Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,429 members, 7,808,531 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 01:06 PM

Nigerians Should Stop Fighting After An Accident! - Car Talk (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Nigerians Should Stop Fighting After An Accident! (8040 Views)

An Accident Involving A Drunk Driver At Ado Rd., Lagos (picture) / SEE Photos From An Accident In Ajah / I Witnessed An Accident (viewers Discretion Advised) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigerians Should Stop Fighting After An Accident! by redcliff: 12:37pm On Dec 11, 2014
MillionDollars:
Please mr Seun, obinoscopy, mynd44 and co, this is a frontpage material, thanks.

how pls? Athough it did doesnt make it one..
Re: Nigerians Should Stop Fighting After An Accident! by kilokeys(m): 12:37pm On Dec 11, 2014
saying sorry might nt be enough..

every car should be insured.
when u hit someone.. call up ur insurance. give him ur card..

lol.. not common in naija though
Re: Nigerians Should Stop Fighting After An Accident! by PDF: 12:37pm On Dec 11, 2014
Fabdedon:
Lol very true sha..

When me and dis guy had accident..we came down inspected d damages..shook hands and exchange business cards.. And drove off cool

Obviously d guy didn't leave ur car seriously condemned.
Re: Nigerians Should Stop Fighting After An Accident! by GodMode: 12:39pm On Dec 11, 2014
Even in GTA V.. They fight...

Its not a Nigerian thing..
Re: Nigerians Should Stop Fighting After An Accident! by gen2yomi(m): 12:39pm On Dec 11, 2014
Me no dey fight o.... I no dey use my own cause hold up cool
Re: Nigerians Should Stop Fighting After An Accident! by jahlove4jah: 12:40pm On Dec 11, 2014
MillionDollars:
d most times i've witnessed an accident, i've never seen a situation where the drivers or riders involved would simply say ''I'M SORRY'' and go their respective ways, but NO its d oda way round, they tend to quarrel or sometimes fight like they hit themselves on purpose. For crying out loud, no driver or rider was born with a steering(no one is perfect), i'd rather advice every driver and rider reading this to lets stop our ''FIGHT AFTER AN ACCIDENT'' mentality in Nigeria. THANKS
My friend told me about his experience back in PH. This 2 men involved in the crash just got down from their cars and inspected the level of damage, exchanged complimentary card and zoomed off. I blame it on the poverty level in this country.

1 Like

Re: Nigerians Should Stop Fighting After An Accident! by yomi007k(m): 12:42pm On Dec 11, 2014
Blame it on d poverty level. That shit is freaking high n it affects our mind.
Re: Nigerians Should Stop Fighting After An Accident! by topaaz(m): 12:42pm On Dec 11, 2014
UjSizzle:
After the bashing, na to speak grammar remain

What I don't understand is the need to hold other drivers to ransome by handling their business right in the middle of the road. Is it so difficult to pullover and fight? undecided
Grammar like is you know who am I? I can fit to lock you up for the entire rest of life? You be a conconbility! grin

3 Likes

Re: Nigerians Should Stop Fighting After An Accident! by Nobody: 12:43pm On Dec 11, 2014
lolz

It depends on the attitude of the person.
And what led to it.
If I am driving and you're following me bumper to bumper___ forming GTA- just pray you don't hit me, because na all the Task Force go settle the matter.

UjSizzle:
After the bashing, na to speak grammar remain

What I don't understand is the need to hold other drivers to ransome by handling their business right in the middle of the road. Is it so difficult to pullover and fight?

Why should I pull over?
You want me to leave the accident scene ba?
How them go come take judge the case na angry

1 Like

Re: Nigerians Should Stop Fighting After An Accident! by HydrogenOHazard: 12:43pm On Dec 11, 2014
MillionDollars:
d most times i've witnessed an accident, i've never seen a situation where the drivers or riders involved would simply say ''I'M SORRY'' and go their respective ways, but NO its d oda way round, they tend to quarrel or sometimes fight like they hit themselves on purpose. For crying out loud, no driver or rider was born with a steering(no one is perfect), i'd rather advice every driver and rider reading this to lets stop our ''FIGHT AFTER AN ACCIDENT'' mentality in Nigeria. THANKS
what happen and who fought you and. Also drive carefully next time.
Re: Nigerians Should Stop Fighting After An Accident! by Kobeje(m): 12:47pm On Dec 11, 2014
The reason people fight is because no one is ready to accept the fault, especially if the damage is extensive. Moreover your insurance company wouldnt want you to accept responsibility. Many drivers are just reckless. And believe you me, this is naija where the guilty can be declared innocent.

Not minding the above however, its brutish (imo) to engage in a fight when an accident happens. Statistics, if taken, would probably reveal that the crashes people fight about are minor ones.

There was this day that i gave a taxi and okada the right to enter in my front only for the okada to stop recklessly to pick a passenger. I hit him slightly and broke his rear light and my headlight. I then went ahead and parked by myself wihout anyone stopping me. The guy now came and was going to touch me, i told him he is in trouble if he tries it. I broke your light so what? Then i replace it. No sense in fighting like animals.

1 Like

Re: Nigerians Should Stop Fighting After An Accident! by Nobody: 12:48pm On Dec 11, 2014
Some people have even lost their lives or sustained serious deforming injuries in the course of fighting over one useless broken side mirror or scratched fender. I've never really understood why so many people are so stupid and uncivilised.

The funny part is that these animals will spend mega money to organise thanksgiving parties when they survive a ghastly accident in which their cherished car was irreparably damaged (or even when they survive a robbery attack during which the car was snatched) . Yet they would bicker and fight and risk causing serious harm to themselves and/or others because of a mere side mirror or bumper. How senseless is that?

I have never and will never fight when these things happen, especially when it is clearly a mistake (as it often is, since no sane driver intentionally hits another road user).

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Nigerians Should Stop Fighting After An Accident! by MeGaStReEt: 12:49pm On Dec 11, 2014
DisGuy:
More annoying is the fact they dont move to the side of the road to fight/discuss fault. they stay in the middle of the bloody road shouting and gesticulating-

You beat me to that. . . They won't just leave the dam.ned road for other people to continue their journey. They pack and quarrel and even fight themselves while we are forced to watch them.

1 Like

Re: Nigerians Should Stop Fighting After An Accident! by joe17: 12:50pm On Dec 11, 2014
Fabdedon:
Lol very true sha..

When me and dis guy had accident..we came down inspected d damages..shook hands and exchange business cards.. And drove off cool
by "dis guy" do u mean OP? So I cn undstand u grin grin grin

1 Like

Re: Nigerians Should Stop Fighting After An Accident! by Nobody: 12:52pm On Dec 11, 2014
My uncle don't fight again.He just enters inside the persons car and tell him the price.

1 Like

Re: Nigerians Should Stop Fighting After An Accident! by Nobody: 12:56pm On Dec 11, 2014
We NIGERIANs are genetically aggressive people.
I don't think we are humans..
D number of CURSES we heap on our fellow citizens is enough to cause RAPTURE..
Everyday THUNDER FIRE you...
YET we end up in CHURHES every sunday chasing evil Unseen and unclean spirits..
THANKGOD...these curses do not work..else it would have a HIROSHIMA effect in NIGERIA..
Our POLICEMEN commonly tell people behind wheels, THUNDER FIRE U..
Even when i try to control my temperament, i find it difficult too...
WE NEED DIVINE and GLOBAL HELP.

1 Like

Re: Nigerians Should Stop Fighting After An Accident! by yuzedo: 12:59pm On Dec 11, 2014
pro01:
Some people have even lost their lives or sustained serious deforming injuries in the course of fighting over one useless broken side mirror or scratched fender. I've never really understood why so many people are so stupid and uncivilised.

The funny part is that these animals will spend mega money to organise thanksgiving parties when they survive a ghastly accident in which their much-cherised car was irreparably damaged (or even when they survive a robbery attack during which the car was snatched) . Yet they would bicker and fight and risk causing serious harm to themselves and/or others because of a mere side mirror or bumper. How senseless is that?

I have never and will never fight when these things happen, especially when it is clearly a mistake (as it often is, since no sane driver intentionally hits another road user).
Brethren, I had an experience that completely indicts me on this which I shared on another thread (my last post).
I learnt the best way (through experience) that even engaging in and dominating a fight will count as at best, a pyrrhic victory. I demystified my gentlemanly personae on Tuesday night, but now I can confidently say, Nunquam Iterum.

Do not judge so harshly, lest ye be subjected to same temptation - Mike 7:17 (KVJ)

1 Like

Re: Nigerians Should Stop Fighting After An Accident! by harry509: 1:07pm On Dec 11, 2014
MillionDollars:
hw I wish most driva's or rider's will read dis post, it wil go a long way.
Re: Nigerians Should Stop Fighting After An Accident! by BRAV0O(m): 1:12pm On Dec 11, 2014
Op just nail one of the major reason almost every nigeria states face terrific traffic cus of this fighting mentality I witness one on 3rd mnland bridge the other day, imagine this folks even threaten to throw each other into the lagoon , and they won't even park well for other motorist to move on

I think govt should help us take their critical tifi eyes to look into this matter cus how on earth we will be blaming police and lastma never to use their work to cause us more traffic why will accidental motorist be doing so

Its so annoying

MillionDollars:
Re: Nigerians Should Stop Fighting After An Accident! by Nobody: 1:41pm On Dec 11, 2014
yuzedo:

Brethren, I had an experience that completely indicts me on this which I shared on another thread (my last post).
I learnt the best way (through experience) that even engaging in and dominating a fight will count as at best, a pyrrhic victory. I demystified my gentlemanly personae on Tuesday night, but now I can confidently say, Nunquam Iterum.

Do not judge so harshly, lest ye be subjected to same temptation - Mike 7:17 (KVJ)

Hian. Brother, I just read about your experience in the previous post and I found it hilarious and shocking at the same time. Na God save you oh; things could have easily gone awry and spiralled out of control.

I realise how careless and unmanageable many of those Lagos commercial bus/keke/okada operators are, but at the end of the day, there is nothing to be gained by fighting them when an accident happens. If you defeat am come wound am, na trouble. If e defeat you come wound you, na trouble too. In both cases, the trouble go big pass the inconvenience of a mere scratch or dent to one's car. That's the bottom line.

I've long learnt to restrain myself and control my temper under such trying circumstances by looking at the bigger picture. Devil don use these kind minor issues/altercations cause major havoc for so many people lives.

1 Like

Re: Nigerians Should Stop Fighting After An Accident! by dabossman(m): 1:48pm On Dec 11, 2014
You really can't blame most people for ending up in this situation. If people at fault accept that they are wrong then we can move on; but when you are wrong and you are claiming to be right, there will be trouble o.

There was this one guy who was trying to overtake me from the right on a major two-lane expressway where we were all going at reasonable speed, only for him to notice a danfo parked at the bus-stop ahead. What should any sane driver do? Slow down, check your mirror, trafficate (indicate) and then switch lanes once the coast is clear. But no, this guy swerves towards me trying to squeeze through, I try to swing to my left to avoid us making contact but the concrete road divider (kerb) is right beside me. The guy ends up hitting my front fender. Next thing he stops right in the middle of the road before me and begins to alight. I decide not to cause a traffic gridlock, so I try to park to the side off the road. The guy hurriedly jumps into his vehicle and blocks me again saying I must not run away. I'm like dude what the hell. His friends also alight and surround me saying I ran into them from behind. Of course they are all smelling of alcohol. They begin to form good cop, bad cop, with one trying to play the mediator while still pinning the blame on me; asking me to apologize to his friend so peace could reign! Say what?!

Now tell me how that won't result into a long argument?
Re: Nigerians Should Stop Fighting After An Accident! by LeoSanchez(m): 2:19pm On Dec 11, 2014
fighting wont be neccessary if Third Party Insurance waz active in the Country.
Or better still being lectured.
OP made a great thread but where he abi she missed was not including Insurance to cover claims.
thanks
Re: Nigerians Should Stop Fighting After An Accident! by Suzyky4u(f): 2:29pm On Dec 11, 2014
Fabdedon:
Lol very true sha..

Gist!
Re: Nigerians Should Stop Fighting After An Accident! by akinsadeez(m): 2:34pm On Dec 11, 2014
The fights usually stem from apportionment of blame. When accidents occur, the two parties always blame the other party. That is what causes the fight. The obviously wrong/guilty party will still be claiming to be right. Have you ever seen a situation where a driver who left his lane and hit your car in your lane will still tell you that you should have swerved when you saw him coming. Like WTF? I should swerve out of my lane for you No rational human being will hear such a thing n not feel like slapping the heck out of dat oda driver n dat is where d problem begins.
Re: Nigerians Should Stop Fighting After An Accident! by Nobody: 3:38pm On Dec 11, 2014
abeg come hit my car nd tell me that one.I go too beat u
Re: Nigerians Should Stop Fighting After An Accident! by abatically(m): 3:40pm On Dec 11, 2014
It is a very normal thing to stop at the scene of an accident and examine the car before anything. Both parties should come down check the amount of damage and if possible take pictures and some measurement before clearing out of the road. Fighting in the middle of the road is another thing entirely. But u just don't expect someone to hit me and I immediately clear off the road, that is never done anywhere. At least the culprit should accept he is at fault then I can clear off the road and we negotiate.

Yes it is unfortunate that other road users would be disturbed but that is not my fault. How can u claim ur not at fault when u clear off the road immediately without taking evidence? This is a normal thing in any country.
Re: Nigerians Should Stop Fighting After An Accident! by kajoula(m): 4:20pm On Dec 11, 2014
MillionDollars:

THIS IS NAIJA,NONE WILL ACCEPT RESPONSIBILITY FOR RECLESNESS.
IMAGINE, YOU PACK YOU CAR JEJE.....A COMMERCIAL BUS SCRATCH IT FROM BEHIND TO THE FENDER shocked
MY PEOPLE,IT TAKES GOD TO CONTROL YOUR TEMPER.
grin
Re: Nigerians Should Stop Fighting After An Accident! by K114: 4:57pm On Dec 11, 2014
Now where is the fun in that..its simply comic relief
Re: Nigerians Should Stop Fighting After An Accident! by html14java(f): 5:59pm On Dec 11, 2014
Fabdedon:
Lol very true sha..

U can lie o.

No be yhu slap my broda d oda day cos he scratched your toy car grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Nigerians Should Stop Fighting After An Accident! by Fabdedon(m): 6:43pm On Dec 11, 2014
html14java:

U can lie o.

No be yhu slap my broda d oda day cos he scratched your toy car grin grin grin grin grin
hahaha car nah car..cheesy

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Should I Replace My 15inch Rims With 16inch Rims On My Toyota Camry 2001 Model? / Harsh 1-2 Shift, 2-3 And 4-5 Shift Flares On 2008 Lexus ES350 When Cold / Flying Car, Airscooter To Go On Sale Later This Year For Around $50k

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 75
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.