Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,255 members, 7,807,874 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 09:19 PM

Why Do People Laugh At Their Boss' Jokes Even When They Know It's Not Funny? - Nairaland / General - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Why Do People Laugh At Their Boss' Jokes Even When They Know It's Not Funny? (1118 Views)

7 Most Ridiculous Names Of People (laugh Or Gag?) / Why Do Mad People Laugh? / Why Do People Die? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Do People Laugh At Their Boss' Jokes Even When They Know It's Not Funny? by hermesprogidy(m): 1:13pm On Dec 03, 2014
I have a very dry boss, as in, this guy's jokes are so dry; It could result in harmmattan or some strong sirocco wind. The annoying thing is that anytime he cracks his god-awful jokes, my colleagues just start laughing hysterically (am serious), only to come out latter and complain that the guy's joke was dry angry angry

Anytime I make up my mind not to laugh at his jokes, those stewpid colleagues of mine end up laughing and am left with no choice but to join the chorus angry angry

Am just curious, why do people do that?
Re: Why Do People Laugh At Their Boss' Jokes Even When They Know It's Not Funny? by Nobody: 1:26pm On Dec 03, 2014
I de come
Re: Why Do People Laugh At Their Boss' Jokes Even When They Know It's Not Funny? by Nobody: 1:39pm On Dec 03, 2014
one word...#eyeservice!!
Guy don't mind your colleagues who say it is dry o!, the day you don't laugh, they'll be the ones to go and gossip to the oga that you called him 'dry'. small time, the man go begin witch-hunt you for nothing.
Next time when he cracks his sahara desert joke, throw your head back and produce a bellyful of rumbling laughter (you can even pretend to wipe a tear or two)
Tell yourself that he is funnier than AY O! All join for 'terms of service'

1 Like

Re: Why Do People Laugh At Their Boss' Jokes Even When They Know It's Not Funny? by Ploy(m): 2:06pm On Dec 03, 2014
In the voice of triple H, that is GOOD FOR BUSINESS.

You don't want the boss to appear stu.pid, do you? You better make him happy or else; you APA form.
Re: Why Do People Laugh At Their Boss' Jokes Even When They Know It's Not Funny? by hermesprogidy(m): 2:10pm On Dec 03, 2014
bestestgirl:
one word...#eyeservice!!
Guy don't mind your colleagues who say it is dry o!, the day you don't laugh, they'll be the ones to go and gossip to the oga that you called him 'dry'. small time, the man go begin witch-hunt you for nothing.
Next time when he cracks his sahara desert joke, throw your head back and produce a bellyful of rumbling laughter (you can even pretend to wipe a tear or two)
Tell yourself that he is funnier than AY O! All join for 'terms of service'
grin grin grin grin you funny die

1 Like

Re: Why Do People Laugh At Their Boss' Jokes Even When They Know It's Not Funny? by hermesprogidy(m): 2:10pm On Dec 03, 2014
Lacomus:
I de come
As in ejaculate?
Re: Why Do People Laugh At Their Boss' Jokes Even When They Know It's Not Funny? by Mprex(f): 2:39pm On Dec 03, 2014
They laugh out of politeness. Nothing more

1 Like

Re: Why Do People Laugh At Their Boss' Jokes Even When They Know It's Not Funny? by BuddhaPalm(m): 5:02pm On Feb 17, 2015
One word: STATUS.

You are non-verbally reassuring him that you are 'loyal'.

Humans, like most other primates, have social structures that are very hierarchical.

And for your safety, your brain applies IMMENSE pressure on you to always defer to people who you perceive to have a higher social rank.

In the present context, you could, maybe lose your job. But aeons ago, when the strongest was the law - you would be courting a mortal injury or banishment from the tribe.
Re: Why Do People Laugh At Their Boss' Jokes Even When They Know It's Not Funny? by hermesprogidy(m): 5:14pm On Feb 17, 2015
I like the Anthropological twist to it you gave to the issue, But my beef is that don't come and disturb my ears with complaints if you thought the boss'joke was draining your life force angry
BuddhaPalm:
One word: STATUS.

You are non-verbally reassuring him that you are 'loyal'.

Humans, like most other primates, have social structures that are very hierarchical.

And for your safety, your brain applies IMMENSE pressure on you to always defer to people who you perceive to have a higher social rank.

In the present context, you could, maybe lose your job. But aeons ago, when the strongest was the law - you would be courting a mortal injury or banishment from the tribe.

(1) (Reply)

NEW YEAR RESOLUTIONS THAT WILL HELP U...*thank me later* / Foreign Donors Vote Millions To Promote Gay Culture In Africa / Police Confirm Political Assassination In IMO State (graphics)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 24
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.