Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,149 members, 7,807,493 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 02:12 PM

Which Nigerian Bank Pays Best? - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Which Nigerian Bank Pays Best? (29154 Views)

Airtel Sacks Workers, Pays Off Affected Staff / Pls Which Bank Pays Highest / Which Oil Company In Nigeria Pays Best? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Which Nigerian Bank Pays Best? by jill(f): 5:21pm On Aug 10, 2006
People, lets analyse these Nigerian banks: GTB, Access, Eco, Spring, Zenith.

Anyone with information on remuneration, stress level, career development etc should feel free to comment. Please no pointless contributions are called for.
Re: Which Nigerian Bank Pays Best? by temmytanny(m): 10:17am On Aug 11, 2006
Someone told me it's Oceanic Bank (2 million per annum) but I don't know if it's true but denifitely not Spring Bank, Zenith Bank, and Union Bank.
Re: Which Nigerian Bank Pays Best? by dupiesho: 5:05pm On Aug 11, 2006
ETB pays mgt trainee 2milla p/a but dnt kno abt stress level e.t.c
Re: Which Nigerian Bank Pays Best? by ginola(m): 8:18pm On Aug 11, 2006
if oceanic is 2mill den its not d highest check Eco or ETB
Re: Which Nigerian Bank Pays Best? by chestic: 3:08pm On Aug 13, 2006
uba pays about 2.2milloin per annum
Re: Which Nigerian Bank Pays Best? by jill(f): 5:41pm On Aug 14, 2006
i believe uba pays one of the lowest salaries in the industry. certainly not up to 2 mill.
Re: Which Nigerian Bank Pays Best? by chriscon: 10:08am On Aug 21, 2006
Pls between UBA and Diamond Bank, which pays better than the other and how much does each of them pay?
Re: Which Nigerian Bank Pays Best? by option4301(m): 12:34pm On Aug 21, 2006
ETB is the highest paying bank in the industry.It goes for 2.1-2.2 milla per annum
UBA?na lie who dash monkey banana.
Re: Which Nigerian Bank Pays Best? by akynojo(m): 2:01pm On Aug 21, 2006
Its ETB (2.2m), followed by Oceanic, Intercontinental and GTB (2m), diamond is 1.8, eco is 1.6 or 1.8. uba, union and first form the lowest
Re: Which Nigerian Bank Pays Best? by alinco2(f): 8:34pm On Aug 21, 2006
is it true uba pays 1.2mil angry angry angry
Re: Which Nigerian Bank Pays Best? by Seun(m): 9:29pm On Aug 21, 2006
Are you jealous? cheesy
Re: Which Nigerian Bank Pays Best? by crito(m): 6:04am On Aug 22, 2006
(1) ETB-2.1 p/a
(2)OCEANIC-2.0 p/a
(3)IBTC-CHARTERED-1.8 p/a
(4)CITIBANK-1.7 p/a
(5)ECOBANK-1.7 p/a
(6)INTERCONTINENTAL-1.6 p/a.
Re: Which Nigerian Bank Pays Best? by crito(m): 6:07am On Aug 22, 2006
(1) ETB-2.1million p/a
(2)OCEANIC-2.0million p/a
(3)IBTC-CHARTERED-1.8million p/a
(4)CITIBANK-1.7million p/a
(5)ECOBANK-1.7million p/a
(6)INTERCONTINENTAL-1.6million p/a.
Re: Which Nigerian Bank Pays Best? by nikinash(f): 2:20pm On Aug 22, 2006
unless you have valid sources please do not give arbitrary figures.
Re: Which Nigerian Bank Pays Best? by gidig(m): 7:55pm On Aug 22, 2006
Fuuny enough, a friend who works in WEMA was telling me that ETB pays the highest but the workload is kinda high. It was so bad that our mutual friend resigned to take up a lower paying but equal position at GTB. I believe what people are saying is true- it is around 2m.
Re: Which Nigerian Bank Pays Best? by Remmzy(m): 8:25pm On Aug 22, 2006
this topic can only be discussed to details by people living in naija grin am jealous ooh!
Re: Which Nigerian Bank Pays Best? by elampiro(m): 8:33pm On Aug 22, 2006
You guys are just basing your calculation on entry level. Some banks that pay their fresh graduate well may not pay their middle management staff very well when compared to other banks which pay low salaries at entry level. Same with upper management staff. Also when you talk of career and growth, some of the banks that pay a little lesser than others may also be better in this area.

Banking renumeration is difficult to tell straight off nowadays, because there are some banks that have personalized salary structure. Staff of the same level/grade may be on different salary scale, depending on performance. One of the lowest paying banks currently, has that kind of structure in place, so that some of its staff who have been identified to be top performers earn above industrial average. Though there is a plan to by the bank's management to change all that and put all on one level (upper level).

However, at the entry level I can tell you categorically that ETB is the highest at =N=2.1m, followed by Oceanic. Unconfirmed reports has it that Intercontinental just reviewed its salary structure and now pays far more than ETB at all levels. Banks compete in all things, I am sure other banks will like to beat or equal these records soon in order to retain their staff.

One important thing I must stress here is that it is not everybody that gets a job in the bank that gets this big amount, some banks have some of their staff on contract employment . Two big banks, one old generation and one new generation have more than 60 percent of their new staff on contract. The contract job is suppose to be for OND holders, but some degree holders still accept it in order to begin from somewhere.

On the stress level, well, well ,well. There is no other industry or sector you will work that you can be stressed as much as being in the bank. It is very tough. You need to be very fit, smart, intelligent, have a positive attitude towards accepting new task and changes, flexibility and ability to adapt to changes, dressing in a particular way, neat and immaculate. You have to be analytical and vast in financial industry and regulatory policies matters in order to grow.
You may not have an opportunity of going on leave/vacation in 2 or 3 years depending on work load in the business office. You may also have to forfeit your Saturdays, at times even Sundays, leisure time will vanish, visiting of friends will dissapear. Well all these depend on the business office workload. Some office/sectors/divisions are busier than others. Operations is the most tedious, most risky, most diffcult, and mostly busy. Don't forget also that you may be given target to meet.

Inspite of the above, one must cope if one actually have self trust and confidence. One also has to be very serious and focus, show great determination. Ability to work under pressure and without or little supervision, good team spirit and good learning spirit will help one. People that are there are human beings, if you actually merit your grade/ academic qualifications, you have no problem.

Lastly, I want to know why people are always curious about how much bank workers earn. It is always a topic or an issue of discussion. Well, I have given you a clue here, you now have an idea. This is the much I can volunteer. I tried. Goodluck to those who desire to make a profession out of banking. If you are able to graduate at a very early age with good grade, and you are actually really good, you stand a good chance of getting a job as a core staff in the bank. Most banks employ on merit, and prefer sharp graduate who actually look 22-25 or thereabout at first entry into the industry. At interview they look at your face compared to the age you declared on you CV. NOTE, DON'T BE DISCOURAGED BY THE RUMOUR THAT YOU HAVE TO KNOW SOMEBODY BEFORE YOU GET AN EMPLOYMENT, JUST WORK HARD, MORE THAN 80% OF BANKS STAFF ARE TAKEN ON MERIT. Keep you ears open and read Tuesdays and Thursdays Guardian newspaper (if you can afford it), for vacancy advert and employment information.

Thanks and goodluck.
4 D LOVE OF NAIRALAND

1 Like

Re: Which Nigerian Bank Pays Best? by gabng(m): 8:59pm On Aug 22, 2006
Hey Guyz,

From the little research i did and alkso from insider sources, The highest paying bank is currently Mike Adenuga's Equitorial Trust Bank (ETB). They currently offer 2.4 Million/p.a which translates to 200k a month.

Ciao
Re: Which Nigerian Bank Pays Best? by dennylove(m): 9:38pm On Aug 22, 2006
CRITO,how did you get this information,about how banks pay their workers?are you a BANKER,OR your uncle na CHARCLES SOLUDO,ABI your father na C.B.N PRESIDENT?ABEG TELL US HOW YOUR OWN BE? because i no if understand.
Re: Which Nigerian Bank Pays Best? by crito(m): 6:26am On Aug 23, 2006
dennylove:

CRITO,how did you get this information,about how banks pay their workers?are you a BANKER,OR your uncle na CHARCLES SOLUDO,ABI your father na C.B.N PRESIDENT?ABEG TELL US HOW YOUR OWN BE? because i no if understand.
@dennylove,
i have relatives,friends and great ife alumni that works in those banks aight,and your father does not have to be charles soludo before your know pay packages in banks aight,try shine your eyes na naija you dey? im not a banker but i deal with bankers,i work with leadway! so how your own too be. be informed and dont be deformed. shocked tongue
Re: Which Nigerian Bank Pays Best? by crito(m): 6:34am On Aug 23, 2006
@dennylove
get closer to people that work in banks they will tell you whats up,your father and uncle doesnt have to be charles soludo before you know pay packages in banks aight.
lol! how your own be sef?
Re: Which Nigerian Bank Pays Best? by veloce(m): 12:15pm On Aug 23, 2006
i wonder why you guys want to know which bank pay more than the other.is it to increase the burden of those fortunate guys or what?anyway the issue is that how much do they really take home? some banks are more tax friendly than the other. others like ecobank give you free health services to a limit.pls consider those factor.best of luck. i am really enjoying the topic.
Re: Which Nigerian Bank Pays Best? by dude(m): 12:52pm On Aug 23, 2006
good talk elampiro(funny name too). i think everyone should discover where he\she will fit in. and not be primarily motivated by work pay. there's nothing more fulfilling in the work industry than geting paid for doing something you enjoy. waking up every morning should give you a drive and excitement towards meeting the days work. i for one wont work where there is no obvious coporate competition. i.e the coca-cola and pepsi type. to my opinion, i think banks suffocate their staffs with too much work load. an issue no one has touched is that how well do married women and mothers who are bankers balance work and home? i know most new generation banks close between 7.30 and 8. of what use will all that money be if matrimonial fufillment is missing? and folks, the pay only looks good at first, but the oliver twist in every human being will surface sooner than later. simply put, earning that kind of pay will increase our social status. a banker must drive a good and well maintained car, live in a posh area, and others status which will take a tidy sum to maintain.and at the end of it all, the money in it self ceases to be a motivator.

like i said before, just discover where your interest lies and work towards getting there. money certainly has its limits. cheers
Re: Which Nigerian Bank Pays Best? by elampiro(m): 7:06pm On Aug 23, 2006
dude, i like your contribution too. One thing people don't know is that at a certain level, the money will cease to be a motivator. The job routine, heavy load of work and lack of time for self become a burden. So many will become dependent on you, you keep paying heavy bills,
Re: Which Nigerian Bank Pays Best? by starry(m): 9:10pm On Aug 23, 2006
[b]sup people?no one here is even chipping in about my bank GTbank, our payment is still heavy here compared to UBA and i think ETB is coming close but in terms of workload GTBank really create room for team work and self fulfillment , i kind of find it difficult to work in any other bank, av you heard of our orange rules?
S-SIMPLICITY
P-Professionalism
S-service
F-friendliness
E-excellence
T-trustworthiness
S-social responsibility
I-innovation
, u guys must av noticed our achitectural masterpiece everywhere, can't work with any oda bank jare but i like Zenith especially their aggressive marketers, our pay is not bad as we have levels so it depends, i will inform u guys wen our recruitment is on, cheers!!!
Re: Which Nigerian Bank Pays Best? by meshach: 3:29am On Aug 24, 2006
Well to all point of view i think, Zenith bank pays about 2.3mill now(they lead kindda )
Re: Which Nigerian Bank Pays Best? by dakmanzero(m): 3:42pm On Aug 24, 2006
3 things

1. 75-80% of what you see here are lies

2. No, I can't tell you the truth

and

3. Yes, I work in a bank (hence 2)
Re: Which Nigerian Bank Pays Best? by spicy007(f): 5:32pm On Aug 24, 2006
@ elampiro

hey, which would you recommend for someone who wants to work in a bank?

marketing? or operations?
Re: Which Nigerian Bank Pays Best? by dude(m): 5:56pm On Aug 24, 2006
dakmanzero:

3 things

1. 75-80% of what you see here are lies

2. No, I can't tell you the truth

and

3. Yes, I work in a bank (hence 2)

spicy007:

@ elampiro

u sound vaque man. please be clear and let's take it up from there.
Re: Which Nigerian Bank Pays Best? by justme3(m): 6:10pm On Aug 24, 2006
Its definitely ETB but every one wants to work with Oceanic i suppose they also pay high and Access pays more than GTB
Re: Which Nigerian Bank Pays Best? by elampiro(m): 7:58pm On Aug 24, 2006
spicy007:

@ elampiro

Marketing is less stressfull. As much as you produce results (winning, bringing and retaining good/big accounts and balances), then you have rest of mind. Marketers usually have more time than operation staff, their work is more interesting, particularly when they get results. Operation is tedious but you have no fear of not meeting targets or huge targets.

I will recommend operation for a beginner. As you grow in the industry and have learnt things and understand the marketing skills, you can then switch over. However, if your dad is Bill Gate, take to marketing straight oooh.
Re: Which Nigerian Bank Pays Best? by japhy(m): 10:21am On Aug 26, 2006
make una leave story jare! no mata wot u pay 2 naija pikin 2day he go say e no reach. bt i can say dat zenithbank pay best.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

What Good Skill Can A Lady Learn In Nigeria? / 5 Ways To Know It's Time To Quit Your Job / How I Almost Died Working At A Construction Site

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 43
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.