Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,496 members, 7,781,483 topics. Date: Friday, 29 March 2024 at 03:21 PM

How Do You Know Your Religion Or Denomination Is The Right One - Religion (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / How Do You Know Your Religion Or Denomination Is The Right One (22761 Views)

Before You Judge That Man By His Religion Or Tribe...read This. / His Wife’s Change Of Denomination Is Affecting Their Marriage / Common Denomination In Church Offering Bags (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How Do You Know Your Religion Or Denomination Is The Right One by sample042(m): 10:56am On Dec 14, 2014
MzNelly:

Like I said initially, there's only one God. The one in heaven. No one is arguing that fact.

About the true religion? It has to be the ones who base their teachings on the Bible. undecided That's all.

Ignoramus.
Meant no harm
Re: How Do You Know Your Religion Or Denomination Is The Right One by That2: 10:58am On Dec 14, 2014
yungmill:

those where under the old testament of which men made most laws by themselves eg. The laws of moses

Pls show me anywhere in the new testament which is the covenant with jesus christ did any of ur aforementioned happened

Don't mistake the covenant of christ with abraham, get ur facts ryt
Did you read anything he posted up there at all? And are you saying the covenant of Abraham isn't an integral part of Christianity. Why don't you scrap off the old testament away from the Bible since it so useless? You used it when it suits you but ignore all the unfavorable parts there.

2 Likes

Re: How Do You Know Your Religion Or Denomination Is The Right One by malvisguy212: 11:01am On Dec 14, 2014
That2:
Exactly the same can be said of Islam, All religion tries to exclude themselves from bad eggs by labeling them "Not true".
Jihadist beheads toddler =He isn't a true Muslim
Adolf Hitler murder millions =He isn't a true Christian
Then what is the basis of religion? When it can't instill moral values on individuals. You can't just labelled these bag eggs "Not true Christians/Muslims" when in fact they change the coarse of history! You read how Christianity was just a "Small cult" until an emperor made it official and kill, prosecute and banished all pagan worshippers yet you say he isn't a true Christian. You read how the slave traders used the Bible to justify slavery and tortured Christianity into the minds of blacks yet you say they aren't true Christians. Tell me! If not for these "untrue Christians/Muslims" would we be having this conversation? If not for them would any Nigerians be Christians or Muslim? Why are you now expunging them away from history while they literary affect every part of your life? Why are blacks like this, why!
did you read my post?
The foundation of christianity is jesus christ,did he advice us to kill or revenge? But evidence from the quran and history show muhammed fought war and own slave.
Re: How Do You Know Your Religion Or Denomination Is The Right One by Nobody: 11:02am On Dec 14, 2014
grin grin tongue Atheism is the one and only true religion tongue no mind-controlling
Re: How Do You Know Your Religion Or Denomination Is The Right One by malvisguy212: 11:03am On Dec 14, 2014
charlesditro:
Heaven is not ment for Christians nor muslims. its ment for u and i.
heaven is meant for those who believe in the word of God(john1:1) .
Re: How Do You Know Your Religion Or Denomination Is The Right One by malvisguy212: 11:05am On Dec 14, 2014
beestruck:
grin grin tongue Atheism is the one and only true religion tongue no mind-controlling
evidence show atheism are the worst in times of killing.
Re: How Do You Know Your Religion Or Denomination Is The Right One by That2: 11:08am On Dec 14, 2014
malvisguy212:
did you read my post?
The foundation of christianity is jesus christ,did he advice us to kill or revenge? But evidence from the quran and history show muhammed fought war and own slave.
Then exclude the old testament from the Bible were worst things happens. Since Jesus is the only way and light you don't need that testament or it would be used to judge Christianity. Even Jesus condone slavery btw.

1 Like

Re: How Do You Know Your Religion Or Denomination Is The Right One by alhabeeb(m): 11:09am On Dec 14, 2014
McSterling:
This is an honest question that believers do not like to ask themselves. You are a Christian or Muslim simply because your parents were, and thus indoctrinated you with it. Some of you overzealous Christians would have been terrorists by now, had you been raised in a Muslim home.
meaning.
Re: How Do You Know Your Religion Or Denomination Is The Right One by Nobody: 11:11am On Dec 14, 2014
sample042:

Ignoramus.
No offence.

None taken.
Re: How Do You Know Your Religion Or Denomination Is The Right One by malvisguy212: 11:13am On Dec 14, 2014
That2:
Then exclude the old testament from the Bible were worst things happens. Since Jesus is the only way and light you don't need that testament or it would be used to judge Christianity. Even Jesus condone slavery btw.
what is the worst thing that happen in the old testement? If you want to quote how God killed unbelievers you must quote the whole story let us see there evil deed.
Re: How Do You Know Your Religion Or Denomination Is The Right One by That2: 11:16am On Dec 14, 2014
malvisguy212:
did you read my post?
By the way you didn't address the question. I ask If not for these "untrue Christians" would we be having this conversation? When so called "bad Christians" spreads the Gospel to you, you should question that Gospel. If it is so great they wouldn't be so bad!

1 Like

Re: How Do You Know Your Religion Or Denomination Is The Right One by hasshams: 11:19am On Dec 14, 2014
malvisguy212:
the quran say heaven and earth was once join together before allah seperate it, science dose not agree with this, the quran say fluid(sperm) emancipated from the back born and rib, this is wrong,there are a lot of error in it.

the Bible was not written as a work of
science nor was its purpose to describe the workings
of the physical world. It was written to explain
spiritual principles - the nature of mankind, the
nature of God, and how people can have a personal
relationship with God. However, when the Bible
describes the physical world, it is accurate.
Time had a beginning
2 Timothy 1:9, Titus 1:2, 1 Corinthians 2:7
Scientific evidence show the universe had a beginning.
The universe was created from the invisible
Hebrews 11:34
The dimensions of the universe were created
Romans 8:38-39
The universe is expanding
Job 9:8, Psalm 104:2, Isaiah 40:22. Their are a lot of it, but this is not the purpose of the bible.
oh please brother,don't believe this,4 it is most likely from d deceivers,the muslims's qur'an has never said The heaven and earth was once joint nad god seperated them,this even sounds insane.from what I found out is that God created the heavens and so also the earth in six days,there is never anything like joint heaven and earth.if that is the case who created them and join tem that god have to come and seperate them?andsecondly,I think it might interest you to know that there are over hundreds of facts given by the qur'an that are scientifically proven,coz Allah the creator of everything the giver of knowledge(e.g science knowledge) knows his creations better than any so called scientist.so even if the qur'an said that The Sperm is emancipated from d back bone and scientist happened to suggest a different thing as you claimed then d error should be from them not d creator,beside scientist have many times without number gives out results of their scientific findings where by later on may be after many years of further research then come up with a proof that contradict and falsify the fist one condeming it completely to make the later one the genuine.pls google the qur'an facts confirmed by scientist.and mind you,sorry to say this your things you hv quoted from d bible gives nothing a man can stand on talk-less of prooving anything.I am not amuslim but I will be ready to accept islam after I am done with my research which I'm already getting to conclusion.pls my brother,I will not call you to join me but I would like you to calm yourself down,get reed of any sentiment and search for the truth,the true religion wich explains everything about this world and beyond

1 Like

Re: How Do You Know Your Religion Or Denomination Is The Right One by That2: 11:21am On Dec 14, 2014
malvisguy212:
what is the worst thing that happen in the old testement? If you want to quote how God killed unbelievers you must quote the whole story let us see there evil deed.
Unbelievers, Yes unbelievers! How god used used Moses, Judas etc to kill them the same way Allah used Muhammad to kill their own version of unbelievers. And you find nothing wrong in yours but find everything wrong in theirs. Another waste of time!

2 Likes

Re: How Do You Know Your Religion Or Denomination Is The Right One by malvisguy212: 11:22am On Dec 14, 2014
That2:
By the way you didn't address the question. I ask If not for these "untrue Christians" would we be having this conversation? When so called "bad Christians" spreads the Gospel to you, you should question that Gospel. If it is so great they wouldn't be so bad!
thank you for calling them untrue christians, if you want me to answer your question, then you must quote from the bible were jesus teaching encourage killing.
Re: How Do You Know Your Religion Or Denomination Is The Right One by malvisguy212: 11:26am On Dec 14, 2014
hasshams:
oh please brother,don't believe this,4 it is most likely from d deceivers,the muslims's qur'an has never said The heaven and earth was once joint nad god seperated them,this even sounds insane.from what I found out is that God created the heavens and so also the earth in six days,there is never anything like joint heaven and earth.if that is the case who created them and join tem that god have to come and seperate them?andsecondly,I think it might interest you to know that there are over hundreds of facts given by the qur'an that are scientifically proven,coz Allah the creator of everything the giver of knowledge(e.g science knowledge) knows his creations better than any so called scientist.so even if the qur'an said that The Sperm is emancipated from d back bone and scientist happened to suggest a different thing as you claimed then d error should be from them not d creator,beside scientist have many times without number gives out results of their scientific findings where by later on may be after many years of further research then come up with a proof that contradict and falsify the fist one condeming it completely to make the later one the genuine.pls google the qur'an facts confirmed by scientist.and mind you,sorry to say this your things you hv quoted from d bible gives nothing a man can stand on talk-less of prooving anything.I am not amuslim but I will be ready to accept islam after I am done with my research which I'm already getting to conclusion.pls my brother,I will not call you to join me but I would like you to calm yourself down,get reed of any sentiment and search for the truth,the true religion wich explains everything about this world and beyond
the quran teaches heaven and earth was once join together.

“Have those who disbelieved not considered that
the heavens and the earth were a joined entity,
then We separated them, and made from water
every living thing? Then will they not
believe?” (Quran 21:30)
Re: How Do You Know Your Religion Or Denomination Is The Right One by Nobody: 11:27am On Dec 14, 2014
McSterling:
What is the percentage of those who convert? How many can even sustain the thought of converting. We can conduct a survey here on NL and ask adherents of each religion if they can convert to a rival religion or any religion for that matter for any reason. We can even go further to ask if they can ever leave their present sect for another e.g Catholic to Pentecostal or Sunni to Shi'a. The overwhelming response would be "NO".Why? Because each adherent feels absolutely confident that he's in the right. Infact, in recent times, more Muslims and Christians are deconverting and becoming nonbelievers than they are converting to the other's religion.

You imply that there are many other possible reasons apart from indoctrination why one might adhere to one religion over others, please let me know these "many possible reasons". The fact remains that the vast majority of religious adherents believe what they believe simply because they were raised in such belief systems. Anybody who disagrees is simply being dishonest and is a perfect epitome of indoctrination himself.
Bro, you still fail to grasp what I'm saying. While you agree with me that for some indoctrination is not the reason for their believes you went ahead asking me the percentage of those people like that matters. probably you and many others who are critics of religion were most probably also indoctrinated in one believe or the other. Why not ask yourself why you and many others like you are now at odds with the believes you were indoctrinated in if indoctrination is the sole reason behind ones religious believes. You still went ahead to Ask for the percentage of those who were able to keep up with their new found believes. Should we also consider those who have gone back and fort their entire lives?

The baine of my argument is this. As adults we all get to question all what we have been taught in childhood. Its a psychological fact. That is why many adolescents are always at odds with elders and that is why the human society is an ever changing one. There are cultures we get to keep from childhood and there are those we get to discard. To further prove my point. Islam and Christianity are today known as the most populous religions in the world. But was that always so? Africa knew nothing of these religions that are so popular today. Was indoctrination any part of the reasons these religion became popular? At the end people just uphold believes that makes the most sense to their view of life. A view that must have been full of very many experiences of which indoctrination is just a part of.
Re: How Do You Know Your Religion Or Denomination Is The Right One by honourhim: 11:28am On Dec 14, 2014
Etetejake:

He ask how to know the true one and u ar answering as if u were there wen Jesus was born. I wish to know more.
U ar a born and brought up christian. so am I. but wot do u think a Muslim will say about his own religion if not that his is also a 100% true religion?

Kindly go to page 1 and see my reply. Thanks.
Re: How Do You Know Your Religion Or Denomination Is The Right One by malvisguy212: 11:31am On Dec 14, 2014
That2:
Unbelievers, Yes unbelievers! How god used used Moses, Judas etc to kill them the same way Allah used Muhammad to kill their own version of unbelievers. And you find nothing wrong in yours but find everything wrong in theirs. Another waste of time!
the unbelivers you are referring to is the amalakites, when the isrealites are coming from egypt out of bondage , the amalakites were the first to attack the isrealite kill them, but God speared them until there marssure has been full. But muhammed is the first that wage war on the pagan in meccan because they did not agree with his new found faith.
Re: How Do You Know Your Religion Or Denomination Is The Right One by SweetyZinta(f): 11:35am On Dec 14, 2014
there is only one truth! Qur'an. It revealed many tins d bible couldn't they include:- Jesus's miracles like making birds out of clay and breathin life into it, telling people wat they ate and wat they have in their store in suratul baqara. Suratul juma'a also said 'O you who believe Leave ur businesses and pray a congregational prayer after which u go back 2 ur biz. Bible hasnt bn able 2specify or prove goin 2church on sunday
Re: How Do You Know Your Religion Or Denomination Is The Right One by iamord(m): 11:35am On Dec 14, 2014
beestruck:
your profile pic!!!! grin deep as 4k !!! Did you read my previous posts?
Re: How Do You Know Your Religion Or Denomination Is The Right One by malvisguy212: 11:44am On Dec 14, 2014
That2:
The Amalekites attacked the Israelites without
apparent provocation as they were traveling during
the Exodus ( Ex 17:cool. "When you were weary and
worn out, they met you on your journey and cut off
all who were lagging behind" ( Dt 25:17-18). They
later attacked Israel during the time of the Judges
( Jdg 3:13) and often raided the Israelites' land after
they had planted crops, leaving them with nothing
( Jdg 6:2-5). God punished the Amalekites by ordering
Saul to destroy them (1 Sam 15:2-3) - over 300 years
after they had first attacked Israel. During that time,
the Amalekites had contact with the Israelites and
would have heard about God. They could have
repented and changed their ways, but they continued
to raid and plunder other cities up to the time of Saul
and David ( 1 Sam 30:1-3). The Amalekites that Saul
and David warred against were clearly no better than
their ancestors who had first waylaid Israel.

This is the judgment of God on the amalekites,

The LORD said to Moses, "Write this on a scroll as
something to be remembered and make sure that
Joshua hears it, because I will completely blot out
the memory of Amalek from under heaven."
Moses built an altar and called it The LORD is my
Banner. He said, "For hands were lifted up to the
throne of the LORD. The LORD will be at war
against the Amalekites from generation to
generation." ( Ex 17:14-16)

There judgment has been pronounce long before the appointment of joshua but God speared them untill they filled the meassure of their sin.
Re: How Do You Know Your Religion Or Denomination Is The Right One by malvisguy212: 11:51am On Dec 14, 2014
SweetyZinta:
there is only one truth! Qur'an. It revealed many tins d bible couldn't they include:- Jesus's miracles like making birds out of clay and breathin life into it, telling people wat they ate and wat they have in their store in suratul baqara. Suratul juma'a also said 'O you who believe Leave ur businesses and pray a congregational prayer after which u go back 2 ur biz. Bible hasnt bn able 2specify or prove goin 2church on sunday
wow, jesus gives life to a living thing, talk when he was 2 days old? Then jesus is a deity(God). The quran called him the word of God and spirit of God, the bible called him the son of God. How do you reconcile all this attribute in both the bible and quran liken jesus to ?
Re: How Do You Know Your Religion Or Denomination Is The Right One by sample042(m): 11:51am On Dec 14, 2014
denigma2:
The reality is that in order to answer the question, of which religion is the right one, we've got to think for ourselves based on available information.
We've got to think from the known to the unknown
If per adventure I find myself inside a moving train or a bus, which kind of questions would I ask myself? Why am I here? Where is this train going to? Where am I coming from? Who placed me here? What is expected of me?...
Everyone other thing would be insignificant until I find answers to these questions.
Unfortunately, we've all taken these life defining questions for granted. If we spend our entire lives seeking the reasons, essence and source of our existence, it would be worthwhile.
We end up depending on others for answers. Lets ask ourselves. Can we depend on another stranger's description when locating a new place. Then why depend on others for answers to these questions. It will be unacceptable if we agree with others' opinions on these hook, line and sinker without thinking through them thoroughly.
Read the Quran, Bible, Torah e.t.c and ask yourself some important questions:
Can Jesus be God?
After death what next?
Who is my Creator?
Why did He create me?

Ryt from my childhood, I've been asking questions WHY AM HERE?

Why did he create me?
Re: How Do You Know Your Religion Or Denomination Is The Right One by honourhim: 11:56am On Dec 14, 2014
plaetton:

Quite false.
I know quite a number of dedicated Christians who converted to Islam.

My dear forget the islam story. The koran is an adulterated version of the bible. It came after the bible.

Your koran recognized Jesus, Moses, John the baptist and some other biblical chracters as prophets of God. It even mentioned that God took Jesus to heaven.

Obviously an adulterated version cannot be the original. I ll rather go for the original.
Re: How Do You Know Your Religion Or Denomination Is The Right One by emmahoney(m): 12:05pm On Dec 14, 2014
Having gone true some of the comments on this subject matter, it is pertinent to conclude that the answers are framed along everyone's belief!! The way they were brought up, the message they have digested over time. But, as a matter of fact, this earth is a confused world!! Religion or no religion, do good to all men knowing fully well that there might be or not be Heaven(Everyone's knows that death is certain without being told by any religious. Book). Peace to you all

2 Likes 3 Shares

Re: How Do You Know Your Religion Or Denomination Is The Right One by podosci(m): 12:31pm On Dec 14, 2014
shdemidemi:
We must first admit in our heart that creation and our being is beyond what an imperfect man can put together. After scaling the hurdle of consciousness of a supernatural being, our next inquisition should be narrowed to who he is and how he can be known.

Every religion of the world touch a bit of the supernatural being. We must discern what religion esteem the creature to the religion that points us to the creator.

The next hurdle should be the religion that best describes man and the one that best describe God in His fullness. This might demand a lot of interest, study and willingness to learn.
So which religion do u feel best describes man and describes God?
Re: How Do You Know Your Religion Or Denomination Is The Right One by NextProdigy(m): 12:32pm On Dec 14, 2014
There is no true religion; only ONE TRUE GOD. The Almighty God who created the heavens and the earth; he who created all men muslims, christians, atheists, black, white, green, purple. God made man but man made religion. We should learn to live peacefully with one another regardless of our different beliefs.

1 Like

Re: How Do You Know Your Religion Or Denomination Is The Right One by ibnzubair(m): 12:32pm On Dec 14, 2014
What religion preaches is to be good to yourself and to others, and order good. and forbid evil. And worship God as a source of motivation and remembrance
Re: How Do You Know Your Religion Or Denomination Is The Right One by podosci(m): 12:33pm On Dec 14, 2014
emmahoney:
Having gone true some of the comments on this subject matter, it is pertinent to conclude that the answers are framed along everyone's belief!! The way they were brought up, the message they have digested over time. But, as a matter of fact, this earth is a confused world!! Religion or no religion, do good to all men knowing fully well that their might be or not be Heaven. Peace to you all
If we had more people like you, the world would be a better place......
Re: How Do You Know Your Religion Or Denomination Is The Right One by podosci(m): 12:40pm On Dec 14, 2014
honourhim:

My dear forget the islam story. The koran is an adulterated version of the bible. It came after the bible.

Your koran recognized Jesus, Moses, John the baptist and some other biblical chracters as prophets of God. It even mentioned that God took Jesus to heaven.

Obviously an adulterated version cannot be the original. I ll rather go for the original.
Both of you were born Muslims or Christians......u are in affiliated with a particular religion because of the ur parents or ground parents.......There was no exam in heaven to determine or to chose ur religions.......Every body was born human first before subscribing to a particular religion.....jews came before christians and then came muslims......there are over 8billion people in the world and a single religion has jst over 1billion,,,,,,,are you people trying to say depending on ur religion, the rest 7billion are going to hell?......and each religion believes the other is going to hell.....so who is going to hell and who is going to heaven?
Re: How Do You Know Your Religion Or Denomination Is The Right One by McSterling(m): 12:41pm On Dec 14, 2014
Ichiato:

Bro, you still fail to grasp what I'm saying. While you agree with me that for some indoctrination is not the reason for their believes you went ahead asking me the percentage of those people like that matters. probably you and many others who are critics of religion were most probably also indoctrinated in one believe or the other.

Why not ask yourself why you and many others like you are now at odds with the believes you were indoctrinated in if indoctrination is the sole reason behind ones religious believes. You still went ahead to Ask for the percentage of those who were able to keep up with their new found believes. Should we also consider those who have gone back and fort their entire lives?

The baine of my argument is this. As adults we all get to question all what we have been taught in childhood. Its a psychological fact. That is why many adolescents are always at odds with elders and that is why the human society is an ever changing one. There are cultures we get to keep from childhood and there are those we get to discard. To further prove my point. Islam and Christianity are today known as the most populous religions in the world. But was that always so? Africa knew nothing of these religions that are so popular today. Was indoctrination any part of the reasons these religion became popular? At the end people just uphold believes that makes the most sense to their view of life. A view that must have been full of very many experiences of which indoctrination is just a part of.
I asked the percentage because I wanted you to contrast the number of such people who have converted to another religion and those who haven't. Of course I didn't expect you to quote any figures for me. When you contrast and compare these two you'll find out that the former is overwhelmingly low. That tells you that people are most likely never going to change their religion.

Many of us who have dumped religion didn't find it easy at all. It took a lot of struggle and time for us to dump it. But how many people can do this? How many can even attempt to question their beliefs? Aren't they mostly arrogant and uppity? Don't they think they're always right and others wrong even when evidence points against this? Don't we see them here on NL saying religion shouldn't be approached with reason or logic but with faith alone? And these are people who won't believe other things without thinking it through or requiring evidence, why is there an exception with religion? Don't you think the confusion of those going back and forth is a product of indoctrination? That should explain why they can't leave their religion once and for all.

Not everybody has the guts to question their religion, and the vast majority of those who do still hold on to their religions because of the fear their indoctrination has infused in them. That's when you hear stuff like "the ways of God are mysterious" and "God understands" or "we'll find out in heaven" and all such twaddle. And even those who abandon their religion still have their worldview shaped or heavily influenced by the religious culture they'd been indoctrinated with. And yes, indoctrination is one main reason why religions have spread. It's a vicious circle. Your parents teach you, and you teach your children and so on. Let's not forget society's role too. Why do you think the Bible tells you to teach your children religion from an early age? Why are there institutions meant for kids solely for religious instruction? It is to ensure that your beliefs crystallize with time in so much that you'll be very unlikely or unable to change it when you're grown, and consequently ensure continuance of that religion.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Do You Know Your Religion Or Denomination Is The Right One by podosci(m): 12:49pm On Dec 14, 2014
frosbel:
Many are avoiding this topic because they refuse to change and start to think for themselves. They have left the thinking and decisions to Pastors, MOG, Imams , Sheiks and so on and so forth.

It's really sad that grown men and women refuse to make use of the greatest wonder and gift to MAN , i.e the BRAIN.

Think people , don't be scared, come lets talk.

cool
The brain is the only universally accepted thinking mechanism.....its a pity 70% of humans have decided to abandon there brains and let pastors and imams think for them.........Science is used to print the bible and Quran, science is used to build churches and mosques, science is used to save the moneys of those greedy pastors......Many have brains but not all can think

5 Likes 2 Shares

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

Kemi Olunloyo Begs For Forgiveness As She Testifies In Church (Video) / Pope Francis Appoints Bishop Peter Okpaleke, 20 Others As Cardinals / In 70 Years Of RCCG; Have You Been To Redemption Camp?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 95
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.