Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,320 members, 7,808,073 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 06:44 AM

Why Is Peugoet 607 So Scarce Now On Nigerian Roads. - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Why Is Peugoet 607 So Scarce Now On Nigerian Roads. (12722 Views)

Photo: Which Would Be Your Pick For Use On Nigerian Roads? / The Most Common Car On Nigerian Roads? / The Best Tyre For Nigerian Roads (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Is Peugoet 607 So Scarce Now On Nigerian Roads. by Nobody: 9:47am On Dec 13, 2014
I thought of getting this car, and branding it for the company i wanna start up next year.
i don't want to go with the regular Corrolla, Civic, Cerato, Yaris etc that other companies use.
The only P now is that am afraid cox for the past 9 weeks i've been in Lagos, i didn't see this car driven anywhere, even after traveling to other parts of the country.
please who knows if this ride has particular issues? Cc Ikenna351
thanks

Re: Why Is Peugoet 607 So Scarce Now On Nigerian Roads. by starlingbawa(m): 9:59am On Dec 13, 2014
I guess IKENNA and the likes will probably do justice to the answers you seek.

But then I think it's unwise to go with the peugeot 607 because it's expensive to maintain and then again it's fragile and not totally compatible with Nigerian 'BAD' roads!

I'd advise you go with the regular corrolla which is more fuel efficient, durable, rugged and comes with a low cost of maintenance.

My opinion though. I leave the rest for the gurus to give you much better responses.
Re: Why Is Peugoet 607 So Scarce Now On Nigerian Roads. by Nobody: 10:02am On Dec 13, 2014
I've seen a number of them in Abuja and Ibadan -mostly abused by owners in conjunction with their mechanics.

In Ibadan, I see some with Factory RHDs, with poorly conversion jobs carried out, dashboard airbag delete, dashboard fascia cut and glued, improper mounted and mis-aligned wipers, steering wheel, stalks by steering column, radiator fan bypass, thermostat delete, wiring harness cut, join, splice glue, christmas lighs illuminated on dashboard and instrument panel, etc.
Re: Why Is Peugoet 607 So Scarce Now On Nigerian Roads. by peterjero(m): 10:03am On Dec 13, 2014
Reasons are :
Nigerians are strong addicts to Japanese cars because of reliability
Newer Peugeot vehicles have electrical issues that are easily fixed but lack d availability of technicians to do it(everyone wants to repair japmobile)
They seem complex for the average joe
Mind you Peugeot can survive in educated people's hand

1 Like

Re: Why Is Peugoet 607 So Scarce Now On Nigerian Roads. by Nobody: 10:06am On Dec 13, 2014
starlingbawa:

But then I think it's unwise to go with the peugeot 607 because it's expensive to maintain and then again it's fragile and not totally compatible with Nigerian 'BAD' roads!

I'd advise you go with the regular corrolla which is more fuel efficient, durable, rugged and comes with a low cost of maintenance.

My opinion though. I leave the rest for the gurus to give you much better responses.

This is the problem I have with all these toyota fan boyz. They think their toyota is all genius and is the standards for others to follow when it comes to automotive engineering.

4 Likes

Re: Why Is Peugoet 607 So Scarce Now On Nigerian Roads. by lonelydora: 10:23am On Dec 13, 2014
lomomike:

This is the problem I have with all these toyota fan boyz. They think their toyota is all genius and is the standards for others to follow when it comes to automotive engineering.

As far as I'm concerned, Toyota no bi car.

6 Likes

Re: Why Is Peugoet 607 So Scarce Now On Nigerian Roads. by abatically(m): 10:49am On Dec 13, 2014
lonelydora:

Big fallacy. The camrys and corollas might be bland (but they belong to a particular class and rule in their class) but saying all Toyota no be car is going way too far. Have u seen the current generation Avalon? The landcruiser is a king in its class while the tundra is also a beast in its class. Even the fj cruiser is one of the most affordable off roaders and name a compact pick up truck that is better than the hilux? Who says Toyota no be car?

3 Likes

Re: Why Is Peugoet 607 So Scarce Now On Nigerian Roads. by Nobody: 11:23am On Dec 13, 2014
abatically:

Big fallacy. The camrys and corollas might be bland (but they belong to a particular class and rule in their class) but saying all Toyota no be car is going way too far. Have u seen the current generation Avalon? The landcruiser is a king in its class while the tundra is also a beast in its class. Even the fj cruiser is one of the most affordable off roaders and name a compact pick up truck that is better than the hilux? Who says Toyota no be car?
That sedan can be compared with the current gen Ford Fusion too. make sense.
Re: Why Is Peugoet 607 So Scarce Now On Nigerian Roads. by Nobody: 11:35am On Dec 13, 2014
Bossforeva:
I thought of getting this car, and branding it for the company i wanna start up next year.
i don't want to go with the regular Corrolla, Civic, Cerato, Yaris etc that other companies use.
The only P now is that am afraid cox for the past 9 weeks i've been in Lagos, i didn't see this car driven anywhere, even after traveling to other parts of the country.
please who knows if this ride has particular issues? Cc Ikenna351
thanks
Bro you said you're buying this car for your company... Business? Then obviously cost cutting must be one of your top priorities. Thus common sense dictates you go for the cheaper to maintain pure water Toyota. After you start making profit you can then be extravagant buying what ever tickles your fancy.

3 Likes

Re: Why Is Peugoet 607 So Scarce Now On Nigerian Roads. by abatically(m): 11:50am On Dec 13, 2014
Bossforeva:
That sedan can be compared with the current gen Ford Fusion too. make sense.

Hmm, love the current ford fusion. The problem with most people is they think Toyota is all about Camry and corolla....some will even compare a Camry with Mercedes Benz s class when it is obvious they are of completely different class.
Re: Why Is Peugoet 607 So Scarce Now On Nigerian Roads. by peterjero(m): 12:28pm On Dec 13, 2014
abatically:

Hmm, love the current ford fusion. The problem with most people is they think Toyota is all about Camry and corolla....some will even compare a Camry with Mercedes Benz s class when it is obvious they are of completely different class.
Inasmuch I already know this thread is headed for derail, I want to add this Toyota is the largest car maker in the world owing to what? Answer the question without bias
Re: Why Is Peugoet 607 So Scarce Now On Nigerian Roads. by abatically(m): 12:36pm On Dec 13, 2014
peterjero:

Inasmuch I already know this thread is headed for derail, I want to add this Toyota is the largest car maker in the world owing to what? Answer the question without bias

If u want a straight answer, then it is because of their history of reliability, u can't take that away from them.
Re: Why Is Peugoet 607 So Scarce Now On Nigerian Roads. by Nobody: 1:18pm On Dec 13, 2014
Till Ikenna comments, am not yet satisfied.
One is that i wanted a sedan that looks classy and yet not costly and common. that's why this option came to my mind, meanwhile, i'll be the one mainly driving it around till my Startup grows to a company level.
2000-2009 Corrolla, Yaris, Cerato, Civic et al can't be compared to a 2000 Model of this car. my personal observation tho.
Moreover, i dn't like doing things that everybody does.
Citing examples JACK DANIELS mainly uses HUMMER for company purpose and that makes a difference to them.
there is this other company that i once saw, i think tis Cream Magnum they use a Vintage Rolls Royce.
Re: Why Is Peugoet 607 So Scarce Now On Nigerian Roads. by Nobody: 1:22pm On Dec 13, 2014
chukux2:

Bro you said you're buying this car for your company... Business? Then obviously cost cutting must be one of your top priorities. Thus common sense dictates you go for the cheaper to maintain pure water Toyota. After you start making profit you can then be extravagant buying what ever tickles your fancy.
one can get a 2000 607 for 1.2M at most, so tis not that costly i think, tho i dn't know of its maintenance.
All i know is that most Peugeot products has been reliable n' rugged and the older versions, looks more classy than it's counterparts in same class.
Re: Why Is Peugoet 607 So Scarce Now On Nigerian Roads. by starlingbawa(m): 2:12pm On Dec 13, 2014
lomomike:

Don't get it twisted. I never said Toyota's the best. People and their choices.

I think it'd have been better if you'd just drop your opinion. Who knows, maybe the OP and others might tow your line of thought.
Re: Why Is Peugoet 607 So Scarce Now On Nigerian Roads. by Nobody: 2:24pm On Dec 13, 2014
starlingbawa:

Don't get it twisted. I never said Toyota's the best. People and their choices.

I think it'd have been better if you'd just drop your opinion. Who knows, maybe the OP and others might tow your line of thought.

Dude, what does the bolded below imply?

starlingbawa:

Re: Why Is Peugoet 607 So Scarce Now On Nigerian Roads. by FiftyFifty(m): 2:25pm On Dec 13, 2014
lonelydora:

I thought I'm alone, thankfully I'm not.
Re: Why Is Peugoet 607 So Scarce Now On Nigerian Roads. by starlingbawa(m): 2:39pm On Dec 13, 2014
lomomike:

Dude, what does the bolded below imply?

@Lolomike: it's just my opinion but it doesn't necessarily mean I'm right. Reality is I might be wrong no doubt.
Re: Why Is Peugoet 607 So Scarce Now On Nigerian Roads. by gambus007(m): 2:45pm On Dec 13, 2014
which car shld i go for,they will all say toyota.bullshit.i had prblm with my formal car sold it out.planning to get another.my first option was honda which i was not ok with.i consulted ikenna abt peu.307,he gave his advice and added me to is group via whatsapp.what am trying to say is toyota can neva b the best car in nigeria.the prblm of nigeria geneally is mechanics.they are very lazy to learn new things.give mechanic 2007 toyota camry to fix that car will b history if you are not lucky.no car is bad,its all about keeping it on the road.ur maintenance culture is very important.the way people go about saying toyota is cheap to maintain,i dont think is true.most of sparepart in market are fakes......mostly are china.i have seen someone who brought two set of shocks twice in a month for toyota camry.u hardly buy shocks for peugoet.its very easy to steal toyota,to protect ur toyota will cost much which does not give you 100 percent of security.what is rily cheap abt japo cars?how many time will u replace part?where will u get original part?those are questions we need to ask ourselves.am no expert abt car.thats my take.thank you.

1 Like

Re: Why Is Peugoet 607 So Scarce Now On Nigerian Roads. by Ikenna351(m): 9:56pm On Dec 13, 2014
Saw this thread about 4 hours ago, but was so busy that I couldn't comment, because it will be a long post.

Before I go into it, I need to settle my stomach first.

I Will be back!

Ikenna
Re: Why Is Peugoet 607 So Scarce Now On Nigerian Roads. by icemann(m): 10:03pm On Dec 13, 2014
You guys just went for Peugeot to Toyota.
I predict this would turn into Japanese cars vs German cars soon. Till then let me eat my popcorn and watch.

Re: Why Is Peugoet 607 So Scarce Now On Nigerian Roads. by Ikenna351(m): 10:24pm On Dec 13, 2014
Quite a number of Nigerians would tell you to run away from Peugeot 607. Because that's all they know about 607 from a distance, " Run away from 607. Its very problematic and expensive to maintain". When you ask them, they would tell you they have seen many abandoned 607 at workshops, mechanics frown at the mention of 607, knew a previous owner the Lion showed pepper, et cetera, et cetera. All these about this Lion are "facts" gathered from a distance. At the beginning, I was here too.

But when I began study on Peugeot's electrical & mechanical systems, with regard to diagnosis and repairs, I realised how wrong I was about the Lion, 607.

Peugeot 607, with the current knowledge I have on that Lions systems, is one of the most Luxurious, reliable and durable Lion Peugeot ever produced. How?

To be continued....

Ikenna

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Is Peugoet 607 So Scarce Now On Nigerian Roads. by Nobody: 10:42pm On Dec 13, 2014
Ikenna351:
Quite a number of Nigerians would tell you to run away from Peugeot 607. Because that's all they know about 607 from a distance, " Run away from 607. Its very problematic and expensive to maintain". When you ask them, they would tell you they have seen many abandoned 607 at workshops, mechanics frown at the mention of 607, knew a previous owner the Lion showed pepper, et cetera, et cetera. All these about this Lion are "facts" gathered from a distance. At the beginning, I was here too.

But when I began study on Peugeot's electrical & mechanical systems, with regard to diagnosis and repairs, I realised how wrong I was about the Lion, 607.

Peugeot 607, with the current knowledge I have on that Lions systems, is one of the most Luxurious, reliable and durable Lion Peugeot ever produced. How?

To be continued....

Ikenna

No problem, rest first.

1 Like

Re: Why Is Peugoet 607 So Scarce Now On Nigerian Roads. by Ikenna351(m): 10:48pm On Dec 13, 2014
Before now, most Nigerians were scared of Peugeot 406 phase II (aka Prestige). Some would tell you the electrics would fail at certain mileage, and so many other horrible stories they packaged to unleash on anyone who ever considered a 406 to acquire. But now, people have started to appreciate the Lion and realised those "facts" were not true. Funny enough, mine has exceeded the mileage most claimed the electrics must fail once they get there, yet my D9 electrics still work as if it left show room not long ago.

But one thing these Nigerians do not realise is that 406 phase II and 607 phase 1 were designed together at the same time by one company and produced side by side in the same compound at the same time, by the same engineers. In simply words, 607 is as good as 406. Every system that was used in producing 406, was also what you will find in 607: The same Electricals, mechanicals, emission system, engine cooling systems, engines and gearboxes, gadgets, pininfarina design, etc.

The only difference is that 607 got all 406 systems, then with added luxurious gadgets and some added luxurious mechanicals, like the suspension, PAS, etc.

To be continued....

Ikenna

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Is Peugoet 607 So Scarce Now On Nigerian Roads. by Ikenna351(m): 10:56pm On Dec 13, 2014
Now, to break it down for you on 607.

In Lions Den, you don't just say 607. You need to specify what phase you want? phase 1 or phase 2? The phase you want will determine engines and transmissions available. The phase will also determine gadgets you got to enjoy and the Lions looks.

Now, you will be wondering how do you know which phase to choose from and what each has to offer. Will explain each of the phases in subsequent posts.

To be continued...

Ikenna
Re: Why Is Peugoet 607 So Scarce Now On Nigerian Roads. by DECOtech(m): 12:03am On Dec 14, 2014
Ikenna351:

To be continued...

Ikenna

I hope say no be sleep you go sleep?

We are doing night vigil tonight oh, come n finish the lecture

2 Likes

Re: Why Is Peugoet 607 So Scarce Now On Nigerian Roads. by Ikenna351(m): 7:11am On Dec 14, 2014
607 phase 1 (1999-2004) Z8.

The phase 1 607 is known as Z8. The Z8 come with 3 petrol engines: EW10, EW12 & ES9J4S (V6). Will skip the diesel engines here, since that's probably not what you are after.

The EW10 engine (2.0 L) in 607 mostly come with 5-speed manual, BVM5. It develops 138 hp. Z8 with this engine is very underpowered. Not advisable to go for. Fuel consumption on highway doing 100km/h will give you 6 L/100 km.

EW12 engine (2.2 L) in Z8 come with either 5-speed manual (BVM5) or 4-speed Auto. The engine posses maximum of 170 hp. Its ok for 607. On speed of about 100 km/h, it will average 39 mpg (7.2 L).

As for Z8 with ES9J4S (V6) engine, it comes with either 5-speed manual or 4-speed Auto (ZF 4HP20). The engine posses 210 hp. The best engine for Z8, followed by EW12. Highway driving, at reasonable speed, should average 38 mpg (7.3 L).

The Z8 has oil temperature gauge on the instrument panel as standard. It will help you to monitor the oil temperature, just like coolant temperature as you drive. With that gauge, you will know when something is going wrong with oil pump or when you use bad oil or oil filter. A very good gadget. In fact, that gauge should determine for you when you can start revving your engine higher than 3k rpm.

Z8 V6, they have variable suspension and steering as standard. That is, the higher the speed, the lower the suspension drops the body of the car. Simply put, at certain high speed, the shock absorber automatically lowers itself down, to give the Lion a better Stability on the high-speed. Then when speed starts reducing, they spring themselves up. It also has switch,,where you can permanently live it on normal suspension mode or sports mode. Then, the variable steering. Its a type of power steering, different from conventional power assisted steering (PAS), that makes steering wheel heavy as speed increases, to prevent overstreering while on high speed. The lower the speed, the softer the steering becomes. The higher the speed, the heavy and harder the steering wheel becomes on hands. The variable steering and suspension on Z8 V6 makes it drive like a drum on high speed, which will make the car very difficult to lift off the ground on high -speed. They were simply designed for speed.

The headrest (head restraint) on V6 and some EW12 are electrically adjusted, just like the 2 front seats. Likewise, the rear glass sunblind is electrically controlled too. The external rearview mirrors automatically folds itself when remote control is used to close doors in V6 and some EW12. The boot can be opened manually or with remote control. And can be closed manually or electrically by mere pressing of a button. If I keep talking of gadgets in 607, it will take me the whole day.

But I would want to note this, avoid 607 with monoscreen on dashboard. That is smaller Multifunction display. Go for the big Navigation screen. The former tends to fail often, while the latter last the car lifespan.

To be continued....

Ikenna

2 Likes

Re: Why Is Peugoet 607 So Scarce Now On Nigerian Roads. by Nobody: 7:52am On Dec 14, 2014
My oga and my mentor in Moderation job, I greet you sir, I am loyal. I have my writing pan and pen to take note of this good free rare lecture coming from the lion man himself- Ikenna351.
Re: Why Is Peugoet 607 So Scarce Now On Nigerian Roads. by Ikenna351(m): 8:15am On Dec 14, 2014
More on Z8...

Electrical system. The Z8 (99-2004) has VAN-bus system, that is, partial multiplexing. The same VAN-bus system is what you will find phase II 406 (D9). Almost identical. The main difference between D9 & Z8 is the added gadgets in Z8, meaning ECUs in Z8 to control those gadgets. Each ECU is as reliable and durable as the other. For example, Z8 V6 has suspension ECU, while D9 don't. As for identical, D9 V6 ECU system is ME 7.4.6 for manual tranny. Likewise, that's the same ECU system of Z8 engine ECU. The D9 electrical system protocol is KWP 2000, that's the same with Z8 system. The basics of the two Lions are same, difference is the added gadgets and ECUs on Z8. So, anyone that is good in maintenance culture and dislike abusing what he/she owns will enjoy ownership of Z8, just the same way a D9 owner does.

The powertrain. The same engines and transmissions you will find in D9 is what you will find in Z8. Difference is on Z8 V6 Auto tranny (4HP20) that comes with triptronic feature, which is lacking in D9 V6 Auto , the same 4HP20 box.

Will explain the VAN-bus system in details after I have talked about Z9 (phase II). I need to prepare for my Mass.

Next will be Z9...

Ikenna

1 Like

Re: Why Is Peugoet 607 So Scarce Now On Nigerian Roads. by Nobody: 8:40am On Dec 14, 2014
Bossforeva:
one can get a 2000 607 for 1.2M at most, so tis not that costly i think, tho i dn't know of its maintenance.
All i know is that most Peugeot products has been reliable n' rugged and the older versions, looks more classy than it's counterparts in same class.
Alright then go ahead and satisfy your fantasies. But please hold yourself to high standards by not owing your staff salaries under the guise of high cost of doing business. Good luck.
Re: Why Is Peugoet 607 So Scarce Now On Nigerian Roads. by nurey(m): 9:15am On Dec 14, 2014
but seriously guys every business needs to standout and i like the op's interest in getting that 607. the first time i saw that car, i thought it was the most expensive and luxurious car ever made (back in my SS days), my neighbour recently bought a Merc E200 i think the 2003-2006 model year my God, thats luxury redifined, you cant compare its luxury with the xle camry of even 2014, its been years since i saw the 607 on road or dealer garage i think it would be a good buy.

Mr Ikenna defending the LIONs Honour since 3000BC
Re: Why Is Peugoet 607 So Scarce Now On Nigerian Roads. by Nobody: 11:13am On Dec 14, 2014
nurey:
but seriously guys every business needs to standout and i like the op's interest in getting that 607. the first time i saw that car, i thought it was the most expensive and luxurious car ever made (back in my SS days), my neighbour recently bought a Merc E200 i think the 2003-2006 model year my God, thats luxury redifined, you cant compare its luxury with the xle camry of even 2014, its been years since i saw the 607 on road or dealer garage i think it would be a good buy.

Mr Ikenna defending the LIONs Honour since 3000BC

@ the bolded.. let me ask u one quick question

Can u compare the luxury of a Mercedes Benz A160 with that of Toyota Avalon any model? I know what's on ur mind right now, u will be like that is not a fair comparison. Same way comparing a Mercedes Benz E class with a Toyota Camry is not a fair comparison, compare it with Lexus ES then it will be fair.

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

22 Essential Tips For Uber, Oga-taxi & Taxify Drivers / 3 Ways To Avoid A Car Accident / Step By Step Instructions On How To Change Your Car Engine Oil Yourself

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 73
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.