Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,677 members, 7,801,953 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 06:49 AM

I Replaced Gx470 Faulty Air Suspension Today - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / I Replaced Gx470 Faulty Air Suspension Today (11517 Views)

Air Suspension Problem Solved Permanently / Audi A6 V8 Allroad Quattro Wagon Air Suspension / What Will Happen To The Odometer Of A Vehicle If The Engine Is Replaced??? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

I Replaced Gx470 Faulty Air Suspension Today by bayooz(m): 10:03pm On Dec 04, 2014
Just this week Monday, I realized that my air suspension tube is licking.
I researched online on various alternatives available for this gx470. I bought the SUV about a year and a half ago and I cannot let go.
In summary, I purchased 1.5" coil springs for FJ CRUISER /4runner.
Today, within 120 minutes we replaced the faulty suspension. Bravo my SUV is back.

Re: I Replaced Gx470 Faulty Air Suspension Today by bayooz(m): 10:05pm On Dec 04, 2014
The first pix is the faulty balloons removed.
Re: I Replaced Gx470 Faulty Air Suspension Today by GAZZUZZ(m): 11:51pm On Dec 04, 2014
Rear air suspension parts are available, but expensive. Is this how you are going to continue swapping out parts of your vehicle when the parts get bad?
My advice, get a smaller suv that has cheaper parts.

4 Likes

Re: I Replaced Gx470 Faulty Air Suspension Today by bayooz(m): 8:28am On Dec 05, 2014
GAZZUZZ:
Rear air suspension parts are available, but expensive. Is this how you are going to continue swapping out parts of your vehicle when the parts get bad?
My advice, get a smaller suv that has cheaper parts.
Not at all sir. I replaced all parts with OEM recommended parts. It is just that the airbag in the air suspension is the most criminal and expensive of GX470 parts. Hence in the United States, there is mass swapping with coil springs without regrets.
I do have other smaller cars.

8 Likes

Re: I Replaced Gx470 Faulty Air Suspension Today by Nobody: 8:33am On Dec 05, 2014
bayooz:

WTF! shocked ! You raised your SUV and you didn't put a platform beneath the raised area. Just the light duty jack (your truck uses heavy duty truck jack) and some random dude with suicidal tendency had the guts to go under to fiddle with components? What if the jack fails or the heavy vehicle rolls and crush the guy under? Jeez!

As for your 'AIRS' they are meant to be in that truck and no springs. Lexus intentionally put AIRS for self 'leveling' and 'kneeling' and raising especially during higher speeds, offroading or when there is a heavy load in the truck. If you can't make a purchase for a new 'AIRS' kindly do another car with springs for what you're doing to that truck isn't justice. Mind you, those coilovers isn't gonna be 'smooth de silk' of a ride in that truck.

4 Likes

Re: I Replaced Gx470 Faulty Air Suspension Today by bayooz(m): 8:39am On Dec 05, 2014
[quote author=lomomike post=28608624]

WTF! shocked ! You raised your SUV and you didn't put a platform beneath the raised area. Just the light duty jack (your truck uses heavy duty truck jack) and some random dude with suicidal tendency had the guts to go under to fiddle with components? What if the jack fails or the heavy vehicle rolls and crush the guy under? Jeez!
No sir.
Two platforms were used to support the truck after heavy duty jack was used to raise it. I just didn't show the pictures.
As for the leveling or kneelin it is a matter of choice by Lexus corporation.
For example, am aware that there are two variants of Prado landcruiser. Air suspension and non-air suspension model.

2 Likes

Re: I Replaced Gx470 Faulty Air Suspension Today by bayooz(m): 8:43am On Dec 05, 2014

1 Like

Re: I Replaced Gx470 Faulty Air Suspension Today by bayooz(m): 8:44am On Dec 05, 2014
https://www.google.com.ng/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&ei=I2KBVPbhDoqrU5CEg9gP&url=http://www.toyota120.com/forum/showthread.php%3Ft%3D26848&ved=0CCYQFjAD&usg=AFQjCNHaYBkDEevHFiAr-l2jM06-UGiAdg&sig2=hVF07RsgTPzN4PIqjcrBvA[sup][/sup]

1 Like

Re: I Replaced Gx470 Faulty Air Suspension Today by bayooz(m): 8:45am On Dec 05, 2014

1 Like

Re: I Replaced Gx470 Faulty Air Suspension Today by bayooz(m): 8:47am On Dec 05, 2014
https://www.google.com.ng/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&ei=12KBVKS3N4n8UpjjgOgP&url=http://extremelandcruiser.com/store/index.php%3Fmain_page%3Dproduct_info%26cPath%3D94%26products_id%3D658&ved=0CDQQFjAG&usg=AFQjCNFt1UR7tDArFkLWYzx8i6ztVbaMHQ&sig2=LdJL6067dia_nMMH1V5GOQ :'

2 Likes

Re: I Replaced Gx470 Faulty Air Suspension Today by GAZZUZZ(m): 9:48am On Dec 05, 2014
lomomike:

As for your 'AIRS' they are meant to be in that truck and no springs. Lexus intentionally put AIRS for self 'leveling' and 'kneeling' and raising especially during higher speeds, offroading or when there is a heavy load in the truck. If you can't make a purchase for a new 'AIRS' kindly do another car with springs for what you're doing to that truck isn't justice. Mind you, those coilovers isn't gonna be 'smooth de silk' of a ride in that truck.

Lol @ bolded grin
Re: I Replaced Gx470 Faulty Air Suspension Today by Nobody: 10:33am On Dec 05, 2014
bayooz:
https://www.google.com.ng/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&ei=12KBVKS3N4n8UpjjgOgP&url=http://extremelandcruiser.com/store/index.php%3Fmain_page%3Dproduct_info%26cPath%3D94%26products_id%3D658&ved=0CDQQFjAG&usg=AFQjCNFt1UR7tDArFkLWYzx8i6ztVbaMHQ&sig2=LdJL6067dia_nMMH1V5GOQ :'

Bros, some golden toes/hill billies did it doesn't mean you should. Except you purchased your struts OEM or brand new which out classes the OEM type and the conversion is professionally done.

By the way, if you feel Lexus AIRS easily goes bad, try that of Mercedes and Range Rover.

4 Likes

Re: I Replaced Gx470 Faulty Air Suspension Today by Nobody: 10:33am On Dec 05, 2014
GAZZUZZ:

Lol @ bolded grin

Chief, na wetin come my finger tips na. I kuku laugh in Ebira language when I see amgrin
Re: I Replaced Gx470 Faulty Air Suspension Today by bayooz(m): 7:18am On Apr 26, 2015
I appreciate all your worries and contributions.
it is about 4 months I have put the springs in my GX. I enjoy the ride. It is balanced and no visible over steer. No fear of balloons going bad. No single complain. It does not affect the shock absorbers and handling. Am happy with it. There are so many DIY modifications happening abroad. Let think outta box and appreciate our own ingenuity.
Thanks and God bless.

12 Likes

Re: I Replaced Gx470 Faulty Air Suspension Today by adanny01(m): 3:22pm On Apr 26, 2015
How much did you get the coil springs? I need a set for toyota prado in a couple of weeks. The ones in the car are of different heights. Na Kazeem put am there oh.
Re: I Replaced Gx470 Faulty Air Suspension Today by Nobody: 7:24pm On Apr 26, 2015
bayooz:

Not at all sir. I replaced all parts with OEM recommended parts. It is just that the airbag in the air suspension is the most criminal and expensive of GX470 parts. Hence in the United States, there is mass [b]swapping with coil springs without regret[/b]s.
I do have other smaller cars.

An excellent swap and I salute you.

This is done for most vehicles with air suspensions here in the US once they are out of warranty.

Enjoy your vehicle.

4 Likes

Re: I Replaced Gx470 Faulty Air Suspension Today by Nobody: 7:33pm On Apr 26, 2015
This is for a LX460

http://www.suncoreindustries.com/LEXUS-GX460-suspension.php

Guys, lighten up, I suggest that we should encourage sensible swaps like this.

I personally hope to see more of these types of work.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: I Replaced Gx470 Faulty Air Suspension Today by Nobody: 7:39pm On Apr 26, 2015
lomomike:

Oga Mikey, I can see the jack stand and hydraulic lifter here. I'm sure there's another set on this side that we can't see.

WhatI think OP is doing is using the small screw jack to lift the axle so they can fit the shock and spring.

At least I hope so because the LX is a huge beyotch and will crush with no mercy grin

Re: I Replaced Gx470 Faulty Air Suspension Today by Nobody: 8:17pm On Apr 26, 2015
CityNG:

Oga Mikey, I can see the jack stand and hydraulic lifter here. I'm sure there's another set on this side that we can't see.

WhatI think OP is doing is using the small screw jack to lift the axle so they can fit the shock and spring.

At least I hope so because the LX is a huge beyotch and will crush with no mercy grin

Oh now I see it.
Re: I Replaced Gx470 Faulty Air Suspension Today by Nobody: 8:21pm On Apr 26, 2015
CityNG:

From the air suspension pictured above, the Toyota 4runner, lexus LX, GX and RX shares same.
Re: I Replaced Gx470 Faulty Air Suspension Today by grimadult(m): 8:28pm On Apr 26, 2015
God bless you for this thread, been wanting to do the swap on mine since December 2014,not just sure how the ride height and feeling would be. please can you give me a breakdown on cost for parts i will appreciate.
Re: I Replaced Gx470 Faulty Air Suspension Today by bayooz(m): 9:45pm On Apr 26, 2015
Like i said earlier. This is GX470. It shares almost the same chassis with Prado GX, 4runner, tundra and sequoia.
Looking through websites abroad, i discovered that many people are no more buying the tubes under GX470 because of its unpredictability.
Hence, there are two choices.
1st Blistein coil springs and shocks (if the shocks are bad)
2nd Coil springs from 4runner.
I chose the 2nd choice since my shocks are OK.
When GX470 is fully balanced and in normal mode the pressure balloons stand at 1.5inch height. So, you lose nothing with the 1.5 inch coil springs. It is 6 step coil spring.
With industrial jack, we lifted one side up and removed the tire. We parked up the side, remove the tire,and disconnected the shock and removed the balloon. Replacing instantly with the coil spring, connected back the shock wire harness and fixed back the tire.
We did same for the other side. Good to go.
The small jack you see was used to free in the coil springs.
i could recollect that both springs cost #8000.
Workmanship #2000.
i supervised everything with the steps downloaded from websites. grin

4 Likes

Re: I Replaced Gx470 Faulty Air Suspension Today by bayooz(m): 9:49pm On Apr 26, 2015
grimadult:
God bless you for this thread, been wanting to do the swap on mine since December 2014,not just sure how the ride height and feeling would be. please can you give me a breakdown on cost for parts i will appreciate.
My brother, the ride height is not affected, the feeling is better, the speed and maneuverability is better than before. I have no single regret. I have lead foot. And i enjoy maximum speed on good road. On rough roads, the SUV still performs her job excellently.
I don't just take decision on anything like this.
I believe in empirical data. I spent almost two months on gathering evidence on the practicability of this project.

5 Likes

Re: I Replaced Gx470 Faulty Air Suspension Today by Marpol: 4:17pm On May 04, 2015
@OP what year is your GX470 please.
Re: I Replaced Gx470 Faulty Air Suspension Today by bakila: 12:23am On May 09, 2015
Op, please why did you get the parts?
Re: I Replaced Gx470 Faulty Air Suspension Today by bayooz(m): 10:43pm On May 10, 2015
Marpol:
@OP what year is your GX470 please.
It is 2005 GX470 Lexus SUV

bakila:
Op, please why did you get the parts?
I believe you are asking where I get the parts.
I just sourced for 2003/2004 coil springs in Ladipo market in Ikeja axis of Lagos.
Re: I Replaced Gx470 Faulty Air Suspension Today by AutoCarTracker(m): 11:59pm On May 10, 2015
bayooz:
You will not be able to make use of the Toyota's variable suspension and lifting mechanism to adapt to different terrains. Its just a technology used by Toyota to lift or reduce the Ride height of the SUV, in modern vehicles now, its almost in all of them, when you look at the buttons at your gear shift stick, which you use to control the air suspension, when you press it; it won't work again. Still keep looking for it, if am to recommend a foreign company that deals on OEM parts the shipping will be quite outrageous but their prices are moderate.
Re: I Replaced Gx470 Faulty Air Suspension Today by scopio2005: 7:26am On Jul 03, 2015
I am tired of this gx470 suspension issues.. I av decided to covert it to coil springs today....customers Don't care about weather it goes up or come down, they only care there car I drivable... Coil spring it is.. wink
Re: I Replaced Gx470 Faulty Air Suspension Today by psych1: 6:48am On Jul 04, 2015
scopio2005:
I am tired of this gx470 suspension issues.. I av decided to covert it to coil springs today....customers Don't care about weather it goes up or come down, they only care there car I drivable... Coil spring it is.. wink
You are very correct. The desire of any buyer apart from reliability and aesthetics is drivability of the vehicle.
Re: I Replaced Gx470 Faulty Air Suspension Today by wura2020: 10:31pm On Nov 30, 2015
bayooz:

My brother, the ride height is not affected, the feeling is better, the speed and maneuverability is better than before. I have no single regret. I have lead foot. And i enjoy maximum speed on good road. On rough roads, the SUV still performs her job excellently.
I don't just take decision on anything like this.
I believe in empirical data. I spent almost two months on gathering evidence on the practicability of this project.

@Bayoz. How is your ride after the swap? I am contemplating changing to coil spring but will appreciate if you can confirm the drivability since you swapped.
Re: I Replaced Gx470 Faulty Air Suspension Today by Kenchukky(m): 7:21pm On Dec 22, 2015
Please can i get a full detail of how you went about it. Where to get the coil, the mechanic to handle it etc. Phone numbers please if possible. Thanks alot

2 Likes

(1) (2) (Reply)

This, This Or This / Why Do Lagos Motorists Drive With Headlamps On In Broad-day Light!! / 7 Fantastic Ways To Keep Your Old Car Running Strong

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 69
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.