Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,897 members, 7,802,889 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 April 2024 at 01:50 AM

Should We Stop Giving Tithe? - Religion (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Should We Stop Giving Tithe? (20102 Views)

"Stop Giving Offerings In Redeemed Churches If....." - Pastor Adeboye / How Do We Stop Islam ? / Why I Will Not Stop Giving To The Work Of God (part 1) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (19) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Should We Stop Giving Tithe? by eghosaobas: 9:02pm On Mar 15, 2009
we should stop it,its not biblical PERIOD
Re: Should We Stop Giving Tithe? by darksyd: 9:30pm On Mar 16, 2009
It sure is a relief to come across people who truly are on the path to enlightment and breaking away from d norms, Africa has been riddle with dis for too long, spirituality has totally disappeared,and religon is wat is reignin now, the issue is way bigger than tithe or no tithe, evrywhere u go there's one church poppin up ere and dere, u turn on d Tv some new pastor is Advertisin his own mehtod outta d recession,its ridiculously appalling,

TV01, a truth teller is wat u r, ur post is totally inspiring, and Gamine i agree wiv u,unlearnin is 100% harder dan learnin somethng, we nid to shift away from all dis religiousness, and start chasin afta tru sprituality, d AVg nigerian will sin from monday till satday nite,and thnk goin to chrch on sunday wud sort erythng out, and den when dey hear dat some1 doesnt go to chrch dey luk at dem like sinners,
Re: Should We Stop Giving Tithe? by segyemaro(m): 3:02pm On Mar 17, 2009
thats correct my friend.
Re: Should We Stop Giving Tithe? by lornadorne(m): 4:12pm On Mar 17, 2009
GOOD DAY TO US ALL,
PERMIT ME TO TELL TO US THAT IT IS NOT RIGHT FOR US TO STOP GIVING TITHE. WHETHER WE ARE QUOTING DEUTERONOMY OR MALACHI, THE ISSUE IS THAT GOD ORDAINED IT AND SINCE IT IS A COMMAND FROM GOD, WE CANNOT DISOBEY IT ON ANY GROUND,
WHAT I WILL JUST SAY IS THAT LET US REMAIN FAITHFUL TO OUR OWN OBLIGATION AS CHILDREN OF GOD; NOT LETTING ANYBODY CAJOLE US INTO DOING WHAT IS NOT BIBLICAL. IN THE NEAREST DAYS AHEAD GOD IS GOING TO DO JUSTICE AND WE WILL KNOW THOSE WHO ARE REALLY OF HIM,
SHALOM,
JESUS LOVES YOU, HAVE YOU ACCEPTED HIM INTO YOUR LIFE TO BECOME THE KING OF YOUR HEART? IF NOT DO SO NOW,
Re: Should We Stop Giving Tithe? by KunleOshob(m): 4:33pm On Mar 17, 2009
lornadorne:

GOOD DAY TO US ALL,
PERMIT ME TO TELL TO US THAT IT IS NOT RIGHT FOR US TO STOP GIVING TITHE. WHETHER WE ARE QUOTING DEUTERONOMY OR MALACHI, THE ISSUE IS THAT GOD ORDAINED IT AND SINCE IT IS A COMMAND FROM GOD, WE CANNOT DISOBEY IT ON ANY GROUND,
WHAT I WILL JUST SAY IS THAT LET US REMAIN FAITHFUL TO OUR OWN OBLIGATION AS CHILDREN OF GOD; NOT LETTING ANYBODY CAJOLE US INTO DOING WHAT IS NOT BIBLICAL. IN THE NEAREST DAYS AHEAD GOD IS GOING TO DO JUSTICE AND WE WILL KNOW THOSE WHO ARE REALLY OF HIM,
SHALOM,
JESUS LOVES YOU, HAVE YOU ACCEPTED HIM INTO YOUR LIFE TO BECOME THE KING OF YOUR HEART? IF NOT DO SO NOW,
How does the bible define tithe? how is it explained that it should be carried out? (Deut 14:22-29) is there any semblance between what the bible defined and what is being practised in churches today?? That is apart from the fact that christians were specifically asked not to tithe in Hebrews7 : 11,12&18
Re: Should We Stop Giving Tithe? by kolaoloye(m): 4:51pm On Mar 17, 2009
lornadorne:

GOOD DAY TO US ALL,
SHALOM,

Though am not against paying of tithe but answer this simple question:are you doing everything that bible says:
For instance, The bible says that whosoever works on sabbath should be put to death or is that not in the same bible?
Why are you not observing that, moreover Sabbath is Saturday and not Sunday.
Re: Should We Stop Giving Tithe? by KunleOshob(m): 4:56pm On Mar 17, 2009
kola oloye:

Though am not against paying of tithe but answer this simple question:are you doing everything that bible says:
For instance, The bible says that whosoever works on sabbath should be put to death or is that not in the same bible?
Why are you not observing that, moreover Sabbath is Saturday and not Sunday.
Kola you used to be an ardent supporter of tithing, what happened? have you now seen reason in what we've been trying to say?
Re: Should We Stop Giving Tithe? by segyemaro(m): 5:57pm On Mar 17, 2009
it seems kola has now read his bible.
Re: Should We Stop Giving Tithe? by marvisjoy: 9:05pm On Mar 18, 2009
we have said it here times without number that its illegal to give tithes,these pastor brainwashed people to pay it.
Re: Should We Stop Giving Tithe? by segyemaro(m): 7:44pm On Mar 19, 2009
but people has failed to realised this
Re: Should We Stop Giving Tithe? by realpastor: 7:28pm On Mar 22, 2009
if you stop giving tithe,how do you expect us to fund the church?
Re: Should We Stop Giving Tithe? by realpastor: 7:32am On Mar 26, 2009
As for me i dont believe we should stop giving tithe cos that is were the church funding comes from,how much is the offering?were you see people give offering of #5 and #10,dats not enough to fund d church.
Re: Should We Stop Giving Tithe? by KunleOshob(m): 1:53pm On Mar 26, 2009
realpastor:

if you stop giving tithe,how do you expect us to fund the church?
So is it right for the church of God to resort to lies, deceit and manipulation of scriptures just becos you want to fund the church which God didn't ask you to set up in the first instance. If you are really a real pastor go and read the first and second books of timothy to see how Paul instructed a church should be run. Also read the book of titus. The book of acts also as a lot to say about how the early church was organized.
Re: Should We Stop Giving Tithe? by KunleOshob(m): 4:30pm On Mar 26, 2009
More bible lessons for realpastor:

1 Peter 5:1-4:
Advice for Elders and Young Men
1 And now, a word to you who are elders in the churches. I, too, am an elder and a witness to the sufferings of Christ. And I, too, will share in his glory when he is revealed to the whole world. As a fellow elder, I appeal to you: 2 Care for the flock that God has entrusted to you. Watch over it willingly, not grudgingly—not for what you will get out of it, but because you are eager to serve God. 3 Don’t lord it over the people assigned to your care, but lead them by your own good example. 4 And when the Great Shepherd appears, you will receive a crown of never-ending glory and honor.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2 Peter 2:1-3:

The Danger of False Teachers
1 But there were also false prophets in Israel, just as there will be false teachers among you. They will cleverly teach destructive heresies and even deny the Master who bought them. In this way, they will bring sudden destruction on themselves. 2 Many will follow their evil teaching and shameful immorality. And because of these teachers, the way of truth will be slandered. 3[b] In their greed they will make up clever lies[like tithes] to get hold of your money.[/b] But God condemned them long ago, and their destruction will not be delayed.
Re: Should We Stop Giving Tithe? by segyemaro(m): 6:52pm On Mar 26, 2009
Realpastor,are u sure u are realy a pastor?does the bible says a pastor must be a full time? Wont you do another job wit your pastoring than depending on tithe,you dont even care were the tithe was removed,it could be a bribed one or even stolen money,so stop decieving urself.
Re: Should We Stop Giving Tithe? by webbjamie(m): 10:17pm On Mar 27, 2009
God commands us to give our tithes in d book of malachi,just do ur bit n leave d pastor alone, u have obeyed God wat d pastor
does wit d money is between himself and God 2 settle. undecided
Re: Should We Stop Giving Tithe? by lexdino: 11:31pm On Mar 27, 2009
pay your tithe to those who are in need also, not only to men of God.
Re: Should We Stop Giving Tithe? by segyemaro(m): 8:55pm On Mar 28, 2009
Webb jamie,you all including the so called pastors are always quoting from malachi 3,without getting the understanding. Was there any place in the new testament were Jesus commanded us to give Tithe? Even in malachi 3 you are talking about was talking about the Levite and they never mentioned money as tithe,so what are we talking about?
Re: Should We Stop Giving Tithe? by bijelee(m): 10:42pm On Mar 28, 2009
i don't think we should stop paying, let it be between u and God, it can be like a convenant, there are no hard rules anyway,
so many people are against it while some are for it,
for me, i will keep paying my tithe
there is nothing i have that is not from God, so why should i withhold anything from him, how much more money
Re: Should We Stop Giving Tithe? by topup: 1:42am On Mar 29, 2009
I have been to many different churches in both Nigeria and the UK. I never keep my tithe, you're not giving to the pastor, you're giving to God, if the pastor manipulates this, leave him to God.

Another way of combatting this is to give to another church where you agree with their pastoring and ways of teaching, if you can avoid giving to an obviously corrupt leader, then do so.
Re: Should We Stop Giving Tithe? by MT: 2:01am On Mar 29, 2009

@lexdino
pay your tithe to those who are in need also, not only to men of God.

Gbam!. You couldnt have said it better. The bible even says if you can do it for one of these, you have done it for me!. It is not that you shouldnt give to the church if you have the wilful feeling to give, but the needy should take a priority before the church. Afterall , bible states that pastors must have a means of living and not solely depend on donation/tithe/offering for his survival.

To make matter worse, the number of offering being collected in my church is amazing - welfare offering, church development offering, youth offering, first Sunday of the month offering etc. This is enough to make one go bankrupt.

Conclusion, I rather give to the poor/needy first before church, if I have the feeling of giving to the church I will do, if i notice something that needs to be done in the church and I could afford it, I will pay for it without anyone knowing it's me that do it. QED wink
Re: Should We Stop Giving Tithe? by segyemaro(m): 1:59am On Mar 31, 2009
Yea i agree with you,there are so many collections on every service day, while the poor and needy are beign negleted.
Re: Should We Stop Giving Tithe? by KunleOshob(m): 10:48am On Mar 31, 2009
topup:

I have been to many different churches in both Nigeria and the UK. I never keep my tithe, you're not giving to the pastor, you're giving to God, if the pastor manipulates this, leave him to God.

Another way of combatting this is to give to another church where you agree with their pastoring and ways of teaching, if you can avoid giving to an obviously corrupt leader, then do so.

I think you you should go and research the bible well to first of all understand the biblical concept of tithing and if it was ever required of christians. Also learn what christian giving is all about (from the bible and not a pastor). A good place to start could be any of the threads on tithes on this forum including this one, there are enough biblical references on tithes to reveal the truth to you.
Re: Should We Stop Giving Tithe? by segyemaro(m): 2:24pm On Mar 31, 2009
Yes i think we have about 4-5 threads on tithe in this forum and they are talking from bible point not any pastor.
Re: Should We Stop Giving Tithe? by realpastor: 3:40pm On Mar 31, 2009
We have alot of pastors in the making on this forum,to be specific we have kunleoshob. Segyemaro and others. Pls let me know your address so that i can send you a bible school form cos you guys have alot of potentials
Re: Should We Stop Giving Tithe? by segyemaro(m): 8:39pm On Apr 01, 2009
You can say that again,i hope kunle is reading it too.
Re: Should We Stop Giving Tithe? by eghosaobas: 9:30pm On Apr 01, 2009
That is the only reason why we have so many churches TITHES! If this is stoped wahala go dey ooo,no more easy money.i called it easy because the pastors will just seat in their churches and yot will take your money to them. Thats why we have churches all over the whold place infact the churches are more than the members, thats why every little available space is beign converted to church as far you can talk and brainwashed.
Re: Should We Stop Giving Tithe? by realpastor: 2:45am On Apr 02, 2009
Eghosaobas,na wa for you
Re: Should We Stop Giving Tithe? by biina: 5:36am On Apr 02, 2009
Hmmm interesting topic you have here. Haven't read the entire thread yet (and not sure I will) but a couple of posts do place an uunsual dimension on a few things.

Quick question though: Is it bad to pay your tithes?
Re: Should We Stop Giving Tithe? by KunleOshob(m): 12:21pm On Apr 02, 2009
biina:

Hmmm interesting topic you have here. Haven't read the entire thread yet (and not sure I will) but a couple of posts do place an uunsual dimension on a few things.

Quick question though: Is it bad to pay your tithes?

If the tither is paying his tithes based on the mosaic law which was quoted in malachi 3, the tither is cutting his or her self away from the grace of Christ(Galatians 5:4). But the more evil issue is that the word of God is being twisted(jeremiah 8:8-10) and manipulated by those who should know better(pastors) to justify it or for the sake of greedy gain and this is extremely BAD angry
Re: Should We Stop Giving Tithe? by biina: 1:47pm On Apr 02, 2009
KunleOshob:

If the tither is paying his tithes based on the mosaic law which was quoted in malachi 3, the tither is cutting his or her self away from the grace of Christ(Galatians 5:4). But the more evil issue is that the word of God is being twisted(jeremiah 8:8-10) and manipulated by those who should know better(pastors) to justify it or for the sake of greedy gain and this is extremely BAD   angry

I am not sure that I understand what you mean by the mosaic law in malachi 3 (I believe verses 6-10). If I have misinterpreted your statement, please let me know. I will assume that you refer to the laws of Moses as specifically in Leviticus (and not the entire Pentateuch)

Malachi 3:6-8
"I the LORD do not change. So you, O descendants of Jacob, are not destroyed. Ever since the time of your forefathers you have turned away from my decrees and have not kept them. Return to me, and I will return to you," says the LORD Almighty.
"But you ask, 'How are we to return?'
"Will a man rob God? Yet you rob me.
"But you ask, 'How do we rob you?'
"In tithes and offerings. You are under a curse—the whole nation of you—because you are robbing me. Bring the whole tithe into the storehouse, that there may be food in my house. Test me in this," says the LORD Almighty, "and see if I will not throw open the floodgates of heaven and pour out so much blessing that you will not have room enough for it.

Contrary to the opinions of most Christians, tithing (as well as offerings) did not originate in the mosaic laws. The mosaic laws only formalized tithes and offerings, and also gave a physical purpose to them e.g.  by allocating them as an inheritance to the Levites. Abraham gave tithes to Melchizedek, and Jacob also swore same at Bethel (Gen 28:20). These were obviously not done under mosaic laws,  but rather under the guidance of God. In Malachi, when God accused us of robbing him, it was not with regards to the mosaic laws per se, but rather with respect to the ever constant requirement that we give our tithes and offerings unto him. Of note also is Jesus's comment to the Pharisees in Matt 23:23, that they should practice  justice, mercy and faithfulness, and still pay their tithes. It is my opinion that the payment of tithes to God is a requirement of all who believe in him.

With regards to Galatians 5:4, caution needs to be exercised, because Paul was making a case against holding people to righteousness based on the mosaic law (like the pharisees did) which was common among the jews vs gentiles particularly as regards circumcision. This is obvious given that being held to righteousness based on the mosaic laws neglects the death and resurrection of Christ. A possible scenario would be requiring that the gentiles adopts the same day as the jews do for the Sabbath, whereas the notion of the Sabbath is not about which day of the week it is but rather reserving a day to reflect and fellowship with God.

On the issue of people manipulating the word of God, that is an issue I would like us to defer till later, so as not to give a better structure to our exchange.
Re: Should We Stop Giving Tithe? by KunleOshob(m): 2:36pm On Apr 02, 2009
@Biina
No matter how you want to argue it the commandment to tithe was done under the mosaic law which is not relevant to christians, tithes is being preached on that basis and it is wrong. The excuse of Abraham and jacob does not suffice cos they did it of there own freewill not based on a commandment and the biblical record of it was one off, not on a regular basis as is being preached today.
That apart christians were specifically told that the commandment of tithing had been anulled and tithing was described as a weak and useless law in hebrews 7 which i would reproduce below and highlight the relevant portions

Hebrews 7:5-20:

5And verily they that are of the sons of Levi, who receive the office of the priesthood, have a commandment to take tithes of the people according to the law, that is, of their brethren, though they come out of the loins of Abraham:

6But he whose descent is not counted from them received tithes of Abraham, and blessed him that had the promises.

7And without all contradiction the less is blessed of the better.

8And here men that die receive tithes; but there he receiveth them, of whom it is witnessed that he liveth.

9And as I may so say, Levi also, who receiveth tithes, payed tithes in Abraham.

10For he was yet in the loins of his father, when Melchisedec met him.

11If therefore perfection were by the Levitical priesthood, (for under it the people received the law,) what further need was there that another priest should rise after the order of Melchisedec, and not be called after the order of Aaron?

12For the priesthood being changed, there is made of necessity a change also of the law.
13For he of whom these things are spoken pertaineth to another tribe, of which no man gave attendance at the altar.

14For it is evident that our Lord sprang out of Juda; of which tribe Moses spake nothing concerning priesthood.

15And it is yet far more evident: for that after the similitude of Melchisedec there ariseth another priest,

16Who is made, not after the law of a carnal commandment, but after the power of an endless life.

17For he testifieth, Thou art a priest for ever after the order of Melchisedec.

18For there is verily a disannulling of the commandment going before for the weakness and unprofitableness thereof.

19For the law made nothing perfect, but the bringing in of a better hope did; by the which we draw nigh unto God.

20And inasmuch as not without an oath he was made priest:

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (19) (Reply)

Why There Are No Aborted Or Dead Babies In Hell / What Is That Song That Lifts Your Spirit? / A Boy Who Turned 12 On 12/12/12 Labelled Anti Christ

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 62
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.