Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,781 members, 7,802,418 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 02:03 PM

Marriage With 80000 Salary Per Month? - Family (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Marriage With 80000 Salary Per Month? (51252 Views)

Jobless Husband Beats Pregnant Wife Over Failure To Remit Monthly Salary / His Wife Earns Four Times His Salary And Someone Must Resign / Marriage With A Member Of Your Family? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Marriage With 80000 Salary Per Month? by Nobody: 9:11am On Dec 04, 2014
chaircover:

You are right and I will be lying if I say that I havent seen cases like this and they expect other family members to look after their kids for them and they even take offence if they dont get what they want.

However the people I have in mind are the responsible, literate, career minded people. The ones starting off in their career or business and expect to move up with time and with hard work.

Yes@ the bolded. These are the only people sensible enough to work harder to improve their situation. These ones are excused. Some people give birth to children purposely for others to train.

3 Likes

Re: Marriage With 80000 Salary Per Month? by thorpido(m): 9:14am On Dec 04, 2014
Jahblessme:
Question is 80k a month,dont know why people are conjuring imaginary salary for the wife.
If she's not working nko?
Can someone draw up like living expenses say in a cheap state vs high end state?
N80k planning to marry a woman not working is a capital NO.

2 Likes

Re: Marriage With 80000 Salary Per Month? by PassingShot(m): 9:16am On Dec 04, 2014
Lets do this arithmetic:

Salaries (both) = 140k/month = 1.68M/year

Rent = 150,000
Feeding =290,000 per year (about 800 naira daily)
Transportation = 150,000 per year (500 daily for both, 25 days per month)
Clothing and other stuffs = 100,000 yearly (8,500 monthly)
Health care allowance = 60,000 per year (5,000 monthly)

Total so far = 150k+290k+150+100K = 750,000 NGN
750,000 + 10% mark up = 825,000

From 1.68M there is still a credit balance of about 855,000.

Am I missing something?

Even plus schooling of the first kid which doesn't necessarily have to be planned on this early income, there is still enough left to do that.

Sophyrocks, please put hole in the arithmetic above.

12 Likes

Re: Marriage With 80000 Salary Per Month? by Nobody: 9:19am On Dec 04, 2014
thorpido:
N80k(man)+N60k(wife) is N1.68m per year.
If rent is N150k per year,transport is N16k per month,for both of them(N192k per year).Food if they manage well will be about N70k per mth(N840k per year).
They will spend about N1.3m on their own expenditure.

Rent increases almost every year. How much the wife earns is negligible. Transport can be negligible and is according to distance from home to and fro. Food also is negligible and depends on the state/location, if food there is relatively cheap. Other expenses are there o. Clothing, toiletries, Healthcare and emergency expenses. then bring in a child. Ah. sorry i can't be convinced otherwise. Except one person brings up an additional source of income or gets a better paying job.

1 Like

Re: Marriage With 80000 Salary Per Month? by thorpido(m): 9:30am On Dec 04, 2014
Sophyrocks:

Rent increases almost every year. How much the wife earns is negligible. Transport can be negligible and is according to distance from home to and fro. Food also is negligible and depends on the state/location, if food there is relatively cheap. Other expenses are there o. Clothing, toiletries, Healthcare and emergency expenses. then bring in a child. Ah. sorry i can't be convinced otherwise. Except one person brings up an additional source of income or gets a better paying job.
Well I believe the group we are looking at is not the poor but a couple with moderate income and in a capacity to grow.Rent increases every year with other expenses.I believe this couple are also in a capacity to grow their income or rise on a salary scale.

1 Like

Re: Marriage With 80000 Salary Per Month? by ITbomb(m): 9:32am On Dec 04, 2014
Sophyrocks:

You see am now. School dey o. Transport dey o. Transport is according to distance and not everyone will live close to workplaces o. Pot of soup and stew isnt certain and food stuff need to be available. In short, you wont know when other expenses will begin to creep in from nowhere. Almost everyday, we spend money. My sister, incurring of debts is sure and very common.
I don't really know the kind of lifestyle you are living bro but the reality is that 80% of Nigerians are living on less than 80k a month and are having family. Maybe you were born and brought up in a family that leaves nothing to spare in ensuring their children have the best.
"you wont know when other expenses will begin to creep in from nowhere" just betrayed the kind of lifestyle you are living

80k per month with a working wife is the reality in most Nigerian homes. Family planning and prudent management of resources is the key.

Let me give you a scenario. An entry level graduate (on level 8 ) in a civil service is earning 50k and it will take him another 6 to 8 years to get to a level he could earn 80k plus. Do you think most of those civil servants you see with family are earning 200k a month?

28 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Marriage With 80000 Salary Per Month? by Nobody: 9:37am On Dec 04, 2014
thorpido:
Well I believe the group we are looking at is not the poor but a couple with moderate income and in a capacity to grow.Rent increases every year with other expenses.I believe this couple are also in a capacity to grow their income or rise on a salary scale.

This was why i said earlier that they will need extra sources of income. Its not enough o. No matter how much we calculate and stipulate here, all expenses in the home in real life are negligible. Only people who believe in growing and not in remaining stagnant incurring debts will be able scale through. But if they see a need to have additional sources of income, then its obvious a child cannot be brought into the family.
Re: Marriage With 80000 Salary Per Month? by Nobody: 9:37am On Dec 04, 2014
thorpido:

Rent doesnt always go up every year in all cases .. . rare, but it does happen.
If the rent doesnt go up and the salary increases/promotion at work, then the person is better off financially.
The bottom line is this . . .
If the couple have their head screwed on and know what they are doing, have the same goals and are in harmony with each other, then they should be OK on 140k

2 Likes

Re: Marriage With 80000 Salary Per Month? by ITbomb(m): 9:39am On Dec 04, 2014
PassingShot:
Lets do this arithmetic:

Rent = 150,000

Am I missing something?

Nice analysis except that you have missed the worst money eater of all time, Recharge cards.

This is the part most people don't budget for and keep wondering how their money is disappearing.
In some instances recharge card consumes more than feeding money if not control. (ie you make calls at impulse)

11 Likes

Re: Marriage With 80000 Salary Per Month? by Nobody: 9:41am On Dec 04, 2014
@sophyrocks, you can't expect such a family to provide their kids thesame kind of lifestyle dangote's kids get. Life is all about growing
Re: Marriage With 80000 Salary Per Month? by Nobody: 9:44am On Dec 04, 2014
ITbomb:

I don't really know the kind of lifestyle you are living bro but the reality is that 80% of Nigerians are living on less than 80k a month and are having family. Maybe you were born and brought up in a family that leaves nothing to spare in ensuring their children have the best.
"you wont know when other expenses will begin to creep in from nowhere" just betrayed the kind of lifestyle you are living

80k per month with a working wife is the reality in most Nigerian homes. Family planning and prudent management of resources is the key.

Let me give you a scenario. An entry level graduate (on level cool in a civil service is earning 50k and it will take him another 6 to 8 years to get to a level he could earn 80k plus. Do you think most of those civil servants you see with family are earning 200k a month?

And im telling you that every aspect in the home is negligible and dependent on many factors i and some commentators have mentioned if you go back to read the comments. You cannot be certain when it comes to expenses. Unexpected expenses that is no fault of anyone occurs. I still insist that the salary isnt enough and its only a matter of time before you start begging/borrowing. Have it in mind that we dnt know if the wife earns more or less here so we cannnot keep imagining her salary. Someone will have to come up with additional source of incomeor get a better paying job.

2 Likes

Re: Marriage With 80000 Salary Per Month? by Nobody: 9:46am On Dec 04, 2014
baLLoTBOxX:
@sophyrocks, you can't expect such a family to provide their kids thesame kind of lifestyle dangote's kids get. Life is all about growing

And i never said they should live a life of dangote. Re read my comments again.
Re: Marriage With 80000 Salary Per Month? by Nobody: 9:52am On Dec 04, 2014
Sophyrocks:

And im telling you that every aspect in the home is negligible and dependent on many factors i and some commentators have mentioned if you go back to read the comments. You cannot be certain when it comes to expenses. Unexpected expenses that is no fault of anyone occurs. I still insist that the salary isnt enough and its only a matter of time before you start begging/borrowing. Have it in mind that we dnt know if the wife earns more or less here so we cannnot keep imagining her salary. Someone will have to come up with additional source of incomeor get a better paying job.

My dear unexpected expenses happen to anyone and everyone
Even rich people suffer from financial knocks when unexpected expenses come along
Homeowners know that there are a lot of unexpected expenses that you have to deal with which tennants doent have to worry about.
Bill Cosby is being asked to pay $100million to the ladies that he molested. Even as a rich man, that is a very big unexpected expense
Some MP was landed with a £3million legal fee last week. That is a big unexpected expense
Richard Brandson lost a aircraft last month. That is a big unexpected expense in term of life and money.
Dangote looses trailers every week . . . .Trailers are not cheap and thats another unexpected expense.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Marriage With 80000 Salary Per Month? by FKBZ: 9:54am On Dec 04, 2014
Sophyrocks:

So just because a child brightens a home, you should just bring one into the world not minding if you can cater for that child? Do you know how much you spend to ensure your child is healthy? I want a breakdown on how a man earning 80k with a wife who earns less will manage with a child plus all other expenses in the home without one aspect or other suffering.
Lol as if u see a guy earning 80k that's want to marry u,u won't jump on that opportunity.
U always sound like an ITK.
Lol
Guess u r d own on ur profile pic,anyway that weave on needs to go.

9 Likes

Re: Marriage With 80000 Salary Per Month? by Nobody: 9:57am On Dec 04, 2014
FKBZ:

Lol as if u see a guy earning 80k that's want to marry u,u won't jump on that opportunity.
U always sound like an ITK.
Lol
Guess u r d own on ur profile pic,anyway that weave on needs to go.

If i marry him, must i bring in a child when our financial status cannot cater for him/her?

And what has my profile pic got to do with the topic? why dnt you have a pic? are you that Ug? Na ugly people dey curse well well for this Nairaland and make fun of others with pics. As for me being an ITK, Thank you o. I'm honoured. grin grin I guess na jealousy dey worry you and you talk like a stalker to notice my comments. Seems they annoy you a lot. Dnt worry. you will see more of it. grin

5 Likes

Re: Marriage With 80000 Salary Per Month? by phabulous88(m): 9:57am On Dec 04, 2014
PassingShot:
Lets do this arithmetic:
Rent = 150,000
Am I missing something?
Even plus schooling of the first kid which doesn't necessarily have to be planned on this early income, there is still enough left to do that.
Sophyrocks, please put hole in the arithmetic above.

Ha! Feeding, utility bills (PHCN, water, waste) FF&Es, generator, fuel, cooking gas, electronics... and some of these are recurring expenses o!

Nwanne it's not gonna be easy but it's possible with an understanding and prudent wife.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Marriage With 80000 Salary Per Month? by Nobody: 10:30am On Dec 04, 2014
phabulous88:

Ha! Feeding, utility bills (PHCN, water, waste) FF&Es, generator, fuel, cooking gas, electronics... and some of these are recurring expenses o!

Nwanne it's not gonna be easy but it's possible with an understanding and prudent wife.

Thank you jare. Not just a prudent wife but a couple that plans before bringing in a child. Remember, we dnt even know if the wife could be into some sort of business and business returns are negligible. Anyways, different strokes for different folks.
Re: Marriage With 80000 Salary Per Month? by PassingShot(m): 11:09am On Dec 04, 2014
ITbomb:

Nice analysis except that you have missed the worst money eater of all time, Recharge cards.

This is the part most people don't budget for and keep wondering how their money is disappearing.
In some instances recharge card consumes more than feeding money if not control. (ie you make calls at impulse)

There is still enough left for other sundry expenses. Thanks though.

1 Like

Re: Marriage With 80000 Salary Per Month? by PassingShot(m): 11:13am On Dec 04, 2014
phabulous88:

OK, thanks for those things I overlooked but I still know that I have about 850,000 NGN left from the I.68M naira that can take care of them.

Anything else?
Re: Marriage With 80000 Salary Per Month? by Nexxy007: 11:35am On Dec 04, 2014
Sophyrocks:

Thank you jare. Not just a prudent wife but a couple that plans before bringing in a child. Remember, we dnt even know if the wife could be into some sort of business and business returns are negligible. Anyways, different strokes for different folks.
what i dont get is your use of "negligible", seems to contradict the point u r making

3 Likes

Re: Marriage With 80000 Salary Per Month? by jmoore(m): 11:56am On Dec 04, 2014
Live within your means.

80k ain't too bad. What is the minimum wage in this country?
I know some married folks with kids who don't earn above 80k and they ain't begging.

10 Likes

Re: Marriage With 80000 Salary Per Month? by Nobody: 11:59am On Dec 04, 2014
Nexxy007:
what i dont get is your use of "negligible", seems to contradict the point u r making

O.k. maybe i didnt use the word properly. My bad. what i meant was the cost of taking care of transportation, feeding and other important aspects are not constant. They vary from state to state and depends on whether a couple live in the city or in a rural area. they change from time to time so we cannot stipulate here. The salary wont be enough to cover them all once a child comes in except they have done a lot of waiting and saving . It is also true if the wife is self employed and the business isnt as lucrative as it should to help cover the costs. Sometimes, you have to consider these things before bringing in a child.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Marriage With 80000 Salary Per Month? by Nexxy007: 12:07pm On Dec 04, 2014
Sophyrocks:

O.k. maybe i didnt use the word properly. My bad. what i meant was the cost of taking care of transportation, feeding and other important aspects are not constant. They vary from state to state and depends on whether a couple live in the city or in a rural area. they change from time to time so we cannot stipulate here. The salary wont be enough to cover them all once a child comes in except they have done a lot of waiting and saving . It is also true if the wife is self employed and the business isnt as lucrative as it should to help cover the costs. Sometimes, you have to consider these things before bringing in a child.
more like it.
Re: Marriage With 80000 Salary Per Month? by zemaye: 12:09pm On Dec 04, 2014
Op
It can be done
Take it from someone that has gone through that rough edge!
Thank God, for now cool
The mindset of the people involved matters a lot!
Effective planning and strategy too is key.

2 Likes

Re: Marriage With 80000 Salary Per Month? by zemaye: 12:16pm On Dec 04, 2014
ITbomb
True that
I agree with you on the recharge card stuff, issue is in naija here we hardly plan na spend as you go we dey.
My husband can spend double our feeding money on recharge card till I worked out a solution on that.
grin
And people wey want favour dey flash instead of calling na wa!
Mr. Zemaye go kuku call Chai! Ijebu me !!!

1 Like

Re: Marriage With 80000 Salary Per Month? by eightsin(m): 1:10pm On Dec 04, 2014
It's quite small but it can be achieved with great efforts.
Re: Marriage With 80000 Salary Per Month? by bellong: 1:56pm On Dec 04, 2014
thorpido:
if a man earns N80k per month and his wife earns N60k per month,is there anything wrong with having a baby if they are prudent?

The problem with most ladies and men is that they want to "belong". Raising a baby is not that expensive as taunted by many people. Aside the periodic diapers change, there is no other "high cost" expenses for the baby provided the parents are not concerned about other people's irrelevant opinions.

Medical science advise at least 6 month exclusive breastfeeding for a new born. One is exempted from buying formula, which may consume a better percentage of finance depending on how well the baby eats, for 6 months. After the 6 months gap, you can start giving the baby fruits and solid which are not expensive.

There are new baby clothes that are not over the top price. Go to Idumota in Lagos, if you live in Lagos. No need of buying expensive baby products for the baby if the resources are not available.

People do talk as if you need all the millions in the world to raise a kid and we are mostly unrealistic on this forum when it comes to finance as if it is everybody that luck smiles on.

Yes, 140k is enough to raise a baby for a prudent family.

20 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Marriage With 80000 Salary Per Month? by Kimoni: 2:47pm On Dec 04, 2014
I know people surviving on that amount and even less. Drivers working in Lagos earn about N40k on the average and you find a lot of matured and responsible ones with families amongst them. Most times , the wives are engaged in petty trading and I am not even sure they make up to N60k per month.

Yet they raise children you will be proud of anytime you see them. Agreed, occasionally they need a raise once in a while but then, who doesn't. It's all about cutting your coat according to your size.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Marriage With 80000 Salary Per Month? by DonTonero: 3:36pm On Dec 04, 2014
I wonder when Nairalanders will start answering questions based on the topic......its stated here a salary of 80k the wife is not inclusive so lets assume the wife is not working....from my own perspective its possible to settle down with that amount but it depends on the couples.if the wife is not the competitive type that will always measure up with other colleagues yes it can work for them if also they can minimize their expenditures and invest with their little saving...one thing we dont seems to get in life is that if you dont make a move you might not achieve anything.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Marriage With 80000 Salary Per Month? by 2goodbobo(m): 5:05pm On Dec 04, 2014
Life at times is a slow process and sometimes we have to start somewhere and not waiting for the right time bro.
I married when i was earning 50k. I dont know how i did but i pulled through bro. When you take that leap of faith
and marry, God somehow make a way where there seems to be none. to be frank with you i think there is no benchmark as to the lowest amount or highest amount you must have before you get married.

So how can one reconcile reach Men that got married when they were earning six figures and all of a sudden they
lost all the affluence they had? This is my humble submission and oppinion. wink

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Marriage With 80000 Salary Per Month? by jashar(f): 5:35pm On Dec 04, 2014
You are wise.
ITbomb:

I beg to disagree, a man earning 80k and a working wife should have a child (I don't mean producing each year), nothing brighten a home than a healthy child, it makes the couple eager to go back home after hustle. Another thing I hate is old age children, imagine a 50 years man still dropping his kids in Nursery school when you he should be arguing with his first son about his career choice cool

Spending on a child is relative, you don't send your child to a 300k per term school when there are other quality yet affordable school around, you don't make crunchies your child's lunch venue when a pot of soup can serve the family

1 Like

Re: Marriage With 80000 Salary Per Month? by veave(f): 10:34am On Dec 05, 2014
ITbomb:

I beg to disagree, a man earning 80k and a working wife should have a child (I don't mean producing each year), nothing brighten a home than a healthy child, it makes the couple eager to go back home after hustle. Another thing I hate is old age children, imagine a 50 years man still dropping his kids in Nursery school when you he should be arguing with his first son about his career choice cool

Spending on a child is relative, you don't send your child to a 300k per term school when there are other quality yet affordable school around, you don't make crunchies your child's lunch venue when a pot of soup can serve the family

Word!

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply)

Newly-Wedded Lady Dies Hours After Giving Birth To A Bouncing Baby. Photos / Man Pictured Breastfeeding His Newborn Baby. Is This Healthy? / My Wife Is Using Excuses To Abandon Me

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 109
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.