Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,172 members, 7,780,199 topics. Date: Thursday, 28 March 2024 at 10:46 AM

Relevance Of Postgraduate Diploma (pgdip) (Advice Needed) - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Relevance Of Postgraduate Diploma (pgdip) (Advice Needed) (4721 Views)

Rsust Postgraduate Diploma (pgd) Form For 2011/2012 Academic Session On Sale / Rsust Postgraduate Diploma (pgd) Screening Test For 2011/2012 Academic Session / Futa Postgraduate Diploma Forms For Hnd Holder (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Relevance Of Postgraduate Diploma (pgdip) (Advice Needed) by CoCoLav(f): 7:22pm On Dec 07, 2014
Hi everyone,

Pls I would like to know the relevance of a postgraduate diploma to someone who already has a masters. I'm planning to take on further education after my masters next year but it seems a postgraduate diploma will be irrelevant after obtaining my masters. I would like to know if this is true.

Note: I haven't really considered a PHD because I feel its for those who want to lecture.

Thanks.

1 Like

Re: Relevance Of Postgraduate Diploma (pgdip) (Advice Needed) by nairamaverick(m): 8:01pm On Dec 07, 2014
I would like to know too
Re: Relevance Of Postgraduate Diploma (pgdip) (Advice Needed) by CoCoLav(f): 9:31am On Dec 08, 2014
Bump
Re: Relevance Of Postgraduate Diploma (pgdip) (Advice Needed) by Urine: 2:12pm On Dec 12, 2014
CoCoLav:
Hi everyone,

Pls I would like to know the relevance of a postgraduate diploma to someone who already has a masters. I'm planning to take on further education after my masters next year but it seems a postgraduate diploma will be irrelevant after obtaining my masters. I would like to know if this is true.

Note: I haven't really considered a PHD because I feel its for those who want to lecture.

Thanks.

If you have a Masters in a discipline you don't need a postgraduate diploma. Let's say you have a First degree in Law and would love to have a Masters in Computer Science, you will need to first get a PGD before being admitted for a Masters programme.

In some cases, folks that graduate with a third class might need to get a PGD before being admitted for a Masters.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Relevance Of Postgraduate Diploma (pgdip) (Advice Needed) by CoCoLav(f): 2:49pm On Dec 12, 2014
Urine:

If you have a Masters in a discipline you don't need a postgraduate diploma. Let's say you have a First degree in Law and would love to have a Masters in Computer Science, you will need to first get a PGD before being admitted for a Masters programme.

In some cases, folks that graduate with a third class might need to get a PGD before being admitted for a Masters.

Thank you so much.
Re: Relevance Of Postgraduate Diploma (pgdip) (Advice Needed) by Urine: 2:52pm On Dec 12, 2014
CoCoLav:

Thank you so much.

So I guess the next degree after a masters is a PH.d?

You're welcome. Yes it is, PhD is after masters.
Re: Relevance Of Postgraduate Diploma (pgdip) (Advice Needed) by CoCoLav(f): 2:53pm On Dec 12, 2014
Urine:

Okay. Thanks.
Re: Relevance Of Postgraduate Diploma (pgdip) (Advice Needed) by AZeD1(m): 3:39pm On Dec 19, 2014
Urine:

Not necessarily, you can do as many masters as you like if you don't want to do a PhD.

By the way, why do you want to keep studying if you don't want to do a PhD? Are you studying to keep busy?
Re: Relevance Of Postgraduate Diploma (pgdip) (Advice Needed) by CoCoLav(f): 3:57pm On Dec 19, 2014
AZeD1:

Not necessarily, you can do as many masters as you like if you don't want to do a PhD.

By the way, why do you want to keep studying if you don't want to do a PhD? Are you studying to keep busy?

I think a PhD is really stressful. I have helped many PhD students with their thesis and research and I just feel its too stressful, though I might be wrong it could just be a Nigerian factor.

I am not studying to keep busy. When I see a course that interests me I make plans to get a degree in that course. For example, I saw a programme for a PGdip in Advocacy which made me open this thread.
Re: Relevance Of Postgraduate Diploma (pgdip) (Advice Needed) by AZeD1(m): 7:32pm On Dec 19, 2014
CoCoLav:

I think a PhD is really stressful. I have helped many PhD students with their thesis and research and I just feel its too stressful, though I might be wrong it could just be a Nigerian factor.

I am not studying to keep busy. When I see a course that interests me I make plans to get a degree in that course. For example, I saw a programme for a PGdip in Advocacy which made me open this thread.
Alright.

How long are you going to keep on studying formally?
Re: Relevance Of Postgraduate Diploma (pgdip) (Advice Needed) by CoCoLav(f): 8:10pm On Dec 19, 2014
AZeD1:

Alright.

How long are you going to keep on studying formally?

Till I'm too busy with my family....and even then I might still take certificate courses
Re: Relevance Of Postgraduate Diploma (pgdip) (Advice Needed) by AZeD1(m): 8:36pm On Dec 19, 2014
CoCoLav:

Till I'm too busy with my family....and even then I might still take certificate courses
You too like book
Re: Relevance Of Postgraduate Diploma (pgdip) (Advice Needed) by CoCoLav(f): 8:40pm On Dec 19, 2014
AZeD1:

You too like book

You just sounded like my boss smiley
Re: Relevance Of Postgraduate Diploma (pgdip) (Advice Needed) by AZeD1(m): 8:42pm On Dec 19, 2014
CoCoLav:

Lol

You should be on the card thread
Re: Relevance Of Postgraduate Diploma (pgdip) (Advice Needed) by AZeD1(m): 8:50pm On Dec 19, 2014
CoCoLav:

Tell me you got the one on this thread?
Re: Relevance Of Postgraduate Diploma (pgdip) (Advice Needed) by CoCoLav(f): 8:56pm On Dec 19, 2014
AZeD1:

Tell me you got the one on this thread?

Yes!!!

grin

Thank you smiley
Re: Relevance Of Postgraduate Diploma (pgdip) (Advice Needed) by AZeD1(m): 9:00pm On Dec 19, 2014
CoCoLav:

Yes!!!

grin

Thank you smiley
You welcome ma'am
Have a blessed xmas
Re: Relevance Of Postgraduate Diploma (pgdip) (Advice Needed) by CoCoLav(f): 9:04pm On Dec 19, 2014
AZeD1:

You welcome ma'am
Have a blessed xmas

You too. smiley
Re: Relevance Of Postgraduate Diploma (pgdip) (Advice Needed) by AZeD1(m): 9:52pm On Dec 19, 2014
CoCoLav:

You too. smiley
So i read your diary (sorry if i wasn't supposed to) but you missed a post!!
Re: Relevance Of Postgraduate Diploma (pgdip) (Advice Needed) by CoCoLav(f): 9:57pm On Dec 19, 2014
AZeD1:

What post? grin

Of course you are allowed to read my diary...its on a public forum cheesy
Re: Relevance Of Postgraduate Diploma (pgdip) (Advice Needed) by AZeD1(m): 10:01pm On Dec 19, 2014
CoCoLav:

What post? grin

Of course you are allowed to read my diary...its on a public forum cheesy
What happened after you took "Orijin"?
Re: Relevance Of Postgraduate Diploma (pgdip) (Advice Needed) by CoCoLav(f): 10:04pm On Dec 19, 2014
AZeD1:

What happened after you took "Orijin"?

Lol. That post was skipped intentionally.

I promised to update later though but been so lazy.
Re: Relevance Of Postgraduate Diploma (pgdip) (Advice Needed) by AZeD1(m): 10:11pm On Dec 19, 2014
CoCoLav:

Lol. That post was skipped intentionally.

I promised to update later though but been so lazy.

** Off to build a tent waiting for the update.**
Re: Relevance Of Postgraduate Diploma (pgdip) (Advice Needed) by CoCoLav(f): 10:14pm On Dec 19, 2014
AZeD1:

** Off to build a tent waiting for the update.**

Lol. Its gonna be rated 18+
Re: Relevance Of Postgraduate Diploma (pgdip) (Advice Needed) by AZeD1(m): 10:19pm On Dec 19, 2014
CoCoLav:

Lol. Its gonna be rated 18+
Now i can't wait.!!!!
Re: Relevance Of Postgraduate Diploma (pgdip) (Advice Needed) by CoCoLav(f): 10:22pm On Dec 19, 2014
AZeD1:

Now i can't wait.!!!!

Lol. Will update tonight then.

As a show of appreciation for...
Re: Relevance Of Postgraduate Diploma (pgdip) (Advice Needed) by AZeD1(m): 10:33pm On Dec 19, 2014
CoCoLav:

Lol. Will update tonight then.

As a show of appreciation for...
Thanks ma'am, you far too kind!!
Re: Relevance Of Postgraduate Diploma (pgdip) (Advice Needed) by CoCoLav(f): 10:36pm On Dec 19, 2014
AZeD1:

Thanks ma'am, you far too kind!!

smiley
Re: Relevance Of Postgraduate Diploma (pgdip) (Advice Needed) by Bamz(m): 12:23am On Dec 20, 2014
AZeD1:

Stalkers are forever cheesy
Re: Relevance Of Postgraduate Diploma (pgdip) (Advice Needed) by imb25: 3:50am On Dec 20, 2014
pls house, is it possible for HND with pass grade get pgd admission in any nigeria uninversiry, pls suggestion on what to do is welcome
Re: Relevance Of Postgraduate Diploma (pgdip) (Advice Needed) by CoCoLav(f): 7:59am On Dec 20, 2014
imb25:
pls house, is it possible for HND with pass grade get pgd admission in any nigeria uninversiry, pls suggestion on what to do is welcome

Why not open a thread to ask because I doubt anyone will see this.
Re: Relevance Of Postgraduate Diploma (pgdip) (Advice Needed) by frank043(m): 11:06pm On Mar 16, 2015
imb25:

No offence bro,but it will be a cold day in Hell before you get admitted for a PGD with pass. Nigeria/Nigerians and their grade issues. Pass is way too low for such admission. My humble advise is that you go for another HND or possibly a DE with your ND ie if you made at least an upper credit. No offence. Thanks

(1) (2) (Reply)

Garrick Memorial School Owner Slumps, Dies After Gov. Obaseki Action / Does Any Nigerian University Or Polytechnic Accept City And Guilds Diploma? / The Full Story Of The Five UNILAG Students Involved In An Accident

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 42
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.