Nairaland Forum

Welcome, Guest: Join Nairaland / Login / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 1236398 members, 1645466 topics. Date: Saturday, 19 April 2014 at 01:24 PM

The Disgusting Level Of Tribalism (Negative Connotation) On Nairaland - Ethnic/Racial Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Ethnic/Racial Politics / The Disgusting Level Of Tribalism (Negative Connotation) On Nairaland (1375 Views)

The Open Show Of Tribalism By Nairaland Admin / The Cost Of Tribalism On NAIRALAND / Literacy Level Of Nigerians: Lagos tops, South South, South East best regions (1) (2) (3) (4)

(0) (1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Disgusting Level Of Tribalism (Negative Connotation) On Nairaland by H2O2: 7:52pm On Dec 02, 2008
I have never come across as much tribalism in person among Nigerian ethnics as I do on this forum. The level of tribalism here is just nauseating and disgusting.

A lot of people here are closet tribalists in actuality but come online to blow off steam.

cry
Re: The Disgusting Level Of Tribalism (Negative Connotation) On Nairaland by ChinenyeN(m): 8:07pm On Dec 02, 2008
I'm still confused over the way people here use the word Tribalism. The definition I'm familair with doesn't fit the way that the people here use the term.
Re: The Disgusting Level Of Tribalism (Negative Connotation) On Nairaland by DavidDylan(m): 8:08pm On Dec 02, 2008
ChinenyeN:

I'm still confused over the way people here use the word Tribalism. The definition I'm familair with doesn't fit the way that the people here use the term.

God bless you. Some folks need to collect their school fees back.
Re: The Disgusting Level Of Tribalism (Negative Connotation) On Nairaland by RedHotChic(f): 8:11pm On Dec 02, 2008
God bless you. Some folks need to collect their school fees back.

grin grin grin grin grin They don't give cash back in tuition cheesy cheesy cheesy
Re: The Disgusting Level Of Tribalism (Negative Connotation) On Nairaland by Okija_juju(m): 8:22pm On Dec 02, 2008
Which bush tribe dose H2O2 come from sef?? angry tongue
Re: The Disgusting Level Of Tribalism (Negative Connotation) On Nairaland by SeanT21(f): 10:31pm On Dec 02, 2008
I see nothing wrong with Tribalism.

"A strong sense of identity with one’s ethnic group, tribe or nation."

"The condition of being tribal; A feeling of identity and loyalty to one's tribe"

"tribal consciousness and loyalty ; especially : exaltation of the tribe above other groups"
Re: The Disgusting Level Of Tribalism (Negative Connotation) On Nairaland by lucabrasi(m): 12:08am On Dec 03, 2008
@post
i agree there s a high level of tribal bashing/tribalism on nland, however i think it has a lot to do with our past experiences as a country, civil war,the coups e.t.c plus the leadership question that has been beleaguring nigeria right from independence,being the most populous black nation has not helped neither has oil
Re: The Disgusting Level Of Tribalism (Negative Connotation) On Nairaland by H2O2: 12:46am On Dec 03, 2008
yeah thanks. keyword: level . some people just don't know how to read.
Re: The Disgusting Level Of Tribalism (Negative Connotation) On Nairaland by Nobody: 5:13am On Dec 03, 2008
H2O2:

I have never come across as much tribalism in person among Nigerian ethnics as I do on this forum. The level of tribalism here is just nauseating and disgusting.

A lot of people here are closet tribalists in actuality but come online to blow off steam.

cry
I understand where you're coming from jare.
Never in my life have I seen such . . . .such. . . .I can't even find a word to describe it.
Why does Nigeria not work? Why should it if one tribe cannot even stand the other?
Re: The Disgusting Level Of Tribalism (Negative Connotation) On Nairaland by bawomolo(m): 5:31am On Dec 03, 2008
SeanT21:

I see nothing wrong with Tribalism.

"A strong sense of identity with one’s ethnic group, tribe or nation."

"The condition of being tribal; A feeling of identity and loyalty to one's tribe"

"tribal consciousness and loyalty ; especially : exaltation of the tribe above other groups"

it's one thing to be proud one's identity, it's another the think of other identities as "419", "almajiri", "ewu" and so on .

why should one ethnic group be exalted over the other?
Re: The Disgusting Level Of Tribalism (Negative Connotation) On Nairaland by SeanT21(f): 5:41am On Dec 03, 2008
bawomolo:

it's one thing to be proud one's identity, it's another the think of other identities as "419", "almajiri", "ewu" and so on .

Each Person is gonna exalt their tribe over the other.Its HUMAN NATURE TO DO SO!!
Re: The Disgusting Level Of Tribalism (Negative Connotation) On Nairaland by ChinenyeN(m): 5:50am On Dec 03, 2008
bawomolo:

You're right, it is another thing to think like that, but I hope you're not confusing it with tribalism. Thinking of a group with some kind of broad, oversimplified label isn't tribalsm. It's just being stereotypical, if I'm not mistaking.

bawomolo:

What's wrong with exalting one group over another? I'm asking because the question you asked seems rather vague. There's alot that goes into exalting one group over another. Your question encompasses so many different possibilities that a solid answer to the question itself cannot account for all those possibilities. So it wouldn't benefit anyone to give an answer to the question. An answer would only lead to more questions. So could you be specific?
Re: The Disgusting Level Of Tribalism (Negative Connotation) On Nairaland by bawomolo(m): 6:18am On Dec 03, 2008
ChinenyeN:

You're right, it is another thing to think like that, but I hope you're not confusing it with tribalism. Thinking of a group with some kind of broad, oversimplified label isn't tribalsm. It's just being stereotypical, if I'm not mistaking.

What's wrong with exalting one group over another? I'm asking because the question you asked seems rather vague. There's alot that goes into exalting one group over another. Your question encompasses so many different possibilities that a solid answer to the question itself cannot account for all those possibilities. So it wouldn't benefit anyone to give an answer to the question. An answer would only lead to more questions. So could you be specific?

what you are doing is playing with words. ethnocentrism is fueled by stereotypes.

what makes an ethnic group better than the other as a WHOLE? ethnicity is an ascribed status and not an achieved status. so why should it be a bragging right?
Re: The Disgusting Level Of Tribalism (Negative Connotation) On Nairaland by JJYOU: 6:39am On Dec 03, 2008
RedHotChic:

grin grin grin grin grin They don't give cash back in tuition cheesy cheesy cheesy
trust my aunty to give her quota
Re: The Disgusting Level Of Tribalism (Negative Connotation) On Nairaland by ChinenyeN(m): 7:05am On Dec 03, 2008
bawomolo:

what you are doing is playing with words. ethnocentrism is fueled by stereotypes.

I don't mean to argue with you on the topic at all. I just want to fully understand. Also, I'm not playing with words. I'm being exact so that way there will be less ambiguity. I'm not a fan of ambiguity. Now, to address the bolded statement. . . Large issues are fueld by smaller issues. So rather than condemning the larger issue, why not focus on the smaller issue? In this case, stop condemning ethnocentrism, when the focus should be on reducing, or if possible (which I doubt) eliminating stereotypes. I don't understand why people get so worked up over things like this. If they understood that justice is better achieved when the source is identified and dealt with properly, then there wouldn't be so many problems (at least, that's what I think).

bawomolo:

what makes an ethnic group better than the other as a WHOLE? ethnicity is an ascribed status and not an achieved status. so why should it be a bragging right?

Achievement in the context that the ethnicities are in is what we can use to judge which ethnic group is better as a whole. Also, to reply to the second part ("ethnicity is an ascribed [. . .] should it be a bragging right?"wink. My response is, no one is making it a bragging right. If anyone is bragging, then that individual is being ethnocentric. That is different from making a judgement as to which is better as a whole. So if one ethnicity achieves more as a whole as compared to a different ethnicity (all determined by the context the two ethnicities are in, of course), then I don't see any reason as to why the ethnicity that achieves more as a whole should not be exalted in comparison to the other ethnicity. It's like two different departments of a company.

Say we take your definition of "ascribed status" (and ascribed is also a somewhat broad term, put in different contexts, the definition tends to slightly differ) and apply it to departments in a company. Wouldn't we say that it would be alright to exalt the advertising department of a company over the managerial depertment, if the advertising department managed to effectively utilize their resources/budget and do their job as opposed to the managerial department which did not do so well and was unable to effectively use their budget to produce enough of the product to sell? Of course. We can always commend the more productive, efficient department because it was effective in the context that it was in. So, I don't see any reason as to why we cannot exalt one ethnicity over another.

This is just my take on the whole issue. I'm not try to sway anyone into thinking anything. I'm really only addressing the issue of Tribalism (and other things associated with it) in regards to how I see it being used here in Nairaland. So no offense meant to anyone. I'm not trying to provoke anyone into anything (be it anger, a debate, heated discussion, whatever it may be).
Re: The Disgusting Level Of Tribalism (Negative Connotation) On Nairaland by Jarus(m): 8:13am On Dec 03, 2008
bawomolo:

Well said. I see nothing wrong in identifying with and being proud of one's tribe but what I have problem with is blindly criticising other tribes. This is why, despite being a and proudly identifying with Yoruba, I have refused to join the widespread demonising of Hausas and Ibos. You can abuse the IBBs, the Abachas, the Ojukwus, the Kano rioters, etc but to make an across-the-board evil generalization about certain tribe is what I'm against.
Re: The Disgusting Level Of Tribalism (Negative Connotation) On Nairaland by RichyBlacK(m): 8:42am On Dec 03, 2008
SeanT21:

Each Person is going to exalt their tribe over the other.Its HUMAN NATURE TO DO SO!!

Please speak for yourself!

Just say: "I am going to exalt my tribe over others". This view that your tribe is "better" or "superior" to other tribes is one of the reasons Adolf Hitler killed so many "non-Aryans"! I'll suggest you go do some reading and educate yourself on the consequences of the statement you made.

It is accurate to assume that at your (self-owned) business you'll seek out and hire ONLY people from your tribe, and if you can't fill some positions with your "superior" tribesmen, then you'll grudgingly employ someone from another tribe (doesn't matter which tribe it is, after all they're all "inferior" to yours) and manage the person as a temp until you get someone from your "special" tribe to fill that position too!

Facts:
1. Your tribe is no better than any other tribe!
2. Even if you disagree, then any objective assessment will probably put your tribe at the bottom of the rung!
3. If you think your tribe is superior to ALL the other tribes in this world, then you're living in self-delusion stirred into self-denial!

Thank you.
Re: The Disgusting Level Of Tribalism (Negative Connotation) On Nairaland by ow11(m): 2:35pm On Dec 03, 2008
RichyBlacK:

Facts:
1. Your tribe is no better than any other tribe!
2. Even if you disagree, then any objective assessment will probably put your tribe at the bottom of the rung!
3. If you think your tribe is superior to ALL the other tribes in this world, then you're living in self-delusion stirred into self-denial!

Thank you.

Well said!

Don't mind Nigerians, judging people based on the language they speak rather than the words spoken!
Re: The Disgusting Level Of Tribalism (Negative Connotation) On Nairaland by Nnenna1(f): 7:36pm On Dec 03, 2008
Why decide to nitpick the posters choice of words? You know what he meant, sheesh!

@OP, the penchant for tribe-bashing is typical of Nairaland, unfortunately. Most of my Nigerian friends don't do this (unless to tease, joke around in good sport). Makes me wonder whether our jabs aren't just for fun. The anonymity afforded on the internet exposes our true nature.
Re: The Disgusting Level Of Tribalism (Negative Connotation) On Nairaland by ChinenyeN(m): 8:52pm On Dec 03, 2008
Nnenna1:

Why decide to nitpick the posters choice of words? You know what he meant, sheesh!

Well. . . I assume this is directed at me. So I'll reply. I decided to be nitpicky about the choice of words because I want to be exact. Of course I know what he meant. I just wanted to know exactly what he meant. This is a serious issue and I'm treating it as such (mainly for myself; clarification and understanding on my part). I'm doing so because I see myself as tribalistic. If someone were to ask me if am a tribalist, I would answer yes, based on what I know about tribalism (and all other things associated with it). But when I do, people tell me that I'm a bad person and I just don't understand what exactly people are looking at and where exactly their coming from. That's why I'm being picky and exact when it comes to words. To understand for myself what exactly people think, associate and know tribalism (and all other things assicated with it) to be. It helps remove/reduce ambiguity. Removal/reduction ambiguity is a good thing and is necessary for a serious issue. Less ambiguity means a more likely chance for someone to develop a better understanding of the issue at hand.

I like to understand things. So I like to remove as much ambiguity as possible from whatever I want to better understand. That's just me though. Some people may not care, but I do (for my own benefit, if nothing else).
Re: The Disgusting Level Of Tribalism (Negative Connotation) On Nairaland by ~smurf(f): 10:18pm On Dec 03, 2008
Its very unfortunate lipsrsealed
Re: The Disgusting Level Of Tribalism (Negative Connotation) On Nairaland by MP007(m): 11:06pm On Dec 03, 2008
u probably think every igbo fellas can die because of money and u may also think that anybody from the west(yoruba) is dirty , and may i add, not all hausa / fulani are uneducated, undecided
Re: The Disgusting Level Of Tribalism (Negative Connotation) On Nairaland by ChinenyeN(m): 11:43pm On Dec 03, 2008
MP007:

u probably think every igbo fellas can die because of money and u may also think that anybody from the west(yoruba) is dirty , and may i add, not all hausa / fulani are uneducated, undecided

Is this directed at me?
Re: The Disgusting Level Of Tribalism (Negative Connotation) On Nairaland by H2O2: 12:21am On Dec 04, 2008
Chienvye, even if you are nitpicky, the truth still stands.

You cannot just dismiss the divisive and tragic repercussions of being tribalistic-to-a-fault.
People hide behind this same idea of "ethnocentrism" or "loyalty to their group" to blindly pursue their "my tribe is better than yours" agenda that escalate into genocide,  mass executions [Hitler Style], hate groups, things of that nature . . .
Hardcore ethnocentrism has to be one of the leading causes of ethnic discriminations, period.
Re: The Disgusting Level Of Tribalism (Negative Connotation) On Nairaland by ChinenyeN(m): 12:42am On Dec 04, 2008
H2O2:

People hide behind this same idea "ethnocentrism" or "loyalty to their group" to blindly pursue their "my tribe is better than yours" agenda that escalate into genocide,  mass executions [Hitler Style], hate groups like the KKK, things of that nature . . .
Hardcore ethnocentrism has to be one of the leading causes of ethnic discriminations, period.

For the record, if I'm not mistaking, Hitler wasn't even ethnically German. He wasn't exhibiting ethnocentrism. He just didn't like Jews and Germany needed a scapegoat for her problems. Now, to address the post. . . Those are extreme cases and are only a fraction of those that are truely Tribalistic. Ethnocentrism and other related actions are tribalism taken to the extreme (something I can define as "Bad Tribalism" -- Tribalism in excess ). Ethnocentrism is also the leading cause of ethnic discrimination. So in essence, what it seems like some people here are saying is that Tribalism is bad because [a few] people take it over board. Is my understanding correct?
Re: The Disgusting Level Of Tribalism (Negative Connotation) On Nairaland by Nobody: 12:54am On Dec 04, 2008
ChinenyeN:

For the record, if I'm not mistaking, Hitler wasn't even ethnically German. He wasn't exhibiting ethnocentrism. He just didn't like Jews and Germany needed a scapegoat for her problems. Now, to address the post. . . Those are extreme cases and are only a fraction of those that are truely Tribalistic. Ethnocentrism and other related actions are tribalism taken to the extreme (something I can define as "Bad Tribalism" -- Tribalism in excess ). Ethnocentrism is also the leading cause of ethnic discrimination. So in essence, what it seems like some people here are saying is that Tribalism is bad because [a few] people take it over board. Is my understanding correct?
Your point still does not change the fact that there are closet tribalist on this forum.

I've never seen such ridiculousness.

I still don't understand how the bashing of other tribes/states makes your own tribe superior. Don't get it!
Re: The Disgusting Level Of Tribalism (Negative Connotation) On Nairaland by ChinenyeN(m): 1:10am On Dec 04, 2008
Ebony-Silk:

Your point still does not change the fact that there are closet tribalist on this forum.

I've never seen such ridiculousness.

I still don't understand how the bashing of other tribes/states makes your own tribe superior. Don't get it!

I'm still confused as to how you're using the term tribalist. How can someone be a closet tribalist?

I also never said that the bashing of other ethnicities makes your ethnicity superior. It doesn't work that way. Bashing other ethnicities does not make your ethnicity superior. Aside from that, if there a few people that are excess tribalist, then focus on those people and not tribalism. Tribalism isn't a bad thing in and of itself. It's the things that people do in the name of tribalism (due to them having excess tribalism) that are bad. So if someone has a problem, they should take it up with the person in question, rather than pointing accusing fingers at an abstract concept. That's just what I think though.
Re: The Disgusting Level Of Tribalism (Negative Connotation) On Nairaland by Nobody: 1:16am On Dec 04, 2008
ChinenyeN:

I'm still confused as to how you're using the term tribalist. How can someone be a closet tribalist?
In MY terms, a closet tribalist is one who denies being a tribalist but yet finds it easy to bash other tribe, most times, it's because of jealousy, fear, or lack of understanding. Like I said before, ignorance is not bliss.

ChinenyeN:

I also never said that the bashing of other ethnicities makes your ethnicity superior.
I never said you did. I was just saying, I don't get it.

ChinenyeN:

Tribalism isn't a bad thing in and of itself. It's the things that people do in the name of tribalism (due to them having excess tribalism) that are bad. So if someone has a problem, they should take it up with the person in question, rather than pointing accusing fingers at an abstract concept. That's just what I think though.
exactly smiley
Re: The Disgusting Level Of Tribalism (Negative Connotation) On Nairaland by ChinenyeN(m): 1:21am On Dec 04, 2008
Oh okay. Well, at least we're on the same page now. I would like to add though that bashing other tribes is independent of tribalism. They is no definitive connection between the two. There are tribalists that don't bash other tribes (I am an example of that). Anyway, I'm glad that I'm finally on the same page with someone here on Nairaland. I think I can now begin to understand where some people may be coming from. Although, I'm still not 100% sure.
Re: The Disgusting Level Of Tribalism (Negative Connotation) On Nairaland by Nobody: 1:23am On Dec 04, 2008
ChinenyeN:

Oh okay. Well, at least we're on the same page now. I would like to add though that bashing other tribes is independent of tribalism. They is no definitive connection between the two. There are tribalists that don't bash other tribes (I am an example of that). Anyway, I'm glad that I'm finally on the same page with someone here on Nairaland. I think I can now begin to understand where some people may be coming from. Although, I'm still not 100% sure.
Plz, expatiate on the bolded part.
Re: The Disgusting Level Of Tribalism (Negative Connotation) On Nairaland by ChinenyeN(m): 1:43am On Dec 04, 2008
Tribalism, by definition, is loyalty to one's ethnicity. Someone that is just a tribalist (e.g. myself), just has loyalty to his or her ethnicity. Things that someone who is just a tribalist would do are. . . He or she will try to definitely attend his or her ethnic meetings. He or she would be thoroughly satisfied with being from that ethnicity. He or she is active or tries to contribute in some way to the betterment of the ethnicity or homeland. He or she would do what he or she can to preserve and pass on things related to his or her ethnicity. Those are just to name a few. Those are examples of how an average tribalist might act. Note that none of the above involve bashing someone elses ethnicity. It does not involve thinking of one's ethnicity as superior to others. It does not mean that one will not be civil and friendly with others from different ethnicities.

Ethnic bashing is independent of tribalism. Ethnic bashing is usually as a result of someone thinking of their ethnicity as superior and putting others down. Ethnic bashing is also as a result of oversimplified concepts and labels (stereotypes) that are attached to a specific ethnic group. Ethnic bashing can also result from someone having a bad experience with someone or some people from that ethnicity, and then irrationally seeing others of that ethnic group in that light. Ethnic bashing is independent of tribalism.
Re: The Disgusting Level Of Tribalism (Negative Connotation) On Nairaland by Nobody: 1:50am On Dec 04, 2008
ChinenyeN:

Tribalism, by definition, is loyalty to one's ethnicity. Someone that is just a tribalist (e.g. myself), just has loyalty to his or her ethnicity. Things that someone who is just a tribalist would do are. . . He or she will try to definitely attend his or her ethnic meetings. He or she would be thoroughly satisfied with being from that ethnicity. He or she is active or tries to contribute in some way to the betterment of the ethnicity or homeland. He or she would do what he or she can to preserve and pass on things related to his or her ethnicity. Those are just to name a few. Those are examples of how an average tribalist might act. Note that none of the above involve bashing someone elses ethnicity. It does not involve thinking of one's ethnicity as superior to others. It does not mean that one will not be civil and friendly with others from different ethnicities.

Ethnic bashing is independent of tribalism. Ethnic bashing is usually as a result of someone thinking of their ethnicity as superior and putting others down. Ethnic bashing is also as a result of oversimplified concepts and labels (stereotypes) that are attached to a specific ethnic group. Ethnic bashing can also result from someone having a bad experience with someone or some people from that ethnicity, and then irrationally seeing others of that ethnic group in that light. Ethnic bashing is independent of tribalism.
So in another words, you think the word "tribalist" is being misused and should be replaced with ethnic bashing?
If you agree with me, does tribalism not lead to ethnic bashing? So why should we still indulge in being "tribal"?

And I do agree with your post. Quite true, I must say.

(0) (1) (2) (Reply)

Photo Of Ijebu Ode. What An Underdeveloped Town / Ohaneze Ndigbo Draws Attention To Outbreak Of Psychosis In Igboland / Where Is Tpia? I Haven't Seen Her "unwashed" Butt On The Board In A Minute

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (0) (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2014 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See Nairalist and How To Advertise
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.