressed his disappointment with Nigeria’s failure to qualify for the 2015 Africa Cup of Nations in Equatorial Guinea, maintains Keshi would have sustained success by helping the Eagles book their ticket to the continental football showpiece if he hadn’t abandoned his coaching philosophy.

The Atlanta ’96 Olympic Games gold medallist fired a broadside at the players for the country’s 2-2 draw against South Africa in their Equatorial Guinea 2015 Group A qualifier in Uyo on November 19. The result ended Nigeria’s hopes of reaching Equatorial Guinea, as Congo picked up the group’s second ticket along with South Africa, who had sealed qualification for the competition after beating Sudan 2-1 in Durban on November 15.

“Keshi let success go to his head and the result is that we won’t be defending our title in Equatorial Guinea next year,” Taribo, who represented Nigeria at the USA ’94 and France ’98 World Cups, told our correspondent on the telephone during the week.

“When he started, he was hungry for success, hence he went for the home-based players who were equally hungry for success, and he was not bothered by the criticism over his decisions.

“The home-based players played a major role in our winning the Africa Cup of Nations last year.

“But Keshi felt very relaxed after winning the tournament. He changed and began to rely on (some) foreign-based players who are not good enough for the national team.

“Keshi should have continued with his policy. He should have invited more home-based players for the qualifiers.”

The ex-Eagles defender said, “The majority of the players are not ready to play football. Against South Africa, there was no tenacity and aggressiveness in our play. There was no bite upfront.

“(Azubuike) Egwekwe let us down. He should take the blame for the first goal. He opened the right side to expose the goalkeeper (Vincent Enyeama). I didn’t expect such a mistake from a player who has been in the national team for some time.

“(Kenneth) Omeruo committed a defensive blunder that could cost a player his career. He’s a good defender but he should have been rested for the game because he was not fit.

“Juwon (Oshaniwa) is a strong player but he gets confused each time he receives the ball.

“We need better defenders in the national team. I believe we can find good defenders in the domestic league if we search for them.”

Taribo said, “Mikel is a good player but we need to get the best out of him. He needs competition in his role and we must look for a player who can keep him on his toes.”
http://www.punchng.com/sports/keshi-got-carried-away-by-success-taribo/

8 Likes

Re: Keshi Got Carried Away By AFCON Success - Taribo West by justi4jesu(f): 9:12am On Nov 29, 2014
smileyIt shall be a great day today

Taribo who asked you
# undecided

4 Likes

Re: Keshi Got Carried Away By AFCON Success - Taribo West by yuzjet(m): 9:12am On Nov 29, 2014
True!
Re: Keshi Got Carried Away By AFCON Success - Taribo West by bunmioguns(m): 9:13am On Nov 29, 2014
True yarn
Re: Keshi Got Carried Away By AFCON Success - Taribo West by danaiks(m): 9:13am On Nov 29, 2014
Re: Keshi Got Carried Away By AFCON Success - Taribo West by accurate123: 9:13am On Nov 29, 2014
lipsrsealed
Re: Keshi Got Carried Away By AFCON Success - Taribo West by dreydee(m): 9:13am On Nov 29, 2014
JUST CAME TO BE ON FRONT PAGE \kiss/

True Talk from the pastor, that his trademark hair of those days ehn lipsrsealed

1 Like

Re: Keshi Got Carried Away By AFCON Success - Taribo West by Adyrin(m): 9:14am On Nov 29, 2014
Who is keshi?

Did you mean to write Shoki?

2 Likes

Re: Keshi Got Carried Away By AFCON Success - Taribo West by tochman(m): 9:14am On Nov 29, 2014
Abegi, that's not enough excuse. Is he a kid?
Re: Keshi Got Carried Away By AFCON Success - Taribo West by boolet: 9:14am On Nov 29, 2014
He assumed to much. Assumption - they say - is the mother of Bleep-ups.
Re: Keshi Got Carried Away By AFCON Success - Taribo West by godofwar666(m): 9:14am On Nov 29, 2014
As anyone noticed that the Op (TheRealMrStan) has been making front page I think is now the Mod undecided or what's going on NL angry
Re: Keshi Got Carried Away By AFCON Success - Taribo West by phollybee(m): 9:14am On Nov 29, 2014
That's simply the truth... Keshi's wings grew after the afcon success! And if I may ask him, Where are those countries seeking to sign a deal with him, coz I remember blabbering his mouth about Suitors from other countries? See as he became gentle man prior to his failure! Keshi, Nntoor!!!

6 Likes

Re: Keshi Got Carried Away By AFCON Success - Taribo West by mummyson26(m): 9:14am On Nov 29, 2014
Oga op taribo was not part of usa 94 worldcups team
Re: Keshi Got Carried Away By AFCON Success - Taribo West by UrbanMystique: 9:14am On Nov 29, 2014
Very true.

He is a good coach but lost it immediately he won afcon.

He feels he has achieved everything by winning afcon.
Re: Keshi Got Carried Away By AFCON Success - Taribo West by Adyrin(m): 9:15am On Nov 29, 2014
King of da space bookers!
I hail Ooº°
dreydee:
Re: Keshi Got Carried Away By AFCON Success - Taribo West by Movesz(m): 9:15am On Nov 29, 2014
Why as we stil talkin about keshi?
Re: Keshi Got Carried Away By AFCON Success - Taribo West by Kunleskey(m): 9:15am On Nov 29, 2014
The mistake is 4rm the onset..if they av prepared themself right 4rm the begining all dis will not be happening.let bye gone be bye gone..why stretching the unworkable issue again.
Re: Keshi Got Carried Away By AFCON Success - Taribo West by chusks(m): 9:15am On Nov 29, 2014
wetin taribo yan?
Re: Keshi Got Carried Away By AFCON Success - Taribo West by coolvitus(m): 9:16am On Nov 29, 2014
Na God
Re: Keshi Got Carried Away By AFCON Success - Taribo West by ToyozzieTohBad(f): 9:16am On Nov 29, 2014
idodo oro

Celebrities step out for Creative Industry event with GEJ
http:///nasCw
Re: Keshi Got Carried Away By AFCON Success - Taribo West by Nobody: 9:17am On Nov 29, 2014
We have so many excellent home based players who want to show what they've got
Re: Keshi Got Carried Away By AFCON Success - Taribo West by wiloy2k8(m): 9:17am On Nov 29, 2014
if i hear ,. 5th Fp today . hahahahahaahahahahahahahahahhahahaha
Re: Keshi Got Carried Away By AFCON Success - Taribo West by thegoodjoehunt3(m): 9:18am On Nov 29, 2014
“I don’t think Yobo has reached his peak. So, why has he been left out? I can’t compare the current players with him, at least we watch him play in Europe. He can still play at this level for up to six years."........Taribo West.

http://www.punchng.com/sports/yobo-deserves-100-caps-taribo-tells-keshi/

This is coming from Pastor Taribo West Who criticized Coach Keshi regularly for dropping Yobo. Pastor Taribo West should let people know that Coach Keshi was ordered by members of the NFF to reduce the number of home based players and this caused a drop in form and hunger of the team.
Re: Keshi Got Carried Away By AFCON Success - Taribo West by Taku555(m): 9:18am On Nov 29, 2014
He wil rethink
Re: Keshi Got Carried Away By AFCON Success - Taribo West by dreydee(m): 9:18am On Nov 29, 2014
Adyrin:
King of da space bookers!
I hail Ooº°

I greet you grin
Re: Keshi Got Carried Away By AFCON Success - Taribo West by Nobody: 9:19am On Nov 29, 2014
still a keshi fan here

1 Like

Re: Keshi Got Carried Away By AFCON Success - Taribo West by iceberylin(m): 9:19am On Nov 29, 2014
rasojie:
still a keshi fan here

Fan of failure undecided

2 Likes

Re: Keshi Got Carried Away By AFCON Success - Taribo West by dreydee(m): 9:19am On Nov 29, 2014
Since people no wan comment let me buy estate
Re: Keshi Got Carried Away By AFCON Success - Taribo West by Nobody: 9:19am On Nov 29, 2014
iceberylin:
cheesy
dreydee:

I greet you grin
thegoodjoehunt3:
Kunleskey:
accurate123:
lipsrsealed
godofwar666:
[/quote][quote author=danaiks post=28437921].

These are french citizens grin

5 Likes

Re: Keshi Got Carried Away By AFCON Success - Taribo West by Adyrin(m): 9:19am On Nov 29, 2014
So you've been pressing your fone for over 2hours now?
Choi......joblessness!
wiloy2k8:
if i hear ,. 5th Fp today . hahahahahaahahahahahahahahahhahahaha
Re: Keshi Got Carried Away By AFCON Success - Taribo West by dreydee(m): 9:20am On Nov 29, 2014
Okay
Re: Keshi Got Carried Away By AFCON Success - Taribo West by dreydee(m): 9:20am On Nov 29, 2014
I see, estate™

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

FABIO CAPELLO Accused Of Allowing Victor Moses To Slip Through England / Nigerian Special Athletes Win Big At The Special Olympics Games In Usa..photos / 2017 Women's Afrobasket Updates: Team Nigeria - D'Tigress

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 23
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.