Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,029 members, 7,807,045 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 08:54 AM

Making Ogbono Soup - Food (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Food / Making Ogbono Soup (15378 Views)

A Foodie's Guide To Making Ogbono/bitter Leaf Soup / Okra Soup Vs Ogbono Soup / Someone Explain How To Cook Ogbono Soup For Me (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Making Ogbono Soup by martynsnet: 8:58pm On Dec 14, 2014
DrJoe1:

okro soup is best prepared with ugu vegetable

I cant find Ugu here, but I do use pumpkin in my Okra soup sometimes. tnx

1 Like

Re: Making Ogbono Soup by martynsnet: 8:59pm On Dec 14, 2014
Aida13:
Okro in Ogbono is like the finishing touch grin ohhh my I love the combo. I cut my okra in huge chunks and enjoy them when not too cooked so I put them last of all. I don't fancy meat with my ogbono. Instead, I use an assortment of dried/smoked fish to maintain the local flavor that meat can never provide.

The key is avoiding too much salt, and boiling the seasoning cubes in hot water beforehand, so they don't clump at the bottom of the soup. Also, stir stir stir. You have to stand by the soup and keep stirring, cos that sticking-to-the-bottom stuff is sooo not nice.

This soup is best with poundo yam, eko or semo.

Thanks, will try it.

1 Like

Re: Making Ogbono Soup by martynsnet: 9:02pm On Dec 14, 2014
Youngzedd:

If you look at the soup after adding Okro, you will notice it looks as if there is no oil. That is to say, you need to add a little oil next time.

Finally, Vegetable is very important. Pumpkin is necessary.

You tried. I will rate your cook 90/100

Thanks for the rating. Then I used to think my mom was forcing me to do women work.
Re: Making Ogbono Soup by martin92(m): 10:15pm On Dec 14, 2014
yummy
Re: Making Ogbono Soup by curve: 6:48pm On Dec 15, 2014
Aida13:

woooww that's exactly how my mom does it so I learned from her. While the meat/panla is boiling, she turns up the lid and places a plate with the ground ogbono and palm oil. The steam from the boiling pot turns the ogbono+oil into a smooth paste. Then you scoop this into the boiling broth and stir while it bubbles to life grin grin I thought we were the only ones who did this lol
Lol, I learnt it from my aunt. i think that was how ogbono was been prepared in those days.

Procedures of cooking change over time, a friend's mum when she wants to prepare her stew, as she is per-boiling her meat/fish-she adds her grinded tomato, onion and pepper into the boiling meat and fish.

A lot of people would frown at such a method because its not the normal fry fish/meat, fry onion and pour in tomato paste method.

Since I learnt that method of cooking ogbono there have been no going back for me.
Re: Making Ogbono Soup by peter4d2(m): 7:22pm On Dec 15, 2014
Lilimax:
It's not "ugwu" but "ugu" leaf. smiley

Pardon my ignorance n thank u 4 d correction cos I usually skip english classes back den.
Re: Making Ogbono Soup by Aida13: 7:24pm On Dec 15, 2014
curve:
Lol, I learnt it from my aunt. i think that was how ogbono was been prepared in those days.

Procedures of cooking change over time, a friend's mum when she wants to prepare her stew, as she is per-boiling her meat/fish-she adds her grinded tomato, onion and pepper into the boiling meat and fish.

A lot of people would frown at such a method because its not the normal fry fish/meat, fry onion and pour in tomato paste method.

Since I learnt that method of cooking ogbono there have been no going back for me.

Lol wow you're so correct about the way cooking methods have evolved. I like the idea of stew boiling instead of frying, will try it. I definitely like to discover new cooking tips and share them too. For example I've mastered the art of cooking rice without a rice cooker. Because one thing I hate is over-cooked rice. So I had to figure out how to make the perfect pot of rice - not too soft or hard, just perfect lol
Re: Making Ogbono Soup by curve: 8:59pm On Dec 16, 2014
Aida13:

Lol wow you're so correct about the way cooking methods have evolved. I like the idea of stew boiling instead of frying, will try it. I definitely like to discover new cooking tips and share them too. For example I've mastered the art of cooking rice without a rice cooker. Because one thing I hate is over-cooked rice. So I had to figure out how to make the perfect pot of rice - not too soft or hard, just perfect lol

True that.

I learnt how to cook rice without a cooker and I never knew the difference until someone gave me a rice cooker as a present and indeed the difference is clear.

Hope you'll love the boiled stew whenever you try it out coz it taste absolutely different from the fried one.
Cooking is an art I must say!!!

1 Like

Re: Making Ogbono Soup by whitecat2: 3:14am On Dec 17, 2014
Is that in London?
martynsnet:

Got it in Oxford. Cowley Street.
Re: Making Ogbono Soup by martynsnet: 8:58am On Dec 17, 2014
whitecat2:
Is that in London?
Oxfordshire, not Oxford Circus or Oxford street which are both in London.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Cameroon Pepper! / Please I Need A List Of Sugar-free Fruit Drinks? / Dont Let That Over Ripe Plantain Waste

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 24
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.