Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,897 members, 7,802,891 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 April 2024 at 01:53 AM

Has Television Lost Its Relevance? - TV/Movies (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / TV/Movies / Has Television Lost Its Relevance? (11911 Views)

Television Politics: Five Years Later DSTV Is Still Yet To Launch Igbo Channel / Hitv & It's Relevance In The Nigerian Broadcast Economy / How To Watch Nigerian Television Stations Overseas (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Has Television Lost Its Relevance? by stinggy(m): 5:34am On Dec 04, 2014
I don't think so..

I watch News channels, Nat Geo, Sports and Musical Channels and I can say I'm yet to be disappointed.

1 Like

Re: Has Television Lost Its Relevance? by pappy2000: 5:35am On Dec 04, 2014
As for me, DSTV isn't boring to me at all, I will have great things to watch like BBC, aljazzera, CNN etc n the rest, there is set hi g for you to watch all d time
Re: Has Television Lost Its Relevance? by Doublyu(m): 5:35am On Dec 04, 2014
@OP...TV has nt lost its relevance!! It is stil 100percent..... But programmes shown on TV has losts relevance...Well, wat do u exepct wen violence has taken over the world! D descendants of Ishmael kip bombn up nd dwn!! #EndTimeThings
Re: Has Television Lost Its Relevance? by acaciakay: 5:35am On Dec 04, 2014
Abasi amana ooh! U're so beautiful,so atractive,u're d best because u r beta dan d rest... I love u nd I wil alwys do! U're mi worldbest,mi precious,mi firstLady. I dnt lack words 2 describe u bt I hav a million words 2 qualify u. Kiss u... (Faith Ndamsa John)
Re: Has Television Lost Its Relevance? by calobinna(m): 5:36am On Dec 04, 2014
maybe?
Re: Has Television Lost Its Relevance? by Nobody: 5:39am On Dec 04, 2014
Get a smart Tv and a good internet connection..... your television will be interesting again....
Re: Has Television Lost Its Relevance? by tbaba1234: 5:39am On Dec 04, 2014
I completely agree with the op. The level of trash on tv is ridiculous. When tv in Nigeria was 4-12pm, there was more value on tv.

1 Like

Re: Has Television Lost Its Relevance? by lonelydora: 5:40am On Dec 04, 2014
Why would I watch TV when we have Nairaland?
Re: Has Television Lost Its Relevance? by doyouknow: 5:43am On Dec 04, 2014
Its true. I remember the good old days when chemistry, physics etc are been thought via tv. The degeneration is an all round thing, evev our newspapers, magazines, schools religous homes are a shadow of what they used to be.
Re: Has Television Lost Its Relevance? by Nobody: 5:43am On Dec 04, 2014
Has televesion lost it relevance?? Well yes is the answer.there are hardly interesting shows or dramas to educate and etertian one.I remember back in those days when we had interesting soap operas like binta and friends,papa ajasco,super story etc. I dont watch much of television this days because nothing great is happening there,am not saying there are no dramas or programmes,but the ones we are viewing today cant be used to compare that of nearly half decade ago.
Re: Has Television Lost Its Relevance? by skyhighweb(m): 5:47am On Dec 04, 2014
i dont watch "TV" only "CABLE" maybe that's y u are bored. wink.
Re: Has Television Lost Its Relevance? by Nobody: 5:52am On Dec 04, 2014
Sharon6:
I watch music channels alone these days.
Even the news are full of bad news.

CHECK MY SIGNATURE!!! GET RID OF STRETCH MARKS!!!
babe, abeg help for here https://www.nairaland.com/2026659/pls-suggest-body-cream-me
Re: Has Television Lost Its Relevance? by Nobody: 5:56am On Dec 04, 2014
I don't watch telly anymore. Thanks to my Dell Inspiron 15'6 laptop, I don't need to. I can live stream all the cable news networks like CNN and BBC, Sports networks like Bein Sports, and Sky sports, and I keep abreast with my favorite TV series by periodically visiting watchseries.ag every week. I'm content.
Re: Has Television Lost Its Relevance? by Ishilove: 5:56am On Dec 04, 2014
tbaba1234:
I completely agree with the op. The level of trash on tv is ridiculous. When tv in Nigeria was 4-12pm, there was more value on tv.

I completely agree.
Re: Has Television Lost Its Relevance? by ibnzubair(m): 6:03am On Dec 04, 2014
Books have always been a better option
Re: Has Television Lost Its Relevance? by Nobody: 6:04am On Dec 04, 2014
Nelsizzy:
What is the use of a TV wen i av a smart phone?

Hmm... You watch football matches on your smartphone abi??

1 Like

Re: Has Television Lost Its Relevance? by Emmysteve(m): 6:05am On Dec 04, 2014
It doesn't loose any relevance. Speak for yourself
Re: Has Television Lost Its Relevance? by Nobody: 6:07am On Dec 04, 2014
I don't think TV programs have lost their relevance so much so as TV itself. The only show I watch on TV right now is Shark Tank, and that's only because it comes on at the perfect time (right as I get ready for work), and 'cuz it's that awesome.

Everything else is caught online when I have the time and energy, i.e, very inconsistently.
Re: Has Television Lost Its Relevance? by Aidy97(f): 6:15am On Dec 04, 2014
No it hasn't,drz still NTA news@10 undecided
Re: Has Television Lost Its Relevance? by PassingShot(m): 6:17am On Dec 04, 2014
TV will continue to be relevant especially when it comes to live programs like sporting events and other special ones.

1 Like

Re: Has Television Lost Its Relevance? by Coolguy89(m): 6:20am On Dec 04, 2014
Yea tv has really lost it relevance,all dey do is to show some nasty n immoral progrms,I only watch movies n I spend most of my time on internet browsing news,chatn n readn
Re: Has Television Lost Its Relevance? by Dreyl(m): 6:26am On Dec 04, 2014
The last time i watched Tv was 5 months ago,i don't have that time again,my monster laptop had been my new Tv now.
Re: Has Television Lost Its Relevance? by chuchuo: 6:29am On Dec 04, 2014
My TV is mostly for the play station.
Re: Has Television Lost Its Relevance? by holatin(m): 6:31am On Dec 04, 2014
hmmmmm yeah but ONTV still preserving TV culture small small
Re: Has Television Lost Its Relevance? by Nobody: 6:35am On Dec 04, 2014
eleojo23:
Before now, people watch TV to keep abreast of the news but now with internet enabled devices, people can simply search for current happenings on the go.
Also many people watched TV because of the shows(dramas) they air and TV was the only way to get those shows. But now thanks to the internet, people download these shows and watch them on their computers and mobile devices.

About the things been shown on TV now, it is a reflection of how morals in the society have gradually declined. There is a shift from emphasis on simple ways of life to emphasis on pursuit of vanity with celebrities been displayed with their extravagant and often non-exemplary lifestyle being portrayed as the ideal life to live.

TV will however continue to be a part of our lives for a long time to come.
Re: Has Television Lost Its Relevance? by ice234: 6:41am On Dec 04, 2014
There is CNN, BBC, super sport.

You must not watch WWE, telemudo, MM2 etc
Re: Has Television Lost Its Relevance? by AcidosisMega: 6:45am On Dec 04, 2014
It's time to change your TV.

Are you aware people watch youtube videos on TV, browse through facebook, nairaland?

With your TV, your webcam on laptop now seems useless.

Nothing can be compared with the super high quality HD channels and movies on DSTV.

With your IR blaster and other sensors on high end smart phones, you will never want to compare anything with a TV.

Lets not even talk about those who have the cash for extensive and expensive 3D televisions.

1 Like

Re: Has Television Lost Its Relevance? by naptu2: 6:48am On Dec 04, 2014
I don't think so. There's more good stuff and more bad stuff, so you've got to sift through it all.
Re: Has Television Lost Its Relevance? by libertyfather(m): 6:52am On Dec 04, 2014
Infact if I dunt hv money and anything get wrong with my fone or laptop am ready to sell the TV to fix them...internet taking over, all by yourself choose what you want to watch,learn or listen to instead of waiting till the following week for some stewpeed 20mins program...nairaland is my favorite station on the internet...I dey envy seun sense with this invention...more gas to ur cooker, thumbs up
Re: Has Television Lost Its Relevance? by alotofgrace(m): 6:54am On Dec 04, 2014
mumumugu:
Has television lost its relevance??

I seem to think so. Nowadays, there isn’t quality content like there used to be. Before this whole stream of reality shows, violence, adult content, coarse language, discretion advised warnings and the string of nothing but bad news has been broadcasted and I just cannot seem to watch anymore of it.

I probably spend about an hour or 2 a week watching television with the exception of a few special shows which make me tune in a bit longer, however after that it becomes boring, repetitive and then my TV is shut off. A lot of bad influences come from television and the shows being produced now.

Things that teens, children, youth and young adults are tuning in and that is where it becomes dangerous. They think and see it on television, so they thing its alright to do it in real life.

Back before even the , early 90’s, you’d see great quality family values always being implemented, you’d see clean and very well thought of shows that you never got bored of, people were entertained for hours watching their favourite icons play their part, you’d see appropriate clothing, appropriate topics discussed and teaching life lessons to people of all walks of life, things that never offended or hurt anyone, shows that are still discussed up until today from people who grew up in those years.

There is just a couple of good things that are on television now, like the game shows and a few of those award shows, and special events. That is all I tune into.

Do you think that TV has certainly changed in the last 20-25 years? I think so. I think it is getting worse and not better. I am glad the TV show reruns are showing at least.
Do you give yourself a time limit to watch?
I’d rather do something more productive like writing, communicating with friends and family, going out, cleaning, cooking, goi, going out seeing people, reading, being on the internet and learning so many new things, making new friends online, and so much more.
Do you watch television much? Do you tend to stay away from it?
What are your thoughts

when last did I watch tv sef!?

does it still exist?
Re: Has Television Lost Its Relevance? by Nobody: 7:03am On Dec 04, 2014
The OP hasnt probably got an Explora Decoder from DSTV; with Explora, you will understand what is called joy from watching TV, from Catch-up to Box Office, nnah men, what is the OP talking about ?

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Tribunal Orders Multichoice To Pay 50% Tax Backlog Before Hearing Appeal / What's The Worst Movie You Have Watched So Far? / Pastor Ayo Orisejafor Stars In A New Nollywood Movie.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.