Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,377 members, 7,808,341 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 10:36 AM

Has Television Lost Its Relevance? - TV/Movies (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / TV/Movies / Has Television Lost Its Relevance? (11914 Views)

Television Politics: Five Years Later DSTV Is Still Yet To Launch Igbo Channel / Hitv & It's Relevance In The Nigerian Broadcast Economy / How To Watch Nigerian Television Stations Overseas (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Has Television Lost Its Relevance? by AcidosisMega: 7:04am On Dec 04, 2014
When you lay your hands on a TV like this below with a full-HD ready decoder; you'll never stand to condemn a tv:

LG 65UB980T 65-Inch UHD 3D WebOs Smart TV + HDD With 6 UHD Movie
Price - ₦793,395

www./smart-tvs/
Re: Has Television Lost Its Relevance? by Missy89(f): 7:09am On Dec 04, 2014
Dont have one
Re: Has Television Lost Its Relevance? by martineverest(m): 7:23am On Dec 04, 2014
No need for dat,miracast dongle and google chromecast are used for mirroring ur phone content to ur tv....its wireless
naijaboiy:
its not even about the programs they show on tv these days,,because even the internet is far worse when it comes to that.

Imagine a situation where the TV is on and the family is sitting,,but everyone is busy with their phones,tabs and laptops alike. And nobody will look at the TV screen for hours.

That's how bad it has become.

Very soon we'll be buying Big Flat screen phones to replace our televisions on our walls grin

1 Like

Re: Has Television Lost Its Relevance? by jswaggzo(m): 7:24am On Dec 04, 2014
Re: Has Television Lost Its Relevance? by Nobody: 7:26am On Dec 04, 2014
TRUE
Re: Has Television Lost Its Relevance? by UjSizzle(f): 7:29am On Dec 04, 2014
Why won't tv become irrelevant when you've abandoned NTA in favor of whatever dstv offers
This is the only station that has remained true to itself over the years. No nudity. No violence. Kiddies educational programs etc.
But you'd rather watch mnet and god-knows-what because nta is 'boring'.

Anyway, I find the whole tv process just tiring now. I don't even know what time any show is aired anymore, except GUS when the season begins.

It's just sad that television has also lost its entertainment value. At one time it was a reliable means of keeping your guest entertained when everyone was short of conversational topic. Heck, it even proved a good source of generating 'gist' material, or at least served as good background noise cheesy
Now eh, I know of one person who won't put on his tv for visitors. You should see how appalled he looked when I suggested it grin
Re: Has Television Lost Its Relevance? by 2scorehigh(m): 7:38am On Dec 04, 2014
TV = Tell-a-lie-vision.

It's actually a tool for mass hypnosis.

And like all hypnotists know, you cannot perpetually keep someone hypnotized.

So TV starts to lose its flavor once people begin to 'see through' the numerous lies.

I'm guessing that's what's happening now.
Re: Has Television Lost Its Relevance? by Nelsizzy(m): 7:46am On Dec 04, 2014
XXXXXXXXXXX:

Hmm... You watch football matches on your smartphone abi??
Guess u avnt cum across DSTV mobile
Re: Has Television Lost Its Relevance? by Ignatio(m): 7:47am On Dec 04, 2014
All you that condem tv are getting old for this generation.
Re: Has Television Lost Its Relevance? by homesteady(m): 8:11am On Dec 04, 2014
Tv has lost it relevance? in which planet? do you think if it has lost it relevance, all them Samsung and co will continue making brain shattering TV innovations every day?
Or does anybody prefer watching a movie on his phone or laptop to watching it on TV?
Re: Has Television Lost Its Relevance? by MosD: 8:16am On Dec 04, 2014
TV hasn't lost its relevance. There are still some nice programmes as they were back then. And there are still many nice content that cut across ages, especially on NTA. Not NTA international on dstv, though
Re: Has Television Lost Its Relevance? by iykepromotions: 8:35am On Dec 04, 2014
according to murphy ijemba of brilafm, sell your tv and buy a radio.... radio paparazi

Re: Has Television Lost Its Relevance? by alphaomega(m): 8:48am On Dec 04, 2014
Television: now an instrument 4 d d3vil.
End time thns...
Re: Has Television Lost Its Relevance? by oluamid(m): 9:30am On Dec 04, 2014
Tv lost its hold on the audience with the advent of the internet and mobile phones.

However there are some interesting content on tv if you are not all about "flash and glamour". You can watch "Sunrise Daily" weekdays on Channels and "Democracy and the Rule of Law" 3:30pm every Sunday on Galaxy. In my opinion, these are the two best programmes currently airing on Nigerian Tv.

And by the way, I always enjoy Dotun Saseyi's political poems. Top notch satire.
Re: Has Television Lost Its Relevance? by AriDsexy(f): 11:45am On Dec 04, 2014
skyhighweb:
i dont watch "TV" only "CABLE" maybe that's y u are bored. wink.

Abi o,when the're stuffs like Jara,53extra,tinsel,clinic matters,Enews,etc.. tongue
Re: Has Television Lost Its Relevance? by Louislewis: 12:12pm On Dec 04, 2014
A good, typical and sincere answer to this is "YES". The objective of Television is for basically three things 1. Education, 2. Information and 3. Entertainment. The focus on these three objectives have been overshadow by entertainment with total deviation from the remaining two. This is totally wrong and the authorities concerned are not doing anything to remedy this, because they have taken part of their shares. This is affecting our young ones in a negative way.
Re: Has Television Lost Its Relevance? by ayobase(m): 12:35pm On Dec 04, 2014
Yomieluv:
Op,you are right.

Can't remember when last I sit in my sitting room to watch tv alone,except if fiancee is around.

She love AM-yoruba,so am always forced to watch with her.

Whenever she isn't around,I would be nairalanding than watching tv.

your fiancee LOVES AM-yoruba......no other station she LIKES?

smiley
Re: Has Television Lost Its Relevance? by Nobody: 12:48pm On Dec 04, 2014
Nelsizzy:

Buy for me nah....

Besides you can not compare the experience with of watching your OLED Tv..

Re: Has Television Lost Its Relevance? by Nobody: 12:48pm On Dec 04, 2014
Nelsizzy:

Buy for me nah....

Besides you can not compare the experience with that of watching your OLED Tv..

Re: Has Television Lost Its Relevance? by masqot(m): 12:54pm On Dec 04, 2014
What has happened to the 5 major types of programmes television houses boast of in the 80s and 90s? Someone said we're in the 21st century.
No wonder I didn't turn on the TV for a whole 2 weeks while on my annual leave in November/December, except for news by 8pm.

These tv programme contents are either non-existent again or polluted,
1. NEWS: bloody, non-investigative and full of political undertone and campaigns
2. EDUCATION: non-existent except for Nnenna & Friends that I stumbled on recently
3. SPORT:. no grassroot sports again. Foreign football matches are aired instead of broadcasting news. What sport do we do in Nigeria again sef?
4. ENTERTAINMENT: erotic films, Mexican films and local ones with adult content by 6pm when the whole family supposed to be watching educative and real entertainment like comedy ( papa Ajasco or Bill Cosby)
5. MUSIC: we all know what these musicians show case in their videos-not good for children.
For me, tv has lost its relevance and now a mere piece of decoration

1 Like

Re: Has Television Lost Its Relevance? by frankezi: 1:23pm On Dec 04, 2014
Nelsizzy:
What is the use of a TV wen i av a smart phone?

I think the use now is just to decorate our living rooms. There are home that one would pay a visit and realise that despite the family size and premium DSTV subscription everyone stays in their individual rooms reading gossiping blogging surfing the web etc yet corrupt minds find what they are looking for form other sources. I think its a thing of the mind sha.
Re: Has Television Lost Its Relevance? by skyhighweb(m): 2:20pm On Dec 04, 2014
AriDsexy:

Abi o,when the're stuffs like Jara,53extra,tinsel,clinic matters,Enews,etc.. tongue
lol
Re: Has Television Lost Its Relevance? by BaWoahGDP: 2:39pm On Dec 04, 2014
Well its a matter of two things. First we live in a world where fantasies overshadows reality so we opt for those things like violence, drugs, Sex, money, mansions, 6packs n figure 8s'. Secondly, people want to do what they want. The producers produce what they like, d audience watch what pleases them (which r usually obscene n vulgar by d way) etc. This is d drive for the downing of morals on Tv.
Re: Has Television Lost Its Relevance? by Bawss1(m): 3:59pm On Dec 04, 2014
All these people complaining that TV has lost its relevance should go and buy a DSTV decoder or Amazon Fire TV if you are in Lagos or Abuja where you can get decent internet access. smiley

Someone even said why get a 42" TV when you can buy a 5" smartphone. That's just cray! cheesy cheesy grin

For TV the hardware and the contents available are just as relevant as ever. There are news reports, music videos, series, documentaries, sporting events, movies and cartoon shows to appeal to almost everyone out there, you mustn't always watch reality shows or whatever it is that you guys are complaining about. The TV itself is the centerpiece of home entertainment, you can not only watch stuff on it but use it to communicate via Skype, play video games and even browse the web. A phone or tablet cannot match this experience even by half.

Stop complaining and buy a modern TV. grin wink cheesy

1 Like

Re: Has Television Lost Its Relevance? by Bawss1(m): 4:06pm On Dec 04, 2014
AcidosisMega:
When you lay your hands on a TV like this below with a full-HD ready decoder; you'll never stand to condemn a tv:

LG 65UB980T 65-Inch UHD 3D WebOs Smart TV + HDD With 6 UHD Movie
Price - ₦793,395

www./smart-tvs/

There were many good deals on Black Friday and Cyber Monday for TVs like that. Anyone who bought that TV recently from Jumia has just over spent.
Re: Has Television Lost Its Relevance? by dabossman(m): 4:55pm On Dec 04, 2014
I think the OP needs to be clear about what he is talking about. Are you referring to the TV set or television content? Because if it is content, then OP you are probably limited in your access to the kind of content you desire. Whatever kind of content you seek is out there in the bus loads. If you want pure, wholesome, inspirational content you will find it. If you want sex, gore, filth and the likes, you will find it. Across the globe, there is so much television content that you'll probably need three lifetimes to see it all. Maybe you should take a trip to MIPCOM, one of the biggest TV content markets that holds every year in Cannes, France. You go fear content.

That said, even most of those watching on other devices like smartphones, tablets and laptops are mainly watching content produced for television. You are only watching on a different device from the TV box. But like some guys said here, if you get a smart TV you will throw aside you small screen when you get home and enjoy your internet-enabled TV for your browsing, gaming and television content. You should watch football on a 55-84 inch 4K screen. The picture quality na die.

Television is far from dead bro. It is getting better.

1 Like

Re: Has Television Lost Its Relevance? by amofah1(m): 9:11pm On Dec 04, 2014
Op hw old r u? sadOp hw old r u?
Re: Has Television Lost Its Relevance? by Nobody: 5:03am On Dec 05, 2014
Who needs a television, when you can watch every damn thing on your laptop.
Re: Has Television Lost Its Relevance? by AcidosisMega: 2:44pm On Dec 05, 2014
Bawss1:

There were many good deals on Black Friday and Cyber Monday for TVs like that. Anyone who bought that TV recently from Jumia has just over spent.

Not this type sir. Jumia will never put this type on a black friday deal...

We also have some 41" @ N50k, and we have some @ N2million.
Re: Has Television Lost Its Relevance? by Bawss1(m): 2:55pm On Dec 05, 2014
^ The deals weren't on Jumia they were on Amazon and Target.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Tribunal Orders Multichoice To Pay 50% Tax Backlog Before Hearing Appeal / What's The Worst Movie You Have Watched So Far? / Pastor Ayo Orisejafor Stars In A New Nollywood Movie.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 40
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.