Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,072 members, 7,807,210 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 11:08 AM

Should A Good Christian Drink Alcohol? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Should A Good Christian Drink Alcohol? (6990 Views)

To The Christians -can A Christian Drink.??? / 75 Biblical Reason Why You Should Not Drink Alcohol / Did Jesus Drink Alcohol? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Should A Good Christian Drink Alcohol? by dafidixone(m): 11:12am On Dec 02, 2008
Alcohol or wine, should christian drink any substance with alcohol at all? Does God command non drinking of alcohol? Will a drunk make heaven?

Let us be as objective as possible on this. No self justification. The word of the Lord will be light unto our path in Jesus name.
cool
Re: Should A Good Christian Drink Alcohol? by KunleOshob(m): 12:12pm On Dec 02, 2008
Luke 7:34:
34 The Son of Man, on the other hand, feasts and drinks, and you say, ‘He’s a glutton and a drunkard, and a friend of tax collectors and other sinners!’

John 2:9-10:

9 When the master of ceremonies tasted the water that was now wine, not knowing where it had come from (though, of course, the servants knew), he called the bridegroom over. 10 “A host always serves the best wine first,” he said. “Then, when everyone has had a lot to drink, he brings out the less expensive wine. But you have kept the best until now!”

1 Timothy 5:23:

23 Don’t drink only water. You ought to drink a little wine for the sake of your stomach because you are sick so often.

Of course we all know that Jesus also drank and shared wine with his disciples at the last supper, what else is there to say I don't know were people keep getting this silly idea that christians are not meant to drink when there are several examples of Jesus and his followers drinking in the bible andthere is not one single verse in the bible which expressly states that christians should not drink. The bible actually recomends drinking in moderation and not avoidance of alcohol.

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Should A Good Christian Drink Alcohol? by Maykelly(f): 9:49am On Dec 03, 2008
dafidixone:

Let us be as objective as possible on this. No self justification. The word of the Lord will be light unto our path in Jesus name.
cool

Amen.
Re: Should A Good Christian Drink Alcohol? by smile4kenn(m): 12:20pm On Dec 03, 2008
lets drink as much as we can, drink and be happyy
do not cause problems when u drink,
it is not a sin to drink alcohol, if it is a sin, then stop using perfumes, body sprays and make ups,
Re: Should A Good Christian Drink Alcohol? by ow11(m): 2:21pm On Dec 03, 2008
@post

Yes, you can drink if you want.

However, a christian should be aware of this scripture ''Abstain from all appearances of evil'' I Thess. 5:12. In Nigeria, the general public view alcohol consumption as evil or something bad so it gets tricky as the bible does encourage some form of drinking but not to the point of getting drunk. The person involved should be aware of his environment and act accordingly.
Re: Should A Good Christian Drink Alcohol? by Moyola(f): 2:21pm On Dec 03, 2008
Nope!
Re: Should A Good Christian Drink Alcohol? by KunleOshob(m): 2:25pm On Dec 03, 2008
ow11:

@post

. In Nigeria, the general public view alcohol consumption as evil or something bad so it gets tricky as the bible does encourage some form of drinking but not to point of getting drunk. The person involved should be aware of his environment and act accordingly.
Only hypocrites and ill informed people would view alcohol consumption as evil or bad, our lord and saviour Jesus christ used to consume alcohol when he was with us. cool
Re: Should A Good Christian Drink Alcohol? by JJYOU: 2:27pm On Dec 03, 2008
woli kunle dont worry form your church allow all the gay and lesbians, theives, fornicators and liars. alcohol consumers would be your least worry
Re: Should A Good Christian Drink Alcohol? by mazaje(m): 2:32pm On Dec 03, 2008
JJYOU:

woli kunle don't worry form your church allow all the gay and lesbians, theives, fornicators and liars. alcohol consumers would be your least worry

who is this self righteous hippocrite?
Re: Should A Good Christian Drink Alcohol? by JJYOU: 2:39pm On Dec 03, 2008
mazaje:

who is this self righteous hippocrite?
what is the matter with you? you dont like the mix of members recommended. or it excluded your group.
Re: Should A Good Christian Drink Alcohol? by ow11(m): 2:45pm On Dec 03, 2008
KunleOshob:

Only hypocrites and ill informed people would view alcohol consumption as evil or bad, our lord and saviour Jesus christ used to consume alcohol when hewas with us. cool

You should be aware that a very high percentage of Nigerians are either hypocrites, ill-informed people or both! cheesy
Re: Should A Good Christian Drink Alcohol? by KunleOshob(m): 3:02pm On Dec 03, 2008
JJYOU:

woli kunle don't worry form your church allow all the gay and lesbians, theives, fornicators and liars. alcohol consumers would be your least worry
It is because of sinners that Jesus came to this world not for self righteous people. You are just like the pharisees who critisized Jesus for being a friend of tax collectors and other outcasts.

Luke 7:33-34:

33For John the Baptist came neither eating bread nor drinking wine; and ye say, He hath a devil.

34The Son of man is come eating and drinking; and ye say, Behold a gluttonous man, and a winebibber, a friend of publicans and sinners!
Re: Should A Good Christian Drink Alcohol? by Ify3: 4:35pm On Dec 03, 2008
Guys,
A good Christian should not drink alcohol.
Remember, we have ordinary wines (non-alcohol) and strong drinks (alcohol).

Proverbs 20:1
Wine is a mocker, strong drink is raging: and whosoever is deceived thereby is not wise.

Proverbs 23:29-30
29 Who hath woe? who hath sorrow? who hath contentions? who hath babbling? who hath wounds without cause? who hath redness of eyes? 30 They that tarry long at the wine; they that go to seek mixed wine.

Gen. 9:21
And he drank of the wine, and was drunk; and he was uncovered within his tent.

Hosea 4:11
Whoredom and wine and new wine take away the heart.

Note: Strong wines are meant for the fools so that they can drink and forget their sorrows.
Re: Should A Good Christian Drink Alcohol? by KunleOshob(m): 5:04pm On Dec 03, 2008
I-fy:

Remember, we have ordinary wines (non-alcohol) and strong drinks (alcohol).

There is no know such thing as non alcoholic wine angry wine by definition is an alcoholic beverage and the wine Jesus and his disciples took contained alcohol. What the bible says is that we should not drink in excess or get drunk with wine. You would never find it any were in the bible that as a christian you shouldn't drink alcohol
Re: Should A Good Christian Drink Alcohol? by Chrisbenogor(m): 5:17pm On Dec 03, 2008
Please did Jesus turn water to non alcoholic wine?
( that is if it even ever happened )
Sources from the Jesus seminar conclude that Jesus must have loved alcohol and might have been quite a glutton.
Re: Should A Good Christian Drink Alcohol? by Chrisbenogor(m): 5:18pm On Dec 03, 2008
Sources from the historical Jesus conclude that Jesus must have loved alcohol and might have been quite a glutton.
So if that na your worry guzzle till you tire oh!
Re: Should A Good Christian Drink Alcohol? by Chrisbenogor(m): 5:19pm On Dec 03, 2008
Sources from the historical Jesus conclude that Jesus must have loved alcohol and might have been quite a glutton.
So if that na your worry guzzle till you tire oh! Just add small bread and judas ispawpaw to betray you smiley
Re: Should A Good Christian Drink Alcohol? by smile4kenn(m): 5:48am On Dec 04, 2008
if you dont drink alcohol, then you are missing a good and sweet part of life
Re: Should A Good Christian Drink Alcohol? by arramyjay: 6:15am On Dec 04, 2008
In the bible they drank wine.
Re: Should A Good Christian Drink Alcohol? by Image123(m): 11:47am On Dec 04, 2008
@kunleOshob
please,I need your view.is wine/alcohol intoxicating?

@mazaje
would make my day he you could enlighten the board on the meaning of 'self righteous'
Re: Should A Good Christian Drink Alcohol? by KunleOshob(m): 1:24pm On Dec 04, 2008
Image123:

@kunleOshob
please,I need your view.is wine/alcohol intoxicating?

Yes it could be intoxicating if taken in excessive quantities hence the biblical injunction that wine should be taken in moderation.

1 Timothy 3:3:
3 He must not be a[b] heavy drinker [/b] or be violent. He must be gentle, not quarrelsome, and not love money.

1 Timothy 3:8:

8 In the same way, deacons must be well respected and have integrity. They must not be heavy drinkers or dishonest with money
Re: Should A Good Christian Drink Alcohol? by auwal87(m): 2:14pm On Dec 04, 2008
The Problem is Alcoholic Drinks tends to alter not only with your Moral behaviour but your overall health condition. Would you remember a level where one is tested for Alcoholic levels in his body? If you have more Alcohol in your body, then perhaps you are not well enough to do some things. In this case, whether or not you are allowed to drink alcohol, you should think by yourself that Alcoholic consumption is not generally good for yourself, and sometimes even fatal, if you look at the number of drink and drive people that died, and the cases of Cancer, and so many other diseases.

I am very sure, God will not recommend you to drink what will hurt your body or soul, if He did not forbid you. But it is upto you, Good health or Little Enjoyment.

For me, My Religion does not permit me to drink, and I have never taste a bit of it, and I am having full enjoyment and good time, I don't need it to survive, the Alcohol level in Fruits is okay for my body and soul.
Re: Should A Good Christian Drink Alcohol? by KunleOshob(m): 3:25pm On Dec 04, 2008
auwal87:

I am very sure, God will not recommend you to drink what will hurt your body or soul, if He did not forbid you. But it is upto you, Good health or Little Enjoyment.
I don't know wehre you peopleget your hallucinations from. Here is what the bible says about wine health wise: 1 Timothy 5:23:
23 Don’t drink only water. You ought to drink a little wine for the sake of your stomach because you are sick so often.

even doctors would tell you that consumption of red wine is good for your heart and digestive system. it is abuse of alcohol that is bad not the consumption of it.

auwal87:

For me, My Religion does not permit me to drink, and I have never taste a bit of it, and I am having full enjoyment and good time, I don't need it to survive, the Alcohol level in Fruits is okay for my body and soul.
And which religion is this cos this thread is directed at christians and as christians we are free to drink just as our lord and saviour Jesus christ used to drink. If you cannot quote any scripture in the bible that outrightly forbids christians to drink, i suggest you keep opinions to yourself less you begin to blasphem
Re: Should A Good Christian Drink Alcohol? by OBVIOUS(m): 6:40pm On Dec 04, 2008
Yes a good christian should drink if he likes. We have freedom in christ.

But a good christian should not have EXCESS alcohol. excess of anything, even sex.
Re: Should A Good Christian Drink Alcohol? by Hesperus(m): 6:47pm On Dec 04, 2008
Dis issue again and again. 1stly, alcohol is simply fermented starch/sugar. Any sugar containing drink if left to stand long enough will contain alcohol traces. So those who preach against alcohol shd as well abstain from sugary suff.
D keyword is moderation, in everything.
Re: Should A Good Christian Drink Alcohol? by MrCrackles(m): 6:48pm On Dec 04, 2008
POSTER
I dont know oo!!
Re: Should A Good Christian Drink Alcohol? by OBVIOUS(m): 6:49pm On Dec 04, 2008
Hesperus:

this issue again and again. 1stly, alcohol is simply fermented starch/sugar. Any sugar containing drink if left to stand long enough will contain alcohol traces. So those who preach against alcohol should as well abstain from sugary suff.
D keyword is moderation, in everything.

good point. confused xtians. Its becuase they don't take the time to read, examine, and understand the principles of the bible. They'd rather follow after the pastor like a dummy. !! grin
Re: Should A Good Christian Drink Alcohol? by Image123(m): 1:18am On Dec 05, 2008
@kunleOshob
I'm yet to see anyone who drinks who has never being drunk.Have you ever being drunk and have you seen anyone who drinks and has never being drunk?can I take small stout or harp?
Re: Should A Good Christian Drink Alcohol? by ow11(m): 8:55am On Dec 05, 2008
Image123:

@kunleOshob
I'm yet to see anyone who drinks who has never being drunk.Have you ever being drunk and have you seen anyone who drinks and has never being drunk?can I take small stout or harp?

I am 'yet to see' anyone who talks and has never lied.

I am 'yet to see' anyone who has eyes and has never looked at a woman lustfully.

Yes Image123, you can drink small stout or harp if you like. Do not however drink it to excess simple!
Re: Should A Good Christian Drink Alcohol? by KunleOshob(m): 9:47am On Dec 05, 2008
@ow11
Thanx for answering the question on my behalf. I would have assumed when i quoted Luke 7: 34 were Jesus christ declared that he was accused of being a winebibber/ drunkard just because he drinks wine with publicians and tax collectors every so called christian opposing alcohol consumption as chrisitans would sheath their sword and accept that as christians we are free to drink after all it is clear in the bible that the author of our faith used to consume alcohol. I really don't know were these pentecostals get there doctrine from, they are so fond of twisting the bible and forcing their own meaning into scripture when the truth is so glaring.
Re: Should A Good Christian Drink Alcohol? by Image123(m): 12:51pm On Dec 05, 2008
@ow11 & kunleOshob
are you saying that there's a chance that one might get drunk by taking alcohol?have you ever being drunk as a christian and when last please?ow11,pls how many bottles of small stout can I start with,that's if there's no chance of me getting drunk o?i don't like risks
Re: Should A Good Christian Drink Alcohol? by ow11(m): 1:02pm On Dec 05, 2008
@image

Yes there is a possibility of getting drunk just like there is a possibility of lying when you tell stories. Drunkeness doesnt happen by chance,people choose to consume alcohol to excess.

Image, how many cups of garri should I eat before I am accused of gluttony? How many bottles of Fanta should I drink at a particular time? Have you ever lied as a christian? If so when?

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Pastor Adeboye Preach Against Earring And Make Up And Wigs / The Holy Spirit, My Senior Partner - Understanding The Holy Spirit & His Gifts / 4 Types Of Sins That Prove That There Are Big Sins And Little Sins

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 53
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.