Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,387 members, 7,781,110 topics. Date: Friday, 29 March 2024 at 09:08 AM

On the Apparent Correlation Between Religion and Social Ills - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / On the Apparent Correlation Between Religion and Social Ills (2329 Views)

The Difference Between RELIGION And CHRISTIANITY. / Between Religion And Morality: Which One Can Take You To Heaven / The Difference Between Religion And Christianity (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

On the Apparent Correlation Between Religion and Social Ills by exu(m): 8:57pm On Sep 27, 2005
Societies worse off 'when they have God on their side' by Ruth Gledhill, Religion Correspondent

RELIGIOUS belief can cause damage to a society, contributing towards high murder rates, abortion, sexual promiscuity and suicide, according to research published today.

[url]http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,2-1798944,00.html[/url]

1 Like

Re: On the Apparent Correlation Between Religion and Social Ills by Seun(m): 1:22pm On Oct 02, 2005
Interesting correlation. The more religious countries also have more crime.

[img]http://moses.creighton.edu.nyud.net:8090/JRS/2005/2005-11fig/fig2.jpg[/img]

Legend
A = Australia
C = Canada
D = Denmark
E = Great Britain
F = France
G = Germany
H = Holland
I = Ireland
J = Japan
L = Switzerland
N = Norway
P = Portugal
R = Austria
S = Spain
T = Italy
U = United States
W = Sweden
Z = New Zealand

1 Like

Re: On the Apparent Correlation Between Religion and Social Ills by layi(m): 3:01pm On Oct 04, 2005
If you've decided to isolate religion as the sole/major cause of crime. Can you then tell us how GOd beign on ur side can make 1 criminal. As far as i'm concerned the charts says nothing. Give us the logical relationship btw crime and religion. Ho does 1 affect the other?
Re: On the Apparent Correlation Between Religion and Social Ills by exu(m): 5:25pm On Oct 04, 2005
I haven't decided anything, these are people who've dedicated their lives to scientific research who are saying that a culture of religious dependence is also one where crime thrives...

p.s.
Being religious is rarely about God; it's often about people maintaning a self righteous, pious, pompous and often hypocritical image...from my personal experience of course...
Re: On the Apparent Correlation Between Religion and Social Ills by layi(m): 10:43am On Oct 05, 2005
exu:

Being religious is rarely about God; it's often about people maintaning a self righteous, pious, pompous and often hypocritical image...from my personal experience of course...

I agree with that point but disagree with the word "rarely".
The basis of religion is to communicate with the Almighty and source of all human life. True, its been infilterated and thus lost purpose over the yrs but we've still got sincere people doing it right. Lots of them.

But i still cant see the direct correlation btw religion and crime. I'll also like to know how religion directly affects crime.
Re: On the Apparent Correlation Between Religion and Social Ills by fabian(f): 4:15pm On Oct 26, 2005
This is a rubbish statistic!I believe the author just asked his kid to tick wherever he liked to make a graph!
Re: On the Apparent Correlation Between Religion and Social Ills by layi(m): 5:27pm On Oct 26, 2005
cheesy
Re: On the Apparent Correlation Between Religion and Social Ills by Seun(m): 6:01pm On Oct 27, 2005
Why would a reputable newspaper like the London Times report about a "rubbish statistic".
Re: On the Apparent Correlation Between Religion and Social Ills by fabian(f): 11:39am On Oct 28, 2005
Only God knows, I guess! Besides, I beileve anybody is capable of anything so I don't judge by reputation!
Re: On the Apparent Correlation Between Religion and Social Ills by Seun(m): 12:44pm On Oct 28, 2005
Let me give you a possible reason why religion leads to more crime:

- In a religious country, when someone is killed people say, "it is God that protects" or "may their souls rest in peace in the bosom of our Lord". or "anyway, we know that she is All talk, no action.

- In a less religious country, people say, "how can we prevent this unbelievably awful incident from happening in the future?" because they believe that life is very valuable and after death there's nothing.

How about that?

1 Like

Re: On the Apparent Correlation Between Religion and Social Ills by layi(m): 12:53pm On Oct 28, 2005
We've apparently forgotten that the religious countries aint ruled by religious dictates. They've got law enforcements agent who act independednt of their religious believes.

1 Like

Re: On the Apparent Correlation Between Religion and Social Ills by exu(m): 9:26pm On Nov 06, 2005
I think you guys have missed the point...

But to you, layi, in a religious country a vast number of the populace will have been 'indoctrinated' into a specific way of thinking, which will in turn manifest itself in everyday life and the laws of the land...

Take the ban on homosexuality in Nigeria for example...If anyone sought to have that law repealed the first thing people would say is that 'God' is against it because someone told them (via a book) that 'God' told them that men should have relations with women...

In a country where the people are less inclined to follow the advice of religious leaders, or use religious texts to support their unworldy/ignorant opinions the people would seek to ensure that all people are treated fairly and in the case of homosexuality the people would come to a 'logical' conclusion and allow them to live freely...

1 Like

Re: On the Apparent Correlation Between Religion and Social Ills by exu(m): 10:18pm On May 23, 2006
To mlks,

You continue to bring up the topic of racist attacks in Germany and Russia. Are you saying that only non-religious people are capable of racism/violence?
Re: On the Apparent Correlation Between Religion and Social Ills by mlksbaby(f): 10:36pm On May 23, 2006
@exu,

I don't know what's informing your perturbations tonight. What again did you just state as your claim in the other thread? Let me quote you:
exu:

my claim that religious societies are (very often) dysfunctional societies.

And what did I counter that with? See again:
mlks_baby:

The claim was yours - "that religious societies are (very often) dysfunctional societies" - and that's not true. If there's any shred of objectivity in that myopic and biased claim, it means you're very conveniently ignoring the fact that non-religious societies are as equally dysfunctional.

I also left you a link to see for yourself Russia: Racism 'Out Of Control,' Says Amnesty.

Now back to the discussion. What's your problem with my counter that "non-religious societies are as equally dysfunctional"? Not for once did I deny that religious people have and experience some of the things that every other person does - from the dark sides of racism to other social ills. What your problem is has been that you always want to ignore the fact that in the real world, non-religious people have continued to be as equally dysfunctional as you have observed about religious people. All I want you to see is that, if you continue to look at things with one eye closed, that's prejudice - the classic t type that you get from such guys as Gregory Paul et al. It is not religious people that Amnesty International is repoting for this very serious social malady of racism - it's rather non-religious youths.

Bottom line: unless you want to continue to ignore what Gregory Paul is refusing to look at, it will not be surprising that you can't see that racism is a serious factor when classing societies as dysfunctional. Non-religious societies are as equally dysfunctional as you want to so pedantically blame the religious societies alone for your perceived perturbations.
Re: On the Apparent Correlation Between Religion and Social Ills by exu(m): 11:00pm On May 23, 2006
Crime is crime. Murder is murder. Fact is that even with all the racism that exists in what is essentially a backwards nation the rate of crime is still lower.

It's sad that racist murders are happening in Russia but is it really any different from the killing of (so called) Christians in northern Nigeria? Or Jews killing Arabs in Israel? Or Christians being killed by Muslims in Pakistan? Hindus killing Christians in India, is that better? Or Muslims killing people irrespective of their religion in New York, Madrid and London?

Also, small point, but it wasn't so long ago that Russia was a Communist country- essentially a nation where the State was God. So Russia, in effect, is yet another nation full of religious crackpots.
Re: On the Apparent Correlation Between Religion and Social Ills by KAG: 11:17pm On May 23, 2006
As far as I'm aware, Russia is not a non-religious society/country.
Re: On the Apparent Correlation Between Religion and Social Ills by mlksbaby(f): 11:28pm On May 23, 2006
@exu,

See? How have you countered what I've been saying all along? I should have summarised it: "Both religious and non-religious societies have expressed dysfunctional tendencies."
Re: On the Apparent Correlation Between Religion and Social Ills by exu(m): 6:35pm On May 24, 2006
I was being facetious. Yes you're right, both non-religious and religious societies have suffered social ills but not on the same scale.

I'm still waiting on those stats that prove me wrong.

(1) (Reply)

Should Religious Dogma Be Free From Criticism? / Is Alcohol A Sin? / Atheist; Can You Go Back To Religion?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 30
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.