Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,477 members, 7,808,744 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 04:09 PM

What Is Wrong With Our Police? - Crime (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Crime / What Is Wrong With Our Police? (14998 Views)

Tijani Adewole 365880 Of CTU Owerri Zone Is Not Among Our Police Friends. / Our Police Public Nuisances / What Is Wrong With Nigerians? As Kidnapped Md Of God Is Good Motors Found Dead (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What Is Wrong With Our Police? by fejikudz(m): 7:50pm On Dec 16, 2014
hmmmm
Re: What Is Wrong With Our Police? by Funjosh(m): 7:52pm On Dec 16, 2014
delors:
My experience in 2008:
So I just withdrew 80k from Diamond bank to complete my air ticket payment to SA. I was on the bike along opebi going to Bellview airline, then these policemen stopped me and asked the bike guy to go.
'Wetin you carry? What's in the bag? I said it's money and books.
"How much is there? Bring it out"I said 80k, showed them the receipt which was just about 10mins old.
You are a criminal, why do u have this big money? In fact o ya enter the bus (they had a danfo waiting by). I protested a bit but they were like 5 with one artificial yellow pawpaw ibo woman. See slaps. See pushing. See oppression. Being an acute aluta material back then at school, I held onto one of them tight, like a deathly hug. My bag was clutched to my body. Ain't no bagger taking my money.
They pushed me into the bus, locked the door and zoomed off to area F. My.forehwad was already blood stained, shirt torn, everything scatter but my bag was still tightly clutched.
They dragged me to their counter with more slaps but I wasn't begging, I was just holding their hands n tightly hugging anyone I saw wanted to punch. If not for the uniforms, I swear I for break their scrotum, it was that easy.
Write statement I no gree, surrender ur bag, for where. I sat there till like 9pm when their oga (dpo I guess) came on duty and I told him what happened. Showed him my student ID, bank receipt, etc he saw I was badly hurt in terms of what happened.
Then I wrote my statement there in his office. He read it the first time, gave me another sheet to rewrite but remove some expressions.
Later he let me go. Guess what, the ibo woman had changed to mufty and was ready to go home. All through that Area F road to the adjoining road, I was shouting Ashewo on her, calling her ole and all manners of names plus curses upon her n her children. I was that frustrated.
Those animals are criminals in uniforms.

That is the way those animal behave.
Re: What Is Wrong With Our Police? by igbsam(m): 7:52pm On Dec 16, 2014
360command:
speak your mind.

Summary, I sleep cell cos of my laptop wey dem see proforma invoice, project proposals and autocad software. Dem say na wetin I dey use scam. Seize my phone and forced me to write a statement telling me what to write which is wrong and I refused to write what they wanted me to write. Each time dey dictate to me wat to write, I will write my own exactly how i was arrested unjustly and made them waste 6 statement papers, they got angry and locked me up for not following instructions. The DPO came to inspect the cell the following day and I narrated what happened to him and he asked I was release immediately without bail and that was how I gained my freedom o. That was like 5yrs ago though.

2 Likes

Re: What Is Wrong With Our Police? by btoks: 7:53pm On Dec 16, 2014
Sorry OP to learn about your ordeal. I had a similar experience with Nigerian police a few years ago . It's unfortunate that they feel they have to intimidate and assault people to maintain law and order.
This is where we need the NASS to intervene and promulgate laws that outlaw this nonsense. Nigerians' lives are just as valuable as those in the west and should be treated as such
Re: What Is Wrong With Our Police? by musicwriter(m): 8:08pm On Dec 16, 2014
wildguy:
Two days ago, on my way home from work around 9pm, I was stopped by some police men for carrying a laptop. The mistake I made was I did not have the receipt and my ID on me. They put me in a danfo bus and headed to their station. On the way they picked up anybody they saw that had a bag on them. There was even a guy that had a laptop with him with his ID card and receipt that they picked "cause he was walking around with a laptop alone". They seized all our phones till we got to the police station.

When we got to the police station they separated those of us that had laptops from those that didn't. All of us with laptops were branded yahoo boys. They told us to turn on our systems so they can analyse what was on the system. When I switched on my own they saw visual studio with codes and sql server open (I am a developer) and they concluded that that was the software that I use in scamming my clients. After punching and slapping me for not telling them the truth of how I do my operation (they opened my yahoomail account and saw nothing that suggested that I was a yahoo guy), they packed my bag with my laptop and locked me in a cell(there were about 20 guys in the cell). They allowed me to make some calls before they locked me up.

My folks later came to bail me out around 2 in the morning and can you imagine that after collecting money for bail they asked for money from me to collect my belongings that was with them (They said I had to pay for the fuel money)

I got home and I was thinking

a. Are we saying that someone with a laptop cannot work around with it, even if the person has a receipt and an ID card?
b. How many people have they kept in the cell without any just reason or just cause "they were walking alone"?
c. Is there no agency that punishes law enforcers for abusing their power?
d. What training do the officers go through for them to separate a developer, photo editor, graphics designer from a yahoo guy?
e. How do we want to develop ourselves in the field of ICT when everybody that carries a laptop is called a yahoo guy?

It have been said many times and over that we Nigerians are also part of the problem.

Why didn't you refuse to bribe anybody to be freed, since you're legit?.

You see, as long as you don't want to suffer a little bit to prove to the police you're legit and thereby make a little change, then other Nigerians cannot afford to do so. And for that reason the police will continue to think that everybody who carry a laptop is a criminal. So, together we and the police damage this country.

NB: My junior brother is a programmer and he faced the same scenario sometime ago and I went to the police station to bail him. They took N15,000 from me. The only reason I gave them that money was because of my brothers sake, just for him not to sleep in police cell. But that is not the right thing to do. I should have refused bribing anybody even if it means being detained. That was a long time ago and I regret it.
It will never happen again!.
Re: What Is Wrong With Our Police? by jayriginal: 8:09pm On Dec 16, 2014
wildguy:

a. Are we saying that someone with a laptop cannot work around with it, even if the person has a receipt and an ID card?
b. How many people have they kept in the cell without any just reason or just cause "they were walking alone"?
d. What training do the officers go through for them to separate a developer, photo editor, graphics designer from a yahoo guy?
e. How do we want to develop ourselves in the field of ICT when everybody that carries a laptop is called a yahoo guy?

If this happened to me, I wouldn't get anything less than a million for that.

Get a lawyer, your fundamental human rights have been violated. Do it, not just for yourself, and not for the money, do it for the others who have been oppressed by the police/armed forces.

Unless more Nigerians start enforcing their fundamental human rights, this malady will continue. There's no civilization without the proper observation oftthe rule of law.
Re: What Is Wrong With Our Police? by StealthyMe(m): 8:14pm On Dec 16, 2014
Sorry bro sad

But its christmas season...and the boys have gotta feed
No vex undecided
Re: What Is Wrong With Our Police? by Kay17: 8:16pm On Dec 16, 2014
wildguy:
Two days ago, on my way home from work around 9pm, I was stopped by some police men for carrying a laptop. The mistake I made was I did not have the receipt and my ID on me. They put me in a danfo bus and headed to their station. On the way they picked up anybody they saw that had a bag on them. There was even a guy that had a laptop with him with his ID card and receipt that they picked "cause he was walking around with a laptop alone". They seized all our phones till we got to the police station.

When we got to the police station they separated those of us that had laptops from those that didn't. All of us with laptops were branded yahoo boys. They told us to turn on our systems so they can analyse what was on the system. When I switched on my own they saw visual studio with codes and sql server open (I am a developer) and they concluded that that was the software that I use in scamming my clients. After punching and slapping me for not telling them the truth of how I do my operation (they opened my yahoomail account and saw nothing that suggested that I was a yahoo guy), they packed my bag with my laptop and locked me in a cell(there were about 20 guys in the cell). They allowed me to make some calls before they locked me up.

My folks later came to bail me out around 2 in the morning and can you imagine that after collecting money for bail they asked for money from me to collect my belongings that was with them (They said I had to pay for the fuel money)

Because you are ignorant about your rights!

If you did, you would know how powerful you are. The Nigeria Police does not attempt that with rich men with big lawyers.

If every single person that was wrongfully detained, sued the Police each particular time; the Police would be wary of 'picking people up'
Re: What Is Wrong With Our Police? by Toktee(m): 8:22pm On Dec 16, 2014
Some of these ediots cn nt even write their name,this is why we need buhari.
BUHARI2015.

1 Like

Re: What Is Wrong With Our Police? by chamboy(m): 8:23pm On Dec 16, 2014
Sai Buhari

1 Like

Re: What Is Wrong With Our Police? by adeboye24(m): 8:32pm On Dec 16, 2014
[quote author=wildguy post=28877891]Two days ago, on my way home from work around 9pm, I was stopped by some police men for carrying a laptop. The mistake I made was I did not have the receipt and my ID on me. They put me in a danfo bus and headed to their station. On the way they picked up anybody they saw that had a bag on them. There was even a guy that had a laptop with him with his ID card and receipt that they picked "cause he was walking around with a laptop alone". They seized all our phones till we got to the police station.
----------------------------------------------------------------------

Register Your Business Name, Limited Company, Church,Group e.t.c. With Corporate Affairs Commission Of Nigeria.
Call 08070734129, 08163724932.
Re: What Is Wrong With Our Police? by corneremperor: 8:35pm On Dec 16, 2014
musicwriter:

It have been said many times and over that we Nigerians are also part of the problem.

Why didn't you refuse to bribe anybody to be freed, since you're legit?.

You see, as long as you don't want to suffer a little bit to prove to the police you're legit and thereby make a little change, then other Nigerians cannot afford to do so. And for that reason the police will continue to think that everybody who carry a laptop is a criminal. So, together we and the police damage this country.

NB: My junior brother is a programmer and he faced the same scenario sometime ago and I went to the police station to bail him. They took N15,000 from me. The only reason I gave them that money was because of my brothers sake, just for him not to sleep in police cell. But that is not the right thing to do. I should have refused bribing anybody even if it means being detained. That was a long time ago and I regret it.
It will never happen again!.

You are criticizing him for doing the exact thing you just confessed to doing, so what do you think gives you the right to even talk? Abeg park well!

3 Likes

Re: What Is Wrong With Our Police? by rhames(m): 8:46pm On Dec 16, 2014
chagel:
imagine

If you do not have anything to contribute, then keep off the comments here. We need bold and concerned people to make comments about how to protect human rights in our country Nigeria.
Re: What Is Wrong With Our Police? by victorazy(m): 9:00pm On Dec 16, 2014
wildguy:

Sorry o!
Even here in Abuja I had the same prob 2011 but was lucky to escape bcuz I opened the laptop and show them my pictures and some of my drawings (architect) meahn is was sad experience. They showed us plenty laptops they seize and was inside their motor.
Re: What Is Wrong With Our Police? by musicwriter(m): 9:01pm On Dec 16, 2014
corneremperor:

You are criticizing him for doing the exact thing you just confessed to doing, so what do you think gives you the right to even talk? Abeg park well!

I just wanted to let him know he's as guilty as the police for paying bribe to be freed.
I also said I regret doing that, and I said it wouldn't happen again. Never!.

1 Like

Re: What Is Wrong With Our Police? by lumeneng22: 9:03pm On Dec 16, 2014
Don't mind them o. Na so American police de do during festive season? If them see book haram with gun them go hide, if them see person with human skul l na I'm be say them down hammer, if na person with laptop na maga don pay.
Re: What Is Wrong With Our Police? by victorazy(m): 9:04pm On Dec 16, 2014
Kay17:

Because you are ignorant about your rights!

If you did, you would know how powerful you are. The Nigeria Police does not attempt that with rich men with big lawyers.

If every single person that was wrongfully detained, sued the Police each particular time; the Police would be wary of 'picking people up'

Bros ur speaking like u stays in France too grin
Human right in Nigeria, Africa? U must be joking.
They will just shoot u right there and tagg u a rubber and u won't deny it cuz ur already a dead man.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: What Is Wrong With Our Police? by goryorhal(m): 9:07pm On Dec 16, 2014
Na so I run inside their trap one day when i dey waka inside sun ...I was receiving an international call when I jam them ( alakara police station,mushin)
Na so them stop by myside asking where I dey come from and where I dey go ?
Police : where you dey come from ?
Me : Coming from a friends place where I went to submit my Cv ..
Police : where your CV ? Who your fwend ? He dey employ ? My friend enter the car ..
Me : oga make Una cool down , why I go enter your car ? For what reason ? Wetin b my offense ?
Police : When you get to the police station , you will know better ,na yahoo boy you b, who you dey call for phone ..
Me: oga Na my friend . Abi you won make I call am make you talk to am .. As I see say them no won let me go .. Na so I vex as a mushin guy " oya lets go I b yahoo boy , make we dey go station , Infact sef una DPO go settle everything out when we get there ..
Police ( e nick name Na alhaji) -- come make we talk .. Started speaking Yoruba " give us any amount wey you get make you dey go .
Me : Alhaji I no get shishi , I broke pass anything .. If I fit see change wey I go collect sef I no mind ..Na so the man look me like person wey get EBOLA , con comot from my sight go meet e rest ...
Na so them just release me .. But bfore then everything wey I display there Na mind I dey take rough am Cuz I no say if dem carry me comot there Na begging tinZ I go beg ..
Dose police officers wey dey alakara , zone D , Olosan don sabi me .. I no some of them wey dey do those dirty jobs .. Dem go just pack you inside bus as if say price tag dey your head ..
Foolish people

1 Like

Re: What Is Wrong With Our Police? by ewizard1: 9:37pm On Dec 16, 2014
Policemen. .. smh!
Re: What Is Wrong With Our Police? by Nobody: 9:42pm On Dec 16, 2014
Useless fellows, years back,some useless police men forced a bike I was on to stop just to bully my phone number out of me.
Re: What Is Wrong With Our Police? by wildguy(m): 9:48pm On Dec 16, 2014
TheMadame:
@OP,
What is the name of the Police station you were taken to?

Ajuwon Police station
Re: What Is Wrong With Our Police? by Ifeann(f): 9:50pm On Dec 16, 2014
wildguy:

If this really happened and you are not in a human rights lawyer's oFfice discussing how to sue the NPF then you are not serious.
If you can remember the officers names, incident location, how much you paid etc you can get a lawyer, some lawyers even go on pro bono. You could be one your way to making a ton of money. You have human rights and Nigeria is a signatory to international human rights agreements.
Re: What Is Wrong With Our Police? by biopat(m): 9:53pm On Dec 16, 2014
Just after my NYSC, an elderly friend called me about a job.

EF (elderly friend): Bring your CV, I hear say one job dey.

Me: Bros thank you, which kin job na?

EF: Na police work, but dem go start u for "so so rank" ( I can't remember the rank, I nor dey put yeye things for my head)

Me: Bros, Police

EF: Yes, police.... nor worry, small time u go b oga.

Me: (after a brief silence) Bros, Even if I don die, them con go wear my dead body police uniform, I go vex wake up, give the person wey wear me the uniform better blow, pull the uniform, then die again.

"I'll rather die than commit suicide" I HATE THE NPF

2 Likes

Re: What Is Wrong With Our Police? by nkpommpko(m): 9:56pm On Dec 16, 2014
corneremperor:

did you read his comment to the end? If you did, did you understand it?
Re: What Is Wrong With Our Police? by entparrot(f): 10:11pm On Dec 16, 2014
We all are very good to jump to conclusion.

Without collective effort, especially from the social media and the media house,the police problem wont be solved.

1, Fundamental human right, some lawyers charge up to 150k. (most of the police victims don't have up 50k life saving)

2, If you invite a lawyer to come and bail you, minimum charge is 10k or 20k (So therefore the best way is to just give police 10k and go on ur own, with lawyer they will frustrate you more)

3, The Police will detain you beyond 48hours, all in the name of investigation. (knowing fully well, you have no offense, anybody that meet you in detention cell will just conclude you are a criminal and the police will also prepare false charges against you)

4, The DPO and the DCO are the most corrupt, they are all aware of whats going on, but there interest is the money they will get in return.

5, If you continue fighting for your right, they will detain you for like 1week and frustrate you, and prepare false charges against you and charge you to court, you arrive the court, the judge grant you bail, with 2 guarantors that have 2 years tax clearance, the protocol to sign those paper work in court and getting 2 guarantors might cost you minimum of 50k and up to 2weeks to 1month in kirikiri jail.

This is why the police are taking advantage of the masses.

3 Likes

Re: What Is Wrong With Our Police? by chillex8(m): 10:23pm On Dec 16, 2014
I don't believe this story.

You must have said something implicating.
Re: What Is Wrong With Our Police? by sukkot: 10:24pm On Dec 16, 2014
question ? why are you walking around with ya laptop ? craseman. you lucky its only police. thats the problem with nigerians. effizy. next time walk around like a poor man and keep all your high tech gadgets permanently at home.
Re: What Is Wrong With Our Police? by Babygal4eva(f): 10:38pm On Dec 16, 2014
They tried it for my mum just last week. I'm an IT student so I'm always with my laptop, we were both on our way to a meeting and she was in a bad mood so I was doing my own thing at the back not wanting her to release her anger on me when a Police guy told her to pack, he started sprouting one nonsense about her eating and driving and asked me for the receipt of my laptop, my mum didn't say anything was just looking at him and his partner, then he told her to come down that they are seizing the car and taking me with them till I can prove that the laptop is mine and then they also said that she should provide proof that her samsung tab is her own too... I waited to see if she will come down she didn't even say anything she just wound up her window and locked the door switched the radio on and started playing zuma on her phone, God the look on the police face was just freaking funny... anyway they put that spike thing in front of the car so she couldn't drive off so she decided to play her zuma, when I was going to suggest we just settle them she warned me to better shut up else she will release her anger on me so I continued what I was doing... I kid you not we were there for like 30 mins while the police guys were banging on our window,threatning us and doing everything to make her answer them, she then wound down her window a bit and told them that if any of them should dare put a dent on her car that she will make sure they get arrested for damage of property(she's a lawyer) or something like that, so with the AC and radio on and they were in the sun, they let us go at last and my mum before driving off eyed them up and down with this very wicked eye and drove off.

Aim of this story: There is none just wanted to narrate my tale cheesy cheesy

1 Like

Re: What Is Wrong With Our Police? by sukkot: 10:42pm On Dec 16, 2014
delors:
My experience in 2008:
So I just withdrew 80k from Diamond bank to complete my air ticket payment to SA. I was on the bike along opebi going to Bellview airline, then these policemen stopped me and asked the bike guy to go.
'Wetin you carry? What's in the bag? I said it's money and books.
"How much is there? Bring it out"I said 80k, showed them the receipt which was just about 10mins old.
You are a criminal, why do u have this big money? In fact o ya enter the bus (they had a danfo waiting by). I protested a bit but they were like 5 with one artificial yellow pawpaw ibo woman. See slaps. See pushing. See oppression. Being an acute aluta material back then at school, I held onto one of them tight, like a deathly hug. My bag was clutched to my body. Ain't no bagger taking my money.
They pushed me into the bus, locked the door and zoomed off to area F. My.forehwad was already blood stained, shirt torn, everything scatter but my bag was still tightly clutched.
They dragged me to their counter with more slaps but I wasn't begging, I was just holding their hands n tightly hugging anyone I saw wanted to punch. If not for the uniforms, I swear I for break their scrotum, it was that easy.
Write statement I no gree, surrender ur bag, for where. I sat there till like 9pm when their oga (dpo I guess) came on duty and I told him what happened. Showed him my student ID, bank receipt, etc he saw I was badly hurt in terms of what happened.
Then I wrote my statement there in his office. He read it the first time, gave me another sheet to rewrite but remove some expressions.
Later he let me go. Guess what, the ibo woman had changed to mufty and was ready to go home. All through that Area F road to the adjoining road, I was shouting Ashewo on her, calling her ole and all manners of names plus curses upon her n her children. I was that frustrated.
Those animals are criminals in uniforms.
bros you get strong head oooo grin

1 Like

Re: What Is Wrong With Our Police? by aflabos(m): 10:55pm On Dec 16, 2014
tolustx:
They are simply insane. Just like politicians,
They portray themselves as doing work wen all they do is meaningless accussation and exploitation. Who says bail is free?
This type of thing go unchecked when you don't know your right, in case of next time, you have to petition the commissioner of police of that state through a sound solicitor not charge and bail one, I tell you, u will be compensated because that is the solution to the problem. I am a specialist in police, with ASP rank, I was in mufti sometimes ago in IB city and was slapped by a CPL in mufti, it took intervention of civilian and well meaning people, I wanted to show him a way out of the force and charge him to the court for assaulting a fellow human being. What we need to know is our Human Right under law. Even before I became a police officer, no law enforcement can do nonsense, coz as u continue threating me, I will continue telling u what law says.....
Re: What Is Wrong With Our Police? by sukkot: 10:57pm On Dec 16, 2014
Babygal4eva:
They tried it for my mum just last week. I'm an IT student so I'm always with my laptop, we were both on our way to a meeting and she was in a bad mood so I was doing my own thing at the back not wanting her to release her anger on me when a Police guy told her to pack, he started sprouting one nonsense about her eating and driving and asked me for the receipt of my laptop, my mum didn't say anything was just looking at him and his partner, then he told her to come down that they are seizing the car and taking me with them till I can prove that the laptop is mine and then they also said that she should provide proof that her samsung tab is her own too... I waited to see if she will come down she didn't even say anything she just wound up her window and locked the door switched the radio on and started playing zuma on her phone, God the look on the police face was just freaking funny... anyway they put that spike thing in front of the car so she couldn't drive off so she decided to play her zuma, when I was going to suggest we just settle them she warned me to better shut up else she will release her anger on me so I continued what I was doing... I kid you not we were there for like 30 mins while the police guys were banging on our window,threatning us and doing everything to make her answer them, she then wound down her window a bit and told them that if any of them should dare put a dent on her car that she will make sure they get arrested for damage of property(she's a lawyer) or something like that, so with the AC and radio on and they were in the sun, they let us go at last and my mum before driving off eyed them up and down with this very wicked eye and drove off.

Aim of this story: There is none just wanted to narrate my tale cheesy cheesy

na ya papa i sorry for. lmao. so she vex for you and get liver to do what she do for police ? ya papa must be an abused man grin grin

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Abdulhadi Sa'idu Killed By Gunmen. Burial Photos / Police Nab 8 Suspects With 11 Human Skulls In Kwara / Teenager Commits Suicide Over Missing Money

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 113
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.