Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,034 members, 7,807,094 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 09:26 AM

Fish Farming Business - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Fish Farming Business (72198 Views)

How To Start A Rice Farming Business In Nigeria - Make Millions! / How To Start A Mushroom Farming Business / Starting A Pigry Farming Business (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Fish Farming Business by rasque(m): 3:02pm On Aug 11, 2006
Anyone got any ideas on Fish farming and how to go about it??

I know there are several seminars but is there anyone involved in it here and what companies could you recommend for dealing with?

I intend to invest in fish farming. Thank you
Re: Fish Farming Business by aloib(f): 3:04pm On Aug 11, 2006
wat type of fishfarming, i was into one,
Re: Fish Farming Business by rasque(m): 3:29pm On Aug 11, 2006
Catfish is the inthing in Nigeria now but any other ideas would be welcomed
Re: Fish Farming Business by aloib(f): 3:44pm On Aug 11, 2006
where in naija are u, how big, wat type, concrete tanks, ordinary,
Re: Fish Farming Business by eniola1310(f): 9:33pm On Aug 11, 2006
it's really simple, i'm into one myself. just check the newspaper say guardian and u'll fine one DYNATO or something, u can go for the seminar. with like 200k u can make it big depending on what scale u choose to operate in . better still go to a fish farm near u for some time and learn. finish
Re: Fish Farming Business by rasque(m): 10:26pm On Aug 11, 2006
@Aloib I'm in Lagos, I am a novice about fish farming and whatever information I can get would be welcomed.

@Eniola, thanks for the info, do you have the address for the Dynato
Re: Fish Farming Business by Larufa(m): 2:37pm On Aug 12, 2006
rasque:

@Aloib I'm in Lagos, I am a novice about fish farming and whatever information I can get would be welcomed.

@Eniola, thanks for the info, do you have the address for the Dynato

Hello Rasque, Please be careful when paying to attend any seminar. Some of these seminars are not detailed enough, just theory based (deliver by a Laptop farmer) no pratical value. Always ask around from someone that might have attended such seminars inorder to to choose a good one and get value for your money.

Take your time and check this site : http://srac.tamu.edu/index.cfm?catid=3

Do alot of reading before investing.
Re: Fish Farming Business by Remmzy(m): 2:45pm On Aug 12, 2006
Good work guys, think am interested in this Fish farming thing,  someone told me its worth a try!
Re: Fish Farming Business by beelyjay45(m): 4:12pm On Aug 12, 2006
Well rasque u have to thank God first for his mercies I have all the knowledge anyone can tell u about fish farming.

but i do have to ask u some question though

1. How much are u hoping to invest in dis project?
2. do u have the neccessary capital and manpower to suatain you 4 5months b/4 u start selling ur fishes
3. Were re u based and which part of the country do u intend to set ur fish farm?

if u can answer this 3 questions then i will be in the position to determine whether u are able to start a fish farm or not
and dont get confused if u play ur cards very well u will be reaping ur investment back in 2 or 3 harvests.
Re: Fish Farming Business by dude(m): 4:41pm On Aug 12, 2006
beelyjay45:

Well rasque u have to thank God first for his mercies I have all the knowledge anyone can tell u about fish farming.

but i do have to ask u some question though

1. How much are u hoping to invest in this project?
2. do u have the neccessary capital and manpower to suatain you 4 5months b/for you start selling your fishes
3. Were re u based and which part of the country do u intend to set your fish farm?

if u can answer this 3 questions then i will be in the position to determine whether u are able to start a fish farm or not
and don't get confused if u play your cards very well u will be reaping your investment back in 2 or 3 harvests.

so lets answer this for me before the author sends in his response.

1. say am hoping to invest 500,000
   2. don't exactly get your drift by having necessary capital and manpower for 4/5 months sustainance.
   3. am based in Abuja. but will situate the farm at kuje as there will be no space facility and convienience to have it in town.

been thinking of combining fishing and poultry, but like the author of this post, i have limited knowldege on starting. if you are a practical expert, maybe we can talk on a professional level.
Re: Fish Farming Business by ibux(m): 1:01pm On Aug 14, 2006
for dude, remzy and rasque.

I posted a similar topic on nairaland
https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-14713.0.htm

I was able to pick this link from there
http://uk.groups.yahoo.com/group/catfishfarmersnig/

It should be OK for you for starters.
Re: Fish Farming Business by beelyjay45(m): 6:18pm On Aug 14, 2006
cost of digging bore hole in Ijebu-Ode = 170,000x2 = 340,000
2. cost of blocks to be used for 4 plots @ N60 per blocks multiply 13,000 blocks = N780,000
3. 500 bags of cement @ N1000 per bag = N500,000
4. 12 lorrries of gravel @ N8,000 per lorry = N96000
5. 30 lorries of sharp sand @N6,000 per lorry = N180,000
6. 18 soft sand = N54,000
7. Plumping works = N150,000
8. Pond preparation = N35,000
N2,135,000

9. 5000 Liter Water Tanks @ N35,000 per tank = N210,000
10. 3 Sink hole @ NN30,000 per hole = N90,000
11. Bricklayer = 250,000
Plumber = 50,000
Worker and Spervision = N360,000
N3,095,000

STOCKING

Cost of 20,000 Juveniles @ N20 per Juvenile = N400,000
Palleting machine = N30,000
Drying machine = N30,000
N460,000
Cost of feeding for Six months

You are expected to spend N120 per fish @ N120 x 20,000 = 2,400,000

N2,860,000

Expected Profit

Mortality 75% of the total Stock = 15,000

Market price for Ikg of fish N320 @ N320 X 15,000 = N4,800,000

N4,800.00 - 2,860,000

Net profit = N1,940,000

Total Expenses = N2,860,000 + N3,095,000 = N5,955,000.00

These is how much i spent in establishing mine in ijebu ode u can do the mathematics yourself and find out how much you really need. LOL
Re: Fish Farming Business by Seun(m): 6:45pm On Aug 14, 2006
Wow, thanks for the information, but that's almost 6 million naira you spent! :-o

1 Like

Re: Fish Farming Business by shadex1(m): 7:30pm On Aug 14, 2006
@rasque
I got this guy that helped us in setting ours up n d dude makes over 1million naira every monday,
I don't think running a fish farm is something hard or expensive because at the back of my house are two fish ponds with over 2000 fishes and about 100 shooters of bout 5-7kg each and we ve been selling and eating from it for about 3months.

With 800-1Mil u can start your fish farm n should be expectin a profit of bout 500 - 1mil at the end of the first set which would take about 6-8 months if you follow the instructions.
Cost of buildin the tanks is approximately 200k provided you have a steady supply of water
2000fingerlings is approximately = 50,000 at 25naira each
1kg goes for 400naira and with proper feeding you would get them to a size of about 2kg in a period of 6months

Its going to be kinna hard to explain how to build it.
Am going to use mine to explain,
we have three fish tanks,two for the fishes which can contain 1000 fishes each and the third one for the shooters,
You would need a bricklayer to help you with that,
when you are done buildin it,fill the thanks with water and put 4 bags of poultry manure at the four corners ot the thanks to neutralize the acidity in the cement and to add spirogyra to the water leave it inside for 2-4 weeks,4weeks for optimum result.
drain the water and fill it back with fresh water and i you can put the fishes inside now
talking about the feeding,
Amma post later want to get d full low down on this thingy.

i know my information is kinna vague but Amma post later,would get d full low down on this thingy by tomoroz from peeps in the house that were involved because i only do the eating
Re: Fish Farming Business by rasque(m): 1:37pm On Aug 16, 2006
Thanx to you all.

@ $hadex: Can I get the contact of the person that help you in setting yours up? I'm looking at starting with about 200K and expand in future.

Any more information would be welcomed.
Re: Fish Farming Business by beluvic: 11:58am On Aug 17, 2006
hi i also want to start a fish farm,i stay in Abuja.does anyone has a farm i visit so that i have an idea how it works,
Re: Fish Farming Business by manakins: 4:13pm On Aug 18, 2006
Very intresting thread and i suppose quite alot of us would learn from this.Pls anybody else that has info concerning the above should pls post.
Also i wish to ask that what about using dug earth pits.As in the ground then filling it up with water.What sort of soil would be okay?Agreed fingerlings can be breed in a tank but how long do u take to transfer them into this natural habitat if agreed.What is the feeding partern for the fishes and how many time do you have to drain the pit before maturity?Also whats the importance of sawdust as in fish mills.How can you make your fishmeals urself.
Thanks for sharing information.
Re: Fish Farming Business by mustafar1: 5:11am On Aug 19, 2006
can anyone of y'all who is into fishery/fish farming give me names of fish feeds. websites if available would be really appreciated. thanks
Re: Fish Farming Business by ajayi1(m): 8:30pm On Aug 19, 2006
i KNOW ABOUT FISH STUFF, IF YOU NEED FINS, I HAVE IT JUST CONTACT ME. 08058508531
Re: Fish Farming Business by obua: 9:17am On Aug 22, 2006
@ Shandex,
I learnt that fish farming attracts snakes. Do you have any incident of snakes infestation in your neighbourhood ?
Re: Fish Farming Business by obawale(m): 5:27pm On Aug 24, 2006
i am interested in fish farming too.
is it true that the fishes feed on magot from poltry waist?
Re: Fish Farming Business by naijacutee(f): 4:25am On Aug 25, 2006

Im interested in this as well, for future reference. But N5m is a lot of money - £25,000!!!
Re: Fish Farming Business by obawale(m): 9:47am On Aug 25, 2006
Am very sorry, that post was done by error. I mean poultry waste, and the maggot is the insect larva (the worm-shaped larva of various members of the fly) I think you are clear now. Thanks

If anybody have any idea on this pls. let me know.
Re: Fish Farming Business by bijorium(m): 11:33pm On Aug 25, 2006
Great post!
Re: Fish Farming Business by jadefour20: 8:25pm On Sep 13, 2006
Hi beelyjay,

I saw your post on Naira Land regarding your impressive fish farming, I'm quite interested in this project,

Considering the amount of money you invested in this, I would say you are doing this commercially or is this still small scale? How big is it?

Please can you send me technical details of your fish farm pond e.g. lenght, depth etc.

Any info would be of great help.

Cheers
jadefour
Re: Fish Farming Business by kton(m): 2:09pm On Jan 26, 2007
please! is there any one in the house who is into big or medium scale fish farming business and is ready to teach me the skills involve?
Re: Fish Farming Business by peace2all(m): 2:31pm On Jan 26, 2007
@k-ton.I produce about 10,000 catfish in six to nine months. And I am expanding.My goal is to be producing 100,000 fish per harvest. The skill involve are not that complex.You just have to visit any good seminar. And it all depends on how much you are ready to invest, and your location.

Good Luck

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Fish Farming Business by Things(m): 3:04pm On Jan 26, 2007
@ k-tone
k-ton:

please! is there any one in the house who is into big or medium scale fish farming business and is ready to teach me the skills involve?

pls understand this very well, from my experience in this fish farming, it is a"eni to'lori o ni fila, eni to ni fila o n'ori" in this context what im saying is some have the full working knowledge of the farming but dont have the wherewithall to put their knowledge into a "huge" fish farm and some just have the wherewithall, no knowledge and a "huge" farm.

Note not in all cases, so b4 you attach yourself to a big time fish farmer, be sure you know the person is not full of theory no practical and how the person started ie not a moneybag who knows nothing, because if you get close enough to these "huge farms" you'll find out that the person that's making the farm tickle is one ordinary, low and an inopportuned fellow.

k-tone, i dont know peace2all, but i appreciate humble beginnings check him out, if you are not far from him. i know a couple of people who could be helpful if you are serious,let me know by way of reply if you are interested.
Re: Fish Farming Business by benb(m): 5:58pm On Jan 26, 2007
hi
am Ben a successful fish farmer.
am into fingerling production and grow out
technology.i started with 250fingerlings,now i
produce thousands of fingerlings and also grownout
tonnes of fishes.for more info or practicals at
my farm you can reach me on 08023221215.
    Ben
Re: Fish Farming Business by superman(m): 7:34pm On Jan 26, 2007
suscribin
Re: Fish Farming Business by kioboy(m): 1:17pm On Jan 28, 2007
I am very much impress by this informative threads, well my thanks goes to Seun for keeping up this platform.
Re: Fish Farming Business by kioboy(m): 1:21pm On Jan 28, 2007
@benb
which state are you located? cos i will like to visit your farm and see things myself, i live in Rivers state. and i have a burning desire to venture into fish/poutry farming this year

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply)

Nigerians Celebrate New N100 Note / Fewa: Femi Otedola Celebrates His Only Son On His Birthday (Photo) / What Type Of Lucrative Business Can One Start With #500,000

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 43
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.