Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,306 members, 7,808,037 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 05:09 AM

Which Pays More In Lagos - Selling Clothes In Boutiques Vs Web Designing - Webmasters - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Webmasters / Which Pays More In Lagos - Selling Clothes In Boutiques Vs Web Designing (11309 Views)

Lets Discuss Affilate Vs Adsense Which Pays / Blog Or Forum Which Pays Most / Web Designer Vs Web Programmer (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Which Pays More In Lagos - Selling Clothes In Boutiques Vs Web Designing by Nobody: 6:43pm On Dec 13, 2014
As we all know Lagos metropolis is a very good place in Nigeria for business especially website design and cloth selling.

I have someone I am trying to advice on which one is better to invest your time and money in Lagos state (I am very specific).

Imagine a big time cloth seller in say the popular Balogun market versus someone who has a web design shop somewhere in Lagos.

And I see some of these posters for 5k, 10k websites in Lagos, meanwhile I am aware (as a result of some research) that some cloth sellers make 50k profits and above DAILY IN LAGOS.

Learning cloth trading does not take much time to learn, however, it might take you several years to perfect the website development techniques. Getting quality jobs is another cause of concern - In my time I have seen so many web development companies start up in big big places in lagos - allen avenue, ikeja only to fold up after a short time with the owners in heavy debts and in some instances on the run from the police (I can cite many examples, but i dont want to be mentioning names). Of course there are some web companies that are still thriving mind you.

In case you are wondering what I do in Lagos, it is freelance website developments (web apps, softwares and mobile apps but the market seem to be more for web apps).

So which one will you take and why?

Disclaimer: I am not planning to retire to selling clothes mind you (I will rather pack-up from Lagos and go back to my village as a farmer).

1 Like

Re: Which Pays More In Lagos - Selling Clothes In Boutiques Vs Web Designing by Nobody: 6:47pm On Dec 13, 2014
selling clothes is better.... lol
Re: Which Pays More In Lagos - Selling Clothes In Boutiques Vs Web Designing by Nobody: 7:07pm On Dec 13, 2014
^^^And your reasons being?
Re: Which Pays More In Lagos - Selling Clothes In Boutiques Vs Web Designing by teemy(m): 7:46pm On Dec 13, 2014
tony you no go kill person with laughter o lol. on a serious note, i was just a few days ago talking with a colleague on a similar topic. he said our business is more non physical and hence would not be appreciated as such unless the client needs it.
Re: Which Pays More In Lagos - Selling Clothes In Boutiques Vs Web Designing by teemy(m): 7:52pm On Dec 13, 2014
however, if clients could see reason to invest in a website they would. e.g more sales guarantee. i don't think chief akin alabi is a web developer but he is making a lot from nairabet. guess co-oping pays also. web marketing is now a must to succeed
Re: Which Pays More In Lagos - Selling Clothes In Boutiques Vs Web Designing by GodMode: 8:01pm On Dec 13, 2014
grin grin grin Dhtml trying to turn webmasters to cloth sellers a.k.a shops or bendown select peeps grin grin grin

Keep selling clothes Oooo... Its very profitable for u... All u have to do now is expand by opening branches in popular markets and you're set for life...

Selling clothes is the ish now.

1 Like

Re: Which Pays More In Lagos - Selling Clothes In Boutiques Vs Web Designing by JackOfAllTrades: 8:03pm On Dec 13, 2014
@op web design(not template/WordPress editing) is not a roadside job anyone can start in a short timeframe and start making huge profit, it takes several years to master the techniques to be able to deliver quality website like you said.

Learning web design is not only profitable but educating as well, if you master the technologies behind web design (HTML,CSS, JavaScript) what stops you from designing hybrid mobile web apps as well which pays even more.

however the similar challenge you will always find is getting quality customers/jobs.

so if the person in question wants a business with a really short time investment and immediate profit answer - clothe selling

otherwise if the person is patient enough and beside technology is the future (almost everybody wants an app for their business)
answer web design

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Which Pays More In Lagos - Selling Clothes In Boutiques Vs Web Designing by GodMode: 8:09pm On Dec 13, 2014
JackOfAllTrades:
@op web design(not template/WordPress editing) is not a roadside job anyone can start in a short timeframe and start making huge profit, it takes several years to master the techniques to be able to deliver quality website like you said.

Learning web design is not only profitable but educating as well, if you master the technologies behind web design (HTML,CSS, JavaScript) what stops you from designing hybrid mobile web apps as well which pays even more.

however the similar challenge you will always find is getting quality customers/jobs.

so if the person in question wants a business with a really short time investment and immediate profit answer - clothe selling

otherwise if the person is patient enough and beside technology is the future (almost everybody wants an app for their business)
answer web design

grin grin grin selling clothes is very educating too.. U'll be able to know peeps sizes at a glance. grin grin grin. grin grin grin.

4 Likes

Re: Which Pays More In Lagos - Selling Clothes In Boutiques Vs Web Designing by Nobody: 9:08pm On Dec 13, 2014
This is very interesting, I think I shall try out the boutique business next year at this rate.

@moderator, this is a good frontpage topic mind you.
Re: Which Pays More In Lagos - Selling Clothes In Boutiques Vs Web Designing by bamoza(m): 9:23pm On Dec 13, 2014
As funny as ds may sound
it has no answer, no career is a waste or not lucrative, it all depends on the amount of branding and managing you add to your business, Infact both have the same business model to succeed

so as for me, the person should choose which he's more comfortable with and if I would be candid, if by now he hasn't written his first Hello world, then he should go sell clothe

but am I the only thinking the person in question is dhtml

hmmmmm

1 Like

Re: Which Pays More In Lagos - Selling Clothes In Boutiques Vs Web Designing by Nobody: 9:24pm On Dec 13, 2014
bamoza:
As funny as ds may sound
it has no answer, no career is a waste or not lucrative, it all depends on the amount of branding and managing you add to your business, Infact both have the same business model to succeed
so as for me, the person should choose which he's more comfortable with and if I would be candid, if by now he hasn't written his first Hello world, then he should go sell clothe
but am I the only thinking the person in question is dhtml
hmmmmm

LOBATAN!
Re: Which Pays More In Lagos - Selling Clothes In Boutiques Vs Web Designing by Nobody: 10:25pm On Dec 13, 2014
lol…………
Re: Which Pays More In Lagos - Selling Clothes In Boutiques Vs Web Designing by Nobody: 10:29pm On Dec 13, 2014
B ou tiques
Re: Which Pays More In Lagos - Selling Clothes In Boutiques Vs Web Designing by cbrass(m): 12:58am On Dec 14, 2014
Why this funny comparism. What shall separate me from the love of coding, is it hunger Is it percecussion Is it war . I didn't join because of the money I enlisted because of the passion. I will not dignify any would be questioner with such questions an answer cos coding is not in them. To God be thy glory am reaping it in coding nw . ONCE AGAIN. ITS THE LOVE OF CODING THAT WILL CREATE A FACEBOOK,

1 Like

Re: Which Pays More In Lagos - Selling Clothes In Boutiques Vs Web Designing by Nobody: 5:54am On Dec 14, 2014
Santa maria! so from what i have gathered from this thread so far

1. If you love coding / web design then spend your time on it and reap your rewards (even if it is small)
2. If you love money and cannot write helloworld (or you are struggling), selling clothes is better for you (or gala by the roadside - worst case).

2 Likes

Re: Which Pays More In Lagos - Selling Clothes In Boutiques Vs Web Designing by semasir: 6:23am On Dec 14, 2014
@dhtml18!!! Sincerely, most of "us" are "fools" and think of stipends when designing websites.... Imagine someone offering a simple website for #7000 Maybe such isn't buying a domain and hosting neither is (s)he buying templates but getting free templates and others
Re: Which Pays More In Lagos - Selling Clothes In Boutiques Vs Web Designing by Nobody: 7:05am On Dec 14, 2014
^^^this is the kind of thing i was talking about, thanks for mentioning that
Re: Which Pays More In Lagos - Selling Clothes In Boutiques Vs Web Designing by GodMode: 7:24am On Dec 14, 2014
semasir:
Sincerely, most of "us" are "fools" and think of stipends when designing websites.... Imagine someone offering a simple website for #7000 Maybe such isn't buying a domain and hosting neither is (s)he buying templates but getting free templates and others

because the person doing a N7000 website is neither a web designer nor web developer gringringrin
Re: Which Pays More In Lagos - Selling Clothes In Boutiques Vs Web Designing by emmyvet(m): 10:28am On Dec 14, 2014
Lol,
If you are coding without the passion is just better you go and get one shop and start doing bend down select for main road.
But if you have the passion as a developer I don't think you shouldn't depend on working for people and getting peanuts rather be innovative think of your own project that can solve man's problem and give you some cash!
I magine if mark just need the money he would have just developed Harvard Connection for the Twins and by now I guess Mark won't be who he is today.

But Oga dhtml18 take am easy ooooo next topic go be Agbero vs web development wink

See is all about passion ooo, the agbero get the passion to shout and think less whereas you the cider get the passion to do less talking with people but do more talking with your code!
Happy new week!
Cheers!

2 Likes

Re: Which Pays More In Lagos - Selling Clothes In Boutiques Vs Web Designing by ClintonNzedimma(m): 12:05pm On Dec 14, 2014
In Warri, Web development isnt lucrative.
We struggle to get clients here especially if you are a freelancer.
If you get a job of 20k.
You better give your testimony in church.
Re: Which Pays More In Lagos - Selling Clothes In Boutiques Vs Web Designing by sisqology(m): 5:01pm On Dec 14, 2014
teemy:
however, if clients could see reason to invest in a website they would. e.g more sales guarantee. i don't think chief akin alabi is a web developer but he is making a lot from nairabet. guess co-oping pays also. web marketing is now a must to succeed

Akin Alabi is not a web developer!""
Re: Which Pays More In Lagos - Selling Clothes In Boutiques Vs Web Designing by teemy(m): 9:23am On Dec 15, 2014
sisqology:

Akin Alabi is not a web developer!""
so i said
Re: Which Pays More In Lagos - Selling Clothes In Boutiques Vs Web Designing by Nobody: 2:28pm On Dec 15, 2014
teemy:
so i said
pinshure of you saying it or adonbilivit

1 Like

Re: Which Pays More In Lagos - Selling Clothes In Boutiques Vs Web Designing by sisqology(m): 2:46pm On Dec 15, 2014
teemy:
so i said

I was drunk sad
Re: Which Pays More In Lagos - Selling Clothes In Boutiques Vs Web Designing by teemy(m): 2:56pm On Dec 15, 2014
sisqology:

I was drunk sad
rotflol
Re: Which Pays More In Lagos - Selling Clothes In Boutiques Vs Web Designing by teemy(m): 2:58pm On Dec 15, 2014
dhtml18:

pinshure of you saying it or adonbilivit
pishaun!
Re: Which Pays More In Lagos - Selling Clothes In Boutiques Vs Web Designing by Nobody: 4:39pm On Dec 15, 2014
I think its web designing. coz selling clothes take money! money to buy the clothes, money for shop rent... and u might not sell enough sad etc.
Re: Which Pays More In Lagos - Selling Clothes In Boutiques Vs Web Designing by kamez(m): 4:39pm On Dec 15, 2014
It depends on ur packaging.. There are many cloth sellers same way there are many web developers.. In a city like lagos where u have so many people doing the same kind of buisness, u ve to package urself much more than ur rivals if u want to excel..

Trust me, except u re an importer of clothes in containers, u cant compare selling in a mere boutique to web design..

I have friends that design web sites for more than 200k and the design 4 or 5 websites monthly. I have friends who are invited to ghana and dubai to help build web sites..and this guys don't even have flashy offices..

Web design pays much better if u can't cool down and package urself.. Instead of settling for 10k jobs just because u have " Man must wack mentality"

1 Like

Re: Which Pays More In Lagos - Selling Clothes In Boutiques Vs Web Designing by Nobody: 4:40pm On Dec 15, 2014
selling clothes. it father more patronage
Re: Which Pays More In Lagos - Selling Clothes In Boutiques Vs Web Designing by Fresia01(f): 4:41pm On Dec 15, 2014
here in abj.. web designing is a lucrative business
Re: Which Pays More In Lagos - Selling Clothes In Boutiques Vs Web Designing by Nobody: 4:41pm On Dec 15, 2014
Selling cloths asin hawking?

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

The Difference Between Dynamic Ip And Static Ip / Website Designing Trends You Should Not Ignore In 2019 / 7 Mistakes Bloggers Make That Defame Their Blogs By Mediapace

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 34
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.