Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,027 members, 7,807,040 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 08:48 AM

Ex-Nigerian Boxer, Ayodele Peters Lives In Abject Poverty [photos] - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Ex-Nigerian Boxer, Ayodele Peters Lives In Abject Poverty [photos] (29425 Views)

Funniest Nigerian Boxer Ever! / Ex-Nigerian Goalkeeper Peter Rufai Is Hospitalized / Late Nigerian Boxer - Young Ali (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Ex-Nigerian Boxer, Ayodele Peters Lives In Abject Poverty [photos] by TheRealMrStan(m): 4:27pm On Dec 14, 2014
AYODELE PETERS LIVES IN UNCOMPLETED BUILDING

If anyone told Ayodele Peters that he would find himself living in an uncompleted building after representing Nigeria at the Olympics, he probably would have rained some wicked punches on that person.

But the man, who represented Nigeria at the 1980 Olympic Games, has grappled with living in an uncompleted house in Ayobo, Lagos, for close to a decade.

Peters covered the windows of his room with dusty and old blinds. A rope, which serves as a makeshift wardrobe, runs from one end of the room to the window. Peters’ clothes are hung on it.

On the bare floor is a new mattress just below a stove and kitchen utensils. In front of the mattress is Peters’ table, a four-legged iron with a wood on it. That is all he can lay claim to as his own, 34 years after he represented Nigeria at the 1980 Olympic Games.

On the roof is a torn ceiling, which evidently means that the ex-boxer must take several positions in the small room whenever it rained, to avoid being wet.

Spotting weather-beaten baggy jeans, an oversized shirt and eyeglasses, Peters related his pathetic hero-to-zero story.

“I’ve been living here since 2007. I took Alimosho LGA to the 2007 Lagos Sports Month and I won laurels. I used the money I realised from the competition, to rent this place. I may soon be homeless because the owner has said he wants to complete the building and pack in,” Peters told our correspondent.

“I am dying every day and the Lord knows it. It’s a big shame, it’s just that I cannot commit suicide because I know that there is God and He has preserved me for the past 20 years. I am over 57 but look at how I am now, after representing Nigeria and Ogun State as a boxer.

“I am alive but I am not living a life. I spent all my fruitful years boxing; I never looked at girls. I was always happy to represent Nigeria.”

Peters problems started in 1985, while representing Ogun at the National Boxing Championship in Lagos, where he sustained a thumb injury in his second fight. Even though he managed to reach the final— his fifth fight— Peters described the injury as one that ‘tops a series of personal disasters that plagued my life and career.’

Indeed, it led to a series of drama that led to his double dismissal— first in 1987 and then in 1994— as a staff of the Ogun State Sports Council and from there, which ultimately reduced him to his present status.

After applying several medications to the injury to no avail, a physiotherapist advised him to seek treatment in the United Kingdom in 1986.

But despite documents to show that his trip was approved by Dr. Ayodele Oni, the state consultant at the time, he was dismissed for embarking on what he termed ‘French Leave.’

“The doctor and consultant gave me all the necessary papers to show (to the sports council) the manner of injury and even the x-ray. But on my arrival in September 1987, I was told I took French Leave and was instructed verbally not to report for duty without an official letter issued to that effect. But I kept going to the office, demanding justice be done. In February 1988, I was eventually given a letter of dismissal with retrogressive effect from January 1987.”

But Peters still competed for Ogun at the 1989 NSF in Lagos and won a medal for the state. Then military administrator of Ogun State, Navy Captain Mohammed Lawal, ordered automatic promotion to the next salary grade level for medalists at the festival, who were employees of the sports council; and employment for unemployed medalists.

Reprieve came his way, a year later, when he was offered a fresh appointment on Grade Level 07. Having been promoted to Grade Level 07 in 1986, Peters pleaded for double promotion from 07 to 09, claiming that he should have been part of the general promotion exercise in 1991 for civil servants who were last promoted in 1986; and as a beneficiary of the promise of Lawal after winning a medal at Eko ’89.

But a letter dated October 11, 1991 and signed by I.O. Adebayo for State Commissioner, Ministry of Social Development, Youth and Sports read, “Since the appointment offered you (in 1990) is a fresh appointment, it is not possible to backdate it to November 8, 1976 (when Peters was first employed). You are therefore advised to face your work…”

There was more drama to come. Peters was first served a compulsory letter of retirement, signed by B.A. Oyeti, for State Commissioner, Ministry of Information, Social Development, Youth and Sports on September 26, 1994.

But another letter dated December 14, 1994 titled Re: Retirement from Service and also signed by Oyeti, instead turned his retirement to outright dismissal from the state civil service.
http://www.punchng.com/sports/nigerias-forgotten-boxing-heroes-2/

[img]http://4.bp..com/-pPs3UEvlCzk/UmE7h350lKI/AAAAAAAAU8g/49Z9Wv42LJ4/s1600/ayodele+peters+nigerian+boxer.jpg[/img]

Re: Ex-Nigerian Boxer, Ayodele Peters Lives In Abject Poverty [photos] by ToyozzieTohBad(f): 4:29pm On Dec 14, 2014
BASH ALI SEE YOUR BROTHER

To save time iron your clothes while you're wearing them.

2 Likes

Re: Ex-Nigerian Boxer, Ayodele Peters Lives In Abject Poverty [photos] by Abbey2sam(m): 4:29pm On Dec 14, 2014
That's exactly what happen when you fail to manage your wealth....

or should donate money for him?

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: Ex-Nigerian Boxer, Ayodele Peters Lives In Abject Poverty [photos] by DancingSkeleton(m): 4:29pm On Dec 14, 2014
One of our Forgotten heroes embarassed

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Ex-Nigerian Boxer, Ayodele Peters Lives In Abject Poverty [photos] by simplemach(m): 4:29pm On Dec 14, 2014
Hardluck to him
Re: Ex-Nigerian Boxer, Ayodele Peters Lives In Abject Poverty [photos] by holatin(m): 4:30pm On Dec 14, 2014
Nigeria where heroes are forgotten and thief are given presidential pardon and post.
Nigeria is weeping seriously.

30 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Ex-Nigerian Boxer, Ayodele Peters Lives In Abject Poverty [photos] by AreaFada2: 4:30pm On Dec 14, 2014
That's 9ja for you.

Thieves rule, heroes languish.

Diaris Eledumare o.

TEHNs & r231,

We need a superhero or superheroine to INVESTIGATE THIS CASE SHARP SHARP.

SHAME ON US IF MR PETERS DOESN'T GET HELP.

Sorry for caps but I had to shout. Literally.

Let Mr Peters know it's Christmas.

Over to you.

Your widow's mite will go a long way.

33 Likes 1 Share

Re: Ex-Nigerian Boxer, Ayodele Peters Lives In Abject Poverty [photos] by kunlesehan(m): 4:31pm On Dec 14, 2014
What a pity, Peters.
Atimes life itself can be more than a knockout.
...but the good thing is there's hope as long as you breathe.

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Ex-Nigerian Boxer, Ayodele Peters Lives In Abject Poverty [photos] by Sylvarresta(m): 4:31pm On Dec 14, 2014
Welcome to Naija where Thieves are celebrated and Heroes are abandon

7 Likes

Re: Ex-Nigerian Boxer, Ayodele Peters Lives In Abject Poverty [photos] by chesterlee(m): 4:31pm On Dec 14, 2014
"I spent all my fruitful years boxing; I never looked at girls.". If I hear...

Anyways the government should try and come to his aid...he's living in abject poverty

3 Likes

Re: Ex-Nigerian Boxer, Ayodele Peters Lives In Abject Poverty [photos] by tigonana: 4:31pm On Dec 14, 2014
Very bad.
Re: Ex-Nigerian Boxer, Ayodele Peters Lives In Abject Poverty [photos] by sabretoothh(m): 4:31pm On Dec 14, 2014
Geez sad
Re: Ex-Nigerian Boxer, Ayodele Peters Lives In Abject Poverty [photos] by Nobody: 4:31pm On Dec 14, 2014
I hate reading stories like this. So sad!

3 Likes

Re: Ex-Nigerian Boxer, Ayodele Peters Lives In Abject Poverty [photos] by Kingblingz(m): 4:31pm On Dec 14, 2014
How many ppl teeth you drop down
Re: Ex-Nigerian Boxer, Ayodele Peters Lives In Abject Poverty [photos] by moyinoluwabun(m): 4:31pm On Dec 14, 2014
Time for him to be remembered. Hope he pray his way through. Ire oooo
Re: Ex-Nigerian Boxer, Ayodele Peters Lives In Abject Poverty [photos] by Nigga44: 4:32pm On Dec 14, 2014
Is that Alomo bitters?

5 Likes

Re: Ex-Nigerian Boxer, Ayodele Peters Lives In Abject Poverty [photos] by Femolacaster(m): 4:32pm On Dec 14, 2014
May God save us all
Re: Ex-Nigerian Boxer, Ayodele Peters Lives In Abject Poverty [photos] by Vivipop(f): 4:33pm On Dec 14, 2014
shocked I'm short of words.
Re: Ex-Nigerian Boxer, Ayodele Peters Lives In Abject Poverty [photos] by whirlwind7(m): 4:33pm On Dec 14, 2014
#sigh#

Everyone in that Sports Council seemed to have a grudge against him.

1 Like

Re: Ex-Nigerian Boxer, Ayodele Peters Lives In Abject Poverty [photos] by Ilekeh(f): 4:33pm On Dec 14, 2014
This is what happens when you don't invest your money wisely.

Family/Friends go help you chop am, but once the money is gone, I sorry for you. kiss

1 Like

Re: Ex-Nigerian Boxer, Ayodele Peters Lives In Abject Poverty [photos] by tellwisdom: 4:33pm On Dec 14, 2014
How many trophies and endorsement he get wey he wan live in luxury?? ..You foolish people sad

8 Likes

Re: Ex-Nigerian Boxer, Ayodele Peters Lives In Abject Poverty [photos] by Blurr(m): 4:34pm On Dec 14, 2014
Heya, him no born any pikin nie?
Re: Ex-Nigerian Boxer, Ayodele Peters Lives In Abject Poverty [photos] by chidiebere2020(m): 4:34pm On Dec 14, 2014
Opportunity comes but once

1 Like

Re: Ex-Nigerian Boxer, Ayodele Peters Lives In Abject Poverty [photos] by Nobody: 4:34pm On Dec 14, 2014
He still dey throw Blow self?

This is #myCharityComment sha lipsrsealed
Re: Ex-Nigerian Boxer, Ayodele Peters Lives In Abject Poverty [photos] by PerfumeRepublik: 4:34pm On Dec 14, 2014
Why was he sacked? French leave? There's more to this tale....
The Nigerian and Ogun state Govt should dosomething to rehabilitate him

1 Like

Re: Ex-Nigerian Boxer, Ayodele Peters Lives In Abject Poverty [photos] by Omotall(m): 4:34pm On Dec 14, 2014
Nigga44:
Is that Alomo bitters?
alomo ko,osomo ni grin
Re: Ex-Nigerian Boxer, Ayodele Peters Lives In Abject Poverty [photos] by FatBOyChuka(m): 4:34pm On Dec 14, 2014
Naija done deny am pass 3 times
Re: Ex-Nigerian Boxer, Ayodele Peters Lives In Abject Poverty [photos] by onila(f): 4:35pm On Dec 14, 2014
we dont know him in france

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Qatar: Cameroon's Goalkeeper, Onana, To Leave Camp After Disagreement With Coach / Ola Aina Cleared By FIFA To Represent Nigeria / These Guys Won FIFA U16 Maiden Edition On This Date 1985 (photo)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 30
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.