Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,768 members, 7,806,119 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 11:41 AM

Artificial Intelligence Could End Humankind - Stephen Hawking - Science/Technology - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Artificial Intelligence Could End Humankind - Stephen Hawking (808 Views)

Stephen Hawking Says He's Figured Out To Escape From Black Hole / Humans Have Less Than 200yrs To Survive On Earth--- Stephen Hawking / Father Of All Humankind Is 340,000 Years Old (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Artificial Intelligence Could End Humankind - Stephen Hawking by dokunbam(m): 4:21pm On Dec 03, 2014
LONDON — Professor Stephen Hawking is warning that artificial intelligence could end mankind as we know it.

In an interview with the BBC on Tuesday, he admitted his fears about the consequences of future creations, which could match or surpass humans' current abilities.

"The development of full artificial intelligence could spell the end of the human race," Hawking said.

The theoretical physicist, who has amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (ALS), uses A.I. to communicate.

At a press conference in London on Tuesday, Hawking spoke about new software from Intel Labs that can predict the next words he wants to say from words he previously inputs. The new SwiftKey system, which took three years to develop, means he has to type fewer than 20% of all characters.

Although he sees the benefit of existing artificial intelligence, Hawking said, he added that future machines could redesign themselves at an ever increasing rate.

"Humans, who are limited by slow biological evolution, couldn't compete, and would be superseded."

In recent months, Tesla and SpaceX founder Elon Musk have compared A.I. to nuclear war and even demons.

"With artificial intelligence we are summoning the demon," Musk told an audience at MIT's Centennial Symposium. "In all those stories where there’s the guy with the pentagram and the holy water, it’s like, 'Yeah, he’s sure he can control the demon.' Doesn't work out."

Musk has said that A.I. is the biggest existential threat we face and called for regulatory oversight at national or international level.

Read more
Re: Artificial Intelligence Could End Humankind - Stephen Hawking by Nobody: 4:24pm On Dec 03, 2014
[quote author=dokunbam post=28562314][/quote]i agree. inteligence is synonymous with control. it would only be a matter of time before they started wanting to take control.
Re: Artificial Intelligence Could End Humankind - Stephen Hawking by holatin(m): 4:29pm On Dec 03, 2014
Technology wahalla.
Too much of research go cause
Re: Artificial Intelligence Could End Humankind - Stephen Hawking by Blakjewelry(m): 7:34pm On Dec 03, 2014
That is very true, if man is not careful we will destroy our self one day
Re: Artificial Intelligence Could End Humankind - Stephen Hawking by Nobody: 9:47pm On Dec 03, 2014
The scientist that discovered nuclear fission was probably very happy he has discovered something good and useful. Do you how many deaths have occurred from nuclear bombs? If there is ever a third world war, I think earth will become uninhabitable.
Those guys are happy now there are making faster computer, smaller PCs, nano this and that, evolving algorithms, self-patching programs, etc. I hope AI doesn't end the human race.
Re: Artificial Intelligence Could End Humankind - Stephen Hawking by Blakjewelry(m): 10:47pm On Dec 03, 2014
The only way forward is to merge man and machine superhuman
Re: Artificial Intelligence Could End Humankind - Stephen Hawking by dokunbam(m): 9:13pm On Dec 15, 2014
Blakjewelry:
The only way forward is to merge man and machine superhuman

The machine will still take over, cos the superhuman will see others as inferior thereby taking charge and eventually take over
Re: Artificial Intelligence Could End Humankind - Stephen Hawking by Blakjewelry(m): 9:47pm On Dec 15, 2014
dokunbam:

The machine will still take over, cos the superhuman will see others as inferior thereby taking charge and eventually take over
Yeah it's survival of the fittest, so it has being since the days of our ancestors. And am glad there are already some breakthrough in some human machine interface.
Re: Artificial Intelligence Could End Humankind - Stephen Hawking by paranorman(m): 7:20pm On Dec 16, 2014
Like i always say; 'the movies are coming true!'.. Reminds me of Terminator..
Re: Artificial Intelligence Could End Humankind - Stephen Hawking by dokunbam(m): 9:39pm On Dec 16, 2014
Our future is in our hands
Re: Artificial Intelligence Could End Humankind - Stephen Hawking by BlackSEER(m): 12:29am On Dec 20, 2014
robot will continue to be a robot.we don't have to fear anything because humans are specially made

(1) (Reply)

TRAGEDY: Four Monh Baby Fall Off Her Mother’s Back While On Okada / Tech: Will Robots Take Over Jobs? Good News For Scientists, Bad News For Finance / Top 10 Reliable Websites To Learn Electronics And Become An Engineer

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 13
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.