Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,455 members, 7,808,619 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 02:22 PM

Breastfeeding While Pregnant, Is It Safe? - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Breastfeeding While Pregnant, Is It Safe? (2389 Views)

Wale Oke: ‘Breastfeeding Is For Babies, Not Husbands’ / Taking Paracetamol While Pregnant Could Harm Baby Boys / When Is The Best Time To Get a woman Pregnant.is It After Or B4 Menses? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Breastfeeding While Pregnant, Is It Safe? by lillyjane(f): 7:17am On Dec 06, 2014
My wonderful people in the house, today’s topic will be centered on breastfeeding mothers. There is this friend of mine that got pregnant while her newborn was just 3months+. Hey, come and see advices coming in, ranging from stop breastfeeding the baby to the baby will die. In fact, the mother practically came to carry the small girl to her house ooo…..thank God for the husband who refused. Oh my! trust our mothers with their old wives tale. The lady in question is still breastfeeding her child till today, exactly 3 months after the whole drama. The baby is still alive, healthy and bouncing while the stomach is showing signs too.

This little narration above will form the basis of our discussion today. Is it safe to continue breastfeeding your little when you are pregnant? The old wives tale is it a fact, fiction or mere superstition?

Yes there are usually lots of bodily and emotional changes when one is pregnant. Nevertheless, you will be able to carry on with breastfeeding because your body will keep making milk for your little one.

If you are healthy and your pregnancy is going well, there is absolutely no reason to discontinue breastfeeding simply because you are pregnant. Just make sure you’re eating a healthy, balanced diet, so you and your baby are getting all the nutrients you need. If you are suffering from pregnancy sickness, just eat whatever you can cope with, though.

When breastfeeding, your body releases a hormone called oxytocin which is responsible for letting milk down. This same oxytocin is also important in labour, but your uterus (womb) won’t react to it until the end of your pregnancy, after 37 weeks. However, you may have sore in your nipple when you breastfeed, this is as a result of hormonal changes during the early stages of pregnancy that makes you have sensitive nipples.
There are few exceptions

If you notice one or more of these symptoms, you may, need to wean your baby before your next baby is born
1) If you have had a miscarriage before,
2) If you have had a premature labour before
3) If you have had some bleeding during pregnancy
4) If you notice that your breast milk has changed back to colostrum. Colostrum is the rich, nourishing fore-milk needed by your new baby in the first few days of life after the birth.

Moreover, your little one will notice the difference in the taste of the breast milk when the colostrum
production starts. Babies do one of these two options, either he decides to wean himself or he may be happy to carry on breastfeeding. If your little one chooses the later, please do not worry about using up your colostrum, as your body will continue to produce it until your new baby needs it.

With these few tips, we have seen that there is no negative effect of breastfeeding while still pregnant.

Have you ever found yourself in this situation? How did you manage it? Share your thought on the subject with us.

http://www..com/breastfeeding-pregnant-safe
Re: Breastfeeding While Pregnant, Is It Safe? by awesomebabe01(f): 10:22am On Dec 06, 2014
It is absolutely safe to breastfeed while pregnant. My first child was just 6months plus when I got pregnant for my boy. I still breastfed the her till 11months. No side effect neither on the mom nor the child.

Nice work though.
Re: Breastfeeding While Pregnant, Is It Safe? by lillyjane(f): 8:45pm On Dec 07, 2014
awesomebabe01:
It is absolutely safe to breastfeed while pregnant. My first child was just 6months plus when I got pregnant for my boy. I still breastfed the her till 11months. No side effect neither on the mom nor the child.

Nice work though.

Thanks for sharing your experience with us.
Re: Breastfeeding While Pregnant, Is It Safe? by impetus: 4:22pm On Dec 16, 2014
but y will someone take in while still nursing a baby?
Re: Breastfeeding While Pregnant, Is It Safe? by Fatima5063: 9:23pm On Dec 25, 2019
Please i need more comments on this... My baby girl is 11 months old and I just discovered that I'm two weeks pregnant today... Trust me I cried for 3 hours straight until I got on the net and searched for answers to my questions about continuing breastfeeding until she's a year and 2 months

(1) (Reply)

Photo: Unsterilised Needle Used By Tattoo Artist On A Lady Affects Her Skin / Done / The Longest Queue I Experienced In UBA Bank Today Due To Corona Virus

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 16
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.