Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,944 members, 7,806,728 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 10:01 PM

Driving Experience -Doing The Right Thing At The Right Time And Place - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Driving Experience -Doing The Right Thing At The Right Time And Place (606 Views)

Did I Do The Right Thing In This Situation?? / Did He Do The Right Thing By Keeping QUIET? / When Is The Right Time To Get Married? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Driving Experience -Doing The Right Thing At The Right Time And Place by esere826: 12:51pm On Dec 05, 2014
I'll tell a little story and then give the lessons learnt
Re: Driving Experience -Doing The Right Thing At The Right Time And Place by esere826: 12:55pm On Dec 05, 2014
Starting my motoring career

I was an old teenager when my dad finally allowed me to drive solo
the cars that were earmarked for me were the two notoriously aged and unattractive ones
the only thing sound about them was that with a little tap on the engines
the cars would easily rev back to live
even if they had spent a 100 years buried undisturbed in a dungeon

An added advantage of the cars was that some small girls wen prefer small boys were not entirely put off by the cars
after all, we no plenty wen be dey drive motto at that age
Re: Driving Experience -Doing The Right Thing At The Right Time And Place by esere826: 12:57pm On Dec 05, 2014
Like a fly attracted to burning light

Although my dad had warned me not to ever drive on the Express abi na High way road
I soon found it irresistible to avoid it especially as I could cut out a lot of traffic in the inner city road fi I use the Express

On this particular day, I carefully inched past my dad's office area
which was located in the inner city, but close to the express.
glancing at all side mirrors to check that I had not been spotted by any of his overzealous staff
I soon navigated unto the express and started my journey
Re: Driving Experience -Doing The Right Thing At The Right Time And Place by esere826: 12:59pm On Dec 05, 2014
Milk of human kindness

My music box was booming loud, and my smile was as etched on my face as that of the Joker in Batman movie
As I dey blow dey go,
I saw a car afar of trafficating its intention to enter the express road from the feeder road where it was

...Now, read this carefully

On the one hand, I felt like doing the normal blocking the car from entry unto my path on the express
on the other hand, I felt like being a kind xtian. The kindness took control
So I slowed down almost to a complete halt to let the car come unto the express.

The driver of the car got unto the express and waved to me gratefully as he sped off.
I waved back thinking how I had done a good deed

Within seconds of this event, a car behind me horned noisily indicating that it wanted to overtake
Still in a good mood I gave way for the car to overtake me.
When the driver pulled close to me so that I could see his face just acrross me
He shouted out to me but in a very kind and understanding tone:

"Dem no dey do kindness 'brake' for express road"

He continued past me.

He's statement confused me for a long while
Re: Driving Experience -Doing The Right Thing At The Right Time And Place by esere826: 1:05pm On Dec 05, 2014
the dawning

Back home, It struck me what the guy meant, and the implication of what I did
In the express unlike normal inter town roads, you can't come to a halt just like that
..it is extremely dangerous

In my attempt at trying to be good to another driver, I had put the precious life of my dad's son (na me be that grin) at risk
I had also put the life of others using the express road behind me at risk.
Re: Driving Experience -Doing The Right Thing At The Right Time And Place by esere826: 1:20pm On Dec 05, 2014
Lesson's Learnt

Till date, I hear that driver's voice warning me.
Sometimes when I try to do good or a fulfil a christian virtue, I spend some fraction of time thinking of who my 'good' could possibly hurt

What about you?
1) You dey plan to carry belle for that man wen say im never ready to marry or born pikin.
...You hurting an unborn child and the daddy

2) You say you want to glorify God, and happily paste unverified videos of healing on youtube which suggests that HIV comes from not paying first fruit offerings and that one become HIV-proof when he pays such offerings.
...You end up hurting ignorant folks who are deceived to think that paying tithes and offerings is the new condom

3) You don't want your wife to 'suffer'. So you persuade her not to work. And now there you are unable to take care of her and the kids.
...You're doing great damage to your kid's confidence amongst their peers

4) You are upset that GEJ a southerner usurped your rotation agreement. So you started a fire in your own house that you and Jonathan cannot now quench
...You're doing a great damage to your youths that might last for many generations to come

5) You give your kids everything they ask for and restrain from disciplining them.
....you're hurting their ability to survive in the real world when they come of age

6) To safeguard your president from ariel attacks in the airport. You ensure that 10's of planes are hovering around not granted permission to land.
...You're putting the lives of 100's at risk
Re: Driving Experience -Doing The Right Thing At The Right Time And Place by San2ski(m): 2:47pm On Dec 05, 2014
Sound instruction, with a big dose of useful humor grin

(1) (Reply)

My Gateman Is The Owner Of My New Born Baby / Long Or Short Manhood, Always Thank God. / What A Woman Wants

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 18
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.