Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,149 members, 7,807,486 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 02:07 PM

Cover Letter Help - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Cover Letter Help (1892 Views)

Funny Cover Letter Has Gone Viral On Wall Street / How To Write A Cover Letter / Cover Letter Or Motivation Letter? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Cover Letter Help by Hotstepper(f): 6:14pm On Aug 10, 2006
Hello everyone,

I am really in trouble ohhhh. I am trying to draft a cover letter to go with my CV. I am yet to graduate next year spring but I want to start sending my CV to organizations in Nigeria asking them if I can volunteer in their org. for 4-6 months after ma graduation so like to start sept. 07. I want to do this in Nigeria to get experience and exposure before working. meanwhile, while am volunteering, I will be giving away my CV as in looking for a job. Now, I have drafted something but I need help with proof reading and editing, add and remove something if you wish. English is not ma thing. Thanks people. Here is my version (nobody should laugh)

I am currently a final year student of Political Science at York University, Toronto Canada who is extremely interested in volunteering for your organization come September 2007.  I excel in academics particularly in art courses.

I am confident and believe that with my education and experience, I can apply my skills and knowledge in your organization thereby gaining experience. Apart from academics, I am an active member of my school community and my own community. I have been on sit as the secretary of Nigerian Students’ Association (NSA) at York University for two consecutive years. I am a member of numerous organizations within school and my community like Albion Boys and Girls Club, York University Black Students’ Alliance (YUBSA), International Development Studies (IDS) and Igbo Youth Association, Toronto, Canada. I am currently a Student Ambassador at my school.

Furthermore, in respect to my volunteering experience, I was named the Volunteer of the year in 2002 at Heritage Skills Development Centre (HSDC) a Non- Governmental Organization whose mandate is helping new immigrants especially women and At-Risk youths for my hard work. Because of my hard work and dedication with Heritage Skills Development Centre, I have worked there for five years now during my summer break. I am an active volunteer student at my school where I have volunteered at events like Multicultural, March Gala, to mention a few. In high school, I volunteered by tutoring grade 10 and 11 Math and English classes to non speaking English students by helping them with their homework.

Though I am currently a few months away from being a graduate, I am confident in the fact that my credentials and abilities make me a strong candidate to volunteer for a reputable organization like yours.

For further information, please contact me at (ma phone number) or (e-mail). I look forward to hearing from you. Thank you

Yours Truly
My name
Re: Cover Letter Help by mochafella(m): 7:50pm On Aug 10, 2006
Dear bla bla,

I am currently a final year student of Political Science at York University, Toronto Canada who is extremely interested in volunteering for your organization come September 2007 and I do possess excellent academic and volunteering skills as described in the attached C.V./Resumechoose one depending on the target audience.

I currently volunteer at the Heritage Skills Development Centre (HSDC) in city, Canada, an NGO whose mandate is helping new immigrants especially women and At-Risk youths. I have volunteered there for the last five summers and was named the Volunteer of the year in 2002. I am also an active volunteer student at my school partaking in the organization of events like the Multicultural March Gala and the one more event necesary , to mention a few. In high school, I was a volunteer tutor for grade 10 and 11 you might want to convert "grade" to the naija equivalent Math and English classes helping non English-speaking students with their homework is that legal?.

I am an active member of my school community and the Nigerian/Igbo choose one depending on the target audience community. I have been secretary of Nigerian Students’ Association (NSA) at York University for two consecutive years from , date till date, I am a member of numerous organizations such as the Albion Boys and Girls Club, York University Black Students’ Alliance (YUBSA), International Development Studies (IDS) and Igbo Youth Association, Toronto, Canada. I am also currently a Student Ambassador at my school.

Though I am currently a few months away from graduation, I am confident that my credentials and skills would make me a strong volunteer and asset to your organization. I believe that my education and experience, will be applicable within your organization and result in a mutually beneficial relationship.

I can be reached at (ma phone number) or (e-mail). I look forward to further discussions with you. Thank you.

Yours Truly
My name

You might want to mention that you have lived in Nigeria especially if its in the same city where the organization is.
Re: Cover Letter Help by Hotstepper(f): 8:01pm On Aug 10, 2006
@mochafella, Thank you so much, I really appreciate it
Re: Cover Letter Help by LoverBwoy(m): 2:17am On Aug 16, 2006
is your target an Ibo company or a Nigerian company? I will suggest you put Nigeria in the place of "Ibo", most companies will like someone that can mingle with everybody not just a particular tribe. . . for some weird reason a person reading this might think after several years "abroad" you still continued with the Nigerian tribal issue.

Most of the description you gave on the cover letter are already on the C.V, i think you should (also)include things you have learned (gained) from each experience.
Re: Cover Letter Help by Hotstepper(f): 4:51pm On Aug 16, 2006
hmm da IGBO is just an association am a member datz all, I can't put Nigeria cuz it is not, u can also see where i put Nigeria Students' Association, 10x and I will add what I learnt tongue
Re: Cover Letter Help by LoverBwoy(m): 10:45pm On Aug 16, 2006
kool

I was just thinking , why dont u put forward what role or section of the company you will like/prefer to work in.
I think some people want "returnees" but they have to think of where to put them, so you can be a bit forward as to what role you will enjoy doing or where you will like to be so that you can develop more and also use your experience so it will be a win-win situation, you dont want them to put you in charge of staff kids do you wink
Re: Cover Letter Help by Hotstepper(f): 12:50am On Aug 17, 2006
nanana.you are funny, 10x, I know of being forward, when I know of a company I want, I will end put the position I did like b4 sending it, I have that in mind but thanks for da advice to.
Re: Cover Letter Help by tafari(m): 12:59am On Aug 17, 2006
@hotstepper, why NGO to work for? 2007 election is at the corner. wouldnt u mind to be a campaign administrator? grin smiley

(1) (Reply)

Urgent Advice Needed On Career Choice, University And Course. / Masters In Abu Or Ui / How Do I Enter A Lift

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 33
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.