Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,644 members, 7,801,873 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 03:02 AM

So ... No Software Architect in this room/9ja? - Programming - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / So ... No Software Architect in this room/9ja? (1653 Views)

What Career Path Is There For A Software Architect In Naija / Where Can A Software Architect Find His Ladder / Programmer, System Architect, Computer Analyst (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

So ... No Software Architect in this room/9ja? by asalimpo(m): 5:44pm On Nov 29, 2014
.. Or is only "i want to learn programming" fellows (novices) and a few (web) programmers?
Re: So ... No Software Architect in this room/9ja? by Nobody: 6:39pm On Nov 29, 2014
asalimpo:
.. Or is only "i want to learn programming" fellows (novices) and a few (web) programmers?
really? You're a software architect? Wao! I'm a software engineer currently working on getting certification...so glad u'r in tha house. Whats your specialization? I'm based on OOP design and maintanance.

1 Like

Re: So ... No Software Architect in this room/9ja? by nollyj: 6:50pm On Nov 29, 2014
I am not a software architect. Most people that have chosen this path have years of experience working with Enterprise Applications so the programming section offers nothing related to software architecture problems or discussions. May be most software architects in Nairaland are busy with work or in other sections of Nairaland catching fun.
Re: So ... No Software Architect in this room/9ja? by asalimpo(m): 8:17pm On Nov 29, 2014
mobolaji88:

really? You're a software architect? Wao! I'm a software engineer currently working on getting certification...so glad u'r in tha house. Whats your specialization? I'm based on OOP design and maintanance.
no, i'm Just a Dev/programmer.
I asked because of earlier threads on the same topic i made.

The only software architecture cert of some repute is vendor-specifc (oracle).

What is ur poison,language wise?

Wat certifcations ar u into?

Share ur insights.
Re: So ... No Software Architect in this room/9ja? by asalimpo(m): 8:20pm On Nov 29, 2014
nollyj:
I am not a software architect. Most people that have chosen this path have years of experience working with Enterprise Applications so the programming section offers nothing related to software architecture problems or discussions. May be most software architects in Nairaland are busy with work or in other sections of Nairaland catching fun.

shouldnt architects also hav programming skillz?
I know some dont but those shud b d weaker ones.
Re: So ... No Software Architect in this room/9ja? by nollyj: 10:16pm On Nov 29, 2014
asalimpo:

I guess even if a software architect does not have a good programming skill he or she will have a strong background in information system. There is no direct course or education that leads to this career path rather I consider experience working with large systems more.

The use of this word "software architect" can also be confusing sometimes i.e

I have seen people that works in small web dev companies that use CMS and Framework for small to medium app and they call themselves software architect.

In my own understanding I will prefer to call that dude that design distributed/parallel or large scale application a software architect.

If this career path is your dream career path I will suggest that you should start looking for a job in a kind of company that help you grow and achieve this.

1 Like

Re: So ... No Software Architect in this room/9ja? by Nobody: 11:39pm On Nov 29, 2014
asalimpo:

no, i'm Just a Dev/programmer.
I asked because of earlier threads on the same topic i made.

The only software architecture cert of some repute is vendor-specifc (oracle).

What is ur poison,language wise?

Wat certifcations ar u into?

Share ur insights.
becoming a CSDP is quite more difficult than you think it is. Its only issued by IEEE and a over 120 sofware principles question exam must be passed not to mention you really have to get a b.sc comp sci... Anyway, i'm still focusing on gaining more knowledge in generic enterprise software production, who knows, i myt just get lucky one day!
Well, i work on c++, java, php(js, sql e.t.c), python to mention a few..but i'm based mainly on c++, java, php. And like i said, i love designing OOP architectures and their maintainability.. What bout you? I'm sure u've got a hell of a scary portfolio..
Re: So ... No Software Architect in this room/9ja? by Nobody: 11:46pm On Nov 29, 2014
asalimpo:

and yea, to butress @nollyj 's point..what exactly do you mean by software architect? Its either you're an engineer or a scientist.. The term software architect can be used for anybody with creativity and has learnt design planning thru experience and usually unconventional in ideas..its not a professional term.
Re: So ... No Software Architect in this room/9ja? by asalimpo(m): 10:31am On Nov 30, 2014
mobolaji88:

becoming a CSDP is quite more difficult than you think it is. Its only issued by IEEE and a over 120 sofware principles question exam must be passed not to mention you really have to get a b.sc comp sci... Anyway, i'm still focusing on gaining more knowledge in generic enterprise software production, who knows, i myt just get lucky one day!
Well, i work on c++, java, php(js, sql e.t.c), python to mention a few..but i'm based mainly on c++, java, php. And like i said, i love designing OOP architectures and their maintainability.. What bout you? I'm sure u've got a hell of a scary portfolio..
csdp? Wats dat.
My poison : some oop langs,
(java (main), php,javascript,c,c++ : varyng degrees )
some functional langs.
(clojure,haskell,erlang,lisp)
Still green here but fp is d future.
Fp messes with your oop way of thinking, i doubt it will really take root in nigeria's entrenched oop culture.

My portfolio: well, i've got some stuff under my belt.
Not a novice. Not a pro.

Actually, software architects are real distinct professionals in developed countries.
They design software from scratch using a modelling language e.g uml, produce all the diagrams, that developers will transform into code.
The produce different diagrams transform requiremnt into pictures and blue print.
That's all i know about them, though i know some ex-devs do architecture. But with large scale software this is a dedicated role.

In many ways software architects are regarded more highly than developers.
Their pay reflects this.

Most programmers just code ad hoc, hacking as they go refining iteratively until d program works.
In larger firms its d other way round. Just like building construction, all blue prints complete, before actual buildng commences.

Just wondering if we've got this types here. Real ones not figure heads.
Re: So ... No Software Architect in this room/9ja? by asalimpo(m): 10:32am On Nov 30, 2014
mobolaji88:

Re: So ... No Software Architect in this room/9ja? by asalimpo(m): 10:42am On Nov 30, 2014
nollyj:

I guess even if a software architect does not have a good programming skill he or she will have a strong background in information system. There is no direct course or education that leads to this career path rather I consider experience working with large systems more.

The use of this word "software architect" can also be confusing sometimes i.e

I have seen people that works in small web dev companies that use CMS and Framework for small to medium app and they call themselves software architect.

In my own understanding I will prefer to call that dude that design distributed/parallel or large scale application a software architect.

If this career path is your dream career path I will suggest that you should start looking for a job in a kind of company that help you grow and achieve this.
it looks more prestigious and dignified than software developer.
Bear with d vanity,but its an incentive.
Besides, it has a more big-picture perspective to it. Which is good.

Wanted to hear from pros over here on it. But it seems such roles dont exist here. More like developer designer (one man role)
mayb because it seems we dont have large software created here or established medium/large software companies here.

Software Architect is a dedicated role on its own.
With expertise required in design patterns, enterprise architecture,
modelling languages, etc.
Re: So ... No Software Architect in this room/9ja? by nollyj: 12:40pm On Nov 30, 2014
Believe me, when I did my 3 months internship in a large software company in Sweden, some software architects I met were in different world. Their experience, knowledge base and problem solving prowess are up there.

From our discussions, some of them have designed different well known enterprise applications popular in the world now and they have had engagements as consultants in other companies.

I know in Nigeria it might be different because most enterprise applications here were developed outside Nigeria so there is limited space or opportunity for people who want to build a career in SA in Nigeria
Re: So ... No Software Architect in this room/9ja? by asalimpo(m): 4:58pm On Nov 30, 2014
@nolly
thought there could b a difference and that there was some real software industry takng root in d country.
Seems all Nigeria is good @ is merchandising:buyg and selling , not production.
Re: So ... No Software Architect in this room/9ja? by nollyj: 7:29pm On Nov 30, 2014
asalimpo:
@nolly
thought there could b a difference and that there was some real software industry takng root in d country.
Seems all Nigeria is good @ is merchandising:buyg and selling , not production.

This is basically what is happening in Nigeria now. Nigerian population is around 200 million but you can count the number of large scale software that has been produce in Nigeria.

It is a job for the future in Nigeria. One thing is that it is better to prepare now and wait for the future rather than waiting until it happens
Re: So ... No Software Architect in this room/9ja? by Nobody: 12:27am On Dec 01, 2014
asalimpo:

csdp? Wats dat.
My poison : some oop langs,
(java (main), php,javascript,c,c++ : varyng degrees )
some functional langs.
(clojure,haskell,erlang,lisp)
Still green here but fp is d future.
Fp messes with your oop way of thinking, i doubt it will really take root in nigeria's entrenched oop culture.

My portfolio: well, i've got some stuff under my belt.
Not a novice. Not a pro.

Actually, software architects are real distinct professionals in developed countries.
They design software from scratch using a modelling language e.g uml, produce all the diagrams, that developers will transform into code.
The produce different diagrams transform requiremnt into pictures and blue print.
That's all i know about them, though i know some ex-devs do architecture. But with large scale software this is a dedicated role.

In many ways software architects are regarded more highly than developers.
Their pay reflects this.

Most programmers just code ad hoc, hacking as they go refining iteratively until d program works.
In larger firms its d other way round. Just like building construction, all blue prints complete, before actual buildng commences.

Just wondering if we've got this types here. Real ones not figure heads.
lol @bolded, the problem is most Nigerian programmers dont really work for creativity and hence causing them to just find the shortest route to achieve a working software. Then you have a crappy, and less quality software.
CSDP means certified software development professional.
I dont totally agree with you on fp, fp isnt a futuristic method of code design, you do know the reason why java remains relevant till today does not solely lie on its platform independence, its the OOP infrastructure. So also languages like php, c++ and c#.
Actually, you may be suprised if i tell you that only about 15% of freelance web programmers have adopted full OOP techniques in their codes, u can make an experimental survey to check this. The oop only runs in about 40% of the software family in nigeria obviously because d new 2nd generation langs come in the OOP flavour ready made. So i think Nigerians are going the fp way.
And i still think you need be more precise in your title, from your definition almost any experienced programmer can be referred to as a software architect.
Re: So ... No Software Architect in this room/9ja? by Nobody: 12:43am On Dec 01, 2014
nollyj:

This is basically what is happening in Nigeria now. Nigerian population is around 200 million but you can count the number of large scale software that has been produce in Nigeria.

It is a job for the future in Nigeria. One thing is that it is better to prepare now and wait for the future rather than waiting until it happens
i agree with you on that one @bolded. I think the real problem here may not lie in the individual programmers like most people think. Take a look at the USA, NSA alone recruits nothing less than 200 IT personnels per year, not to talk of NASA, NASA recruits well over 520 per year. An african adage says that its the leading horse that sets the standard pace for all the other horses. When you have a government that installs intelligent water networks, transportation systems, surveillance and many more..where pure IT knowledge is required, you will definitely have a growing IT industry cos people will compete with government, work for or against them and also want to be mimic them..thereby unconciously training, recruiting and prioritising the IT industry.. Its not an inspisational job, Its a natural trend.
Re: So ... No Software Architect in this room/9ja? by HCpaul(m): 11:33am On Feb 10, 2015
There may be.

(1) (Reply)

What's Your Best Text Editor For Web Development? / Andela Homestudy Assessment Help / Dde Server In Vb.net

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 46
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.