Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,521 members, 7,808,902 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 07:00 PM

I Want To Give Birth In Us - Travel (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / I Want To Give Birth In Us (40833 Views)

Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 3 / Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 2 / Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedure? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Go Down)

Re: I Want To Give Birth In Us by Shinatu: 10:05am On Dec 05, 2008
From what I know, visitors are not qualified to take Medicaid and taking it may also put your name on Immigration records.

A friend from Naija took Medicaid and was told at the US Embassy when she went to renew her visa to go pay up her hospital bills.

she tried to do that but the hospital told her they had already collected their money from the authorities.

Yyour own case may be different  since you normally would not apply for a US visa being a British citizen
Re: I Want To Give Birth In Us by JJYOU: 12:01pm On Dec 05, 2008
Shinatu:

From what I know, visitors are not qualified to take Medicaid and taking it may also put your name on Immigration records.

A friend from Naija took Medicaid and was told at the US Embassy when she went to renew her visa to go pay up her hospital bills.

she tried to do that but the hospital told her they had already collected their money from the authorities.

Yyour own case may be different  since you normally would not apply for a US visa being a British citizen
i dont think they abuse it there like they do here in the uk
Re: I Want To Give Birth In Us by Ilelobola: 2:12pm On Dec 05, 2008
And pray you have no complications. My uncle's wife (legal resident in the US) had their daughter prematurely and their insurance was not enough to cover the bills. They have over $60k they are still working night and day to pay off.

On the other hand, if you are thinking of not paying, you can still be prevented from ever re-entering the US regardless of what citizenship you hold. I've heard of people with UK and Nigerian citizenship that were found out and banned for 99 years. Basically forever.

Good luck.
Re: I Want To Give Birth In Us by sharpmoves: 5:18pm On Dec 05, 2008
Ilelobola:

And pray you have no complications. My uncle's wife (legal resident in the US) had their daughter prematurely and their insurance was not enough to cover the bills. They have over $60k they are still working night and day to pay off.

On the other hand, if you are thinking of not paying, you can still be prevented from ever re-entering the US regardless of what citizenship you hold. I've heard of people with UK and Nigerian citizenship that were found out and banned for 99 years. Basically forever.

Good luck.

Thanks; Hopefully; there wont be any complications; not looking to go to the US until am about 7 months or so; Also I have no plan of absconding without pay; hence the need for the enquiries.
Re: I Want To Give Birth In Us by Hauwa1: 6:41pm On Dec 05, 2008
what abt midwife clinics, it might be cheaper. states hospital, ummm no cheap Birth. with no complication my aunt paid 6k for her delivery. no complication and she had to be discharged the next day. not cheap at all.
Re: I Want To Give Birth In Us by KarmaMod(f): 8:12pm On Dec 05, 2008
7 months is too heavy
Re: I Want To Give Birth In Us by bawomolo(m): 8:26pm On Dec 05, 2008
In addition, the very good public transit in Chi town helps you do the running around yourself not requiring someone to drive you around as would be the case in most of the south.

very good public transit in chicago especially at this time of the year? huh
Re: I Want To Give Birth In Us by K2: 8:29pm On Dec 05, 2008
@Smartmoves, Take Kweenisha up on her offer. I think she's on to something. Government generally have something for Latinos. A friend's wife came from Ireland and stayed with us and gave birth this past summer. They had an arrangement with some Naija doctors in Providence Hosp where they gave them $6,000 and everything was taken care of. It was later that I was told by my sis that they could have avoided those fees. I'll try to help you check.
Re: I Want To Give Birth In Us by bawomolo(m): 8:34pm On Dec 05, 2008
*Hauwa*:

what about midwife clinics, it might be cheaper. states hospital, ummm no cheap Birth. with no complication my aunt paid 6k for her delivery. no complication and she had to be discharged the next day. not cheap at all.

true i was thinking of this. get a licensed midwife though.
Re: I Want To Give Birth In Us by Kweenisha: 11:34pm On Dec 05, 2008
Shinatu:

Yyour own case may be different since you normally would not apply for a US visa being a British citizen

The medicaid will only cover the birth of the baby who is going to be American.
It is done.I'm 100% sure this was the practice.If the rules have changed,I haven't heard of it.How do you think all these latinos who swim across the Rio Grande full term do it?
How many of them can afford to pay hospital bills.

1 Like

Re: I Want To Give Birth In Us by Hauwa1: 11:44pm On Dec 05, 2008
i think the case of the mexican is different from hers. she is going to buy flight ticket to come deliver in the states. on the other hand, the mexican poverty pursue them reach the river.
Re: I Want To Give Birth In Us by Kweenisha: 11:48pm On Dec 05, 2008
Omoge how you come dey hide from aunty na?
haba hauwa
Re: I Want To Give Birth In Us by Hauwa1: 11:59pm On Dec 05, 2008
cool
Re: I Want To Give Birth In Us by Busybody2(f): 12:01am On Dec 06, 2008
KarmaMod:

7 months is too heavy

Isn't six months the cut-off period?

Sharpmoves, whatever period you decide to travel, just don't forget your God sha and don't forget to always breath in deeply. I travelled to Nigeria when I was five months pregnant, and fainted about four times due to the lack of oxygen, and I saw stars for the whole duration of the flight mind you, na aisle seat i book and it was a morning flight cheesy  I spent 95% of the flight in the toilet, the plane even landed whilst I was in the loo.
Re: I Want To Give Birth In Us by Emmyemmy(m): 12:21am On Dec 06, 2008
If you have a place to stay around New york, I can be of help to you. With $3,500 you will have your baby at one of the best hospitals in newyork.
Re: I Want To Give Birth In Us by KarmaMod(f): 1:55am On Dec 07, 2008
Emmyemmy:

If you have a place to stay around New york, I can be of help to you. With $3,500 you will have your baby at one of the best hospitals in newyork.

Ignore this yahooze.
Re: I Want To Give Birth In Us by Magnate021(m): 2:47am On Dec 07, 2008
Kweenisha:

It is done.I'm 100% sure this was the practice.If the rules have changed,I haven't heard of it.How do you think all these latinos who swim across the Rio Grande full term do it?
your thought put me in state of curiousity too. because we have alot of mexicans here and they have no papers at all, and they were even not in any refugee status yet they have kids like pig,i don't know how they go about it. if u do ur reasearch deeply you may find a way to qualify for medicaid.
Re: I Want To Give Birth In Us by Nobody: 6:41am On Dec 07, 2008
My wife gave birth last August. The final bill was $3650 and we paid $250 for circumcission. The same bill for my older son. That is the same bill every women pay in North Carolina, unless there is complication. God forbid!

If you are truly ready and serious to pay the bills, then my email is oaziz44@hotmail.com

2 Likes

Re: I Want To Give Birth In Us by Nobody: 7:45am On Dec 07, 2008
KarmaMod:

Ignore this yahooze.

How did you arrive at that conclusion
Re: I Want To Give Birth In Us by martho(m): 2:49pm On Dec 07, 2008
Must it be America,with British p.your child can travel all over the world.better still, canada is ok,they have better health insurance scheme. .even germany is super.
Re: I Want To Give Birth In Us by Sonye(f): 9:51pm On Dec 07, 2008
aysometin:

i think what he means to say is that its too good to be true
Re: I Want To Give Birth In Us by Angolobabe(f): 1:33am On Dec 08, 2008
so medical treatment is not free in the US ? then we are lucky in europe
Re: I Want To Give Birth In Us by KarmaMod(f): 1:57am On Dec 08, 2008
aysometin:

because I live in New York?
Re: I Want To Give Birth In Us by SweetT1: 10:16pm On Dec 08, 2008
Kweenisha:

Where did all these people get these false inFormations from?? No hospital in the USA asks for your immigration status before they treat you. Especially when you are about to have a baby. They may ask for your insurance card or co-payment for your insurance, which is about $50-100 depending on the states and the hospital. And if you don't have an insurance, the hospital must treat you and later send the bill to your address some months after. And if you don't pay the bill for about a period of 6 months it is sent to a collection agency. Since you are a foreigner, i don't think you have to worry about a collection agency, pay the minimum amount you can. My advice is for you to go to a county hospital, they cannot refuse you a treatment, it's against the law for them to do that. This is how many mexicans and Canadians deliever their baby or get medical treatment. County hospitals may not be a top of the line hospitals but they still beat the best around the world. Once you have your baby, you can even apply for programs such as WIC and others to help you through post natal stages. But If you come to the USA to have your baby, just tell your family and friends to take you to their local county hospital and you can have your baby there. Every county in the states has one local hospitals that caters to the ones who can't afford private hospitals.

@Shinatu

where did you get such information from?? who told you that?? No hospital in the states will ever release your medical record to a third party without your consent, except it is for a criminal investigations or national security. The hospital risk losing millions if they do such, they can be sued by the patient and be fine by the Government. It is highly against the law to use an information such as medical record or medical bill to deny anyone a job, a medical treatment, immigration benefits (except for normal medical screening at the embassy). Please check your facts before you start misleading folks on such an important topic. NO HOSPITAL(S) WILL EVER USE YOUR MEDICAL RECORD OBTAINED IN THE USA TO DENY YOU BENEFITS, UNLESS IT IS FOR CRIMINAL INVESTIGATION OR NATIONAL SECURITY. It is a civil case if you don't pay your medical bill, not a criminal case. 

1 Like

Re: I Want To Give Birth In Us by KarmaMod(f): 3:27am On Dec 09, 2008
Hm
Re: I Want To Give Birth In Us by SeanT21(f): 5:34pm On Dec 09, 2008
Angolobabe:

so medical treatment is not free in the US ? then we are lucky in europe

Did You Not watch the debates?

Healthcare is EXPENSIVE!!
Re: I Want To Give Birth In Us by diggler(m): 11:39pm On Dec 09, 2008
oaziz:

My wife gave birth last August. The final bill was $3650 and we paid $250 for circumcision.

I always knew i messed up the day i decided not to study medicine.
The figures u just quoted r like the cheapest for childbirth in the US (based on what others have been posting)

No wonder my OBGYN friend in the states dey build castles all over Nigeria.
Meen Health Care really is expensive in the states, I now understand why its such a touchy issue with Politicans.

@Post, take the North-Carolina option cos it seems the cheapest so far.

Wish u a safe delivery

On a lighter note
Who knows ur American citizen Pikin might just be sworn in as C-IN-C 2057 (only say by then Nigeria will be the greatest Nation on Gods earth and u'll wish u came home to give birth, my midwive GrandMum will handle ur entire runs for free, house u even)
Re: I Want To Give Birth In Us by luckyme9(f): 8:43am On Dec 12, 2008
Yes KamaMod is right.  If you have a place to stay in Chicago area.
I can help you with how $3500 will be enough.  If u still need help
finding your relatives in Chicago, may be I can help you too.
But I agree with Martho, there is really no big deal in having your
Child here, why don't you come after birth for a vacation.  Maybe we
would have gotten to know each other a little bit more." Iam not
trying to toast; I am happily married woman with my house full of kids."
I'm always willing to help my brothers and sister when ever possible, so far
I haven't been let down
In case you still want to come for the birth, you'll need to plan for about
2 months after birth, because you'll need time for the government issued
birth certificate before you can apply for the childs passport. I'm talking about
The state of Illinois, Chicago area
they don't accept hospital records anymore.
Good luck
Re: I Want To Give Birth In Us by Shinatu: 2:22pm On Dec 12, 2008
Sweet T:

Where did all these people get these false inFormations from?? No hospital in the USA asks for your immigration status before they treat you. Especially when you are about to have a baby. They may ask for your insurance card or co-payment for your insurance, which is about $50-100 depending on the states and the hospital. And if you don't have an insurance, the hospital must treat you and later send the bill to your address some months after. And if you don't pay the bill for about a period of 6 months it is sent to a collection agency. Since you are a foreigner, i don't think you have to worry about a collection agency, pay the minimum amount you can. My advice is for you to go to a county hospital, they cannot refuse you a treatment, it's against the law for them to do that. This is how many mexicans and Canadians deliever their baby or get medical treatment. County hospitals may not be a top of the line hospitals but they still beat the best around the world. Once you have your baby, you can even apply for programs such as WIC and others to help you through post natal stages. But If you come to the USA to have your baby, just tell your family and friends to take you to their local county hospital and you can have your baby there. Every county in the states has one local hospitals that caters to the ones who can't afford private hospitals.

@Shinatu

where did you get such information from?? who told you that?? No hospital in the states will ever release your medical record to a third party without your consent, except it is for a criminal investigations or national security. The hospital risk losing millions if they do such, they can be sued by the patient and be fine by the Government. It is highly against the law to use an information such as medical record or medical bill to deny anyone a job, a medical treatment, immigration benefits (except for normal medical screening at the embassy). Please check your facts before you start misleading folks on such an important topic. NO HOSPITAL(S) WILL EVER USE YOUR MEDICAL RECORD OBTAINED IN THE USA TO DENY YOU BENEFITS, UNLESS IT IS FOR CRIMINAL INVESTIGATION OR NATIONAL SECURITY. It is a civil case if you don't pay your medical bill, not a criminal case.

Who said anything about an hospital denying you benefits because of your medical record?

Ask women in Nigeria  who have recently had babies in the US and who have ever ventured to renew their visas what document  are asked to be seen at the Embassy? Your Hospital bills and receipt!!!!

A pregnant colleague was almost turned back at the airport until she was able to prove that she had enough money to pay her hospital bill , this was her assessment of her experience with immigrations there could have been other reason unknown to her, but come to think of it,what other reasons could immigration have? That was not her first time in the US.
Re: I Want To Give Birth In Us by kayusa: 3:23pm On Dec 12, 2008
Poor lady I pity you,You are indeed naive.
Did you know that so many Nigerians who do come here and give birth to citizens don't stay here becos they don't want to be caugth by the law well they will not arrest you but guess what they will garnish your check to get dat money which means if you don't pay the hospital will get their money but the government will come after you by taking the money out of your taxes and if you don't pay tax you will go to jail.On the other hand if you don't reside here they will not let you in this country again.You told you that the government here cannot deny you entry because you are a British citizen all they need to do is to put your info on the DHS data base and all over the country you are marked.
Now the latinos who came here and some naija what they do is to use some else identity to claim benefit.For you you will be billed thousands of dollars my wife gave birth last July my bill wa $20,000 I am a lawful citizen what paid off my bill is because I work for the government.For you whatever way you go.Think twice all those niaja who think they are smart watch out the government is cooking up something.You guys will see it soon.
A word is enough for the wise.
Re: I Want To Give Birth In Us by Hauwa1: 3:36pm On Dec 12, 2008
if i were the op, i will give birth in Britain. when it comes to birthing, there are many unpredictable circumstances. if you happen to be in the States and go into labor, that's okay. But planning to come give birth here with little money or non is not a funny matter. think again and stay where you are with peace of mind. your baby can always come to the states when he or she grows up.
Re: I Want To Give Birth In Us by kayusa: 6:54pm On Dec 12, 2008
I hope the lady listen to you Hauwa but if she refuse to listen it's all on her and I hope she will have the nerves to tell her baby someday that she has to cheat the government by using someone else identity to pay for the baby's medical bill.It is much better for you to give birth in the UK where you are legal than come here and find out the hard way.medical bills in America is a big issue but alot of naijas won't tell you the truth but whatever you want to do it's all on you.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6)

A Visit To the Beautiful Lekki Art - One of the Biggest Art Markets in Nigeria / Ethiopian Airline Lands Latest Boeing 787-9 In Abuja With 177 Passengers / My Very Ugly Experience With Cross Country Transport. Pictures attached!!!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 96
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.