Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,255 members, 7,807,874 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 09:18 PM

Should I Fill My Fuel Tank Or Buy Small Fuel Like Others? - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Should I Fill My Fuel Tank Or Buy Small Fuel Like Others? (2215 Views)

Plz Help, My Car Consume Fuel Like Tractor / Car Drinking Fuel Like GARRI!! What Could Be Responsible??? / 2006 Toyota Camry Fuel Tank Fill Up Problem (need Help) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Should I Fill My Fuel Tank Or Buy Small Fuel Like Others? by silvoice(m): 7:57am On Dec 13, 2014
Apart from these our buses and taxies that can buy fuel up to ten times in a day, instead of buying it once, each time i see someone drive an SUV for instance, into a fuel station and buys btw 5 to 10 littres of fuel, two things always come into my mind: either they don't have enough to fill their tank or that they just wanted to top up the fuel level.
But that is not always the case, rather it seems like a habit.
Though i use my car maybe twice in a week, i like filling my tank so that i don't search for fuel often.
My question is: are there mechnical, eletrical or safety inplication of always having enough fuel in my tank?
Re: Should I Fill My Fuel Tank Or Buy Small Fuel Like Others? by AutosBay(m): 9:06am On Dec 13, 2014
Having a low fuel, won't damage the engine,
but it's not doing your fuel pump (located in the tank) any good. The fuel in the tank acts as a coolant for the fuel pump, and routinely keeping the tank low shortens the life of the pump. I make it point to never let my tank get below 1/4 full, and I have never had to replace a fuel pump in any of my vehicles.

Source: https://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20110114094907AA15Gzb
Re: Should I Fill My Fuel Tank Or Buy Small Fuel Like Others? by Nobody: 9:15am On Dec 13, 2014
silvoice:
Apart from these our buses and taxies that can buy fuel up to ten times in a day, instead of buying it once, each time i see someone drive an SUV for instance, into a fuel station and buys btw 5 to 10 littres of fuel, two things always come into my mind: either they don't have enough to fill their tank or that they just wanted to top up the fuel level.
Though i use my car maybe twice in a week, i like filling my tank so that i don't search for fuel often.
My question is: are there mechnical, eletrical or safety inplication of always having enough fuel in my tank?

Depends on the brand of vehicle you drive.
Do you drive any of the Honda Civic, accord or Toyota Corolla or Camry?
If Yes, pls buy low fuel so that when those bad belle come to do their 'needless' evil, you go dey corner dey laugh because the motor nor go travel far before fuel go empty and car go stall.

1 Like

Re: Should I Fill My Fuel Tank Or Buy Small Fuel Like Others? by nke001: 9:22am On Dec 13, 2014
silvoice:

The high volatility of liquid fuel makes it long term storage a bad choice.
It usually takes a month or two for fuel to lose its quality to about 60%. This leads to hard start.

Filling of fuel tank to its brine not only saves you precious time but also money due to engine knock.
Re: Should I Fill My Fuel Tank Or Buy Small Fuel Like Others? by silvoice(m): 10:12am On Dec 13, 2014
nke001:

The high volatility of liquid fuel makes it long term storage a bad choice.
It usually takes a month or two for fuel to lose its quality to about 60%. This leads to hard start.

Filling of fuel tank to its brine not only saves you precious time but also money due to engine knock.
this comment is contradictory. Are u for or against filling ur tank? What has engine knock got to do wit this?

5 Likes

Re: Should I Fill My Fuel Tank Or Buy Small Fuel Like Others? by lonelydora: 10:21am On Dec 13, 2014
Except when I want to calculate my MPG, I don't allow my tank go below 1/4.
Re: Should I Fill My Fuel Tank Or Buy Small Fuel Like Others? by silvoice(m): 10:45am On Dec 13, 2014
lonelydora:
so this transporters that buy small small are doin so for what reason?
Re: Should I Fill My Fuel Tank Or Buy Small Fuel Like Others? by DECOtech(m): 11:52pm On Dec 13, 2014
silvoice:
so this transporters that buy small small are doin so for what reason?

Please don't mind them.

They just think they are saving money, thereby losing time which in a way translates to money.
Re: Should I Fill My Fuel Tank Or Buy Small Fuel Like Others? by Nobody: 2:46am On Dec 14, 2014
lonelydora:

You don't have to fill your tank to measure your mpg.
Re: Should I Fill My Fuel Tank Or Buy Small Fuel Like Others? by Nobody: 2:56am On Dec 14, 2014
I find it nonsensical to only buy small amount of fuel.

I always fill my tank to the brim.

Re: Should I Fill My Fuel Tank Or Buy Small Fuel Like Others? by Nobody: 7:55am On Dec 14, 2014
lomomike:

If Yes, pls buy low fuel so that when those bad belle come to do their 'needless' evil, you go dey corner dey laugh because the motor nor go travel far before fuel go empty and car go stall.
Re: Should I Fill My Fuel Tank Or Buy Small Fuel Like Others? by silvoice(m): 10:02am On Dec 14, 2014
cryNija sef, i tire 4 my people. Many jus do thins they see others do in their car without askin question. Thank God i'v stoped doin lik them since i discovered NLand. One love my people.
Re: Should I Fill My Fuel Tank Or Buy Small Fuel Like Others? by Nobody: 10:35am On Dec 18, 2014
Some people argue that keeping the fuel around half-tank reduces the weight of the car, thereby increasing fuel economy. That's why they buy little fuel to keep the fuel around this level.
I think the theory has some merit.

1 Like

Re: Should I Fill My Fuel Tank Or Buy Small Fuel Like Others? by alfa0: 11:11am On Dec 18, 2014
[quote author=lomomike post=28864407][/quote]

cheesy cheesy cheesy
Re: Should I Fill My Fuel Tank Or Buy Small Fuel Like Others? by Nobody: 12:13pm On Dec 18, 2014
alfa0:

cheesy cheesy cheesy
lomomike:

grin hope you know the bad belle people?

I'm talking about car snatchers and robbers angry
Re: Should I Fill My Fuel Tank Or Buy Small Fuel Like Others? by alfa0: 2:58pm On Dec 18, 2014
lomomike:
grin hope you know the bad belle people?

I'm talking about car snatchers and robbers angry

i know them very well...na your description dey make me laugh.
Re: Should I Fill My Fuel Tank Or Buy Small Fuel Like Others? by silvoice(m): 8:59am On Dec 19, 2014
0rex:
Some people argue that keeping the fuel around half-tank reduces the weight of the car, thereby increasing fuel economy. That's why they buy little fuel to keep the fuel around this level.
I think the theory has some merit.
quite intresting- having about 50litrs of fuel is a lot of weight anyway.

2 Likes

Re: Should I Fill My Fuel Tank Or Buy Small Fuel Like Others? by am4truth(m): 9:33am On Dec 19, 2014
It depends, if I'm on a journey, my tank must always be full at every opportunity to refill. But if driving within town, I may not.

(1) (Reply)

Old Logo Vs. Proposed Logo: Which Of These Innoson Logo Do You Prefer? (PHOTOS) / I Need A Good Air Flow Meter / Service Your Car The Owners Manual Way

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 28
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.