Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,581 members, 7,809,111 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 11:27 PM

How Can I Be A Good Writer? - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / How Can I Be A Good Writer? (893 Views)

I Be Barrack Boy Aka (mind) / What Makes A Good Writer / A Good Writer Should Help Me Write This (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

How Can I Be A Good Writer? by damiperry(f): 3:23pm On Dec 09, 2014
Hi nairalanders, am in my teens and am a writer. i need advice from you people on how to be a good writer,i av love writing since i was young and hoped to become like Shakespeare or wole soyinka someday in future though av not published any novels yet.i love writing stories and poems. Av written so many short stories when i was young that i don't even know where they are now but my first lengthy novel is titled evelyn. Am writing my second one now titled dance queen but i still need advice on how i can become perfect in writing. so please iv u any tip or advice kindly share with me.
Re: How Can I Be A Good Writer? by xpac01(m): 4:04pm On Dec 09, 2014
From your post I can hear the sound of your passion to become a good writer. Well here are 5 tips that will sure help:
1. Develop your power of imagination. Always allow abstract thought to run through your mind, any thought at all just be sure they are positive. This feed your power of imagination.
2. Give life to objects when trying to make descriptions. E.g the bright eyes of the sun.
3. Trying connecting your thought when writing. This is called coherence. When your readers miss your thought, then your book is good for dump.
4. Read books both from veteran and upcoming authors. The former helps you to improve your command of english and vocabulary, while the later exposes you to what you ought to avoid aswell as improve on.
5. Keep writing.

1 Like

Re: How Can I Be A Good Writer? by dunkem21(m): 5:00pm On Dec 09, 2014
You described my childhood memories. I remember writing fictitious stories way-back for fun and to friends amazement. I remember 'Ada goes to market' - a rejoinder of 'Eze goes to school'. Infact, WAEC had to trace me back to the school to finish an essay I wrote on "All that glitters is not gold" because I have painted a real life story with a huge suspense at the end with a pretense that the number of words required has been exceeded. I also remember when movie producers collect my script for a token to further develop the plot and settings.

Now, I cant write a full page! and Its frustrating.

My advice: I know of a cool headed, willing to help and very very very good artistic writer on this forum. Follow her, as I am going to start following her now and ask for guidance when you need help.

Good luck in your quest.

Lest I forget, her name is Mizmycoli. Don't ever tell her I let you in on this as it might spoil your chances.
Re: How Can I Be A Good Writer? by MizMyColi(f): 5:06pm On Dec 09, 2014
dunkem21:
You described my childhood memories. I remember writing fictitious stories way-back for fun and to friends amazement. I remember 'Ada goes to market' - a rejoinder of 'Eze goes to school'. Infact, WAEC had to trace me back to the school to finish an essay I wrote on "All that glitters is not gold" because I have painted a real life story with a huge suspense at the end with a pretense that the number of words required has been exceeded. I also remember when movie producers collect my script for a token to further develop the plot and settings.

Now, I cant write a full page! and Its frustrating.

My advice: I know of a cool headed, willing to help and very very very good artistic writer on this forum. Follow her, as I am going to start following her now and ask for guidance when you need help.

Good luck in your quest.

Lest I forget, her name is Miz mycoli. Don't ever tell her I let you in on this as it might spoil your chances.

Errrr.......thanks Sir.
I'm honored for real.
But you see, I'm just a gifted writer who's still stalling on developing her talents.

I fit in better as a copy editor.

OP, I can redirect you to the likes of
Royver
TemitopeDaniel
SammyHoe (If He's still on NL)
Whitemosquito
Princesa
Dygeasy
D9ty7

One or more of them should be willing to help.
Bonne Chance wink
Re: How Can I Be A Good Writer? by D9ty7(m): 9:06pm On Dec 09, 2014
Op, I have a short advice for you if you really want to write, even though I can see the passion in your post.
1. Do all xpac01 said and you'll be suprised to see how good you'd become.
2. Write, write and write. The more you write, the more imaginative horizon widens. You imagine things the more and you put them into writing.
Another thing is, you can become a betterwriter if you let people see what you have written. You can always convince yourself that you are getting better, but letting other people see what you have written is a plus for you. Give them to your friends, neighbours and learned people around you. They may not be professional editors, but you would be suprised at the correction would make.
To me, I believe becoming a better writer starts and ends with you. Keep writing and reading.
-------
MizMyColy: I am honoured.
Re: How Can I Be A Good Writer? by Marian17(f): 9:41pm On Dec 09, 2014
Read hard, Write hard and Publish i.e display your work for others to see.
Re: How Can I Be A Good Writer? by Nobody: 12:56am On Dec 10, 2014
MizMyColi:

Errrr.......thanks Sir.
I'm honored for real.
But you see, I'm just a gifted writer who's still stalling on developing her talents.

I fit in better as a copy editor.

OP, I can redirect you to the likes of
Royver
TemitopeDaniel
SammyHoe (If He's still on NL)
Whitemosquito
Princesa
Dygeasy
D9ty7

One or more of them should be willing to help.
Bonne Chance wink

Hmmm... I still dey NL o, currently running two stories sef, I WANNA WIN and POLITICAL CRINKUM CRINKUM. But madam, why u kon mention my name nah? Me be learner o.

2 Likes

Re: How Can I Be A Good Writer? by damiperry(f): 10:03am On Dec 10, 2014
Thanks everyone for d advice...it has really been helpful
Re: How Can I Be A Good Writer? by rapmike(m): 6:45pm On Dec 10, 2014
People have spoken, but I will add this.

Join good writing groups. If you have a steady and reliable way to browse, you can come in here and paste/ write your stories. There are guys who are good in writing and analysing stories, they can help you sharpen your abilities. Naijastories.com is another good site you can join.

And never get discouraged. It may not be easy at times, but keeping pushing and honing your talents.

2 Likes

(1) (Reply)

The Adventure Of A Righteous Norseman! / ''hello" / Perfect Imperfection

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 28
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.