Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,171 members, 7,807,547 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 03:09 PM

Nairaland Economics Academy - Education (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Nairaland Economics Academy (8437 Views)

Nigerian Defence Academy 68RC Is Finally Out / Nairaland Economics Erudites / Nigerian Defence Academy (nda) Form Is Out ! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nairaland Economics Academy by Harry4cas(m): 9:31pm On Aug 21, 2016
Nice thread.... I'm definitely following...... I'm studying Statistics and we've done Econometrics and Economic Statistics (EcoSta). it was quite interesting!!! I wonder why you guys stopped posting here. I love me some more ecosta.... so I've been tryna brainstorm ; relatively on the topics that' abound in the area of economic statistics with concentration on a little bit of macro economics with respect to the current trend on the significantly less wonderful economy of ours; for my project topic so I'll be needing y'all kind suggestions. like topics on (recession, inflation, GDP ..... ) gracias!!!

@Appliedmaths @Efficiencie and co
Re: Nairaland Economics Academy by stephano100(m): 9:34pm On Aug 21, 2016
efficiencie:

I read ehn, i read the detriment of my grades. i read beyond the limits of the course outline and even now there is still a lot for me to learn...and even as at now i know i'm not yet ready for a standard PhD program. My degree of mathematical sophistication is poor and my econometrics is rusty and basic.

After schooling in two Federal Universities, i am sorely disappointed in the academia in this country!
Seriously, but from your posts on here you come across as one scholar o & you've MSc.
Re: Nairaland Economics Academy by stephano100(m): 9:49pm On Aug 21, 2016
Appliedmaths:

I could remember I started using Eviews and SPSS in my 300L, of course we werent taught I went further to develope myself. It was during my project my surpervisor taught myself and some friends. Point is, the educational system nation wide is porous, no standards. Takes a smart student to go extra mile and develop him/her self. If u rely on the system, you're gone.
Eviews & spss, I learnt to do just basic stuffs(OLS) & still plan to get more in-depth tutorial on them.
Re: Nairaland Economics Academy by Appliedmaths(m): 7:08am On Aug 22, 2016
stephano100:

Eviews & spss, I learnt to do just basic stuffs(OLS) & still plan to get more in-depth tutorial on them.
Its best u develop yourself, na u go need am pass.
Re: Nairaland Economics Academy by Appliedmaths(m): 7:09am On Aug 22, 2016
Harry4cas:
Nice thread.... I'm definitely following...... I'm studying Statistics and we've done Econometrics and Economic Statistics (EcoSta). it was quite interesting!!! I wonder why you guys stopped posting here. I love me some more ecosta.... so I've been tryna brainstorm ; relatively on the topics that' abound in the area of economic statistics with concentration on a little bit of macro economics with respect to the current trend on the significantly less wonderful economy of ours; for my project topic so I'll be needing y'all kind suggestions. like topics on (recession, inflation, GDP ..... ) gracias!!!

@Appliedmaths @Efficiencie and co

When you're ready...
Re: Nairaland Economics Academy by Appliedmaths(m): 7:12am On Aug 22, 2016
stephano100:

Seriously, but from your posts on here you come across as one scholar o & you've MSc.

No mind efficience, oga dey wait for miracle from those Lecturers. As an economist your statistical skills should be top notch same with writing and analysis. If they fail to develop you I class please develop yourself, wake me up from sleep I'll anlyze any given data and pen a detailed report, thats our job.
Re: Nairaland Economics Academy by Harry4cas(m): 10:23am On Aug 22, 2016
Appliedmaths:

When you're ready...
I'm ready
Re: Nairaland Economics Academy by horlawharley(m): 11:29am On Aug 22, 2016
efficiencie:

I read ehn, i read the detriment of my grades. i read beyond the limits of the course outline and even now there is still a lot for me to learn...and even as at now i know i'm not yet ready for a standard PhD program. My degree of mathematical sophistication is poor and my econometrics is rusty and basic.

After schooling in two Federal Universities, i am sorely disappointed in the academia in this country!

Hmmmmmmmm...........................POOR?
Re: Nairaland Economics Academy by stephano100(m): 11:35am On Aug 22, 2016
Appliedmaths:

Its best u develop yourself, na u go need am pass.
That's true, where do you get tutorial materials from?
Re: Nairaland Economics Academy by Appliedmaths(m): 11:53am On Aug 22, 2016
stephano100:

That's true, where do you get tutorial materials from?

Everything is done online...
Re: Nairaland Economics Academy by stephano100(m): 12:57pm On Aug 22, 2016
Appliedmaths:

Everything is done online...
Please be specific, are there particular sites I can get them from?
Re: Nairaland Economics Academy by efficiencie(m): 11:40pm On Aug 26, 2016
Yes you can develop yourself but at what pace...you may claim to be an analyst but i can guess with staggering accuracy your limits in research and analysis and i will not be surprised if that limit is one that is easily surpassed in schools where instruction is done properly...I believe in self development, but i also believe that getting knowledge is like climbing a ladder and you cannot move from the first rung of the ladder to the last rung in one leap!

My pain is that if this madness in our universities continue, what will be the state of things in about 20 years from now? The era of sound lecturers is fast fading and the ones present now are mediocres with PhDs! It is well anyways!! When i get there i will contribute my quota and be a beacon by the mercies of Christ Jesus.

Harry4cas you are welcome...I am currently doing my thesis and have been busy...

1 Like

Re: Nairaland Economics Academy by efficiencie(m): 11:49pm On Aug 26, 2016
If you want to develop your Econometrics, first you need a good foundation and Damodar Gujarati 'Basic Econometrics' will give you that foundation but the problem with most people from my observation is that they are not patient to read that book thoroughly. Just give yourself 3 months and be dedicated to the plan, read two chapters in a week and do not just read get a PC with Eviews and practice...By so doing you gain mastery from repeated analysis!

Secondly, engage in a lot of research. Continuous research has the effect of keeping what you have learned fresh in your memory while you also expand your expertise and coverage of different branches of Economics...and if you have difficulties, you can make consultations and that is one of the reasons for this forum!

So if you are interested, i could send you Damodar Gujarati 'Basic Econometrics' (ebook) and I could also send you the data set in the book in a .txt file format to your email address. As for those that need eviews 7, i could send it to you via datafilehost. So if you are interested speak up!
Re: Nairaland Economics Academy by Gafano(m): 12:24am On Aug 28, 2016
been looking for a platform like this...thank God I found one...schooling in uniben,200l ecostat heading to 300l..after reading through dis thread, I feel challenged and was elated coz av got a place to seek knowledge whenever the need arise.....big thankz goes to EFFICIENCie for initiating dis...
Re: Nairaland Economics Academy by Appliedmaths(m): 12:36am On Aug 28, 2016
Following... Econometrics is the pride of any economist, and truth is how good yoy are depends on how much practice you put in.
Re: Nairaland Economics Academy by Gafano(m): 6:25am On Aug 28, 2016
Appliedmaths:
Following... Econometrics is the pride of any economist, and truth is how good yoy are depends on how much practice you put in.

pls sir, wat are the basic topics I could lay hands on in other to have a strong foundation on Econometrics...
Re: Nairaland Economics Academy by Appliedmaths(m): 6:50am On Aug 28, 2016
Gafano:

pls sir, wat are the basic topics I could lay hands on in other to have a strong foundation on Econometrics...

Start with the basics, intro to econometrics well I can't pinpoint a particular text book to you, but start with what u are given in school before u expand. Undertanding the basics is everything, trash every topic in the text cuz research and analysis is a very tricky ball Game u dnt want to be caught using d wrong methodologies that's totally unprofessional. U know the school system is porous, so balance your studies.

1 Like

Re: Nairaland Economics Academy by fawaz050(m): 1:34pm On Aug 28, 2016
@efficiencie sir,could U pls email it to fawazsulaimon6@gmail.com
Re: Nairaland Economics Academy by efficiencie(m): 6:07am On Aug 29, 2016
fawaz050:
@efficiencie sir,could U pls email it to fawazsulaimon6@gmail.com

I just sent you Damodar Gujarati and Chris Brooks...You should find these books valuable for a start in econometrics...
Re: Nairaland Economics Academy by Gafano(m): 6:53am On Aug 29, 2016
efficiencie:

I just sent you Damodar Gujarati and Chris Brooks...You should find these books valuable for a start in econometrics...
good morning, pls can u send to me also...Tundegafano@ymail.com
Re: Nairaland Economics Academy by fawaz050(m): 11:43am On Aug 29, 2016
efficiencie:

Thank U sir
Re: Nairaland Economics Academy by efficiencie(m): 3:14pm On Aug 29, 2016
Gafano:
good morning, pls can u send to me also...Tundegafano@ymail.com

I just sent them to you sir...I hope you enjoy them!
Re: Nairaland Economics Academy by topstar80(m): 10:59pm On Aug 29, 2016
I think koutsoyannis is also a great author on econometrics although she didn't use eviews
Re: Nairaland Economics Academy by Nobody: 12:52am On Aug 30, 2016
efficiencie:

I just sent them to you sir...I hope you enjoy them!
Boss kindly help me as well Suleimanrays@gmail.com. Am a final year student from Usmanu Danfodio University Sokoto. Could you help on how I can source data for my chapter four. Variables needed for the analysis include market capitalization, exchange rate, GDP, Inflation rate, FDI, and Interest rate. Thanks Boss
Re: Nairaland Economics Academy by efficiencie(m): 1:16am On Aug 30, 2016
Rays123:
Boss kindly help me as well Suleimanrays@gmail.com. Am a final year student from Usmanu Danfodio University Sokoto. Could you help on how I can source data for my chapter four. Variables needed for the analysis include market capitalization, exchange rate, GDP, Inflation rate, FDI, and Interest rate. Thanks Boss

You can get data on market capitalization from the CBN excel database while all other variables are available at the world development indicators database also in excel format. I will send you the World Development Indicators database (2016) for Nigeria alone and this is due to the fact that the whole WDI database is over 70mb and that quite difficult to send with my slow connection but i trust you can make do with the Nigerian section of it which i have culled out for you. Nevertheless if you are interested in downloading the entire database then follow the link below:

http://data.worldbank.org/data-catalog/world-development-indicators

You will find the link to download the WDI database in excel on the right of the page as seen below:

I hope you find this useful even after your current research!

1 Like

Re: Nairaland Economics Academy by Appliedmaths(m): 3:54am On Aug 30, 2016
efficiencie:

You can get data on market capitalization from the CBN excel database while all other variables are available at the world development indicators database also in excel format. I will send you the World Development Indicators database (2016) for Nigeria alone and this is due to the fact that the whole WDI database is over 70mb and that quite difficult to send with my slow connection but i trust you can make do with the Nigerian section of it which i have culled out for you. Nevertheless if you are interested in downloading the entire database then follow the link below:

http://data.worldbank.org/data-catalog/world-development-indicators

You will find the link to download the WDI database in excel on the right of the page as seen below:

I hope you find this useful even after your current research!

Kudos! But left for me good research skills begins from being able to source for info. Independently, my 2 cents though. Everything is done online thesedsys, they should know that by now. Again, kudods! Following closely.
Re: Nairaland Economics Academy by Harry4cas(m): 3:57am On Aug 30, 2016
Please I need suggestion on where to get data of inflation rate, GDP, unemployment rate in Nigeria. must I travel to national bureaunof statistics head office here in ikoyi ?
Re: Nairaland Economics Academy by topstar80(m): 7:19am On Aug 30, 2016
Harry4cas:
Please I need suggestion on where to get data of inflation rate, GDP, unemployment rate in Nigeria. must I travel to national bureaunof statistics head office here in ikoyi ?
go to their website now

1 Like

Re: Nairaland Economics Academy by Appliedmaths(m): 7:20am On Aug 30, 2016
Harry4cas:

Have you tried CBN data bank? But uf you're close to ikoyi then no p, but I'll suggest u try CBN dara bank via their website I'm sure you'll get it.

1 Like

Re: Nairaland Economics Academy by topstar80(m): 7:28am On Aug 30, 2016
Harry4cas:
Nigerianstat.gov.ng

1 Like

Re: Nairaland Economics Academy by efficiencie(m): 11:15am On Aug 30, 2016
Harry4cas:

Data on inflation rate and GDP are all in the WDI database...check my previous comment with an attached picture, follow the link in that comment and download the WDI for yourself. As for the employment rate, i compute it using the data on GDP per employed persons (GDP/person), the GDP and the total population (POP) using the excel formula:
=(GDP / (GDP/Person))/POP
These data can be found on the WDI database. So download the data and spare yourself the wahala of NBS!

1 Like

Re: Nairaland Economics Academy by Harry4cas(m): 12:44pm On Aug 30, 2016
Thanks guys... the link was helpful too. will check CBN site tonight as well.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Kwara Poly Management Orders Students To Vacate Hostels Indefinitely / Buk 2017/2018 Pg Application Form Is Out / Nairalander(chiogo) Becomes The First Nigerian Valedictorian In Boston, Usa

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 49
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.