Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,763 members, 7,802,333 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 12:37 PM

Why Every Programmer Should Learn C Or C++ - Programming - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / Why Every Programmer Should Learn C Or C++ (853 Views)

Lets Learn C# Here!(study Group For Beginners) / 10 Mistakes Every Programmer Makes / Which Do I Learn First C Or C++ (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Why Every Programmer Should Learn C Or C++ by mykeels(m): 4:31pm On Dec 04, 2014
I have decided to share my thoughts on software development with the world, using the easiest possible media. It's so i can improve my writing style, and learn to express myself, while understanding everyone else better.

For programmers who make use of Java, VB.NET (like myself), and other High-Level Languages, it's easy to get too attached to the ease of use and abstraction that comes with using sophisticated languages, and forget the reason we got into programming in the first place, which is to learn how the computer works, and how we can manipulate it best.

The reason languages are called High-Level, is because underlying processes such as memory allocation and addressing are hidden from both the developer and user. This process is called Abstraction. It makes such languages easier to learn and use.

But does using such programming languages make us better programmers? What happens when we need to write a program where speed of execution is very important? How about where we need to work with specific parts of the memory, or work as closely as possible to the machine layer of the computer?

Sure, DLLs exist that could possibly save our asses. However, we all know how annoying searching for free code libraries online can be, when a few hundred lines of C or C++ could have easily done the job for us.

Even though C is generally regarded as a High-Level language, it is actually an intermediate language, meaning that it exists in a layer between most High Level Languages and the Assembly Layer. C makes use of pointers, meaning that you could actually work directly with memory addresses, and even choose which addresses should hold which values. An advantage of this would be that if managed well, a programmer could write memory efficient programs that would ultimately execute much faster than programs written with VB.NET and Java.

However, a disadvantage is that the freedom which C and C++ will give you could also be the chink in the armor, because poorly written code could result in a damaged operating system, or perhaps RAM. But even this, is rare because most recent compilers would inspect your code for such bugs.

Some might ask how they would write sophisticated programs and perhaps work with databases using C and C++. Call me a novice, but I just found out recently that using C and C++ to build DLLs and integrating them into my VB.NET applications gave me still very fast execution speeds.

2 Likes

Re: Why Every Programmer Should Learn C Or C++ by Kovic08(m): 4:42pm On Dec 05, 2014
Over 70views, no comment,

Hmm i think ppeople hate you
modified
wait oo

e be like say am the only one learning c language for this place
it seems everybody is interested in c++ language

nawa o

(1) (Reply)

Help Required: I Need A Copy Of The Virtacoin Windows Wallet Virtacoin-qt.exe... / What Kind Of Algorithm Are You Writing? / #12 Web-scraping W/ Python & Learning Nscalendar (from My Blog)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 10
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.