Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,321 members, 7,780,798 topics. Date: Thursday, 28 March 2024 at 10:33 PM

Distraction ...a Story - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Distraction ...a Story (7957 Views)

Class Clash- A story about love and family background/status / The University Village - A Story / OTD (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Distraction ...a Story by Theeldah(f): 8:18am On Dec 04, 2014
Good day to you all, I would start by saying I have always admired writers on Nairaland right from the first day I encountered this forum. The way by which they meticulously arrange their stories,spicing it with suspence,intrigue,action and romance has literally held me spell bound,wondering when I would actually get to that level. I must confess, am no writer, just someone who is crazy about stories. So on that note,I decided to try doing my own little thing. Like I said I am no writer so expect some little errors here and there, am sure with your comments, advice and critics, we will surely get there, so sit back and enjoy.
Re: Distraction ...a Story by Eillo(m): 8:25am On Dec 04, 2014
let me be your first caller! Go ahead and do your thing.
Waiting...
Re: Distraction ...a Story by Theeldah(f): 8:47am On Dec 04, 2014
'Mom please! , am not a child anymore ', she thought. Her mom kept on ranting on how much time she spends on her phone daily, she no longer reads or takes her studies seriously. She looked at her daughter, this wasn't the child she had given birth to, No, something was wrong somewhere. She recalled years back, when her daughter was always either reading her textbooks or hooked on to a new storybook she had borrowed from a schoolmate. She had been the center of her joy, of course apart from her lazy habit of always skipping her chores or bringing up excuses on why she shouldn't wash the dishes or sweep the rooms, that too was something to admire. She recalled when she had always walked to the podium on every prize giving day to make a speech on why parents should encourage their children to read. Why wouldn't she be selected for that honourable position, when she was the proud mother of the little girl who would always beat her classmates hands down by coming first every term for the past five years. She recalled how her daughter was made sports captain of the whole school at the age of 5, then in nursery three, when she beat her seniors in primary then in all sports activities, she recalled always receiving awards of different kinds just because of this her daughter, also she thought of how many mothers had secretly n openly wished of how the would want their daughters to be like hers and also enquired some tips on how to train their daughters, then she would just laugh and shrug it off as 'Gods gift'. The same girl who had acquired all those feats at a very tender age, is the same person who she pratically begged to even go to school at times. Something was wrong with her daughter, Precious, and she was going to deal with it before it ruins her daughter and also her family, or so she thought.
Re: Distraction ...a Story by aneeyminaj(f): 10:32am On Dec 04, 2014
iya oniguguru!!!whr diz woman go sef?anyway ama put my scarf for front sit n run back om go bring my homemade porpcorn .theeldah welldone jawe
Re: Distraction ...a Story by stuff46(m): 11:24am On Dec 04, 2014
1st sentence captivated me, about her usinq phone often.
I would love to get more about her life.

Siqninq in
Re: Distraction ...a Story by Theeldah(f): 11:49am On Dec 04, 2014
Precious Anthony is the 2nd daughter of the three girls born to Mr and Mrs James Anthony. The Anthony's are a fairly well to do family striving in the bubbling city of Portharcourt.
Mr James Anthony hails from kolokuma/opokuma local government area of Bayelsa State, one of the oil dripping states in Nigeria, West Africa. He is a well built man, tall and chubby. He is dark in complexion and although he is a very jovial person , he is also a very good disciplinarian, he ought to be one, growing with a stunt military man for a father and a step mother who would naturally win the role of cinderella's step mother in the famous children tale 'cinderella'.
His wife who happens to be the opposite, is a quiet reserved woman, she's of average height, and dark in complexion. Although with age telling on her side, anyone who sees her would surely know that she was a beauty queen during her youth, little wonder how all her girls followed suit.
The eldest amongst the girls, Loveth Anthony who is 19years old, is an undergraduate at the Niger Delta University, Wilberforce Island of Bayelsa state, studying computer science and in her second year precisely. She took her mother's quiet nature, though someone who grew rapidly during her childhood days, ended up being petite in nature. Regardless of her parents complexion , she inherited the light skin of her paternal grandfather. Loveth happens to be the hardworking and dilligent daughter and also Mrs Anthony's favourite as the year went by.
Precious, the angel-turned-demon of the family is 15 years old and presently in senior secondary One of Beautiful steps International Schools, in the garden city of Portharcourt. Although the school is not one of those high -classed schools that Precious had always dreamt of attending, it was well to do and she had no choice but to attend. Precious is very dark in complexion, petite and beautiful. Her beauty was indeed something to admire, indeed she took after her mother because she was her exact replica. Precious was a girl of many talents...she was good in theatre, crafts, sports and others. She was a good dancer, actress,presenter, newscaster, atleast in school.
Deborah, the last born of the family was 11 years old, she was the troublesome one and was always trailing along after Precious (something precious detests alot) because she couldn't even cross the gate without hearing a 'mummy, Precious is leaving the house' and would always want to follow . She happened to be the only one who took after her father because at 11 she was already measuring up to Precious and Loveth in height. She was nicknamed the 'agbani'..( nickname for tall, slim and beautiful ladies) , she was not too dark in complexition and was a replica of the father in appearance, little wonder why she was his 'pet'.
Welcome to the world of the Anthony's......What happened next?....what caused the DISTRACTION? and who fell for it?....want to find out? .... Sit back, get your popcorns and mats, buckle your seatbelts and enjoy the ride
Update coming later in the day...Thanks
Re: Distraction ...a Story by Theeldah(f): 3:18pm On Dec 04, 2014
CHAPTER ONE

'Precious are you crazy?', Dorcas eyes spit fire as she spoke, 'please tell me you're joking about attending that party', she spoke with fear written all over her face. Precious saw the look and burst into laughter, Dorcas just stared at her surprised. 'Of course am going. She replied in between the laughter. 'Peter said I should come and besides I see no harm in attending, its just a party isn't it?, what could possibly happen?'. She stared at her friend, she wasn't laughing anymore, this seemed serious, she thought. ' Did you just ask me that stupid question? , eh, yeye girl, what could possibly happen at the after grad party of Royalties Academy? , for crying out loud, the school is known for harboring the most notorious students in this area and you, Precious, is no stranger to that. What if something happens to you? eh?, what if you get raped or even killed?, have you thought about all that?.
They bell was rung, signifying the end of their lunch breaks. Precious glanced at her wristwatch, "11:57". 'Nawah for this prefects sef o, time never reach nah, e still remain 3 minutes'. Precious complained, still looking at her wristwatch.
'Leave them, make dem shine, na their turn, our own go soon reach. When i'm made prefect ehn, i will make sure recess is shifted from 30 minutes to 1 hour, i swear to God'. Dorcas retorted standing up from the bench they had been sitting at the back of their school and wiped her skirt with her white handkerchief. That was their favorite spot during break time.
They both met when Dorcas was transferred to the school, then Precious was in Jss3. Dorcas was placed in the care of Precious since they had a striking resemblance. They looked so much alike that at first, Precious who had always wanted a twin to the extent that she even prayed secretely that her twin should have been misplaced, switched or even sold at birth, thought she had found her twin. If not for their tribal differences, Precious who was from Bayelsa state and Dorcas from Kwara state. Since then the both of them had done virtually everything together. Precious would go to Dorcas house to make her hair and the mother of Dorcas would make them the same style of hair. They usually brought food from home and ate together, except Precious who never tasted Dorcas food for one day because Deborah would report her to their mother who would in turn, skin her alive from eating food prepared by a stranger.
They heard noises, it was Mr Richards, their Mathematics teacher. He wanted to ease himself and decided to do it at the back of the school, since it is close to the staff office. He did his thing not noticing the two girls who were trying their best not to laugh out loud at the sight of their teacher's organ.
When he waa done he zipped his fly and hurriedly tucked in his hirt properly before leaving, unaware of the two guests that had just witnessed his act.
As soon as he was out sight, the two girls burst into a loud laughter, forgetting that recess was over. A loud voice commanded them to go in to their classes for the break was over.
' Dorcas ,thats Senior Boma, let us go jhoor, i dont want any trouble today o', Precious said, trying to remove a piece of paper from her school shoe and re-doing the laces.
Make them free person jhoor, haba, na by force to learn sef', Dorcas spat out sitting down on the bench, it was obvious she had no plans of going to class.
' If you dont want to go, am going eh, I really want to understand this topic today, thanks to you and Justice I could not concentrate in the last mathematics class and I missed the foundation if that topic. I really want to come out first this term. Am tired of my mum whining about me coming out 2nd position in class ever since I entered secondary school.'
'Stop acting as if it's my fault, are they not the ones that got you a phone at age 11? , Abi, Am I the one that opened 2go account for you?, no blame your failure for my head o. When you are supposed to be studying you're either 2going or texting in class and even at home. How will Ngozi not come out first position, its now you want to claim serious student, abeg sit down jhoor make we continue our gist '.
'May God deliver you'. she said as she spread her handkerchief on the bench and sat down on it.
' Ehen, what were we talking about again sef?'.
'Peter's party'. Precious replied non chalantly, trying to wipe off some dirt off her skirt '.
'Precious, if you love your life, dont attend that party, I beg you, u remember what I told you about my neighbor who was brutally gang raped at such a party, even though you're annoying, I wouldn't want such a thing to happen to you.'
'Quit worrying about me, am a big girl and I can take care of myself. I've always heard people talk about this after graduation party of a thing and I heard its a lot of fun, this is my first opportunity to attend one and am not ready to miss it for anything in the world. Besides 50% of the guys hosting it are my 2go friends and they are nice guys, they aren't notorious a bit, also this is my chance to spend quality time with Daniel, who knows? , he might even ask me out and I hope to get a kiss from him. If you dont want to follow me, no problem, I will go alone, i've already worked out the lie to tell them at home, you know on friday is our prayer meeting, so I will simply tell them am going to church, I should be home before 9, so Dorcas no come use your jazz Spoil my blues abeg'. She concluded with a big grin on her face, which faded at the voice they heard behind them.
'Dorcas Matthew and Precious Anthony, both of you to my office, NOW! '.
The two girls swirled around in fright to see their principal standing behind them.
Re: Distraction ...a Story by Theeldah(f): 1:19am On Dec 05, 2014
'Lets share the grace'
'Our father, who art in heaven,
hallowed be thy name, thy kingdom come,
thy will be done on earth, as it was in heaven,
give us this day, our daily bread,
and forgive us our trespasses , as we forgive those who trespass against us,
and lead us not into temptation,
but deliver us from all evil,
for thine is the kingdom, the power and the glory, forever, Amen '. we all chorused.
It was monday morning and the devotion was usually long, because dad was in charge. It usually took about 30 -45 minutes, whereas, If i were to be in charge, we would be sharing the grace in less than 15 minutes.
I said my greetings and practically dragged myself to the room which I and deborah shared. It is a large room with a medium sized bed in the middle, a cupboard where we kept our books and other stuffs, a wardrobe for clothes and boxes and a drawer for underwears. It wasn't the kind of room Precious always wanted, nothing ever is. My mind kept replaying the drama that took place at the principal's office on friday after recess.
' Both of you, in my office, now!'. she said with a note of finality and turned her back on us motioning on us to follow her. I glanced at Dorcas and almost burst into a loud laugh at the look she was wearing. That was one thing I disliked about her, very emotional, unlike I was. On the outside, Dorcas was this tough girl, while on the inside, she was just a weakling who would break down and cry at the slightest opportunity . I took her hand in mine and squeezed it, she looked up at me and I gave her the angry look warning her not to blow our cover, I smiled at her reassuringly and squeezed her hand again, with the aim to hurt this time. When she couldn't take it anymore she winced in pain and when our eyes met, we burst into laughter forgetting who was standing right in front of us.
' Now girls', she said turning slowly yet meticulously, 'what's funny?', . We shot a quick look at each other and Dorcas gave me the go ahead. Why wouldn't she? , in times like this I came up with the fastest and smartest lies to cover up, I always had something to say .
' Nothing ma', I only tripped over my shoe lace and was about to fall, It was funny so I and Dorcas simply laughed it off'. I lied, avoiding her eyes like a plague. She was wearing that fake smile that could make any robber or thief confess to his or crimes without even being asked. We had already gotten to her office at that time and waited for her to go in, have her seat and then, invite us in.
Her office was indeed a fear and dread to every student in that school. Being summoned into that office meant you have committed a grievous offence, imagine our fear when she mentioned 'her office '. The least punishment you could pray for after being into that office was a Two- week suspension. Although that principle never applied to I and Dorcas because we were often there once or twice a week and always got out without even a scold, because we always knew how to bend the stories to our favour and we always got away with it.
Mrs Brown is a fair complexioned lady who happens to be in her mid forties. Mrs Brown who looks far older than her age always had her spectacles on, unless when debating on a very important or urgent matter. Even with age telling on her side, she was a no-nonense woman and was well known, respected and feared for that amongst the students and teachers alike, of course, all except Precious and Dorcas.
' Now young ladies, can you both, or preferably one person tell ne what you both were doing behind the school, 16 minutes after the bell signifying the end of recess had been rung, and Mr Richards , your mathematics teacher had already begun his teaching in your class'?, she asked, lowering her glasses to get a better view of the two girls sitting in front of her. I cast a knowing look at Dorcas . So the principal hadnt overheard what we were talking about, she thought to herself and winked at Dorcas who gave her the go ahead look.This was easier than I thought. she said to herself. She winked at Dorcas and then turned to face the principal
' Well ma, we are deeply sorry for staying outside the school when classes were going on, but it was due to a matter of urgency which couldn't be overlooked without being adequately attended to.'. She shot her aging eyes at Precious and over to Dorcas who was about to explode with excitement with how the whole thing was working.
' And what would that issue be?, to command such urgency as to both of you staying away from class'.
' Dorcas saw her first period today!', I didn't know when I said that and tried comporting myself to hide the guilt and worry in my eyes. I managed to look over to Dorcas who gave me the 'Were doomed' look.
' So you mean to tell me that Dorcas who is already fifteen years old, saw her menarche today? ', she replied with this look of suspicion written all over I face, Dorcas nearly went red with embarassment at the principal's outburst.I tried avoiding her eyes more than ever, still maintaining the look of confidence on my face to avoid any suspicions.
'Yes ma', I replied almost immediately.
' I recall you coming into my office sometime last year, saying that Dorcas had just started seeing her period , and you needed some sanitary towels, so how come she started seeing it today too?', she asked, smiling like someone who had just caught a thief right in the act. That's it! I thought, the cat is out of the bag, I tried ransacking my brain to think of a better way of covering up the lie I had just told.
' You must have been quite mistaken ma', I replied with utmost confidence. ' I agree coming here to ask for sanitary towels, but that was for myself and not for Dorcas. She started seeing hers just today'. I made sure to emphasize on the "today " for better understanding and secretely prayed for this old woman's memory to betray her. This wasn't the right time to get into any scandal of some sort. The exams were only few days away and my first party too was just a few weeks away so I needed to be in everyone's good book, most especially the one belonging to the old lady sitting in front of me, to avoid any suspicions.
'Dorcas. how are you feeling now?', she asked, trying to act all caring. I turned towards Dorcas direction and silently prayed for her not to ruin everything.
'Am fine ma, although I feel weird, thanks to Precious here, am feeling much better. Luckily for me, Precious happened to be seeing hers too, so she came with extra pads and gave me one. She was telling me how to comport myself because I was having cramps and couldn't go into class when you met us at the backyard'.
I stared at Dorcas, she was such a drama queen, although she had acquired most of her skills from me, she was still a good actress judging from how moody her countenance changed the moment she was called upon. We were the most adorable angels on the outside, but on the inside, you would not believe that fifteen year olds could do all we had done. I winked at her n gave a thumbs up before turning to the principal who seemed to be digesting the whole story well.
' you may go now'. We practically jumped up from our seats and were about dashing out the office when she stopped us.
'precious '?,
Ugrhhhhh, why me?... I moaned on the inside.
'yes ma'am,'? I replied with a cute and innocent smile, wondering what the problem would be this time.
' Kindly take Dorcas to the sick bay, and tell the nurses that I instructed that she stay on rest till the end of school, today. Also she should be given some pain killers to ease her cramps, you should stay with her too, Okay?'.
'yes ma'. I tried my best not to scream out loud. Not only had we been set free but granted 3 free periods of fun, gist and rest.
How cool!!!.

Monday mornings were always a bore at school. She wondered how it would be like today, but had no intentions in finding out.
' Precious?, what are you still doing in bed by this time, your bus should be here any moment from now'. Her mum shouted from the kitchen.
' Mummy, Mummy, my stomach oh, ahhh, it hurts.'.
'precious! , you're not the only child I gave birth to o, so you will not kill me. Eat, you will not eat, until you developed ulcer, take drugs, No! , you better get up from that bed and go and freshen up for school o, your trick wont work today.'
There was a long horn from outside the gate. Her school bus was here. but she was still in bed, so there was no way she could make it to school that day.
'Finally!, Mission Accomplished! , she smiled with a big grin on her face and sank under her blanket.

More updates coming later, please drop your comments and views on the story as it would go a long way. Thanks
Re: Distraction ...a Story by Seanixking: 6:07am On Dec 05, 2014
Nice story...waiting to see the end of this Crafty girlz...Preciouz and Dorcaz.
Update regulary plz.
Re: Distraction ...a Story by stuff46(m): 6:45am On Dec 05, 2014
grin precious remind me of those days in school.
You would'nt want to hear the story buh ride on bro. Its really a distraction here
Re: Distraction ...a Story by Theeldah(f): 7:13am On Dec 05, 2014
Good morning everyone, updates coming before 12 noon, pls bear With me
Re: Distraction ...a Story by Theeldah(f): 10:19pm On Mar 09, 2016
Okay everyone , i guess i took a long ride away from this forum due to reasons best known to me but am glad to inform each and everyone of you that am back for real and am going nowhere till i complete this story.
For those of you who are just joining us,,,welcome on board as we unravel the mystery behind THE DISTRACTION
Re: Distraction ...a Story by Theeldah(f): 10:33pm On Mar 09, 2016
Chapter Two
He did it again. How dare he?, how dare him raise his filthy hands on him once more? He couldnt just let it slide this time . He had endured enough.
Admidst tears and pleadings from his mother he retaliated and punched the man right in the face, too swift was his action before he realised what he had done. With fear all over his body he ran out of the house without a destination, 'anywhere except here' he thought. He quickened his pace on getting towards the gate and broke into a run which scared the gateman from his duty post: Sunny who could even be teriified by the sound of a broken plate or bottle dared not stand when he saw his young boss racing out of the house with such fright. It was not until minutes later that he realised he had lostt his footwear in the process of 'looking for safety'. He strolled back into the compound still unsure of the authenticity of his safety in that same compound he had run away from. While bolting the gates which he had left ajar during the process of his escape he could only wonder what had caused his young boss to run in such a manner. Returning to his quarters he realised the Indomie instant noodles which he was cooking prior to his 'adventure' had been burnt beyond consumption.
'Thunder fire you, daniel', he muttered under his breath.
Re: Distraction ...a Story by Theeldah(f): 11:34pm On Mar 09, 2016
He was the envy of his friends and everyone around him. At 17 he had all he could ever wish for: money, fame, girls, good looks, brains.... All except one: Fatherly love. All his life all he had ever yearned and craved for was the love of a father, someone he could do all manly stuff with, go out with; chat and have fun with..someone to call him :Son.
Growing up had been pretty awful for him without his father. Not like his father was late or they lived apart but he had never been there for him all his life: not like he was busy or occupied with work but simply because he hated the boy and didnt try to hide it. Although he made sure the boy lacked nothing that money could afford afterall that was his only 'forced' obligation towards the kid. Despite all this, his mum tried to raise him the best way she could, not witholding any form of affection for him. She tried as much as possible to make him comfortable at all times so as to fill in the vacuum the absence of a father created in the life of her son. Although he tried to portray the image of a well loved; responsible and lavishly spoilt child, deep within his soul he longed for the presence of a father -figure, something his mother could not offer no matter how hard she tried. He couldnt help but wonder the grievous offence he or his mother could have committed to have quenched the love of a father for his son or that of a husband to his wife which he married legally and traditionally. Sometimes he would just stare at the wedding photo of his parents that hung on the walls of their sitting room and wonder if the same man grinning from ear to ear was indeed the father he had grown up to know.
His father was rarely home and even when he was would hardly communicate with his family. Sometimes the boy would wonder if the father was aware of the fact that they existed. The only time he acknowledged them was when he wanted to satisfy his manly lusts which always ended in the battering and torturing of his mother. He grew up watching his father abuse his mother occasionally and it hurt him because there was nothing he could do about it, he was just a 17 year old High schooler who aside the wealth and care of his father could not feed or take care of himself , let alone his mother.
Daniel although slightly tall for his age was the exact replica of His father. He was fair in complexion with a body build of an athlete. Truth be told Daniel was a handsome young man with features that even made older women drool over him. Daniel tried as much as possible to keep his distance from girls because he felt they were too precious to toyed with, he felt he needed time to get to know and understand them more so as not to end up as his father: he hardly spoke to females unless when necessary: something that attracted girls the more. They even went as far as fighting over him in school; his neighbourhood and in church. No one knew his real reason for staying away from girls except his bestfriend Timothy. Some even branded him as gay.
One would think after witnessing the torture his mother suffered in the hands of his cruel father; that Daniel would grow up harboring hatred for his father. He wished he could but truth be told he was still his father and he tried to understand him and his reasons for his actions although finding none until that very day.It had become a routine to hear his mother beg and cry anytime they were performing their marital obligations to each other. What kind of man uses se.x as a means of punishing his wife? Or what kind of man derives pleasure in the cries and pain of someone he loved and married?, what man?.
That very day he was listening to songs from his ipod with his earphones; something he uses as a shield against his mother's cries when the most dramatic thing happened. Before his very eyes, his father was pulling his naked mother down the stairs by her hair and abusing her while she was screaming frantically and in agony. Not knowing whether to rush inside and get something to cover his mother with or rush over to his father and release her from his grip, he was shocked to the bones as he swiftly turned around to avoid staring at the unclothedness of his own mother, he opted for the latter and rushed over to his father trying to free his grip on his mum. Fueled with rage his father pushed his mum onto the floor and slapped him hard across the face. Daniel felt all the love for his father turn to rage as he hit the man he called father hard on the nose admidst tears and pleas from his mother who was shaking on the cold hard floor. Without waiting to see his father's reaction he stormed out of the house. He was angry, bitter and sorry all at the same time. Angry at his father; bitter at his actions and sorry for his mother. He needed to clear his head before he went mad and only one thing could give him that satisfaction::::WEED and he knew just where to find it.
Re: Distraction ...a Story by Theeldah(f): 11:41pm On Mar 09, 2016
The activeness of this thread and comments will determine if i should continue or not.....humble criticisms are always welcome.... Lets all mk this work....thanks
Re: Distraction ...a Story by Theeldah(f): 9:47am On Mar 10, 2016
She felt a buzz in her school bag. Damn!, she hadnt switched her phone off, she quickly brought out the phone ; a black nokia c2 which was bought for her by her grandfather when she was 13. It happened to be her first camera phone and the longest she had used. One would think that with the great attachment she had with her phone it would make her overprotective of it but the reverse was the case, although this particular one had lasted the longest she had forgotten it in taxi's ,class and with people countless times. This was her 8th phone in a period of four years.
She had almost pressed the switch off button when she saw who the message was from......Daniel
she just couldnt ignore it and she quickly scrolled through her messenger anxious to see the contents of the message.
'Hello sweetheart'; the message read, she smiled and almost leaped up but held herself as she was in class. She looked at the time, it was 11:01, 29 minutes to breaktime but she realised it was already daniel's break period because at his school the recess lasted for an hour 11 till 12. She smiled at the thought that he had not even bothered to have lunch before texting her, he had missed her that much. She wanted to inform him that she was in class and would chat with him during recess but the next message she received from him flushed that thought away:
'i know you're in class but i missed you too much, i cant even eat, i really need to hear your voice my love'.
That was it, she was leaving class. This was the mathematics period and she had a lot to cover up; she had missed his class on friday and yesterday that she skipped school he had introduced a fresh topic. She always loved paying attention during the first day of a new topic as it helped her grasp what the topic was all about; especially in mathematics as all the examples was clear and the formulars introduced. She had missed a whole topic and here she was struggling with this new one.
She wasn't like this, she had never struggled in any subject before; not even when she entered secondary school and was introduced to new subjects. Although in her junior secondary school she had aced all her subjects including science and art she had always wanted to be an engineer from her primary school days. She loved and knew art naturally and that was why it wasnt difficult for her, but now she was in her senior secondary school and it was time she made a choice, either art or science, something that had undisputably been science was now becoming quite a big decision to make. She knew she was failing because she had issues paying attention in class. She was in ss1 and it was the best time to grasp the basics of all her science subjects but instead she chose to distract herself with her phone by 2going and being on facebook or she chose to distract someone else by playing games; gisting and playing truance during lessons. This was among the many reasons why students were not allowed to bring phones to school but many students including precious were above such laws.
She was presently torn in between staying in class and going out to talk to daniel. Daniel wasnt exactly her boyfriend but her crush which she met on 2go 3 weeks ago. They had begun chatting and she had grown to like him even to the extent of crushing on him, she felt he liked her too because he had been more intimate with her during their chats and had even been calling and texting her directly. Her phone had been seized few weeks ago and she had missed him terribly. It had only been given to her yesterday but she had not been able to log in due to insufficient airtime. She opted for the latter and was thinking of what lie to give to her teacher for her to be excused when she felt a tap on her shoulder. She turned to look at her classmate to enquire why he had tapped her only for him to point to the front of the class, she turned her head to see her Math Teacher pointing at her.....
Re: Distraction ...a Story by mojysiola(f): 10:54am On Mar 10, 2016
Interesting write up. Kudos to you. Waiting for the next chapters
Re: Distraction ...a Story by Theeldah(f): 2:41pm On Mar 10, 2016
mojysiola:
Interesting write up. Kudos to you. Waiting for the next chapters
thanks alot update coming soon
Re: Distraction ...a Story by Theeldah(f): 4:00pm On Mar 10, 2016
'Stand up young lady', he spoke softly, i sat still on my seat, still unsure of who Mr Richards was pointing at.
'My friend would you stand up', he thundered this time. Certain that i was the one he had been referring to i stood up immediately, of course not before switching of my phone. I knew i was in for it this time. My phone was seized when the chemistry teacher saw me texting during a science practical and had reported it directly to my parents, i had had to endure two tormenting weeks without my phone. Thats what you get when your teacher had personal relationship with your parents. She had been the one rattling me out to my parents of how i no longer pay attention in class and had merely passed my tests and how unsure she was about me getting an A in her subject. I had only gotten it back yesterday and now i was gonna lose it again. Who knows?, maybe till after my exams this time. I almost cried at the thought. I looked up once again and saw about 18 pairs of eyes staring at me, including that of Mr Richards.
'have you gone deaf Precious Anthony?!', i could hear the heavens quake above me at the loudness of his voice.
' Nnnnnooo sir' i stammered, looking directly at his face. I was lost in thoughts that i didnt realise he had been talking to me.
Mr Richards was a tall lanky man in his mid forties. He limped on his right leg due to an accident he was a victim of that affected his bones. However it didnt stop him from being one of the mose athletic teachers we had despite his age. Mr Richards was neither loved nor hated by the students because he was one of those teachers who believed the teacher-student relationship should be nothing but formal. Most students liked him because he was a passive person who overlooked some misbehaviours of students as he felt his only duty was to teach . He felt correction and punishment was to be enforced by the prefects of the school as that was not inclusive in his appointment letter.
'ouch', i screamed. I turned at Dorcas who had pinched her to draw back her attention. Shit! She had been lost again.
'young woman, see me in my office after this class' he muttered,
'yes sir' , i replied calmly and made to have my seat:
'not so fast young lady, can you give the correct answer to the example i have set on the board.'
i looked at the board; i couldnt understand a thing. I just stared at my hands while knotting an invincible tie. I hated this sort of embarassment: the whole class was utterly shocked that i couldn't even attempt the question.
'yes Ngozi',
Loh God not her' i muttered under my breath, unfortunately for me she got it right and was applauded.
'sit down precious and dont forget; to see me in my office immediately after this class', he said stressing on the word 'immediately'.
I sat down and the class resumed.' Thank God it wasnt my phone. I looked at the time, it was 11:25, i sighed in frustration, five more minutes to the end of this lecture. Immediately the bell was rung he made to leave the class and i followed him like a sheep being led to the slaughterhouse. On getting to his office he arranged his table and was sorting out some books while i stood there wondering if i he had forgotten he invited me to see him or he was totally unaware that a human being was in front of him. He brought out his lunch pack and began eating his food. The aroma that emanated from the beans and fried plantain made me very hungry but then i had exhausted my lunch money this morning to buy airtime. I was indeed very hungry as i was about to have breakfast when my school bus arrived. I had exchanged my breakfast and lunch for my phone's satisfaction: it was worth it i thought.
You can't really blame me for my addiction to my phone when i am basically a prisoner in my house. I am not allowed to visit friends or even attend parties: i basically dont even have friends excluding Dorcas and some few people i talk to in school; church; dance class and my neighbourhood. I found solace in the internet where i have a very active social life. On my birthday i got merely wishes and gifts from my parents when on my facebook and 2go accounts i was a celebrity with a minimum of a thousand friends in each.
Jolting back to reality, Mr Richards was done eating and was packing his flask into his lunch bag. I glanced at my wristwatch: 11:58. Gosh! He had succeeded in ruining her break period all for nothing.
When he was done he asked her to go to her class, think properly on what was wrong with her and report to him the following day during recess.
It was when the bell announcing the end of recess was rung that she realised what she had done:
SHE HAD DISAPPOINTED DANIEL!
Re: Distraction ...a Story by Theeldah(f): 6:58pm On Mar 10, 2016
He remininced all that had happened that day and wished he had resisted the temptation to skip computer school and stay home. He was basically his own boss so there was no one to object to that decision. His mother's only concern when he was still in school was his grades. He had just written 3 exams earlier that year. His jamb result was already out and he had scored 290. He had applied to study Law at the prestigious Faculty of Law River State University of Science and Technology. He was to sit for the school's post utme exam during september which was in two months. He had enrolled himself for computer training while he waited for the results of his waec and neco. At least he wanted something just anything to keep him away from the house, but that very day he had felt really lazy and decided not to attend only for him to have a fight with his dad.
On seeing his friend race into his house like that he knew something was up. It could only be one thing, the beast had done done it again. Timothy's family was atleast something to write home about: theirs was a godly family. He came from a family of four: his father. Mother ,himself and his younger sister. His father was a politician and was rarely home but still had time for his family and children. His mother who owned a fashion house was busy as well but still found time to inculcate Godly values to her children providing them with all their necessesities. However, all this didnt stop their children from living the reckless lives they wanted although hiding that part of them from their parents and relations alike. It was such an irony that children brought up in a godly; loving and caring enviroment turned out to be reckless while Daniel who was from a broken and unhappy family and also a victim of abuse was even more decent and responsible.
They had all attended the same primary and secondary schools. Timothy who was very outspoken and rough and who had a figure of someone 3 years older took a liking to the shy; quiet smallish and timid Daniel. Timothy had saved daniel from the hands of some senior female students who had tried molesting him in their ss1. The 3 girls who had been lusting after the young boy due to his handsomness and quietness had taken him to a secluded area of the school and had forced him to have sex with each and everyone of them. The timid boy had just stared at them shaking visibly. They had forcefully had their way with him and was about going for second turns each when Timothy came in on them and they all scampered away leaving the visibly shaking young lad who was sweating profusely. Timothy felt tremendous pity for the young boy. Although they were agemates timothy looked older. That had been their secret and since then their friendship had waxed stronger. That was his primary reason for avoiding any form of intimate interaction with girls, he was scared of them. Timothy had tried all he could to get Daniel to associate more with them when all the girls had been practically throwing themselves at him but it had never worked so he just left the young man alone. One day he thought, he would fall in Love...or so he thought.
Whenever his parents had issues Daniel would run to Timothy who would in turn help him forget about his problems, it was on such occasions that he was introduced to alcohol and smoking: Although it didnt take it unnecessarily he only did it to forget his problems: poverbs 31:6 and 7.
It was already dark when he got back to his house. He checked the huge wall clock that hung in the sitting room: 9:50pm. His parents must have retired to bed by now or so he thought....
Updates coming later tonight
Re: Distraction ...a Story by D9ty7(m): 7:42pm On Mar 10, 2016
You have me glued already... www.penprimus.com
Re: Distraction ...a Story by Theeldah(f): 1:22pm On Mar 11, 2016
D9ty7:
You have me glued already... www.penprimus.com
am humbled sir
Re: Distraction ...a Story by Theeldah(f): 2:33pm On Mar 11, 2016
'Batt men-tendu to the front and to the side; tip-toe on count three to the left; and end with arabseque'. The instructor addressed the dancers.
Precious was flawless throughout the routine and was given the lead role for the dance, as always.
' One, two, three. four, arabseque, remember to lock your knees for proper fitting and balance.'
'Mary could you go and work with the barre bar?( a long wooden or metal pole attached to the wall of a dance studio which dancers use to train and for balance), you are still having problems balancing on your toes, stand on your toes and count to hundred, use the barre bar for support' he said as the said girl scurried off with her tutu.
'Thats all for today girls, see you next week and dont forget to come with your handel messiah cd's.'
'merci monsieur' they all chorused and curtsied with their tutu's to greet their ballet instructor before dispersing the hall. Precious picked up her bottle of water and drained its whole content in a gulp, she quickly looked around to make sure none of her instructors was looking because as a dancer she was expected to take only little after each exercise. Hopefully, they were all busy getting their stuff to leave the hall. She looked around for her younger sister Deborah who was nowhere to be found. She went to the dressing room to change into her clothes, going through her phone (because phones were not allowed to be in the hall during training), she had 12missed calls and 3messages; she glanced through and was disappointed that none had been from Daniel. She had been trying to reach him since that incident in class on tuesday but he had been ignoring her calls and messages. It was saturday and she still had not heard from him.
'he should go to hell jhoor, mtchew, when he is tired he would come and beg me instead', she thought aloud, rather too loudly.
'And who is boarding the next flight to hell?.' A voice said behind her. Startled she turned around to see Miss Beverly her Dance coach behind her. Miss Beverly is godfearing; caring and loving although a strict and disciplined young woman. She is indeed an epitome of beauty and brains. Although she is 36 she could pass for 25 with her dark; slim and tall figure. She is married with 3 lovely girls(triplets). Miss Beverly (as she was fondly called before she got married and had stuck even after her wedding) is the owner of the Praise dance Academy.
God called her as a dance minister when she was a teenager and in order to fufill that purpose she and her friends had organized a dance group which later evolved and she started the Praise Dance Academy, a dance school that is founded in Godly and moral principles to teach and train both children, teens and young adults to serve God with their body and talents and also impact the younger generation.
Although miss Beverly is kind and understanding she took no chances when it comes to fornication or immorality and thats why as early as possible every child in the academy is educated on love; lust; friendship and the importance of sexual purity. Miss Beverly carries every child along in the School but took a special liking to Precious and Deborah right from the very first day they stepped into the school. She had met them in church and had invited them to her school as they had always loved dancing and knew it naturally. She felt they would excel in dancing professionally and that had prompted her to approach their parents. Precious reminded her of her younger self and that had pushed her into becoming more than a dance teacher to her, she was her friend, teacher , mother and mentor. Precious had always been a very open and lively child since she met her 4 years ago but she had started noticing some level of secrecy and strange attitudes from the girl which had caused her to be worried because she saw herself in her and wouldnt want her to tow the path which she had done as a young growing girl. Although most people had not noticed it, she had also noticed that whatever precious was going through had been affecting her dance lessons as she hardly concentrated and would often forget her routines: she planned on talking to her and had followed her into the dressing room.
Visibly taken aback by the presence of her Dance coach her phone fell from her hand making a loud noice. She quickly bent down and picked up the dismembered parts of her phone and tried putting them back together: she switched it on and it came on. 'thank God for nokia', she muttered.
'who was going to hell precious? And when did you start using such foul language', Miss Beverly asked calmly, although visibly disappointed.
'Am sorry Ma'am', replied precious; fidgeting with her phone in her hand.
'that doesnt answer my question, does it?' queried miss Beverly peering at the young girl.
Before she could reply her phone started ringing. She glanced at the caller and nearly fainted, she was in deep shit..... It was DANIEL!
Re: Distraction ...a Story by Theeldah(f): 2:35pm On Mar 11, 2016
Would really appreciate your comments and criticisms to know where am faulting. Updates coming by 8pm
Re: Distraction ...a Story by Theeldah(f): 7:59pm On Mar 14, 2016
You pipo should help me and beg phcn o.....am sorry for the long trip i embarked on....updates coming soon
Re: Distraction ...a Story by D9ty7(m): 8:38pm On Mar 14, 2016
Theeldah:
You pipo should help me and beg phcn o.....am sorry for the long trip i embarked on....updates coming soon
Power supply is on an increase here in my area... You can always bring your laptop to charge and update for we your readers.
Re: Distraction ...a Story by Theeldah(f): 8:57pm On Mar 14, 2016
He realised he had not eaten anything substantive since morning and world war 2 was already set to commence in his stomach.He strolled to the kitchen to find something to eat.
'oh God!' he muttered under his breath. His mom had already served his dinner of eba and vegetable soup and kept in the microwave. He was not ready to eat such a heavy meal and opted for noodles and egg which was actually his favorite food. That was what he had for breakfast but due to his love for it he could eat it three times straight without batting an eyelid.
He looked round the massive kitchen: it was clean. His mum had sacked all the maids few years back when they came home and found his dad and one of the maids in a very compromising situation. Ever since then, she did all the cleaning herself. He had tried talking to her to get a help but she had blatantly refused insisting that she enjoyed cleaning. He knew his mum more than anyone ever could, it was really stressful keeping up with the cleaning.
He went into the store room and brought out 2 super packs of Indomie instant noodles and 2 eggs and started cooking. Few minutes later he was at the sitting room, eating and watching a movie when he heard the chattering of a glass.
He hurriedly went upstairs only to discover that his mum had accidentally dropped a mug.
'geez mom, Are you okay?', he asked, fear written all over him.
'Am fine son, sorry for startling you like that' she replied with a small smile escaping her lips.
He stared at his mum, she was indeed a very young and beautiful woman. Although in her thirties she could pass for 25. Sometimes he wondered why his mum still stuck with his dad when she could still get another husband. He could see the artwork which his father's hand had sculptured on his mother's body, he didnt even know when tears strolled down his face.
' Stop this son; go back to your room i will be fine' she said calmly wiping his tears with her hands.
'Are you sure'?, he asked still unsure of her safety.
' sure, by the way, where did you go earlier today, i tried calling your phone all day but it was unavailable', she asked visibly worried this time.
' i was at Timothy's, just try and get some rest okay mum? '
' sure' she smiled at him trying to convince her son. He pecked and turned to leave when she called back at him.
'daniel'
'yes mum?', he turned worried
' why dont you go and talk to him, sort things out with him', she begged.
'No way mum; he got just what he deserved, how dare him degrade u in just a manner.' he snapped , visibly angry.
' he's still your father daniel, you have no right whatsoever to raise your hand against him, even the bible frowns against it. You better go and beg him if you dont wanna come under a curse'. She scolded him.
'if thats what you want', he replied walking away.
She shook her head in sadness. She never wanted this for her son. This was not the kind of family she had envisiaged from the onset. If only she could turn back the hands of time. It was too late.
He felt the cold night breeze brush against his skin as he strolled to his father's apartment. It was a one bedroom flat bungalow at the left side of the compound. It was his father's own house. He was hardly at the main house unless he had bedroom investments to take care of. He didnt even have meals with them as a family. He had all his meals served in his apartment. On getting to the door; he took a deep breath and knocked softly. He was shocked however when the door opened almost immediately as if the receiver had been expecting a guest. He turned to see his father standing in front of him with blank eyes. He stood at the door wondering if he was to talj or just walk away, he opted for the latter and was about leaving when he his father invited him in. He walked into the house and took a seat. He looked around the house, nothing much had changed since he was last there: about a year ago. The sitting room was sparsely furnished with3 Italian settees, a glass centre table, a 32' plasma tv and a home theatre. Afterall, he was hardly around, Daniel thought. To the utmost surprise of hid father and himself, Daniel went on his knees before his father with his head bowed.
'Am here to apologise for my unruly attitude this morning, Please forgive me....Dad', he was ready for whatever was to come, maybe a beating or even worse but was to receive the shock of his life.
' stand up Daniel'
he looked up to be sure he had heard his father clearly
'Excuse me?' he asked, to be quite sure of what he had heard.
In response his father walked up to him and raised him up.
'have your seat, Daniel,'. He looked carefully at the chair before finally sitting down to make sure a bomb was not there waiting to explode at any moment.
His father shocked him the more by asking him about his training, results and forthcoming exam.
Re: Distraction ...a Story by Theeldah(f): 9:13pm On Mar 14, 2016
They talked about so many things ranging from cars to religion, politics to sports. It was when the clock chimed midnight that they realised they had been talking for over 2 hours. Daniel couldnt believe his luck, this was the longest conversation he had had with his dad for over 7 years.
' good night dad', he greeted, all smiles
' good morning daniel', his father replied calmly.
'SON'....'Son'....thats what he had longed to hear,
' a begger has no choice', he consoled himself,.
He strolled to the main house and realised he had left his food halfway, although he was still hungry, he loathed cold noodles and trashed the leftover food. He took a glass of water instead and went to his room. He remininced the activitied of the day and couldnt help but smile. As if hit by a thunder bolt, he brought out his phone and sent Timothy a message on whatsapp
'Dude, av got sm gudnews 4 u, ..ttyl'
He couldnt help but say a prayer of thanksgiving to God for a successful day. The conversation he had with his father will mark a new beginning in his family.....or so he thought.
Re: Distraction ...a Story by Theeldah(f): 9:59pm On Mar 14, 2016
It was two weeks into her exam. Precious had tried all she could to make sure she came tops in her class this term although she still had 2 more papers to go. She went as far as switching off her phone 2 weeks prior to the exam making it a month ago, dedicating herself to her books and taking her spiritual life more seriously. Since she had the locker discussion with Miss Beverly a month ago, precious had transformed. She recalled what had transpired that day and could only smile.
'pick up the call', miss Beverly had insisted after she had missed 3 calls from daniel during their conversation: relunctant at first but urged on she picked the call at the 4th ring.
'hello'
'hello baby'
' how are you', came her solemn reply, looking away from the gazing eyes of Miss Beverly.
'hahaa , are you still mad at me?, babe am sorry nah but you know you really disappointed me,,,i was really hurt you know', ranted daniel.
'Its okay', came her reply. She was never comfortable talking with the opposite sex whenever miss Beverly was around.
'this one you're talking like this, arent you happy to hear from me., you know i...'.
'can i talk to you later, am quite busy at the moment'. Without waiting for a reply she hung up and switched off her phone. She knew she was in trouble, the way she spoke alone was enough to know that something was wrong somewhere. To her surprise, Miss Beverly smiled and told her just 3 words which almost shattered her.
' I TRUST YOU'
she stared at miss Beverly with shock written all over face.
' Dont disapoint God,I ,your family and your future. With that she stood up and left the room without looking back. Precious had decided not to disappoint hence her actions.
She had Mathematics the next day and had alot to cover up, although she had been preparing for it earlier.
'precious', called her Mum. She had been lost in thoughts and had not realised that she had been called severally.
'am coming' ; she replied from her room. She got up from her reading table, closed her books and arranged them neatly in her locker. She came out from her room and went to the kitchen. It was sunday and she knew just what to expect: Visitors. She grumbled within her. Not at the fact that visitors were bound to come but that having visitors meant cooking mass meals and that resulted in PLENTY DIRTY DISHES. Exactly why she was grumbling, she hated dishes and was always forced to do her obligations. She sometimes have to feign sickness, pretend to be asleep or just bribe Deborah, all so that she would be excused.
' what are you doing inside?, are you not aware that uncle Diepreye and his family are around?,'
Another thing she hated about having visitors was that she would be introduced to or have to start associating with people that practically attended her naming ceremony and could not remember ranging from grandfather's friends, distant uncles to relatives whom she had no idea existed.
' haba mummy, i have exams tomoro nah, after you will say i dont read, now that i am reading you want me to go and greet visitors'
'will you shut up and go to the sitting room, are you trying to say your uncle and his family are jobless before they decided to leave their house down to this place, Or do you think i and your father dont have anything to do instead?', her mother barked at her.
'Maybe!', she muttered.
'what did you say young lady'; her mum said chasing her with a dishing spoon.
'nothing oh' , she laughed, running to the sitting room.
Sundays!
Thanks guys....hopefully, I'll try and drop something tomoro.
Re: Distraction ...a Story by D9ty7(m): 11:39pm On Mar 14, 2016
I can see you have adjusted from your use of the first person singular 'I' everytime it comes to Precious.
Keep writing, you have a reader in me.
www.penprimus.com
Re: Distraction ...a Story by Theeldah(f): 9:38pm On Mar 15, 2016
Thanks alot d9ty7 and pls sir u can help invite more people to the thread, had a long day but i will surely upload tomoro...Jah bless
Re: Distraction ...a Story by Missmossy(f): 10:17pm On Mar 15, 2016
Interesting,kudos. Keep it coming.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

UNVEILED / Love At First Lie / I AND Marcel(gay Story , Written By Chidera Chokolate)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 206
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.