Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,406 members, 7,800,834 topics. Date: Thursday, 18 April 2024 at 07:41 AM

My Flash/short Stories Collection - Literature (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / My Flash/short Stories Collection (16346 Views)

Flash Short Story: Death At The Border. / E. Fantasy(short Stories) / My Short Stories (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: My Flash/short Stories Collection by teamplayey: 5:56pm On Feb 28, 2015
Enoquin:

Disappointing? No, I'd say different.
Similarities? Well, my stories rarely have happy endings. So, if you point out the similarities you are refering to, I'd be able to reply and clarify.

Ok. As you pointed out 'your tales rarely have happy endings'.
Implying they do have sad endings. Sad endings are kind of dissapointing -so to speak (for lack of a better description); using Mfon for example, tales of two women, now this.
I'm not saying they should be predictable but whatever happened to Nature's Law of compensation?
This last story brought pain to my spirit, I hoped for a continuation. But it's all good.
May our good Lord continue using you to show us readers that His grace remains forever sufficient!
Re: My Flash/short Stories Collection by Enoquin(f): 6:29pm On Feb 28, 2015
Well,
Mfon's ending - That had to be realistic enough. You need to know about most prayer houses to understand why it had to end that way

Two women? - she didn't leave her husband na...who knows if her marriage will take a turning point from the hug tongue

This one? - It pained me too but one day I visited the TTC thread for women 2 years ago and that is what inspired the ending. The characters dictate the story most times.

Remember, we all cannot write the same way.

Thank you for the feedback and Amen

teamplayey:

Ok. As you pointed out 'your tales rarely have happy endings'.
Implying they do have sad endings. Sad endings are kind of dissapointing -so to speak (for lack of a better description); using Mfon for example, tales of two women, now this.
I'm not saying they should be predictable but whatever happened to Nature's Law of compensation?
This last story brought pain to my spirit, I hoped for a continuation. But it's all good.
May our good Lord continue using you to show us readers that His grace remains forever sufficient!
Re: My Flash/short Stories Collection by spacefreak: 6:55pm On Feb 28, 2015
Enoquin:

My writings are basically based on research which includes reading, observing others, listening etc

Cool. I really do like the way you write. You don't believe all stories should have a happy ending. There is always something to learn in every tragic ending. I think I understand why you mostly write short stories too. I think I'm typing alot now, I should put my keyboard away. smiley
Re: My Flash/short Stories Collection by spacefreak: 6:57pm On Feb 28, 2015
I just typed a lot of my thoughts. shocked
Re: My Flash/short Stories Collection by teamplayey: 8:03pm On Feb 28, 2015
Please what does TTC mean?
Re: My Flash/short Stories Collection by Enoquin(f): 10:11pm On Feb 28, 2015
spacefreak:

Cool. I really do like the way you write. You don't believe all stories should have a happy ending. There is always something to learn in every tragic ending. I think I understand why you mostly write short stories too. I think I'm typing alot now, I should put my keyboard away. smiley

Well, I am a realist. Much as there are happy endings in life, there are sad endings as well. Good things do not only happen to good people neither do bad things happen to only bad people. Most people give a happy ending to their stories but only few end their stories tragically.
Do all my stories end tragically? No, I mostly allow the characters dictate the course of the story.

Now, I am curious to know why you think I only write shorts...

Thanks smiley
Re: My Flash/short Stories Collection by Enoquin(f): 10:24pm On Feb 28, 2015
teamplayey:
Please what does TTC mean?

Trying To Conceive
Re: My Flash/short Stories Collection by spacefreak: 10:37pm On Feb 28, 2015
Enoquin:

Well, I am a realist. Much as there are happy endings in life, there are sad endings as well. Good things do not only happen to good people neither do bad things happen to only bad people. Most people give a happy ending to their stories but only few end their stories tragically.
Do all my stories end tragically? No, I mostly allow the characters dictate the course of the story.

Thanks smiley

Okay. I have theories which does not in any way stand as facts.

First theory. You are a realist and a very good writer. You could make your stories longer but that would only set up your readers for disappointment. When a story is gripping and the main character is likeable readers tend to generally expect happy endings. Writing it short keeps their expectations reasonable and not over blown.

Second theory. You have less time to work a short story into a long one and you are eager to get your point across to your readers.

Third theory. This is the most ridiculous but often true. You are mostly a lazy writer. tongue

Like I said it's just theories. Don't take me too seriously smiley
Re: My Flash/short Stories Collection by Enoquin(f): 11:26pm On Feb 28, 2015
spacefreak:

Okay. I have theories which does not in any way stand as facts.

First theory. You are a realist and a very good writer. You could make your stories longer but that would only set up your readers for disappointment. When a story is gripping and the main character is likeable readers tend to generally expect happy endings. Writing it short keeps their expectations reasonable and not over blown.

Second theory. You have less time to work a short story into a long one and you are eager to get your point across to your readers.

Third theory. This is the most ridiculous but often true. You are mostly a lazy writer. tongue

Like I said it's just theories. Don't take me too seriously smiley

You are looking at it from wrong angles.

There are long stories that end tragically. The concubine by Elechi Amadi, one of the most gripping Nigerian novels I read in my teens ended tragically. Never will I forget Ihuoma or Ekwueme and Emenike.

Things fall apart? The television series might have held me spell bound but the book did more than that and that was tragic too.

Books that have ended not in the way one expected?
The beautiful ones are not yet born by Ayi Kwei Armah
Weep not child by Ngugi Wa'thiongo
Lion and the Jewel by Wole Soyinka
The Sicilian by Mario Puzo etc
That's blowing your first theory off.

These stories aren't new. So, I didn't just sit and work on them now; they were already written and in my completed stories folder. They have even been posted on other forums. True, I have less time but brother I tell you, once a scene needs to be fleshed out to a story, it can be done. Not all stories need to be fleshed out and that's a truth.

Well, I have my lazy days as a writer. I write scribbles that I might not go back to or stumble on and flesh it out or discard it. Before I ever started writing short stories, I started on a long one. I still have my unpublished novel. I only plan to write 3-5 novels in my lifetime, shoot 2 into a movie.

Now to the truth:
I don't like screen reading. I love the paperbacks, the smell of a novel, the writing, the font, the paper used. The screen cannot compensate for half of that feeling so I stay off reading long stuffs online and that accounts for me writing short stuffs

Most Nigerians don't like reading muchless something long

Short stories show how disciplined a writer can be. Because instead of you rambling off, you'd have to get your point/description across with fewer words.

Lastly, when I develop a story. I have to feel what my characters are feeling or it won't pass off as realistic to me. I am my greatest critic. Sometimes, I allow the characters dictate the flow of the story other times, I get a grip on the characters and write it my way. I don't know how else to explain this point.

Now this was an epistle

4 Likes

Re: My Flash/short Stories Collection by Nmeri17: 12:36am On Mar 01, 2015
Enoquin:

Thanks smiley
Re: My Flash/short Stories Collection by spacefreak: 6:56am On Mar 01, 2015
Enoquin:

You are looking at it from wrong angles.

There are long stories that end tragically. The concubine by Elechi Amadi, one of the most gripping Nigerian novels I read in my teens ended tragically. Never will I forget Ihuoma or Ekwueme and Emenike.

Things fall apart? The television series might have held me spell bound but the book did more than that and that was tragic too.

Books that have ended not in the way one expected?
The beautiful ones are not yet born by Ayi Kwei Armah
Weep not child by Ngugi Wa'thiongo
Lion and the Jewel by Wole Soyinka
The Sicilian by Mario Puzo etc
That's blowing your first theory off.

These stories aren't new. So, I didn't just sit and work on them now; they were already written and in my completed stories folder. They have even been posted on other forums. True, I have less time but brother I tell you, once a scene needs to be fleshed out to a story, it can be done. Not all stories need to be fleshed out and that's a truth.

Well, I have my lazy days as a writer. I write scribbles that I might not go back to or stumble on and flesh it out or discard it. Before I ever started writing short stories, I started on a long one. I still have my unpublished novel. I only plan to write 3-5 novels in my lifetime, shoot 2 into a movie.

Now to the truth:
I don't like screen reading. I love the paperbacks, the smell of a novel, the writing, the font, the paper used. The screen cannot compensate for half of that feeling so I stay off reading long stuffs online and that accounts for me writing short stuffs

Most Nigerians don't like reading muchless something long

Short stories show how disciplined a writer can be. Because instead of you rambling off, you'd have to get your point/description across with fewer words.

Lastly, when I develop a story. I have to feel what my characters are feeling or it won't pass off as realistic to me. I am my greatest critic. Sometimes, I allow the characters dictate the flow of the story other times, I get a grip on the characters and write it my way. I don't know how else to explain this point.

Now this was an epistle

I understand. Thanks for explaining. Your reasons are logical. Didn't expect logical reasons. smiley

1 Like

Re: My Flash/short Stories Collection by Enoquin(f): 9:19am On Mar 05, 2015
tongue
How I wan take talk am?

Dat morrin as I wan baff na so I dey put ear for dis babe music, Omawunmi, dat song wey she sing say, ‘If you ask me, na who I go ask?’ My madam don comot tey tey and I know say before she go come back e go still tey, so I say before I baff make I carry my body go upstairs for her and oga room.
E get one fine white trouser wey she buy and I be one go taste am because I hear say person yansh dey come out well well for white trouser especially if you no wear pant or you wear g-string. Before I go continue my tori make I talk about my madam and oga dem.

My Madam: She no too good, she no too bad. Sometimes when I go market come back late, she no go even send me. She go just talk say,
“Ehen, I know you went to see your boyfriend. Thank God you didn’t stay too long. Now hurry into the kitchen, my baby would soon be back.”
And sometimes when I wash clothes and the ting still get small stain, she go talk say, “You are too dirty Mary, sometimes I wonder if your undies are even clean”; and the annoying ting be say na infront of oga she go shout the whole ting so tey my oga come dey look me one kain.

My Oga: He no too good, he no too bad. Na to dey blow grammer up and down like say im be professor, but I hear say im no even finish unifersity say as im papa die, de guy jus use im papa money push im business so tey the business come grow yakata, now my oga na big man. The man no dey eye me o, na jus jeje all of us be for house.

Myself: Eferibodi know say I be cool babe. I no dey like wahala, na only to dey wish say one day I go be like my madam. I go get housemaids full ground. One go dey wash my clothes, another one go dey iron my clothes, another one go dey cook my food and the last one go dey go market, abi wetin man pickin want again for this world?

So make I continue my tori. As I enter dem madam room, I jus go straight to the wardrobe because I no wan waste time. I rush comot my wrapper, come wear the trouser. Omo men, if you see as the ting fine for my body ehn, you go wan tief me!
Na as I dey comot the trouser na im I hear person dey come the room side. Omo, see as I dive enter the wardrobe, even Jackie Chan for give me award. The door open and as I hear my oga voice dey talk with im phone, e be like say dem pour cold water for my body, wetin I go talk say I dey do for dia room?

“Yes, it’s fine. I was thinking we could go for that exhibition taking place at the art gallery.”
I no know wetin the pesin reply am but I hear as im laff.
“No, Tunde. I am married and you know I wouldn’t stray. If you bring that lady over to the exhibition, I may persuade wifey to come with me and that could be quite unpleasant for the lady and yourself. Quit trying to make me fall man, I wouldn’t do anything to hurt my wife. Look I’m going to put you on the speaker because I want to take off my clothes”

Chei, Oga abeg no comot your cloth, abeg! God where you dey? But e be like say even God dey use me play as my oga comot im cloth finish come even mess on top.
“You are crazy men! Why would you fart like that with me on speaker?” The voice from the phone ask my oga.
“Really, that’s a ludicrous question. I can do whatever I want in my house. Moreover I am alone.”

Abeg Oga you no dey alone o, no mess again abeg. Kai! The mess smell no be small. Shey na de food wey I dey cook dey make oga mess smell like this?
“Hey man, I’ve got to go. I want to have my bath and freshen up before wifey comes home. We’ll talk later.”
My oga cut the call come enter bathroom. I manage come outside as I say make I look for my wrapper wey I throw inside wardrobe wen oga dey come, na im one big abarra land for my back.
“So this is what you and my husband do, when I am not around?!”
All my body shock and piss nearly comot as I bin hear madam voice for my back. Una don forget say I no wear pant and my yansh jus chook outside as I bin wan bend down carry my wrapper. As I turn face madam, I jus weak because I know no how I wan take talk am.

4 Likes 3 Shares

Re: My Flash/short Stories Collection by Enoquin(f): 9:21am On Mar 05, 2015
spacefreak:

I understand. Thanks for explaining. Your reasons are logical. Didn't expect logical reasons. smiley

smiley Were you expecting a rant?
Re: My Flash/short Stories Collection by spacefreak: 4:14pm On Mar 05, 2015
Enoquin:

smiley Were you expecting a rant?

Lol no, not at all. You don't seem like the kinda lady that goes on a ranting spree. Your response was very well thought out, I had no wiggle room. That actually surprised me.

1 Like

Re: My Flash/short Stories Collection by spacefreak: 4:21pm On Mar 05, 2015
cheesy cheesy cheesy hilarious story. I love the use of pidgin. You are a good writer and you've got me thinking. tongue
Re: My Flash/short Stories Collection by kilokeys(m): 4:41pm On Mar 05, 2015
she commands pidgin well..

kudos.. the question got me thinking..
werin im wan tell madam.. and werin oga wan madam..
eno u must finish it o

1 Like

Re: My Flash/short Stories Collection by Enoquin(f): 9:41am On Mar 11, 2015
I don talk am!

As I turn face madam, na plenty tings jus enter my head, wetin I wan tell madam? Which kain lie I go take lie wey my punishment go reduce? As I don dey used to this place, e no go too sweet to return go back to the place wey my papa and mama dey stay. I no talk say I no like my papa and mama o, before una turn to dey curse me but I don big pass the place wey dem dey stay and no be mouth. A girl suppose aim for the skies na, abi no be so? As madam wan open mouth shout again na im I jus fall for ground dey roll.
“Mary! What’s this? What’s happening?”
The kain fear wey enter my madam voice be wan make me laff but dem no born me well to try am.

“Jesus tank you, father tank you.” I stop to dey roll come begin dey shake. Na dat moment oga comot from baffroom. All this time e bin dey listen to music for inside the baffroom, so the man no kukuma hear all the wahala wey bin dey go on.

“Holy crap! What’s this?!”
“Well, I came in and saw her naked. She was actually bent waist down in front of…”
“Stop! Stop!! Is this…like a set-up or what?” The fear wey dey my oga voice no be small one.
“Baby, are you even listening to what I am saying. Are you saying that you did not know Mary was in the room? Is it a coincidence that you were in the bathroom and she was ready to leave the room?”
“What in heaven’s name are you talking about? And why have you left her uncovered? Gosh baby, sometimes you need to take things one step at a time.”
“And what’s that supposed to mean?”
“It means you should have ensured that she was covered especially as you saw that I was getting out of the shower and not leave all of her shaking like that.”
“Really all of her, why pretend you haven’t seen it all?”
“Thanks to you, now I have.”
As I see say the ting fit bring kata kata between dem two, na im I sit up. As dem see me, both of dem keep quiet, oga wey no tie towel before quick quick grab one tie, madam jus pull dia bed sheet take cover my body.
“What were you doing here, Mary?” Madam use jeje voice ask me.
“Oga, madam no vex. Na help I bin dey help una.”

“Help who? By sleeping with my husband? Baby, I thought you said…”
“Na one prophet ma!” If I no interrupt madam, e fit turn to something else.
“The prophet talk say if I no dance naked for every room of the house wey I bin dey stay say the person wey dey hold your belle make you no born pickin go succeed.”

“Why would you believe such crap? Oh Mary, you are so silly! Has it ever occurred to you or your prophet that we might be into family planning?”
Yes, e better make I dey silly.
“But madam, the man dream dey come to pass. E bin dream one time say my papa work go finish and the ting happen.”

“Well, hasn’t he had any good dreams like you being crowned Miss Nigeria or winning the ‘who wants to be a millionaire’ show?” My oga fit use style style yab pesin.
“I no know sir, I no be God.”

“Didn’t you know oga was in the room or didn’t you even hear him come into the house?”
“Whenever I dey spirit I no dey hear anyting around me and …”
“Well, needless to say Mary, you nearly caused a catastrophe between my wife and I. Next time…”
“Next time? Baby, seriously I don’t think there will be a next time. I don't want her around here anymore.”
“Come on! Where’s the carefree, forgiving woman I married? I think Mary’s problem stems from illiteracy; she should be a challenge to you. Perhaps she needs to start school. A literate mind wouldn’t easily be conned by a fraudulent prophet and let’s not forget that she thought she was doing us a favor.”
Kai, my rep don suffer; shey na me be illiterate? I fit vex now talk de whole truth, if dem like make dem chase me comot but as I think am more, e be like say e go better make I go school sef, at least make I sabi speak engrish small.
“Let’s talk about this later, after she is out of our room and besides I don’t like your defending her. Mary go to your room.” As she see say I bin wan comot the bedsheet…
”No, don’t remove that. Just go! Make sure you take it to the laundry later.”
“Oga tank you, madam tank you. God go bless una, for my life I no go believe dat prophet again. God tank…”
Kai, e be like say na next time wen dem don comot na im I go come carry my wrapper wey dey inside wardrobe be dat.

“Mary, just go!”
As I bin dey comot, na im I hear oga ask madam.
“So, how did you say she was bent… I mean how did you find her again?”
"Am I supposed to answer that?!"
E be like say my oga take style style get small craze, how im go ask madam dat kain question?
Omo men e no concern me sha but na so I bin take escape and na so I bin take start school. Who talk say bush girl dey carry last?

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: My Flash/short Stories Collection by Enoquin(f): 9:46am On Mar 11, 2015
spacefreak:
cheesy cheesy cheesy hilarious story. I love the use of pidgin. You are a good writer and you've got me thinking. tongue

undecided You no even go with the flow, come dey write english as if na you born Queen Lizzy.
So, wetin you come dey think na?
Re: My Flash/short Stories Collection by Enoquin(f): 9:51am On Mar 11, 2015
kilokeys:
she commands pidgin well..

kudos.. the question got me thinking..
werin im wan tell madam.. and werin oga wan madam..
eno u must finish it o

Bobo write the pidgin well na, abi you dey write phone ontop pidgin again? Which wan be 'werin'?

Anyways, make una no vex as I no update,I busy pass busy

1 Like

Re: My Flash/short Stories Collection by spacefreak: 10:16am On Mar 11, 2015
Enoquin:

undecided You no even go with the flow, come dey write english as if na you born Queen Lizzy.
So, wetin you come dey think na?

cheesy cheesy if I tell you wetin adee think so eh you fit no believam. I no fit dey outside dey wash pant. People eye dey everywhere tongue
Re: My Flash/short Stories Collection by Enoquin(f): 11:00am On Mar 11, 2015
cheesy cheesy Guy, this ya washing pant proverb no be here oh grin I laugh sotey I no fit type
spacefreak:

cheesy cheesy if I tell you wetin adee think so eh you fit no believam. I no fit dey outside dey wash pant. People eye dey everywhere tongue
Re: My Flash/short Stories Collection by spacefreak: 11:13am On Mar 11, 2015
Enoquin:
cheesy cheesy Guy, this ya washing pant proverb no be here oh grin I laugh sotey I no fit type

cheesy but you understand me na. I go like make we talk but no be for here. Bad belle people dey everywhere. grin
Re: My Flash/short Stories Collection by Enoquin(f): 11:19am On Mar 11, 2015
spacefreak:

cheesy but you understand me na. I go like make we talk but no be for here. Bad belle people dey everywhere. grin

Oya send PM. We no want make bad belle people even know the colour of the pant shocked tongue grin
Re: My Flash/short Stories Collection by spacefreak: 11:28am On Mar 11, 2015
Enoquin:

Oya send PM. We no want make bad belle people even know the colour of the pant shocked tongue grin

My pm dey act like mad man most times maybe na because say my account don old dey wear pampers. grin Try follow back make I try the matter. smiley
Re: My Flash/short Stories Collection by Nmeri17: 1:22am On Mar 13, 2015
grin grin
Re: My Flash/short Stories Collection by Enoquin(f): 9:17am On Mar 18, 2015
That I Might Forget

Sweat streaks across my brow
My heart beating faster than your thought
Ride me my lord,
Ride me that I might forget

Forget how easily I might slip
Into endlessness and despair
Harder my lord,
Harder, that I might forget

Forget the path that I chose not
Or how lowly I have sunk.
Easy my lord,
Easy, so we both don't crash

For I musn't forget my place
A slave doing the bidding of her master
Crossing lines that we shouldn't
Damning me to eternal despair
And you to what?

1 Like 3 Shares

Re: My Flash/short Stories Collection by Enoquin(f): 9:20am On Mar 18, 2015
spacefreak:

My pm dey act like mad man most times maybe na because say my account don old dey wear pampers. grin Try follow back make I try the matter. smiley

E be like say you no receive my reply true true...
Re: My Flash/short Stories Collection by Enoquin(f): 9:29am On Mar 18, 2015
Nmeri17:
grin grin

Guy, why you dey open teeth as if na only you dey use toothpaste? cheesy tongue

How art thee?
Re: My Flash/short Stories Collection by boolet: 9:30am On Mar 18, 2015
Enoquin:
That I Might Forget

Sweat streaks across my brow
My heart beating faster than your thought
Ride me my lord,
Ride me that I might forget

Forget how easily I might slip
Into endlessness and despair
Harder my lord,
Harder, that I might forget

Forget the path that I chose not
Or how lowly I have sunk.
Easy my lord,
Easy, so we both don't crash

For I musn't forget my place
A slave doing the bidding of her master
Crossing lines that we shouldn't
Damning me to eternal despair
And you to what?
Nice piece! Massages her master's ego as she tactfully pleads for leniency. The slave has everything to lose and with a rhetorical question says it's uncertain the master could lose.
Re: My Flash/short Stories Collection by Enoquin(f): 9:38am On Mar 18, 2015
boolet:

Nice piece! Massages her master's ego as she tactfully pleads for leniency. The slave has everything to lose and with a rhetorical question says it's uncertain the master could lose.

Boolet, my elusive poetic friend. This poem got lost in the NL tsunami.

Someone once had an interesting view about this poem, that the master was the slave and the slave, the master/mistress. You are right about the ego massage

1 Like

Re: My Flash/short Stories Collection by spacefreak: 11:23am On Mar 18, 2015
Enoquin:

E be like say you no receive my reply true true...

I dey tell you. I no see am oo. I don tire for the matter.
Re: My Flash/short Stories Collection by Nmeri17: 4:38pm On Mar 18, 2015
Enoquin:

Guy, why you dey open teeth as if na only you dey use toothpaste? cheesy tongue

How art thee?
smiley smiley

behold good health has been bestowed upon me. the light of mine Lord also shineth along my path smiley at a time like this, thy friend is in search of a fair handmaiden embarassed

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

The Whistle Blower / My Demon Sister / E-books Download: James Hardley Chase

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 83
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.