Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,398 members, 7,808,429 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 11:48 AM

Nigerian Man In UK Scams Women Of £100,000 ( Photo ) - Crime - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Crime / Nigerian Man In UK Scams Women Of £100,000 ( Photo ) (34492 Views)

17-Year-Old Girl Sells Her Baby In Onitsha For N500,000 (Photo) / Robbers Attack Inspector, Steal N50,000(photo) / Masquerades In Police Net For Robbing Trader Of N57,000 (Photo) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigerian Man In UK Scams Women Of £100,000 ( Photo ) by lalasticlala(m): 10:51pm On Dec 05, 2014
A Nigerian man, Adewale Adewole based in the UK, is now facing jail time after admitting to four-count charges of fraud, Daily Mail reports.

Adewole is said to have used a picture of an actual Royal Marine Commando called Joshua McGowan, as his display picture.

Sources say he told the women he had been robbed at his “orphanage,” and so they sent him money and paid his bills. Unknown to them, Adewole was diverting the money into his wife’s bank account. He also spent the money on expensive designer clothes, iPads, and TVs.

Investigations revealed that whenever he set up dates with the women, he would never show up.

Prosecutor, Charlotte Brandon told the court.

The married father of two allegedly scammed the women out of almost £100,000 after pretending to be a Royal Marine on Match.com, named Timmy Francis, who owned an orphanage in Africa. On one of his profiles, he had the nickname ‘Charismatic Brit,’ and on the other, ‘To live and love.’ He claimed he was looking for love.

“‘Adewale told the women that on a trip to Africa, he was the victim of a crime and needed money. The crime meant he could not access his own funds.

He said they would get their money back and would be sent letters from the World Health Organisation to show that he would be able to pay them.

These letters were sent, but from an M30 Manchester postmark. He also sent them links to websites which, when logging in with details he gave them, appeared to show that he had a huge bank balance and would eventually be able to pay them back.

One woman was asked to pay for a hotel for him.

When she rang the number he gave her for the hotel, they also confirmed the information and she agreed to pay it.

She later received a cheque addressed to him for £35,000 to prove he had money, but this was later discovered to be a stolen cheque forged in his own handwriting.

Over a number of months, each woman transferred significant sums of money via bank accounts and Western Union moneygrams and sent items to the defendant’s home address.

They bought electronic items, took out credit cards and loans and bought clothes from Next.

When police searched his house in 2012, they found a digital camera, which had been purchased by one of his victims. It contained pictures of the accused, along with his wife and children. They also found several SIM cards in his wallet, which contained the women’s contact information.

He was also in possession of two Blackberry phones which had three different email accounts linked to the two Match.com accounts. In addition, £4,500 was found under his bed. He was subsequently arrested.

However, Adewale has denied the allegations, and has blamed the fraud on his flatmate Samson Ajayi. He told police that Ajayi had told him to help him transfer money to his relatives. He also claims that he vaguely remembers using match.com.

“The fraud was Samson’s idea. I got involved because I had a few financial difficulties at the time.

“I did not speak with the complainants. I did not know money was being sent to Nigeria but I knew it was being sent to my bank account and my wife’s bank account.

“I do not know where Samson is at the moment. He travels a lot. I have no idea about the details of this fraud. I didn’t even know how many victims there were.

“But I pleaded guilty because if I had not let my bank account or flat be used, these women would not have suffered in the way that they did.

“Samson said he was expecting some money. He said he had no bank accounts to receive the money so I wanted to help him. He was owing me rent at the time and this was the only way he could pay me”, he said.

The court hearings are still ongoing.

http://dailypost.ng/2014/12/05/nigerian-man-uk-scams-women-100000/

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Man In UK Scams Women Of £100,000 ( Photo ) by Nobody: 11:10pm On Dec 05, 2014
So fúcking annoying. angry

It's stuffs like this that encourages the western world to harass and ill treat us, when we show up with our passport at their airports & soil.

39 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigerian Man In UK Scams Women Of £100,000 ( Photo ) by Nobody: 11:22pm On Dec 05, 2014
God have exposed you.

7 Likes

Re: Nigerian Man In UK Scams Women Of £100,000 ( Photo ) by dmjinc(m): 11:23pm On Dec 05, 2014
shocked shocked

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Man In UK Scams Women Of £100,000 ( Photo ) by Nmeri17: 1:27am On Dec 06, 2014
Why always us?? cry

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigerian Man In UK Scams Women Of £100,000 ( Photo ) by Celepope: 1:29am On Dec 06, 2014
These people don start again? Na wa for them ...o

18 Likes

Re: Nigerian Man In UK Scams Women Of £100,000 ( Photo ) by musicwriter(m): 1:30am On Dec 06, 2014
Is this the only way Brits pay for their crimes in Africa?. Oh!, I so much love the law of karma.

11 Likes

Re: Nigerian Man In UK Scams Women Of £100,000 ( Photo ) by mckoolcharming(m): 1:31am On Dec 06, 2014
Dis guy Ω̴̩̩̩̥¤ try 4 us I swear

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Man In UK Scams Women Of £100,000 ( Photo ) by tefund(m): 1:31am On Dec 06, 2014
he should rot in jail

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Nigerian Man In UK Scams Women Of £100,000 ( Photo ) by Drajah(m): 1:32am On Dec 06, 2014
grin

2 Likes

Re: Nigerian Man In UK Scams Women Of £100,000 ( Photo ) by Baritone(m): 1:32am On Dec 06, 2014
man's wickedness to man.. using Africa and orphanage homes to dupe people that are comppasionate and willing to help.

16 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigerian Man In UK Scams Women Of £100,000 ( Photo ) by Nobody: 1:33am On Dec 06, 2014
We as Nigerians should start asking ourselves why there are so many scammers around. Is it that the creative Nigerian youths are gainfully employed and just prefer scamming to working? Nigeria is the only country in the world where we don't diagnose our problems but only blame each other for what the so called leaders started. The politicians are looting the nation blind and the creative youths see scamming as an alternative to the hard life created by the corrupt system.

I mean, before we even start blaming anyone, go to government offices, starting from the Corporate Affairs Commission, try to register your company without going through a staff and see if you'll be able to register your company name.

Now go to the Nigerian Immigration Office and try to get a passport without witnessing corruption of the highest order. People have turned government offices to their personal pockets and we're surprised that we have fraudsters in our society? Really? What did we expect? That this same system will produce 100% saints?

I know some people will start quoting me and saying there's no excuse bla bla bla, but let's face the truth, so many people depend on scams for their daly living in Nigeria. The society doesn't offer much opportunites and I'm so sorry to say it has become a sort of addiction in our society.

Anyone here who lives in Nigeria and pretends not to know a scammer or two personally is a big liar and a hypocrite. Let us stop the name calling and hold our politicians responsible for what they have encouraged by their theft over the years. Imagine a country that can't even boast of stable electricity, no pipe borne water even in most parts of Lagos. Schools are getting delapitated by the day and you expect the youths to become pastors overnight?

I'm sure some of the hypocrites reading this are busy forging figures with their pens. . . Let he who is without sin be the first to cast the stone.

121 Likes 11 Shares

Re: Nigerian Man In UK Scams Women Of £100,000 ( Photo ) by ibdeals1(m): 1:33am On Dec 06, 2014
Oh these old scam undecided again..

2 Likes

Re: Nigerian Man In UK Scams Women Of £100,000 ( Photo ) by Dahjhi: 1:33am On Dec 06, 2014
Another son of the gun busted... Psweeeeeww.. Olooobuuku.. AmeFrica you can see part of the cause of racism?

5 Likes

Re: Nigerian Man In UK Scams Women Of £100,000 ( Photo ) by KanwuliaJara: 1:34am On Dec 06, 2014
All these "ADEWALE-OLUWOLE" peeps again? grin

See as im breazzzzzts big pass my own?
Over-Fed CROOK! angry

VERRRRRRRRRRRRY sure na one of those LONDON FAT BOYS way dey make noise all over NL! grin
Awon OMO-OSHI!!!! cheesy

29 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigerian Man In UK Scams Women Of £100,000 ( Photo ) by Nobody: 1:35am On Dec 06, 2014
Karma is a Bitccch !!!
Re: Nigerian Man In UK Scams Women Of £100,000 ( Photo ) by ajuwarhodes(f): 1:36am On Dec 06, 2014
9ja men always saying 9ja women are bad!now oyinbo women go show una wella!

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Man In UK Scams Women Of £100,000 ( Photo ) by coogar: 1:36am On Dec 06, 2014
4 years imprisonment for £100,000 fraud?
cheiiiiiii - that's harsh on this dude. he will get out in 2 years & get sent back to lagos.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Man In UK Scams Women Of £100,000 ( Photo ) by Nobody: 1:37am On Dec 06, 2014
olamide-prayer for clients,oluwa funmi clients wey rich like dangote wey go believe all my stories maga must pay do or die

4 Likes

Re: Nigerian Man In UK Scams Women Of £100,000 ( Photo ) by NighttWalker(m): 1:37am On Dec 06, 2014
This is one of the guys are giving Nigerians and Nigeria the wrong image, also brings about racism imagine those women he defrauded find out his Nigerian and black the hate and untrustworthy will begin to build up in them.

Speaking from experience, mine wasn't fraud tho it was charging me almost triple for my haircut (which was my first)

2 Likes

Re: Nigerian Man In UK Scams Women Of £100,000 ( Photo ) by seedorfg(m): 1:39am On Dec 06, 2014
Haba rot in jail, when im no rape or kill. u badt o atleast the samson of a guy never come yarn im own matter na.
Re: Nigerian Man In UK Scams Women Of £100,000 ( Photo ) by cap28: 1:40am On Dec 06, 2014
These Nigerian scammers are just ruining our name all over the world - take a look at this s.tupid Malaysian based scammer being interrogated by Thai police:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Kr4tXgMPTY

7 Likes

Re: Nigerian Man In UK Scams Women Of £100,000 ( Photo ) by AK481(m): 1:40am On Dec 06, 2014
He prefers going to jail than paying back the money.

Who the hell is his imaginary flatmate that travels a lot and has collected all the money?.the guy is a hardened criminal and he is prepared to go to jail without refunding the money.

My only pain is that uk's jail is not like nigerian's gallow

9 Likes

Re: Nigerian Man In UK Scams Women Of £100,000 ( Photo ) by zopaks: 1:40am On Dec 06, 2014
thats bad!
Re: Nigerian Man In UK Scams Women Of £100,000 ( Photo ) by jugbada(m): 1:42am On Dec 06, 2014
Having enough money as such he would have just find his way back

to naija

2 Likes

Re: Nigerian Man In UK Scams Women Of £100,000 ( Photo ) by Aringarosa(m): 1:45am On Dec 06, 2014
I 'm disappointed for real, i was expecting to see names like "Emeka" Okechukwu" "Ugo, cuz i learnt on Nairaland that, they are the only people that likes money. Others are saints...

[size=2pt]Sarcasm[/size]

46 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Nigerian Man In UK Scams Women Of £100,000 ( Photo ) by chillex8(m): 1:46am On Dec 06, 2014
But why na
Re: Nigerian Man In UK Scams Women Of £100,000 ( Photo ) by PROUDIGBO(m): 1:46am On Dec 06, 2014
Am i the only one wondering how young guys -supposedly brought up to know right from wrong- can be so devious and calculating!?

3 Likes

Re: Nigerian Man In UK Scams Women Of £100,000 ( Photo ) by Revolva(m): 1:47am On Dec 06, 2014
grin grin grin grin Maga still dey pay...n will still keep paying boiz....

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Man In UK Scams Women Of £100,000 ( Photo ) by cap28: 1:50am On Dec 06, 2014
Nigerian paedophile scammer nabbed and interrogated by Thai police:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QL4rT9o4Qxc&list=PLsnYF66zMjjJzive5X66_BQYjwxYXsdyq&index=3
Re: Nigerian Man In UK Scams Women Of £100,000 ( Photo ) by Sagamite(m): 1:51am On Dec 06, 2014
Bunsky:
God have exposed you.

So God was sitting on his heavenly arsse until he milked £100K out of people?

5 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Parent Slaps Bully At Abuja British School: Institution Temporarily Shuts Down / CCTV Captures A Lady Who Switched Off Light To Steal Goat Meat (Pix, Video) / Young Man Beheaded In Rivers & His Head Dumped In A Dustbin (Graphic Pics)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 48
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.