Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,174 members, 7,780,212 topics. Date: Thursday, 28 March 2024 at 10:56 AM

My Toyota Camry Engine Excessive Fuel Consumption - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / My Toyota Camry Engine Excessive Fuel Consumption (8385 Views)

Photos: How To Calculate Fuel Consumption / Toyota Camry Engine With Stripped Head Bolt Issue: '03 (big 4 Nothing) / Camry Engine For My Freelander 1999 Model (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

My Toyota Camry Engine Excessive Fuel Consumption by airfresher(m): 8:33am On Dec 10, 2014
Please my people help me,my camry engine. 4 plugs,1.8 engine is swallowing my fuel and thanking me with black smoke from d exhaust pipe.N1500 fuel hardly get to V I from Abule Egba.If I park it for like two days one plug will not work.Please where can I take it to,am rally disturbed.Experts in the house please help a brother.
Re: My Toyota Camry Engine Excessive Fuel Consumption by mayor2013: 8:40am On Dec 10, 2014
What year of camry is this?
Take your car down for scanning. That would help you narrow down the cause of your car problems
Re: My Toyota Camry Engine Excessive Fuel Consumption by chillex8(m): 8:48am On Dec 10, 2014
You need a scan job.

Contact mayor or

Am certain its fixable
Re: My Toyota Camry Engine Excessive Fuel Consumption by Nobody: 8:52am On Dec 10, 2014
airfresher:
Please my people help me,my camry engine. 4 plugs,1.8 engine is swallowing my fuel and thanking me with black smoke from d exhaust pipe.N1500 fuel hardly get to V I from Abule Egba.If I park it for like two days one plug will not work.Please where can I take it to,am rally disturbed.Experts in the house please help a brother.

When did camry start using 1.8 engine? The last time I checked, they used the 2.0L i4 3S-FE in 88-92 MY, 2.2L i4 S-FE from 93-02MY, and 2.4L i4 2AZ-FE from 03-08 and they upped it to 2.5L i4 engine.

2 Likes

Re: My Toyota Camry Engine Excessive Fuel Consumption by airfresher(m): 9:30am On Dec 10, 2014
lomomike:

When did camry start using 1.8 engine? The last time I checked, they used the 2.0L i4 3S-FE in 88-92 MY, 2.2L i4 S-FE from 93-02MY, and 2.4L i4 2AZ-FE from 03-08 and they upped it to 2.5L i4 engine.
. Correct sir.1993 is 2.0 thanks
Re: My Toyota Camry Engine Excessive Fuel Consumption by DECOtech(m): 9:54am On Dec 10, 2014
airfresher:
. Correct sir.1993 is 2.0 thanks

You don't need a scan to know that your car's injector is releasing so much fuel than your engine needs to run.

So many things are wrong with your cars considering the rate at which you claim its consuming fuel

1. Probably non of your O2 sensors are working
2. Your thermostat, (if at all present) must be stuck open
3. Your radiator fan must have been mutilated by your auto. electrician.

You still need a scan to guide you through repairs.

1 Like

Re: My Toyota Camry Engine Excessive Fuel Consumption by AutosBay(m): 10:45am On Dec 10, 2014
what I would do to achieve optimun gas mileage is insuure that the tires have the proper air pressure, a good tune-up including the air and fuel filters and have as less weight as possible. proper tire pressure alone will give you a noticeable difference in fuel economy.

Source: https://answers.yahoo.com/question/?qid=20081231100809AA5YzCs

For the Black smoke read this

http://www.ehow.com/how_7148177_can-toyota-smoking-black-smoke_.html

1 Like

Re: My Toyota Camry Engine Excessive Fuel Consumption by GAZZUZZ(m): 1:06pm On Dec 10, 2014
1993, No regular OBD2 port.

My money is on the map or airflowmeter.

I'm assuming the preasure valve in your fuelpump case has not been abused or blocked.

Its an easy fix in the right hands.
Re: My Toyota Camry Engine Excessive Fuel Consumption by DECOtech(m): 4:36pm On Dec 10, 2014
Gazzuzz, no mind am oh. He's using a camry 2.0L i4 engine to drive a dodge caravan.

How person wan take put mouth for the matter now?
Re: My Toyota Camry Engine Excessive Fuel Consumption by GAZZUZZ(m): 7:12pm On Dec 10, 2014
DECOtech:
Gazzuzz, no mind am oh. He's using a camry 2.0L i4 engine to drive a dodge caravan.

How person wan take put mouth for the matter now?

It really does not matter what engine he uses to power the vehicle, the point is he has a car fault and the problem is centred around excessive burning of fuel. As long as the job was done properly my responses are still the same.

1 Like

Re: My Toyota Camry Engine Excessive Fuel Consumption by DECOtech(m): 7:29pm On Dec 10, 2014
GAZZUZZ:

It really does not matter what engine he uses to power the vehicle, the point is he has a car fault and the problem is centred around excessive burning of fuel. As long as the job was done properly my responses are still the same.

With this kind of contraption, so many corners must have been ignorantly cut to get that vehicle moving. Its on that basis that I'm being discouraged to comment any further.

I'm not tryn to discourage you though.
Re: My Toyota Camry Engine Excessive Fuel Consumption by chillex8(m): 8:22pm On Dec 10, 2014
DECOtech:

With this kind of contraption, so many corners must have been ignorantly cut to get that vehicle moving. Its on that basis that I'm being discouraged to comment any further.

Don't assume what you don't know
Re: My Toyota Camry Engine Excessive Fuel Consumption by GAZZUZZ(m): 9:16pm On Dec 10, 2014
DECOtech:

I'm not discouraged DECOtech, but I have to hear from the Op first. I understand your worries and iv seen my share of shabby work thanks for the heads up bro.
Re: My Toyota Camry Engine Excessive Fuel Consumption by DECOtech(m): 11:22pm On Dec 10, 2014
chillex8:

Don't assume what you don't know

Sorry sir
Re: My Toyota Camry Engine Excessive Fuel Consumption by DECOtech(m): 10:23am On Dec 13, 2014
lomomike:

1989 camry uses 1.8L i4 engine.
Re: My Toyota Camry Engine Excessive Fuel Consumption by GAZZUZZ(m): 1:02pm On Dec 13, 2014
DECOtech:

1989 camry uses 1.8L i4 engine.

What type of engine?
Re: My Toyota Camry Engine Excessive Fuel Consumption by DECOtech(m): 3:50pm On Dec 13, 2014
GAZZUZZ:

What type of engine?

The first and second generation camry, 1983 up till 1991 was powered by 1.8L i4 engines 1S-L, 1S-LU, 1S-iLU, to mention but a few.

There wr even turbo charged diesel 1.8L i4 engines; 1C-TL and 1C-TLC.

Although 2.0. Engines came into the camry picture from about 1985, the 1.8L engines were still in use till 1991

Below is a picture of the first generation camry and second generation camry.

Re: My Toyota Camry Engine Excessive Fuel Consumption by Nobody: 5:09pm On Dec 13, 2014
DECOtech, Its like when PAN was still producing 504 till circa 2004, but in France, Peugeot Psa started production of 406 since 1995.

In some markets, you get the 1985 camry, but the parent company had stopped production of the 1985MY even if production, assembly and sales and was ongoing in other markets and moved to a new design with the 3S-FE 2.0l i4 and V6 models.
Re: My Toyota Camry Engine Excessive Fuel Consumption by DECOtech(m): 6:47pm On Dec 13, 2014
lomomike:
DECOtech, Its like when PAN was still producing 504 till circa 2004, but in France, Peugeot Psa started production of 406 since 1995.

In some markets, you get the 1985 camry, but the parent company had stopped production of the 1985MY even if production, assembly and sales and was ongoing in other markets and moved to a new design with the 3S-FE 2.0l i4 and V6 models.

The argument was weather the toyota camry ever had a 1.8L engine or not.

I think it is settled now.

(1) (Reply)

Why Do Nigerians Form Extra Lanes During Slow Traffic? / Ford Introduces The Drift Stick Performance E-brake For The Focus RS / How I Lost My Peace Via Car Scam

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 29
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.