Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,205 members, 7,780,366 topics. Date: Thursday, 28 March 2024 at 01:08 PM

How Do You Know Your Religion Or Denomination Is The Right One - Religion (9) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / How Do You Know Your Religion Or Denomination Is The Right One (22758 Views)

Before You Judge That Man By His Religion Or Tribe...read This. / His Wife’s Change Of Denomination Is Affecting Their Marriage / Common Denomination In Church Offering Bags (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How Do You Know Your Religion Or Denomination Is The Right One by larrymoore(m): 12:50pm On Dec 14, 2014
I know my is right because it can be found on d internet.
Re: How Do You Know Your Religion Or Denomination Is The Right One by podosci(m): 12:55pm On Dec 14, 2014
McSterling:
Not everybody has the guts to question their religion, and the vast majority of those who do still hold on to their religions because of the fear their indoctrination has infused in them. That's when you hear stuff like "the ways of God are mysterious" and "God understands" or "we'll find out in heaven" and all such twaddle. And even those who abandon their religion still have their worldview shaped or heavily influenced by the religious culture they'd been indoctrinated with. And yes, indoctrination is one main reason why religions have spread. It's a vicious circle. Your parents teach you, and you teach your children and so on. Let's not forget society's role too. Why do you think the Bible tells you to teach your children religion from an early age? Why are there institutions meant for kids solely for religious instruction? It is to ensure that your beliefs crystallize with time in so much that you'll be very unlikely or unable to change it when you're grown, and consequently ensure continuance of that religion.
Religion has evolved to a subconcious culture......most people are jst affiliated with a particular religion, the go to church on sunday because it is sunday and every other persons go, some pray in the mosque 5 times daily because its a culture........the church or mosque dosnt affect the persons behaviour....people still fornicate, steal, commit murder...and still go to church or mosque......Religion is jst a culture that has to be discarded with

3 Likes

Re: How Do You Know Your Religion Or Denomination Is The Right One by McSterling(m): 12:59pm On Dec 14, 2014
jesuslovesme123:

No, it's not, dear soul. You just need to keep an open mind, and not feel threatened by The Truth.

John 8:32 - "Then you shall know the truth, and the truth will set you free"
Okay, Madame/Mademoiselle.
Re: How Do You Know Your Religion Or Denomination Is The Right One by Weah96: 1:01pm On Dec 14, 2014
iamord:
seems the hippie and eastern religions are the new sh.it

Hippie logic is always dismissed as, well, hippie logic. But if it wasn't for weed, black people would be living under segregation today.

The whites who agreed with MLK's argument that everyone is born free were in all likelihood STONERS. The only way to shake a strong paradigm like racism is by taking drugs. Just like Islam in Northern Nigeria. Only drugs can save those communities from their radicalized selves.

1 Like

Re: How Do You Know Your Religion Or Denomination Is The Right One by Nobody: 1:01pm On Dec 14, 2014
Sheenor:

How....Does the Op ask if Jesus is the way?....
atleast,last I checked I have freedom of speech
Re: How Do You Know Your Religion Or Denomination Is The Right One by emmyrabson(m): 1:07pm On Dec 14, 2014
Each person is born in a circumstance which is not of his own choosing. The religion of his family or the ideology of thestate is thrust upon him from the very beginning of his existence in this world. By the time he reaches his teens, he is usually fully brain-washed into believing that the beliefs of his particular society are the correct beliefs that everyone should have. However, when some peoplemature and are exposed to other belief-systems, they begin to question the validity of their own beliefs. The seekers of truth often reach a point of confusion upon realizing that each and every religion, sect, ideology and philosophy claims to be the one and only correct way for man. Indeed, they all encourage people to do good. So, which one is right?They cannot all be right since each claimsall others are wrong. Then how does the seeker of truth choose the right way?God gave us all minds and intellects to enable us to make this crucial decision. It is the most important decision in the life of a human being. Upon it depends his future, Consequently, each and every one of us must examine dispassionately the evidence presented and choose what appears to be right until further evidence arises.Like every other religion or philosophy, Islam also claims to be the one and only true way to God. In this respect it is no different from other systems. This bookletintends to provide some evidence for the validity of that claim. However, it must always be kept in mind that one can only determine the true path by putting aside emotions and prejudices, which often blind us to reality. Then, and only then, will we be able to use our God-given intelligence and make a rational and correct decision.There are several arguments, which may be advanced to support Islam’s claim to be the true religion of God. The following are only three of the most obvious. The first argument is based on the divine origin of the names of the religion and the comprehensiveness of its meaning. The second deals with the unique and uncomplicated teachings concerning the relationship between God, man, and creation. The third argument derives from the fact that Islam is universally attainableby all men at all times. These are the threebasic components of what logic and reason dictate necessary for a religion to be considered the true religion of God. The following pages will develop these concepts in some detail.
Re: How Do You Know Your Religion Or Denomination Is The Right One by emmyrabson(m): 1:10pm On Dec 14, 2014
The Religion’s NameThe first thing that one should know and clearly understand about Islam is what the word ‘Islam” itself means. The Arabic word “Islam” means the submission or surrender of one’s will to the only true God, known in Arabic as “Allah”. One who submits his will to God is termed in Arabica “Muslim”. The religion of Islam is not named after a person or a people, nor wasit decided by a later generation of man, as in the case of Christianity which was named after Jesus Christ, Buddhism after Gautama Buddha, Confucianism after Confucius, Marxism after Karl Marx, Judaism after the tribe of Judah and Hinduism after the Hindus. Islam (submission to the will of God) is the religion which was given to Adam, the firstman and the first prophet of God, and it was the religion of all the prophets sent by Allah to mankind. Further its name waschosen by God Himself and clearly mentioned in the final scripture which He revealed to man. In that final revelation, called in Arabic the Qur’an Allah states the following:“This day have I perfected your religion foryou, completed My favour upon you, and have chosen for you Islam as your religion.” [Qur’an 5:3]“If anyone desires a religion other than Islam (submission to God), never will it beaccepted of Him.” [Qur’an 3:85]Hence, Islam does not claim to be a new religion brought by Prophet Mohammed into Arabia in the seventh century, but rather to be a re-expression in its final form of the true religion of Almighty God, Allah, as it was originally revealed to Adam and subsequent prophets.At this point we might comment briefly ontwo other religions that claim to be the true path. Nowhere in the Bible will you find God revealing to Prophet Moses’ people or their descendants that their religion is called Judaism, or to the followers of Christ that their religion is called Christianity. In other words, the names “Judaism” and “Christianity” had no divine origin or approval. It was not until long after his departure that the name Christianity was given to Jesus’ religion.What, then, was Jesus’ religion in actual fact, as distinct from its name? (Both the name Jesus and the name Christ are derived from Hebrew words, through Greek and Latin. Jesus is the English and Latin form of the Greek Iesous, which in Hebrew Is Yeshua or Yehoshua’ (Joshua) [messiah], which is a title meaning ' the anointed'.) His religion was reflected in his teachings, which he urged his followers to accept as guiding principles in their relationship with God. In Islam, Jesus is a prophet sent by Allah and his Arabic name is Eesa. Like the prophets before him, he called upon the people to surrender their will to the will of God (which is what Islam stands for). For example, in the New Testament it is stated that Jesus taught his followers to pray to God as follows:“Our father in heaven, hallowed be your name, may your will be done on earth as itis in heaven.” [Luke 11:2/Matthew 6:9-10]This concept was emphasised by Jesus in a number of his statements recorded inthe Gospels. He taught, for example, that only those who submitted would inherit paradise. Jesus also pointed out that he himself submitted to the will of God.“None of those who call me ‘Lord’ will enter the kingdom of God, but only the one who does the will of my Father in heaven.” [Matthew 7:21]“I cannot do anything of myself I judge as I hear and my judgment is honest because I am not seeking my own will butthe will of Him who sent me.” [John 5:30]There are many reports in the Gospels which show that Jesus made it clear to his followers that he was not the one true God. For example, when speaking about the final Hour, he said:“No-one knows about the day or hour, noteven the angels in heaven, not the son, but only the Father.” [Mark 13:32]Thus, Jesus like the prophets before him and the one who came after him, taught the religion of Islam: submission to the will of the one true God.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: How Do You Know Your Religion Or Denomination Is The Right One by plaetton: 1:46pm On Dec 14, 2014
honourhim:

My dear forget the islam story. The koran is an adulterated version of the bible. It came after the bible.

Your koran recognized Jesus, Moses, John the baptist and some other biblical chracters as prophets of God. It even mentioned that God took Jesus to heaven.

Obviously an adulterated version cannot be the original. I ll rather go for the original.
Silly response.

This is exactly what the op is about.
Every bloke thinks, promotes and hawks his/ her own mental delusions as truer than the rest.
You are the example.

7 Likes

Re: How Do You Know Your Religion Or Denomination Is The Right One by bisayor(m): 2:06pm On Dec 14, 2014
frosbel:
Countless people were saved outside the religion of those days , For instance , Job :

"In the land of Uz there lived a man whose name was Job. This man was blameless and upright; he feared God and shunned evil." - Job 1:1

Others included Caleb, Ruth , etc who were favoured because they lived an honourable life in reverence for God.

So , why is this not applicable today ?? Why can a man who lives a righteousness life with the fear of God not be acceptable in God's sight ?
and you can't compare the kind of world they lived in then to ours. The world is now more corrupt and decay compared to the earlier generations. Which will obviously get worse as the end time nears. So basically it's difficult to live an upright life like they did without religion as a guide.
Re: How Do You Know Your Religion Or Denomination Is The Right One by showafrica(m): 3:05pm On Dec 14, 2014
Well from the human point of reasoning...I think there is a political hyrachy going on in heaven. Where the highest post is given to the prophet or angel who is controlling the higher masses of human beings. Mohammed saw this and set up this processes of killing christians in order to overtake Jesus. .. To me, any man with good heart should go to heaven irrespective of religion..

May God forgive me if my thoughts are wrong.
Re: How Do You Know Your Religion Or Denomination Is The Right One by honourhim: 6:18pm On Dec 14, 2014
plaetton:

Silly response.

This is exactly what the op is about.
Every bloke thinks, promotes and hawks his/ her own mental delusions as truer than the rest.
You are the example.

If you were reasonable enough you would ve noticed I was respondng to a muslim issue.

You are an atheist what are you doing with the question that bothers on religion? Shows how you people are living in self deceit.
Re: How Do You Know Your Religion Or Denomination Is The Right One by 1stola: 6:29pm On Dec 14, 2014
frosbel:
Lets be honest, we are all born into a culture , religion and tradition. We are a product of these factors plus the additional factor of parental upbringing.

Considering that there are over 50 world religions including the main ones , i.e Islam and Christianity each with a plethora of denominations or sects , especially in Christianity with over 40,000 sects and still growing, how can one be 100% confident that his/her religion and sect is the right one ??

Mr A is a Muslim and can swear with his life that Islam is the one and true religion and without this no one can be saved, Mr B is a Christian who believes that anyone who does not believe in Jesus is forever lost. But they were born into these religions and were tutored from kindergarten that they ONLY worship the true GOD.

Furthermore at a high level , [s] the Sunnis believe the Shiites are hell bound and vice versa, [/s] Deeperlife believe they have the right doctrines but so do Christ embassy and redeemed.

We have so many doctrines, teachings, beliefs etc , but HOW DOES MAN FILTER THROUGH ALL THIS CONFUSION TO KNOW WHICH IS THE RIGHT WAY ?

Knowing that 40% of the worlds population will never agree with Islam or Christianity or may not even have heard about them, how can we be so sure that we are right and they are wrong and we are saved but they are damned. What is the premise for your conclusion ?

Please help me here.

Mr. man
stop spreading bullshíts
Re: How Do You Know Your Religion Or Denomination Is The Right One by plaetton: 7:19pm On Dec 14, 2014
honourhim:

You are an atheist what are you doing with the question that bothers on religion? Shows how you people are living in self deceit.

Well sir, when it rains, it rains on everyone of us.
Right here in Terra Firma, the irrationality and madness of religion affects both the religilous and the non-religious.

So, until you are raptured away from here and into your celestial la la land grin , all issues of the religilous concerns us all.

8 Likes

Re: How Do You Know Your Religion Or Denomination Is The Right One by Nobody: 8:06pm On Dec 14, 2014
McSterling:
I asked the percentage because I wanted you to contrast the number of such people who have converted to another religion and those who haven't. Of course I didn't expect you to quote any figures for me. When you contrast and compare these two you'll find out that the former is overwhelmingly low. That tells you that people are most likely never going to change their religion.
You see, you still had to compare and contrast after I specifically explained that it those not matter. We are not in argument as to weather or not people will likely change the religion they were brought up in, as a matter of fact I do agree with you but I don't agree that indoctrination is the one sole reason for this. As I pointed out earlier there are those like you who have proved your very position on this argument wrong. Our great grandfathers (or should i say ancestors)were also indoctrinated in their tranditional believes but many of those traditional believes have gone to oblivion today and you still talk about indoctrination been the one sole reason. My father was born into a Muslim home but today he is a staunch Catholic who I believe will never change his view. I also know of one bishop sanusi who was also born into a Muslim home but today he is a Catholic and was even the bishop of ijebu ode at some point. These are just few examples and their number as against the number of those who never changed is irrelevant. The fact is these people exist and they are prove indoctrination is not the sole reason people remain with religious believe

McSterling:
Many of us who have dumped religion didn't find it easy at all. It took a lot of struggle and time for us to dump it. But how many people can do this? How many can even attempt to question their beliefs? Aren't they mostly arrogant and uppity? Don't they think they're always right and others wrong even when evidence points against this? Don't we see them here on NL saying religion shouldn't be approached with reason or logic but with faith alone? And these are people who won't believe other things without thinking it through or requiring evidence, why is there an exception with religion? Don't you think the confusion of those going back and forth is a product of indoctrination? That should explain why they can't leave their religion once and for all.

Not everybody has the guts to question their religion, and the vast majority of those who do still hold on to their religions because of the fear their indoctrination has infused in them. That's when you hear stuff like "the ways of God are mysterious" and "God understands" or "we'll find out in heaven" and all such twaddle. And even those who abandon their religion still have their worldview shaped or heavily influenced by the religious culture they'd been indoctrinated with. And yes, indoctrination is one main reason why religions have spread. It's a vicious circle. Your parents teach you, and you teach your children and so on. Let's not forget society's role too. Why do you think the Bible tells you to teach your children religion from an early age? Why are there institutions meant for kids solely for religious instruction? It is to ensure that your beliefs crystallize with time in so much that you'll be very unlikely or unable to change it when you're grown, and consequently ensure continuance of that religion.
I stated earlier that all humans are bound to question what they have been taught since childhood. It's a psychological fact. Many remain with their religious believes because despite the many questions their religion has failed to answer leaving the said religion only creates more unanswered questions or at best unfavorable answers. And for those who scaled the huddle they got their desired answers elswhere (weather in atheism or other known religion) I'm also not saying this step was an easy one but never the less it was made. That is why I stated earlier that our life experience shapes our philosophy of it and this in turn shapes the way we think. Indoctrination can only be part of these experiences. This also explains why some people still find their way into religion outside indoctrination.
Those who fail to reason or reply questions with answers such as the bolded are some part of the numerous unreasonable people in the world of which some also are atheist or would you argue otherwise?

1 Like

Re: How Do You Know Your Religion Or Denomination Is The Right One by honourhim: 8:41pm On Dec 14, 2014
plaetton:

Well sir, when it rains, it rains on everyone of us.
Right here in Terra Firma, the irrationality and madness of religion affects both the religilous and the non-religious.

So, until you are raptured away from here and into your celestial la la land grin , all issues of the religilous concerns us all.

You are not being honest in your reply. The truth remains that your heart cannot do away with the reality of God's existence. Down deep in your heart the truth that God exist keeps hitting you hard hence you keep getting yourself involved in disucssions about him.

Again the guy I replied made a muslim related point of which I listed out to him why I can't trust his religion more than mine with instances in koran. Rather than wait for him to come and defend himself( at least to tell me that the people I mentioned are not recognized in the Koran as I posited) you jumped in with your irrelevant response even when you are neither a muslim nor a religionist. Obviously the truth is hunting you that you are living a life of self deceit in your denial of God's existence.
Re: How Do You Know Your Religion Or Denomination Is The Right One by McSterling(m): 9:47pm On Dec 14, 2014
Ichiato:

You see, you still had to compare and contrast after I specifically explained that it those not matter. We are not in argument as to weather or not people will likely change the religion they were brought up in, as a matter of fact I do agree with you but I don't agree that indoctrination is the one sole reason for this. As I pointed out earlier there are those like you who have proved your very position on this argument wrong. Our great grandfathers (or should i say ancestors)were also indoctrinated in their tranditional believes but many of those traditional believes have gone to oblivion today and you still talk about indoctrination been the one sole reason. My father was born into a Muslim home but today he is a staunch Catholic who I believe will never change his view. I also know of one bishop sanusi who was also born into a Muslim home but today he is a Catholic and was even the bishop of ijebu ode at some point. These are just few examples and their number as against the number of those who never changed is irrelevant. The fact is these people exist and they are prove indoctrination is not the sole reason people remain with religious believe

I stated earlier that all humans are bound to question what they have been taught since childhood. It's a psychological fact. Many remain with their religious believes because despite the many questions their religion has failed to answer leaving the said religion only creates more unanswered questions or at best unfavorable answers. And for those who scaled the huddle they got their desired answers elswhere (weather in atheism or other known religion) I'm also not saying this step was an easy one but never the less it was made. That is why I stated earlier that our life experience shapes our philosophy of it and this in turn shapes the way we think. Indoctrination can only be part of these experiences. This also explains why some people still find their way into religion outside indoctrination.
Those who fail to reason or reply questions with answers such as the bolded are some part of the numerous unreasonable people in the world of which some also are atheist or would you argue otherwise?
Why do you think it doesn't matter to compare and contrast? You point the few who have left their religions as evidence against indoctrination, I point the overwhelming many who haven't (and probably won't) and ask us to contrast both to reach a reasonable conclusion and you think it doesn't matter? Since you want us to accept this few as evidence against indoctrination, I ask,"what, my good sir, should we do about the many who haven't?" Ignore them? What do they point at? Don't they tell us that people will most likely not change their religion? Which is exactly the point I'm trying to make. People will most likely not change the religion they were brought up in. That is evidence of indoctrination. I'm not arguing whether some people at some time or the other have left their religion or not because infact, many have. But what about the vast overwhelming majority who haven't and probably won't? We can't overlook that, even if that's what you want. In a survey, when you pass out a questionnaire, you don't reject some of the replies you get and accept the others. Everything you get is regarded as data, whether you like it or not. It is from this data that you make calculations and reach a conclusion. That is the scientific process.

And yes, atheists are not immune from being unreasonable. Some atheists hold bizarre and preposterous beliefs. The only unifying thing among us is a lack of belief in God, leaving room for varying eccentricities.
Re: How Do You Know Your Religion Or Denomination Is The Right One by malvisguy212: 10:10pm On Dec 14, 2014
[color=][/color]
frosbel:
Countless people were saved outside the religion of those days , For instance , Job :

"In the land of Uz there lived a man whose name was Job. This man was blameless and upright; he feared God and shunned evil." - Job 1:1

Others included Caleb, Ruth , etc who were favoured because they lived an honourable life in reverence for God.

So , why is this not applicable today ?? Why can a man who lives a righteousness life with the fear of God not be acceptable in God's sight ?
they were saved by faith in God
.what you are trying to say here is this, good deed can saved a sinner,the idea of earning salvation through good deed is a belief in islam and judaism.. The idea
arose from a system that is dedicated to the teaching and practice of the law. However, the law, given by God, has been expanded by the rules of men as they attempted to interpret every instance of human behavior. As a result, the Jewish law is now all- encompassing, and even more difficult to obey than when it was originally given.

Being right with God;
So how do you become righteous enough to be
acceptable in the eyes of God? Much of the world has
decided that one can become acceptable to God if
the good deeds outweigh the bad deeds. The
problem is that this concept is never stated in the
Old Testament. The Hebrew word, yeshuah (Strong's
number H3444), or one of its derivatives, usually
translated "salvation," nearly always refers to a work
of God. In fact, in 104 out of 106 instances
"salvation" refers specifically to a work of God that
has nothing to do with any human effort.

A verse from the Psalms specifically ties salvation to belief:
Because they did not believe in God, And did not
trust in His salvation. ( Psalm 78:22)
Another verse indicates quite clearly that humans are unable to intercede on their own behalf because of our lack of righteousness:
And He saw that there was no man, And was
astonished that there was no one to intercede;
Then His own arm brought salvation to Him; And
His righteousness upheld Him. ( Isaiah 59:16)

The book of hebrew teaches salvation in the old testement https://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Hebrews+11&version=NKJV
Re: How Do You Know Your Religion Or Denomination Is The Right One by Etetejake(m): 10:26pm On Dec 14, 2014
honourhim:

Kindly go to page 1 and see my reply. Thanks.
Thanks
Re: How Do You Know Your Religion Or Denomination Is The Right One by Nobody: 10:38pm On Dec 14, 2014
McSterling:
Why do you think it doesn't matter to compare and contrast? You point the few who have left their religions as evidence against indoctrination, I point the overwhelming many who haven't (and probably won't) and ask us to contrast both to reach a reasonable conclusion and you think it doesn't matter? Since you want us to accept this few as evidence against indoctrination, I ask,"what, my good sir, should we do about the many who haven't?" Ignore them? What do they point at? Don't they tell us that people will most likely not change their religion? Which is exactly the point I'm trying to make. People will most likely not change the religion they were brought up in. That is evidence of indoctrination. I'm not arguing whether some people at some time or the other have left their religion or not because infact, many have. But what about the vast overwhelming majority who haven't and probably won't? We can't overlook that, even if that's what you want. In a survey, when you pass out a questionnaire, you don't reject some of the replies you get and accept the others. Everything you get is regarded as data, whether you like it or not. It is from this data that you make calculations and reach a conclusion. That is the scientific process.

And yes, atheists are not immune from being unreasonable. Some atheists hold bizarre and preposterous beliefs. The only unifying thing among us is a lack of belief in God, leaving room for varying eccentricities.
Man I get tired of writing or typing very easily and as such I hate to repeat myself. I never downplayed the relevance of the many who will or might never change their religious believes instead I explained some other reasons besides indoctrination that could be the reason for their refusal to change. As a matter of fact you're the one who tried to downplay the relevance of the few who did change by bringing up the many people who will or might never change. Why not explain the few that did change like I explained the many that will or might never change these believes. I also pointed out to the history of Africa which for many years had their own traditional believes but majority have now abandoned these believes for new ones regardless of indoctrination. Why not explain that uh? I stated clearly that indoctrination aside, religion fills a void in the lives of believers one which if they leave these believes will become a big empty space. Religion gives them purpose of life, reason for existence and many more. And atheism does not answer these questions for them. And "NO", pointing out that majority of people will or might never change their religious believes does not mean indoctrination is the reason for that. You also have to prove that indoctrination is the reason for their refusal to change which you have failed to do so far.
Thank you for accepting that it is not only religious believers that are been unreasonable.

1 Like

Re: How Do You Know Your Religion Or Denomination Is The Right One by plaetton: 1:58am On Dec 15, 2014
McSterling:

Hhhmmm!

cool
Re: How Do You Know Your Religion Or Denomination Is The Right One by plaetton: 2:06am On Dec 15, 2014
Weah96:

Hippie logic is always dismissed as, well, hippie logic. But if it wasn't for weed, black people would be living under segregation today.

The whites who agreed with MLK's argument that everyone is born free were in all likelihood STONERS. The only way to shake a strong paradigm like racism is by taking drugs. Just like Islam in Northern Nigeria. Only drugs can save those communities from their radicalized selves.

Isn't it a tad suspicious that even in the staunchest liberal democracies don't allow citizens to freely ingest substances that influence consciousness, perception and world views ?
Why are governments nervous and afraid of substances that elevate consciousness?

2 Likes

Re: How Do You Know Your Religion Or Denomination Is The Right One by Weah96: 2:48am On Dec 15, 2014
plaetton:

Isn't it a tad suspicious that even in the staunchest liberal democracies don't allow citizens to freely ingest substances that influence consciousness, perception and world views ?
Why are governments nervous and afraid of substances that elevate consciousness?

Well, in their defense, I would be nervous too. They have absolutely nothing to gain from the legalization of these substances.

I suspect that the actual reason involves the survival of the institutions and structures that enforce the drug laws. These systems fight to survive, like living organisms.
Re: How Do You Know Your Religion Or Denomination Is The Right One by Infomizer(m): 7:53am On Dec 15, 2014
This..

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: How Do You Know Your Religion Or Denomination Is The Right One by McSterling(m): 8:38am On Dec 15, 2014
Ichiato:

Man I get tired of writing or typing very easily and as such I hate to repeat myself. I never downplayed the relevance of the many who will or might never change their religious believes instead I explained some other reasons besides indoctrination that could be the reason for their refusal to change. As a matter of fact you're the one who tried to downplay the relevance of the few who did change by bringing up the many people who will or might never change. Why not explain the few that did change like I explained the many that will or might never change these believes. I also pointed out to the history of Africa which for many years had their own traditional believes but majority have now abandoned these believes for new ones regardless of indoctrination. Why not explain that uh? I stated clearly that indoctrination aside, religion fills a void in the lives of believers one which if they leave these believes will become a big empty space. Religion gives them purpose of life, reason for existence and many more. And atheism does not answer these questions for them. And "NO", pointing out that majority of people will or might never change their religious believes does not mean indoctrination is the reason for that. You also have to prove that indoctrination is the reason for their refusal to change which you have failed to do so far.
Thank you for accepting that it is not only religious believers that are been unreasonable.
What do I need to explain about those who changed? I am one of them. I believed wholeheartedly the creed of Christianity because I was fed with it ere I could think for myself. But now I've discarded it though it was no easy task. My discarding it doesn't preclude the fact that I was indoctrinated in the first place. Same goes for many others. We were all indoctrinated whether we had the guts to leave that religion or not. Even if indoctrination isn't the only reason why people still adhere to their religion, it is safe to say it laid the foundation and is therefore an intrinsic factor for sustained belief. Why do you think BH guys go on endless and senseless rapine and killing sprees? Why is it that they can blow themselves up? How did they come about such lugubrious assurance or grim conviction? Why is it that many religionists arrogantly think with 100 percent conviction that only their brand of religion is right and all others are wrong and are going to hell? This fact of indoctrination is something some honest believers concede to. But some can't just bring themselves to accept this because it vitiates their ego. They like to think like you that they chose their religion themselves or that their options among religions wasn't narrowed down by culture.

Yes, religion fills a void for many. That is why they think their very essence depends on it. But again, the very religion that fills this void is so often predetermined by culture. Why doesn't Taoism, Jainism, Buddhism, Confucianism, etc, fill the void for many Nigerians? Why does it always have to be Christianity or Islam? But these eastern religions fill the void for those who have grown up in cultures that host them. And yet many who weren't brought up in any religious culture do not feel this void that only religion can fill. What this should tell you is that the so called void and whatever is believed to fill it, are but products of indoctrination in themselves.

The white man surpassed our forefathers both intellectually and in military might. Ours fathers were illiterate. Their beliefs were never written down, only passed down by oral traditions. Beliefs weren't universal and varied from village to village and clan to clan. Deities were many and members of the same family could have different deities. There was no single religion to unify the various peoples. We lacked vast empires. We only had tribal kings or rulers. Islam was used to unify and homogenize the Arab world, making them strong and powerful. Usman Dan Fodio homogenized and unified the north with this literate religion called Islam. Any wonder why Islam is still deeply entrenched in the north today, even after years of colonization? World religions have always recognized the power of the book. That's why you have the Bible and the Koran. This, our fathers lacked. Would Christianity or Islam be where they are today if they lacked a holy writ? I doubt. So, considering all these, is it any wonder that the white man conquered us and imposed his religion on us? We were clearly no match for the white man.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: How Do You Know Your Religion Or Denomination Is The Right One by tonychristopher: 9:18am On Dec 15, 2014
Here are the 10 points:

Christianity is the only religion in which God reaches out to man. All other religions are attempts by man to reach up to God.
Christianity is the only religion that fully deals with sin because of Christ’s atoning work on the Cross.
Christianity is the only religion that allows followers into the presence of the Father.
Christianity is the only religion that offers its followers true assurance of salvation because our salvation is based upon Christ’s works, not our own.
Christianity is the only religion in which the Holy Spirit is promised to us, and dwells in us.
Christianity is the only religion in the world where its leader is the judge of all mankind.
Christianity is the only religion in which our leader was raised from the dead.
Christianity is the only religion in which death is truly conquered.
Christianity is the only religion in which it’s leader was born of a virgin, lived a perfect life according to God’s Law, and fulfilled countless Old Testament prophecies.
All the leaders of every other religion, need Christ as their Savior as well as their followers.
Re: How Do You Know Your Religion Or Denomination Is The Right One by Nobody: 9:39am On Dec 15, 2014
^^^^

Good.

I have a small question then.

For the millions and millions of African ancestors who never heard about Christ, how will they be saved without Christ ?

1 Like

Re: How Do You Know Your Religion Or Denomination Is The Right One by macof(m): 12:57pm On Dec 15, 2014
Maamin:
There is No religion, there is no Denomination...But there is God and is not define by any established religion or denomination. He only wants to fellowship with every individual..through our own little individual understanding of his existence.

Wonder why so many Atheist in the Religion section anyways! undecided

There is God? Look at how u sound so stuupid with that line

Religion defines God.

There is no God outside religion.

Don't confuse "Creator" with "God"

1 Like

Re: How Do You Know Your Religion Or Denomination Is The Right One by macof(m): 12:59pm On Dec 15, 2014
Maamin:

I arrived at this through careful knowledge of God the almighty. Know his creations then you know him.

I agree with the bold. But b careful not to confuse yourself

Gods are defined by their worshipers(aka creators)
The Creator is defined by it's creations

1 Like

Re: How Do You Know Your Religion Or Denomination Is The Right One by Maamin(m): 1:35pm On Dec 15, 2014
macof:

There is God? Look at how u sound so stuupid with that line

Religion defines God.

There is no God outside religion.

Don't confuse "Creator" with "God"

You sound very very stuuupid with that bolded line. angry

When has religion come before God?
Religion is just man-made institute to reach God, but God in himself is not define by any religion or denomination.

You must be the one confusing between God and creator. Can a creator be a God? Yes!. Can a God be a creator? Yes!
Is now left for you to differentiate between Creators and Gods.

There is just one creator and source of life in which all others exist and I believe he is more supreme to be called God as well he does not need religion or denomination to manifest and be known.

1 Like

Re: How Do You Know Your Religion Or Denomination Is The Right One by tomistelle(f): 6:53am On Dec 19, 2014
SweetyZinta:
there is only one truth! Qur'an. It revealed many tins d bible couldn't they include:- Jesus's miracles like making birds out of clay and breathin life into it, telling people wat they ate and wat they have in their store in suratul baqara. Suratul juma'a also said 'O you who believe Leave ur businesses and pray a congregational prayer after which u go back 2 ur biz. Bible hasnt bn able 2specify or prove goin 2church on sunday

Oh shut it already,,did you write d bible??what u dunno u either keep shut about it or don't say say tinz out of ignorance..its people lyk u who causes religious crisis in d country
Re: How Do You Know Your Religion Or Denomination Is The Right One by Nobody: 7:28am On Dec 23, 2014
malvisguy212:
evidence show atheism are the worst in times of killing.
The evidence please. What I know is that christians are worst in times of killing, even worse than muslims. Christians r ever ready 2 force their religion down everyone's throat, yet they don't even respect d imaginary friend they believe in
Re: How Do You Know Your Religion Or Denomination Is The Right One by khiaa(f): 2:53am On Feb 24, 2015
honourhim:

1. salvation is not restricted to the four walls of the church.

2. God can minister his true word and salvation to anybody anywhere and at anytime so you cant conclude that the rest of them who were not opportune to come to church are dying without salvation. The thief at the cross got saved at the cross not in the church.
God sees the heart, he knows the muslim(or other religion) man/woman that is earnestly seeking him with a genuine heart and God will never fail to minister the truth to such people. It is only those who do not hunger for the truth, the hypocrites etc that will be damned and this includes both the muslim/other religion and "christians" and every other person.

3. Jesus said "blessed are they who hunger and thirst after righteousness for they shall be filled" (Matthew 5;6). He didnt say blessed are those who go to church, or blessed are they who keep church doctrines and traditions.

Being a member of a church does not make one a true follower of Jesus.

In Jesus name Amen.

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

Kemi Olunloyo Begs For Forgiveness As She Testifies In Church (Video) / Pope Francis Appoints Bishop Peter Okpaleke, 20 Others As Cardinals / In 70 Years Of RCCG; Have You Been To Redemption Camp?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 157
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.