Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,298 members, 7,808,016 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 03:32 AM

Oyinlola To Receive 150billion Naira Damages From MTN! - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Oyinlola To Receive 150billion Naira Damages From MTN! (1773 Views)

Osinbajo Demands Apology, 2bn Naira Damages From Fani-kayode / Osun 2014: Oyinlola To Support Aregbesola? / Oyinlola To Decamp And Join Aregbesola In APC????? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Oyinlola To Receive 150billion Naira Damages From MTN! by Freelancer007(m): 10:18pm On Dec 08, 2014
The Abuja Division of the Court of Appeal has
dismissed an appeal filed by MTN Nigeria
Communications Limited challenging a
decision of a Federal High Court striking the
case filed against the telecoms company by a
former governor of Osun State, Mr. Olagunsoye
Oyinlola.\
At the preliminary stage of the suit in which
Oyinlola sought a payment of N150 billion from
both the MTN and the Nigeria
Communications Commission (NCC) for
alleged failure to protect him, he sought to
discontinue the case and the trial judge,
Justice B.N. Aliyu consequent struck it out.
But MTN disagreed saying that the trial judge
ought to have dismissed the suit. It eventually
appealed to the Court of Appeal asking the
appellate court to set aside the high court’s
judge order striking out the case and its place
to issue an order of dismissal.
MTN argued that the parties had already
joined issue when the plaintiff sought to
discontinue the case.
However, the appeal court rejected the
company’s argument and held that the trial
judge was right in striking out the case. It
consequently dismissed the appeal as lacking
in merit.
Oyinlola had in the suit accused MTN of lying
to the National Judicial Council (NJC) that the
NCC made it mandatory for service providers
to keep record of calls logs for two months.
He had asked the court to declare that NJC
failed to protect him from unfair practices of
MTN.
He also asked the court to hold that MTN
failed in its duty to be accountable and
responsive to his needs.
But in a counter affidavit, MTN denied any
wrong doing and denied the allegation.

Source: http://www.thisdaylive.com/articles/appeal-court-dismisses-mtn-s-appeal-against-oyinlola/196122/
Re: Oyinlola To Receive 150billion Naira Damages From MTN! by mrvitalis(m): 11:17pm On Dec 08, 2014
if this is true ....then thr man is made

1 Like

Re: Oyinlola To Receive 150billion Naira Damages From MTN! by seunlayi(m): 11:26pm On Dec 08, 2014
una wan kill mtn?

3 Likes

Re: Oyinlola To Receive 150billion Naira Damages From MTN! by motherlode: 11:30pm On Dec 08, 2014
Should i be happy smiley or sad undecided because MTN won't pay me for disturbances cheesy with their unnecessary messages grin

2 Likes

Re: Oyinlola To Receive 150billion Naira Damages From MTN! by tit(f): 11:32pm On Dec 08, 2014
mTN will get some of the money from Injustice Salami and Teefnubu

4 Likes

Re: Oyinlola To Receive 150billion Naira Damages From MTN! by Tolexander: 11:40pm On Dec 08, 2014
MTN really need to pay you the money since they couldn't protect you on the criminal activities(call) you made!
Re: Oyinlola To Receive 150billion Naira Damages From MTN! by jahbiz: 11:45pm On Dec 08, 2014
Wow!!! The rich are getting richer and..........
This money is enough to feed a state for a good year.
Imagine say na my pale wan collect ds kind money, Omo efor make sense die chai!!!
Re: Oyinlola To Receive 150billion Naira Damages From MTN! by PearlStreet(m): 11:50pm On Dec 08, 2014
I don't blame the posters above me for revelling in ignorance, I blame Thisday online for not being able to distinguish between striking out a matter and dismissal of a matter.

In summary, what happened is this, Oyinlola's case was thrown out, but he can still sue Mtn based on the same facts. Thus, MTN is unsafe.

However, Mtn appealed to the Court of Appeal that the matter ought to have been determined and kicked out after looking into it. This way, they are safe as they can't be sued by Oyinlola based on d same facts.

At no point was MTN asked to pay a Kobo.

9 Likes

Re: Oyinlola To Receive 150billion Naira Damages From MTN! by Exmay(m): 12:04am On Dec 09, 2014
in as much as I will like like oyinlola to win, my main concern is how mtn go raise 150billion.
your guess is as good as mine.
- increase in call tariff
- increase in rate of data consumption and purchase
- increase in no of unsolicited text messages
- increase in no of bonanzas with no winner thus driving more pole to d ntwk.
in short, na Abu's money we go us entertain Abu
Re: Oyinlola To Receive 150billion Naira Damages From MTN! by pheyikemi: 1:58am On Dec 09, 2014
Mtn users brace yourselves up, you are all gonna pay the #150billion indirectly either u like it or not.

3 Likes

Re: Oyinlola To Receive 150billion Naira Damages From MTN! by AKMoney1(m): 2:53am On Dec 09, 2014
mrvitalis:
if this is true ....then thr man is made

Which planet are you from? He's a billionaire, he's made already.
Re: Oyinlola To Receive 150billion Naira Damages From MTN! by Nobody: 3:12am On Dec 09, 2014
PearlStreet:
I don't blame the posters above me for revelling in ignorance, I blame Thisday online for not being able to distinguish between striking out a matter and dismissal of a matter.

In summary, what happened is this, Oyinlola's case was thrown out, but he can still sue Mtn based on the same facts. Thus, MTN is unsafe.

However, Mtn appealed to the Court of Appeal that the matter ought to have been determined and kicked out after looking into it. This way, they are safe as they can't be sued by Oyinlola based on d same facts.

At no point was MTN asked to pay a Kobo.
Thank you, it's like I read a different story.
Re: Oyinlola To Receive 150billion Naira Damages From MTN! by Nobody: 3:18am On Dec 09, 2014
pheyikemi:

God don finally punish us.
Re: Oyinlola To Receive 150billion Naira Damages From MTN! by itsmine: 3:52am On Dec 09, 2014
Sensational journalism at its best. Dis s even a layman's language being given contrary headlines. who's gonna pay who here? Oyinlola says let's sleep but MTN says let's bury it once & for all cos I don't trust u. pray where's money involved here? Olorun gba mi o. Chineke. Baba monganna!
Re: Oyinlola To Receive 150billion Naira Damages From MTN! by Bishop4bella(m): 4:45am On Dec 09, 2014
MTN did not protect you because of fraudulent and criminal act. Are your voice tape me real or someone else's use your used your phone.

APC have a way of paying you back since your defection into the party.

MTN pay my Ex governor, bunch of a feather.
Re: Oyinlola To Receive 150billion Naira Damages From MTN! by nawtibownie: 5:00am On Dec 09, 2014
High call rates and unnecessary deduction of airtime is gonna be for real now. #Mtn season of surprises
Re: Oyinlola To Receive 150billion Naira Damages From MTN! by Oahray: 8:29am On Dec 09, 2014
Lol. Op, they struck out the case na. Change your title jor. The post is simply saying that MTN appealed against STRIKING OUT that particular case, but want the court instead to DISMISS the claim completely (to set a precedent for similar future claims).

In other words, the man said "oya rest for the 150billion matter, I no wan too drag now" and the court said "ok" but MTN is saying "No! No rest the matter because the guy wan chill. E go be like say e just pity me. Tell the guy say na rubbish e be dey ask for, say make e no try am again."

...and the court said "Shut up MTN!"

1 Like

Re: Oyinlola To Receive 150billion Naira Damages From MTN! by utenwuson: 11:12am On Dec 09, 2014
tit:
can u please throw more light on the rubbish u jst post Wats Tinubu own and MTN, arrant nonsensetical ingredient!
Re: Oyinlola To Receive 150billion Naira Damages From MTN! by utenwuson: 11:13am On Dec 09, 2014
tit:
can u please throw more light on the rubbish u jst post Wats Tinubu own and MTN? arrant nonsensetical ingredient!

(1) (Reply)

US Soldiers Have To Buy Their Own Uniforms Too - WHY NO CNN INTERVIEW? / Jega Inec Chairman To Resign Over Alleged Sectionalism And Favouritism / Former Gov Aspirant, Senator, Others Dump PDP - See

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 27
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.