Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,430 members, 7,808,533 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 01:10 PM

Top Earning Dead Celebrities - Celebrities - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Celebrities / Top Earning Dead Celebrities (16627 Views)

Pics: 5 Dead Celebrities Still Earning More Money (as At 2015) / Michael Jackson Leads List Of Top-earning Dead Celebrities / 13 Top Earning Dead Celebrities For 2013 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Top Earning Dead Celebrities by spikedcylinder: 5:46pm On Dec 04, 2008
Top earning dead celebrities

While everyone is tightening their purse strings to ride out the credit crunch, these celebrities are making millions – they just can’t spend it. Even in death, they are lucky. . . . .
angry angry
Re: Top Earning Dead Celebrities by spikedcylinder: 5:48pm On Dec 04, 2008
Marvin Gaye

Two major studios announced Sexual Healing singer Marvin Gaye's biopics this year, and he has released two re-mastered classic albums. All this means that Gaye made $5.5m in 2007, 23 years after his murder. . . . .

Re: Top Earning Dead Celebrities by spikedcylinder: 5:54pm On Dec 04, 2008
James Dean

Legendary actor James Dean, who came up with the life ethos “Dream as if you’ll live forever, live as if you’ll die today” certainly knew how to live life to the full. The Rebel Without A Cause actor lends his image to Todd’s speciality line, Rebel (which was created specifically with the actor in mind), Converse Shoes and the Mercedes Benz promotions with Marilyn Monroe. The Dean estate received $5m in 2007.

Re: Top Earning Dead Celebrities by spikedcylinder: 5:57pm On Dec 04, 2008
Paul Newman

Paul Newman formally retired from acting in 2007, but his income still came largely from residuals in his classic films. His line of salad dressing, Newman’s Own, had revenues of $120m last year, with Newman donating 100% of the profits to charity. As a result Newman profited $5m in 2007.

Re: Top Earning Dead Celebrities by spikedcylinder: 5:58pm On Dec 04, 2008
Steve McQueen

Star of the classic The Great Escape, Steve McQueen makes his after-life earnings from the number of endorsements he has. He lends his name to Dolce & Gabbana, Balantine scotch whisky, Tag Heuer, and even his own motorcyle brand, making a cool $6m in 2007 alone.

Re: Top Earning Dead Celebrities by spikedcylinder: 6:02pm On Dec 04, 2008
Marilyn Monroe

The only lady on Forbes’ list of Top Earning Dead Celebrities, Marilyn Monroe’s earnings were threatened by litigation over publicity rights last year. However, she still made $6.5m from a Mercedes Benz campaign and a Sunsilk endorsement.

Re: Top Earning Dead Celebrities by spikedcylinder: 6:03pm On Dec 04, 2008
Andy Warhol

Artist Andy Warhol made a reported $9m in 2007, much of which came from merchandise and licensing. His estate has also formed business relationships with Pepe Jeans, Bond No 9 fragrances, Seiko watches and shoe company Royal Elastics.

Re: Top Earning Dead Celebrities by spikedcylinder: 6:07pm On Dec 04, 2008
John Lennon

Murdered Beatles star John Lennon earned himself $9m last year from publishing royalties, merchandising and licensing agreements. Most of Lennon’s earnings for 2007 will go to charity in pursuit of anti-war efforts.

Re: Top Earning Dead Celebrities by spikedcylinder: 6:09pm On Dec 04, 2008
Dr Seuss (Theodor Geisel)

The estate of this best-selling children’s author still enjoys the cash from film adaptations of his famous books. The cartoon version of Horton Hears A Who!, which featured voice work from Jim Carey and Steve Carrell, grossed nearly $300m worldwide following its releasee in March 2008. Seuss’ estate also sees money coming in from publishing and merchandising and even a theme park ride.

Re: Top Earning Dead Celebrities by spikedcylinder: 6:11pm On Dec 04, 2008
Aaron Spelling

Aaron’s archive of hit TV shows, such as Charlie’s Angels and Beverly Hills 90210, line his pockets whenever there’s a rerun. His umbrella company, Spelling Television, also own the rights to various soap operas and the classic Christmas film It’s A Wonderful Life, meaning that for the Spelling family, it really is.

Re: Top Earning Dead Celebrities by spikedcylinder: 6:12pm On Dec 04, 2008
Albert Einstein

Albert Einstein was a very clever man. Baby Einstein, a range of learning tools for infants, mainly owned by Disney, is an expanding business. International licensing with Nestlé’s Japanese coffee brand, Charge, and an upcoming trainer campaign with basketball player Kobe Bryant, means that Einstein keeps raking in the pennies. He made $18m in 2007.

Re: Top Earning Dead Celebrities by spikedcylinder: 6:13pm On Dec 04, 2008
Heath Ledger

The tragic death of Heath Ledger in January 2008 was all the more haunting with his portrayal of the Joker in Batman: The Dark Knight. But less than a year on, and Heath’s already up there with the greatest dead celebrity earners. Heath had secured a merchandising deal for the Batman film and received a percentage of the box office. He also received upfront payments for his work on the unfinished The Imaginarium Of Doctor Parnassus, and reportedly earned over $20m last year.

Re: Top Earning Dead Celebrities by spikedcylinder: 6:14pm On Dec 04, 2008
Charles M Schulz

The Peanuts cartoonist Charles M Schulz died in 2000 of colon cancer. A partnership was formed last October between the Peanuts comic and Warner Bros studios, creating a flurry of fresh Peanuts content. This sent the cult cartoon flying off shelves and placed its creator safely at No 2 on Forbes' list of the highest earning dead celebrities. Charlie Brown even got involved with the Rock The Vote Campaign in America.

Re: Top Earning Dead Celebrities by spikedcylinder: 6:15pm On Dec 04, 2008
Elvis Presley

Despite being dead for 31 years, he's still topping Forbes’ list of high earning dead celebrities. The King’s income has now reached $52m, having made $3m in the last year alone from attendance and merchandise at Graceland and the new Elvis Sirius Satellite Radio.

Re: Top Earning Dead Celebrities by iice(f): 8:38pm On Dec 04, 2008
Hmmmm James Dean grin
Re: Top Earning Dead Celebrities by Emad(f): 10:23pm On Dec 04, 2008
oh dear Elvis is still so hansome even after his death grin

if i were born when he was alive i dont think he would have resisted me

a pity he was racist sad
Re: Top Earning Dead Celebrities by Raymond88(m): 12:12am On Dec 05, 2008
Emad:

a pity he was racist sad

That rumour was started by people who felt that he stole black peoples music, there's no proof that he hated people because of their race. Not that i'm a fan of the guy or anything.
Re: Top Earning Dead Celebrities by spikedcylinder: 8:03am On Dec 05, 2008
iice:

Hmmmm James Dean grin

And. . . . ? cheesy

Emad:

oh dear Elvis is still so hansome even after his death grin

if i were born when he was alive i don't think he would have resisted me

Ah! Lucky for you. I don't think I would have been able to stand all that facial hair. Wetin? undecided
Re: Top Earning Dead Celebrities by JosBoy4Lif(m): 8:12am On Dec 05, 2008
What about J.D. Rockefeller? (He owned STANDARD OIL)
He is the richest documented human being, EVER undecided Time Value of Money taken into consideration (inflation)

[size=14pt]ROCKEFELLA IS AN ARMY BETTA GET THE NAVY, NIGGA's ILL SPIT AT YA LADY KIDNAP YA BABY [/size]- JAY ZED

John D. Rockefeller in 1885
Born July 8, 1839(1839-07-08)
Richford, New York, USA
Died May 23, 1937 (aged 97)
The Casements, Ormond Beach, Florida, USA
Occupation Chairman of Standard Oil Company; investor; philanthropist
Net worth ▲$318.3 billion, according to Wealthy historical figures 2008, based on information from Forbes - February 2008.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_D._Rockefeller
Re: Top Earning Dead Celebrities by spikedcylinder: 10:27am On Dec 05, 2008
Thanks Raymond. I can't get 'em all, everyone is free to add their own input. smiley
Re: Top Earning Dead Celebrities by Opslag(m): 10:32am On Dec 05, 2008
Includin me right?
Re: Top Earning Dead Celebrities by spikedcylinder: 10:57am On Dec 05, 2008
Opslag:

Includin me right?

You as per dead celebrity or you as per adding your own input? undecided tongue
Re: Top Earning Dead Celebrities by Opslag(m): 9:49pm On Dec 05, 2008
:omeans u aint wishin me gud.i'm alive,was referin to the "input" stuff.
Re: Top Earning Dead Celebrities by spikedcylinder: 3:21pm On Dec 06, 2008
Yea, sure.
Re: Top Earning Dead Celebrities by iice(f): 8:24am On Dec 07, 2008
Spike. . .and he's cute tongue
Re: Top Earning Dead Celebrities by Emad(f): 5:31pm On Dec 07, 2008
Raymond88:

That rumour was started by people who felt that he stole black peoples music, there's no proof that he hated people because of their race. Not that i'm a fan of the guy or anything.

well he said if he knew Mexican people loved my music i would never have been a musician,
and had to apologize to the press shortly after,

that was a rascist statement! it did not need to have been directed at black people in order for it to be rascist

The latino americans to fought for civil rights like black people did.
Re: Top Earning Dead Celebrities by vislabraye(m): 7:07pm On Jul 14, 2009
Michael Jackson should be on thatlist
Re: Top Earning Dead Celebrities by sexyLeamon(f): 7:09pm On Jul 14, 2009
where is my MJ?
Re: Top Earning Dead Celebrities by Bamsyle(m): 8:35pm On Jul 14, 2009
MJ died only 'yesterday' . . . too early to make a statement on his posthumous earnings . . . these are dudes who died shortly after Jesus was crucified . . .  grin
Re: Top Earning Dead Celebrities by iice(f): 1:01pm On Jul 15, 2009
Bamsyle:

MJ died only 'yesterday' . . . too early to make a statement on his posthumous earnings . . . these are dudes who died shortly after Jesus was crucified . . .  grin

angry angry
Re: Top Earning Dead Celebrities by spikedcylinder: 1:18pm On Jul 15, 2009
Bamsyle:

MJ died only 'yesterday' . . . too early to make a statement on his posthumous earnings . . . t[b]hese are dudes who died shortly after Jesus was crucified[/b] . . .  grin

Lol! cheesy
Re: Top Earning Dead Celebrities by nabila1230: 6:53am On Sep 19, 2011
NEW YORK (Reuters) -- Rock 'n' roll legend Elvis Presley ceded his crown to Nirvana lead singer Kurt Cobain on Forbes.com's list as the top-earning dead celebrity.

The list, published on Tuesday, said grunge rocker Cobain earned $50 million between October 2005 and October 2006. Presley wound up in the No. 2 slot with $42 million, down from last year's $45 million.

Forbes.com bases its dollar amounts on licensing deals for using the deceased celebrities' work or image in advertising or elsewhere.

This was Cobain's first time on the list in its six years of publication. Presley has ruled the roost since its inception, said Forbes.com staff writer Lacey Rose.

Cobain's coup was due to his widow, actress and singer Courtney Love, who sold a 25-percent stake in the Seattle grunge group's song catalog to New York music publishing company PrimeWave.

Ranked after Presley is "Peanuts" cartoon strip creator Charles Schulz at $35 million.

Rounding out the top five were Beatle John Lennon at $24 million and groundbreaking physicist Albert Einstein at $20 million, whose estate profited from such licensing deals as the popular "Baby Einstein" educational videos.

Other celebrities on the list include Theodore Geisel, better known as children's book author Dr. Seuss; rhythm & blues pioneer Ray Charles, silver screen legend Marilyn Monroe and reggae superstar Bob Marley.

Past top earners include songwriter Irving Berlin and actor Marlon Brando
Top Celebrities

(1) (Reply)

Jennifer Ephraim Foundation Flagsoff 500 Widows Feeding Project To Mark Birthday / AY Apologises For Tweeting About Wife's Car / Desmond Elliot Celebrates 11th Wedding Anniversary

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 37
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.