Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,811 members, 7,802,611 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 05:18 PM

What Does Actuarial Science Entail? - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / What Does Actuarial Science Entail? (3032 Views)

Information About ACTUARIAL SCIENCE ?! / Insurance And Actuarial Science Graduates Lets Meet Here / What Fully Does A Post-graduate Diploma Entail? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Does Actuarial Science Entail? by Ehimenboy(m): 4:18pm On Nov 29, 2014
Good day, nairalanders. I heard of Actuarial Science at some point in time. I request whoever is informed on the degree to explain what they know about it. Where do they work? Google already told me what they do. Do you know one? I know in Nigeria, " type of degree does not matter" and I've made my internet searches including Google). I want your informed views.
Thanks in anticipation.
Re: What Does Actuarial Science Entail? by BankManager(m): 2:04pm On Nov 30, 2014
Insurance companies..
Re: What Does Actuarial Science Entail? by Ehimenboy(m): 6:01pm On Nov 30, 2014
BankManager:
Insurance companies..
Thanks for taking out some time to comment but, is that all...?
Re: What Does Actuarial Science Entail? by BankManager(m): 11:39am On Dec 02, 2014
Ehimenboy:

Thanks for taking out some time to comment but, is that all...?
Banks,Audit firms and other financial institutions;though their chances are limited..

However,if any one is given such a course,I would advice he/she to accept the course,take jamb again and work harder to secure the desired course of study he/she is passionate about...

In a country like Nigeria where Insurance companies are in a lampoon of decay,job opportunities and satisfaction are always limited for Acturial scientists !!!
Re: What Does Actuarial Science Entail? by Ehimenboy(m): 4:21pm On Dec 02, 2014
BankManager:

Banks,Audit firms and other financial institutions;though their chances are limited..
However,if any one is given such a course,I would advice he/she to accept the course,take jamb again and work harder to secure the desired course of study he/she is passionate about...

In a country like Nigeria where Insurance companies are in a lampoon of decay,job opportunities and satisfaction are always limited for Acturial scientists !!!
Thanks a million!

1 Like

Re: What Does Actuarial Science Entail? by Kx: 4:34pm On Dec 02, 2014
BankManager:

FYI, I am not an actuarist.

Having stated that, if you know for sure, as much as I have practically seen with my own eyes lately how actuarists are in red hot demand even in the "much lampooned insurance industry" as u chose to put it, you wont say it d way u did.

@ OP, for most of the big insurance coys in Nigeria and even the big 3 audit firms, they all bring in actuarists from SA and Europe when their jobs is actuary related.
In two particular insurance coys in know personally in Lagos, actuarists terms and conditions are a ,little as sweet as those that work offshore in oil rigs.
The info I gave above is what I have experienced first hand even within the last 3 months.

That apart, your future especially in Naija is not tied to your cos of study.
Last time I checked, even the nos 1 citizen did not read pub admin or the likes but Zoology.
Key :Donot "commonise" any cos of study. Rather, follow your heart passionately.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: What Does Actuarial Science Entail? by Ehimenboy(m): 8:13pm On Dec 02, 2014
Kx:
OP, for most of the big insurance coys in Nigeria and even the big 3 audit firms, they all bring in actuarists from SA and Europe when their jobs is actuary related.
In two particular insurance coys in know personally in Lagos, actuarists terms and conditions are a ,little as sweet as those that work offshore in oil rigs.
The info I gave above is what I have experienced first hand even within the last 3 months.
Last time I checked, even the nos 1 citizen did not read pub admin or the likes but Zoology.
Key :Donot "commonise" any cos of study. Rather, follow your heart passionately.
I'm grateful, thanks.
Re: What Does Actuarial Science Entail? by Rexphobia(m): 2:07pm On Dec 27, 2014
I dare say studying actuarial science in Nigeria may not be a very smart one. Most actuary professionals I know, studied abroad and became qualified abroad.

Most of our actuarial experts are from SA . if you are in for the long run, you can get the degree then go abroad to get experience and the professional qualification. Y
Re: What Does Actuarial Science Entail? by asalimpo(m): 4:43pm On Dec 27, 2014
Kx:

FYI, I am not an actuarist.

Having stated that, if you know for sure, as much as I have practically seen with my own eyes lately how actuarists are in red hot demand even in the "much lampooned insurance industry" as u chose to put it, you wont say it d way u did.

@ OP, for most of the big insurance coys in Nigeria and even the big 3 audit firms, they all bring in actuarists from SA and Europe when their jobs is actuary related.

the first citizen defected to politics and learnt to LIE to get ahead..
He was a proff and used tht as a trump card.
Re: What Does Actuarial Science Entail? by Yababoy(m): 10:52am On Feb 12, 2015
BankManager:

Rubbish!!!

1 Like

Re: What Does Actuarial Science Entail? by Nobody: 9:30pm On Oct 17, 2015
Yababoy:

Rubbish!!!
please what do you advice, i just got admitted to study actuarial science, should i reject it? If no, what are my chances of getting a job on the scale of 1 to 10

(1) (Reply)

Nigerian Police Recruitment Form Is Out. APPLY HERE / Information Needed On Risk Management Certification / Places That Pay Police Officers The Highest And Lowest Salaries Around The World

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 24
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.