Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,484 members, 7,808,757 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 04:27 PM

Ford F150 Gearbox Problem: Advice Needed Pls - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Ford F150 Gearbox Problem: Advice Needed Pls (2374 Views)

Honda 2002 Gearbox Problem! Help Needed / Saw A Ford F150 SVT Raptor / Toyota Camry 2008 Gearbox Problem (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Ford F150 Gearbox Problem: Advice Needed Pls by Nobody: 11:13pm On Dec 08, 2014
I bought a Ford F150, '99 model for my farm. Its automatic gear had been damaged and the previous owner had replaced it with the gearbox for another model, 'working it in' probably to save cost. It did not work (no gear selection). I was aware that I would have to change the gearbox even before I bought the car and had no problem with that, since I bought the car cheaply.
Since then, I have gone to a number of Ford part dealers in Ibadan. They follow me to my mechanic, I pay an advance and transportation, they carry the gearbox they claim will fit, only to find out that it is not the same type (either the wiring connections will be different, or the gear will not select etc.). I then go through a running battle to collect the advance back... of course, the transport money is forfeit.
All efforts to trace the original damaged gearbox (just to use as a sample) was
unsuccessful.
I have been advised by my mechanic to change the engine to Toyota and manual gear, but I would like to retain the Ford engine and automatic gear and 4WD functions (which will all be lost if I work in a Toyota engine). The present engine itself is sound and the truck body is in great condition; except for that gearbox, which I have been told is of double sensor type with auxillary.
I am getting tired of spending money on transporting gearboxes that don't fit etc. without results. It's been almost 2years now, since I bought the truck.
I need advice please. Where can I go to get this car fixed properly?
Re: Ford F150 Gearbox Problem: Advice Needed Pls by mayor2013: 12:16am On Dec 09, 2014
Come to lagos and buy the correct gear box for byour ride

1 Like

Re: Ford F150 Gearbox Problem: Advice Needed Pls by Nobody: 12:54am On Dec 09, 2014
mayor2013:
Come to lagos and buy the correct gear box for byour ride

I have thought of that. Getting the gearbox from Lagos would seem too risky. What if the gearbox does not work after bringing it down to Ibadan?
Re: Ford F150 Gearbox Problem: Advice Needed Pls by sultaan(m): 3:03am On Dec 09, 2014
Contact inspired if he can give you a quote to crate in a used transmission on his next shipment you will have to give the VIN for the right transmission and fluids.
Re: Ford F150 Gearbox Problem: Advice Needed Pls by AutosBay(m): 8:52am On Dec 09, 2014
This would fit exactly http://m.ebay.com/itm/FORD-TRUCK-SUV-POWER-STEERING-GEARBOX-GEAR-BOX-/120671882693 you can simply copy the specifications and take it to the nearest automobile shop or you can alternatively order online.

1998 - 2002 Ford F Series Trucks F-150 - All Models
Re: Ford F150 Gearbox Problem: Advice Needed Pls by Nobody: 1:04pm On Dec 09, 2014
AutosBay:
This would fit exactly http://m.ebay.com/itm/FORD-TRUCK-SUV-POWER-STEERING-GEARBOX-GEAR-BOX-/120671882693 you can simply copy the specifications and take it to the nearest automobile shop or you can alternatively order online.

1998 - 2002 Ford F Series Trucks F-150 - All Models

Thank you thank you thank you.
Update: Awwww didn't work out. It's a power steering pump.

sultaan:
Contact inspired if he can give you a quote to crate in a used transmission on his next shipment you will have to give the VIN for the right transmission and fluids.

Thank you too. Will try your option if above does not work out. But who is 'inspired' pls?
Re: Ford F150 Gearbox Problem: Advice Needed Pls by Export1: 2:05pm On Dec 09, 2014
Hi! It might be useful !

5 transmission problems you can't ignore

1. Slippage
If you're experiencing automatic transmission slipping, it can feel like you’re driving in a certain gear and then it changes for no apparent reason. The noise from the engine may change in pitch or start to sound like whining.
2. Rough shifts
Your car may feel like it’s refusing to change gears as it normally does, or the gear shifts aren’t very smooth. Sometimes you can feel or hear a noticeable “clunk” or “thud” when the car shifts gears. You may also notice the car has difficultly getting up to speed.

3. Delayed engagement
If this symptom occurs, you’ll notice a delay before the car actually engages into drive and starts moving forward. When you shift out of “P” and into “D,” there may be a long pause where the car revs the engine as you give it gas, but it’s not moving forward as it should.

4. Leaks
Transmissions are generally sealed units that should never leak fluid. If you’ve noticed leak spots on your driveway or garage floor, lay down cardboard under your car in the front and middle to determine if they’re active leaks.

If your transmission is leaking - fluid is bright red, but can also be a dark red or brown - visit your auto service shop. Before refilling any transmission fluid; factory specifications should be followed because overfilling can create a bigger transmission issue.

5. Dashboard warning lights
A warning light alone, like the “check engine” light, typically doesn’t mean you have a transmission problem, but if any of the above symptoms are occurring in conjunction with an illuminated warning, have it diagnosed by a professional. A warning light typically means the computer is generating an error code that can be checked with a shop’s diagnostic equipment. For transmissions specifically, “P0700” is a code that can indicate a general transmission problem.
Re: Ford F150 Gearbox Problem: Advice Needed Pls by Empiree: 7:40pm On Mar 13, 2015
AutosBay:

All Models[/b]
Please, do you know of Auto-parts shop in Nigeria where i can purchase complete of 2001 Pontiac Montana engine?.It's American model car (picture below).

Re: Ford F150 Gearbox Problem: Advice Needed Pls by Coldplay007(f): 6:09pm On Mar 14, 2015
Tow the car to Ladipo... If you can't get the gear there you can sell it as scrap...
Re: Ford F150 Gearbox Problem: Advice Needed Pls by sultaan(m): 10:29pm On Mar 14, 2015
Empiree:
Please, do you know of Auto-parts shop in Nigeria where i can purchase complete of 2001 Pontiac Montana engine?.It's American model car (picture below).

Any GM car with the same engine will fit.

How did you get the mechanic to break it? if it is broken
Re: Ford F150 Gearbox Problem: Advice Needed Pls by Readonee35L(m): 10:37pm On Mar 14, 2015
Empiree:

It uses the same Engine with my chevrolet venture 2003 model

Goto ladipo market
Re: Ford F150 Gearbox Problem: Advice Needed Pls by Empiree: 2:21am On Mar 15, 2015
author=Readonee35L post=31624512]

It uses the same Engine with my chevrolet venture 2003 model
Sure about this?. I have to reconfirm this first

Goto ladipo market
Thanks for this. I wasn't thinking of this place at all. If you are acquainted with stuff like this, how much you think brand new engine will cost?
Re: Ford F150 Gearbox Problem: Advice Needed Pls by Empiree: 2:24am On Mar 15, 2015
[quote author=sultaan post=31624266]

Any GM car with the same engine will fit.
Sure about this?. I will love to know more, please.

How did you get the mechanic to break it? if it is broken
What did you mean by this?
Re: Ford F150 Gearbox Problem: Advice Needed Pls by Readonee35L(m): 7:48pm On Mar 15, 2015
Empiree:
Sure about this?. I have to reconfirm this first

Thanks for this. I wasn't thinking of this place at all. If you are acquainted with stuff like this, how much you think brand new engine will cost?

I am Sure about the engine being the same

I don't sell car parts
It was only a suggestion
Re: Ford F150 Gearbox Problem: Advice Needed Pls by Empiree: 12:01am On Mar 16, 2015
[quote author=Readonee35L post=31650142]

I am Sure about the engine being the same
Oh really, i will definitely lookout. You so sure.

I don't sell car parts
It was only a suggestion
No problem

(1) (Reply)

Volvo Xc90 And Acura Mdx 2005 / Nissan Murano.. Please Why Do People Run Away From This Car? / POSSIBLE? FROM NO CAR TO NEW SPORT LOOKING CAR WITH JUST N985K

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 24
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.