Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,483 members, 7,808,756 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 04:26 PM

Should Female Corpers Be Banned From Serving In Banks? - NYSC - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / NYSC / Should Female Corpers Be Banned From Serving In Banks? (8939 Views)

Poll: Banning female corpers from working in bank

I support it: 26% (15 votes)
I don't support it.: 73% (41 votes)
This poll has ended

This Corp Member Serving In Akwa Ibom State Is Missing / Two Female Corpers Set Ablaze In Rivers State / JNI Wants Separate Camp For Male And Female Corpers (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Should Female Corpers Be Banned From Serving In Banks? by Kweenisha: 11:50pm On Dec 05, 2008
LG Boss Wants Female Corpers Banned From Serving In Banks

Written by Tony Edike
Friday, December 5, 2008

ENUGU—CHAIRMAN of Awgu Local Government area of Enugu State, Chief Uche Anioke has advocated the ban of female participants in the National Youth Service Corps (NYSC) scheme from carrying out their primary assignments in banks.

He said that some financial institutions in the country have turned such ladies into “banking prostitutes and cheap labour” even as they are given unrealistic targets that expose them to danger.

Anioke, a former commissioner for youth and sports in the state and NYSC member during the 1984/85 session in Oyo State, regretted that the nation’s commercial banks, especially the new generation ones among them now turns female youth corps members posted to them into “banking prostitutes” saying the ugly development has defeated the objective for which the scheme was established.

He recalled that the NYSC scheme was established by decree No 24 of 22nd May, 1973 by the then General Yakubu Gowon Regime with the objective of inculcating discipline in Nigerian youths by instilling in them a traditional industry at work and of patriotic and loyal service to Nigeria in any situation they may find themselves.

The council boss who spoke with reporters during a welcome party organized by the Local Government for the batch C 2008 corps members posted to the state, frowned at a situation where some banks would pick a female corps member and sent her out for marketing after setting a target of over N20milion for her.

Such actions of the nation’s financial institutions, he noted, has negated the objective of the NYSC, adding that “I don’t think the scheme was set up to serve private organizations, it was established to serve the Nigerian public.

http://odili.net/news/source/2008/dec/5/312.html

1 Like

Re: Should Female Corpers Be Banned From Serving In Banks? by Kweenisha: 11:51pm On Dec 05, 2008
This is the most stupid thing I've ever heard.Is this sharia in Eastern Nigeria or what?
These men should leave the womenfolk alone.
Anyone that can't hold his sexual urge should cut off his "dangling yekini"
A bunch of bull if you ask me
Re: Should Female Corpers Be Banned From Serving In Banks? by DavidDylan(m): 11:56pm On Dec 05, 2008
Its not the chairman's fault, its the fault of exploitative banks.
Re: Should Female Corpers Be Banned From Serving In Banks? by Kweenisha: 11:58pm On Dec 05, 2008
DavidDylan:

Its not the chairman's fault, its the fault of exploitative banks.

He should go after them then or ask the females to report exploitations.
Isn't that a better policy?
Re: Should Female Corpers Be Banned From Serving In Banks? by DavidDylan(m): 12:00am On Dec 06, 2008
Kweenisha:

Nigeria is not the USA.
How does mr chairman go after the banks? Private banks for that matter.

1. Are the females willing to report exploitation? All because of N7,500?

2. Report to who anyway? The police?
Re: Should Female Corpers Be Banned From Serving In Banks? by 4Play(m): 12:25am On Dec 06, 2008
@ David

You can't solve the problem of the sexual exploitation of women by limiting the career opportunities of women.

Any proposal that ignores the exploiters is not worth listening to.

1 Like

Re: Should Female Corpers Be Banned From Serving In Banks? by Kweenisha: 12:59am On Dec 06, 2008
4 Play:

@ David

You can't solve the problem of the sexual exploitation of women by limiting the career opportunities of women.

Any proposal that ignores the exploiters is not worth listening to.

gbam!
some women have been known to use their bermuda triangle to scale through the university,should they also ban us from tertiary institutions?
Re: Should Female Corpers Be Banned From Serving In Banks? by Outstrip(f): 1:01am On Dec 06, 2008
It is the usual thing in Nigeria. Typically the easy solution is the best solution. Rather than have a policy and set up a commission to go after people that are exploiting women they decide to stop women from furthering their careers before they even have a chance to start it. I am sure whoever came up with this thought he was so brilliant. Nigeria for you
Re: Should Female Corpers Be Banned From Serving In Banks? by gamerod: 1:11am On Dec 06, 2008
it still amuses me and makes me laugh when I read comments from people who are far away from Nigeria, i.e. when they make comments about happenings back home, they make such comments from the dryness of their brains and with the lack of adequate information about what is realy happening at home in Nigeria, to this end, their comments are usually flawed, laughable and outrightly worth ignoring, if these goons want to actually speak and be taken serious about their comments, then, they need to come back home and live for at least three months, get into the groove of happenings, so they can get first hand information, and then, they can give constructive and reasonable commnets online,
Re: Should Female Corpers Be Banned From Serving In Banks? by JJYOU: 1:18am On Dec 06, 2008
Kweenisha:

sister nwando, check one of the banking threads i said this last year. banks are like brothels in nigeria. sad to say majority of the ladies are willing participants. it is seedy and beyond belief. the married women are the worse.  this is not the cure though.  there is something seriously broke in our country
Kweenisha:

gbam!
some women have been known to use their bermuda triangle to scale through the university,should they also ban us from tertiary institutions?
you?  you and your colourful language
game_rod:

it still amuses me and makes me laugh when I read comments from people who are far away from Nigeria, i.e. when they make comments about happenings back home, they make such comments from the dryness of their brains and with the lack of adequate information about what is realy happening at home in Nigeria, to this end, their comments are usually flawed, laughable and outrightly worth ignoring, if these goons want to actually speak and be taken serious about their comments, then, they need to come back home and live for at least three months, get into the groove of happenings, so they can get first hand information, and then, they can give constructive and reasonable commnets online,
do you know how many times some people here come to nigeria a year? i cannot begin to tell you how many calls i get for one reason or the other. all are from the female bankers. never got a call from any of the male bankers before they pay any cheque or execute any instruction or tell me what they are going or not going through. it is a shame
Re: Should Female Corpers Be Banned From Serving In Banks? by bettes(f): 1:19am On Dec 06, 2008
game_rod:

[color=#006600][/color]You're not making sense here!
Re: Should Female Corpers Be Banned From Serving In Banks? by bettes(f): 1:25am On Dec 06, 2008
Why are they banning only corpers??Are they the only women working in the bank?
They should also ban all the single girl/married women na!

As if that will solve anything, hissss

I
Re: Should Female Corpers Be Banned From Serving In Banks? by Sauron1: 1:42am On Dec 06, 2008
Kweenisha:

This is the most stupid thing I've ever heard.Is this sharia in Eastern Nigeria or what?

I support the motion. . . . .

These ladies are used like whores. . . .They make em chase clients from offices to hotel rooms.
The goal is to get men to invest in their so called banks and these women are being used as mules.
Naturally, these rich men exploit the female bankers and they(female corp members) don't have a choice cos they must meet a target.
Re: Should Female Corpers Be Banned From Serving In Banks? by na2day2(m): 1:44am On Dec 06, 2008
u know, reading some of these things about nigeria sometimes make me feel like checking my birth certificate to make use it doesn't state "STONE AGE" shocked shocked
Re: Should Female Corpers Be Banned From Serving In Banks? by bettes(f): 1:49am On Dec 06, 2008
~Sauron~:

I support the motion. . . . .

[color=#990000][/color]
To ban female corpers
Re: Should Female Corpers Be Banned From Serving In Banks? by JJYOU: 2:08am On Dec 06, 2008
na2day?:

u know, reading some of these things about nigeria sometimes make me feel like checking my birth certificate to make use it doesn't state "STONE AGE" shocked shocked
the nigeria we know is gone forever. many only worship on the altar of money and immorality now. please dont talk too much cos you are no more fully nigerian if you know what i mean
Kweenisha:

put it like this my dear sister some of These women should leave the menfolk alone.
Re: Should Female Corpers Be Banned From Serving In Banks? by lawyer(m): 2:09am On Dec 06, 2008
I did my Nysc some years back in Oyo state and during the 3 weeks  camp period, i realised that most of the girls themselves actually wanted to be posted to Ibadan town to work in main stream banks during their youth service year. You could see chicks with HND yoruba and Islamic studies jostling to jack GMAT exams so as to be called for an interview in a bank. Some of them were already trying to befriend the bankers who came to scout for potential corpers for the bank so as to just get a call up letter posting them to a bank.

At first, it seemed okay that they needed the bank jobs for their corper financial security but it later dawned on me that they cherished the marketing priviledges and perks that come with it. No body forced them and despite the hidden rumours in camp that working for a bank could be extremely stressful for corper women, they werent bothered.

i remember these 3 beautiful chicks that were posted out of Ibadan to a remote town Igbo-ara in Oyo State. They complained profusely about their posting and some way managed to come to ibadan to change their primary assignment location. These chicks were friends of a colleague in law school who was also serving with me. Immediately they highlighted from the bus, one of them was whispering that she had gotten the contact with one of the branch managers in Unity Bank in Dugbe and urged the other 2 to follow her. Later in the night, they came back to my friend's crib to spend the night, i saw 2 them dressing up in a very lascivious manner. Obviously i thought they were going for a party but one of the girls was just in a regular jeans frowning. My friend asked her whats up and she refused to tell him.

A car later drove into the house and picked the 2 chicks while the other one stayed alone in another room till the next morning. The following day, those 2 girls came back and were boasting that they wouldnt have to go back to igbo ara because apparently the branch manager had given them notes to the state coordinator that they were to resume in Unity bank after 3 weeks.

What made that single chick angry was that she later confided in my friend that their previous outting that day led to the branch manager inviting them for a sexual romp in a popular hotel in Ibadan with some of his friends and if they wanted the job, they would acceed to their requests and if they didnt, well, nothing fruitful will come out for the defaulting party. She stated that her friends tried to coerce her to go with them and since they werent indigenes of the town, they will need that extra security and financial gain to survive that corps year.

She bluntly refused and for her punishment, the 2 girls refused to chip in a good word for her and she ultimately had to return to Igbo ara to finish her service while the 2 girls stayed in Ibadan and worked with Unity bank despite the fact that they werent qualified to become bankers or were really any good as marketers.

The point i am driving at here is that despite what the local govt chairman said in respect of banning corper women from serving in banks, most chicks will go the extra mile to force themselves into banks either for sexual, financial or security gains. That L.G chairman is a lone wolf in the jungle and so many girls right now, will be scoffing at his statements and probably hating me for revealing such a damning fact!
Re: Should Female Corpers Be Banned From Serving In Banks? by Kweenisha: 2:12am On Dec 06, 2008
JJYOU:

the nigeria we know is gone forever. many only worship on the altar of money and immorality now. please don't talk too much because you are no more fully nigerian if you know what i mean

put it like this my dear sister some of These women should leave the menfolk alone.

lol
are they going to stop hiring females too?
what is the difference between the female corpers and the regular female bank staff?
Is there anything one can do that the others can't?
Re: Should Female Corpers Be Banned From Serving In Banks? by JJYOU: 2:16am On Dec 06, 2008
Kweenisha:

lol
there is this one brewing i commented on earlier https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria?topic=204338.msg3186056#msg3186056

lawyer:

I did my Nysc some years back in Oyo state and during the 3 weeks  camp period, i realised that most of the girls themselves actually wanted to be posted to Ibadan town to work in main stream banks during their youth service year. You could see chicks with HND yoruba and Islamic studies jostling to jack GMAT exams so as to be called for an interview in a bank. Some of them were already trying to befriend the bankers who came to scout for potential corpers for the bank so as to just get a call up letter posting them to a bank.

At first, it seemed okay that they needed the bank jobs for their corper financial security but it later dawned on me that they cherished the marketing priviledges and perks that come with it. No body forced them and despite the hidden rumours in camp that working for a bank could be extremely stressful for corper women, they werent bothered.

i remember these 3 beautiful chicks that were posted out of Ibadan to a remote town Igbo-ara in Oyo State. They complained profusely about their posting and some way managed to come to ibadan to change their primary assignment location. These chicks were friends of a colleague in law school who was also serving with me. Immediately they highlighted from the bus, one of them was whispering that she had gotten the contact with one of the branch managers in Unity Bank in Dugbe and urged the other 2 to follow her. Later in the night, they came back to my friend's crib to spend the night, i saw 2 them dressing up in a very lascivious manner. Obviously i thought they were going for a party but one of the girls was just in a regular jeans frowning. My friend asked her whats up and she refused to tell him.

A car later drove into the house and picked the 2 chicks while the other one stayed alone in another room till the next morning. The following day, those 2 girls came back and were boasting that they wouldnt have to go back to igbo ara because apparently the branch manager had given them notes to the state coordinator that they were to resume in Unity bank after 3 weeks.

What made that single chick angry was that she later confided in my friend that their previous outting that day led to the branch manager inviting them for a sexual romp in a popular hotel in Ibadan with some of his friends and if they wanted the job, they would acceed to their requests and if they didnt, well, nothing fruitful will come out for the defaulting party. She stated that her friends tried to coerce her to go with them and since they werent indigenes of the town, they will need that extra security and financial gain to survive that corps year.

She bluntly refused and for her punishment, the 2 girls refused to chip in a good word for her and she ultimately had to return to Igbo ara to finish her service while the 2 girls stayed in Ibadan and worked with Unity bank despite the fact that they werent qualified to become bankers or were really any good as marketers.

The point i am driving at here is that despite what the local govt chairman said in respect of banning corper women from serving in banks, most chicks will go the extra mile to force themselves into banks either for sexual, financial or security gains. That L.G chairman is a lone wolf in the jungle and so many girls right now, will be scoffing at his statements and probably hating me for revealing such a damning fact!    
you better believe there are people going to hate you for telling truth.
Re: Should Female Corpers Be Banned From Serving In Banks? by Kweenisha: 2:18am On Dec 06, 2008
lawyer:

I can bet you there are girls out there who have done the exact same thing to get jobs at NEPA and water works sef.
Should women be banned from the workforce or should there be laws in place to protect them from exploitation?
Re: Should Female Corpers Be Banned From Serving In Banks? by JJYOU: 2:22am On Dec 06, 2008
Kweenisha:

lol
are they going to stop hiring females too?
what is the difference between the female corpers and the regular female bank staff?
Is there anything one can do that the others can't?
sister nwando, this is not corpers problem my dear sister. there is something big broken in our society. i will not lie to you. you need to see it for its cheapness and tackiness to know how ugly this is.  just check last year banking thread and see some words spoken.

if God didnt teach me to run away from evil i would have joined the crowd. trust me it is ugly and shameless.
Re: Should Female Corpers Be Banned From Serving In Banks? by na2day2(m): 2:31am On Dec 06, 2008
excuse me! ! ! ! !  angry angry angry 

JJYOU:

the nigeria we know is gone forever. many only worship on the altar of money and immorality now. please don't talk too much because you are no more fully nigerian if you know what i mean

look dude, i am more nigerian than u are/u will ever be and being nigerian does not imply stupidity. the fact there is a mal-practice by banks does not imply u should ban female corpers from working there. why not just ban girls totally from going to school since there will always be male lecturers than will want girls to sexually satisfy them so they can get a good grade. before u come out here to make a point, think it through ur small skull before u let it out and pollute the intelligence of the general public  angry angry angry angry angry angry angry angry
Re: Should Female Corpers Be Banned From Serving In Banks? by bettes(f): 2:33am On Dec 06, 2008
Kweenisha:

I can bet you there are girls out there who have done the exact same thing to get jobs at NEPA and water works sef.
Should women be banned from the workforce or should there be laws in place to protect them from exploitation?
[color=#000099][/color]
It just doesnt happen in banks alone,it happens in every sector.I wouldnt call it exploitation,if the women do it willingly.
Re: Should Female Corpers Be Banned From Serving In Banks? by lawyer(m): 2:37am On Dec 06, 2008
Kweenisha:

To the best of my knowledge, i dont know any chick that has slept with anybody to get a job in Nepa as a corper, so forgive my ignorance there. Secondly, what is your defination of exploitation when a chick does everything possible to use her female attributes to sleep her way to get a job in a bank for financial security? Nobody is advocating that what men do to sleep with women to get favours is a good thing that should be encouraged but c'mon there are alot of decent and respectable chicks out there that have achieved greatness and success through their academic intelligence and innate skills. Unfortunately, that % is few and the rest would do anything possible to sleep their way through to Aso Rock.

Corper females are the easiest bait and these same females know that by using their feminine power, they can scale through anything. Just walk into any NYSC camp and interview 90% of the girls there and ask where they would likely prefer to work during their service year. Female lawyers, doctors, engineers, artists, dramatist and a host of others would tell you what i am saying. Also conduct a one on one girl to girl talk and ask them if they dont get the job through their intelligence but can get it through seduction or sex, if they would still take the bank job. The answer would not come as a shocker to you.

In fact, if you compare the salaries female corpers get in banks, you wouldnt see any marginal difference in their replies. Before the recapitalization of banks and before the mouth watering perks of the new generation banks, female corpers loathed the idea of working in a bank because they were old school and didnt give them the oportunity to flex their assets. The trend was to sleep their way through oil companies or big companies, now banks are the in thing and an added advantage is the opportunity to market and get to know more big men or guys to make their target.

It has nothing to do with exploitation, but the mindset of girls (especially female corpers) to eat their cake and have it no matter the cost!

If that's not corporate prostitution, then i dont know what that means anymore!
Re: Should Female Corpers Be Banned From Serving In Banks? by JJYOU: 2:39am On Dec 06, 2008
Kweenisha:

you don come again. nepa don die long time. water work or board don go too na bore hole and pure  water now.

what you are not getting is that most of the people you are asking for laws to protect are the ones doing the exploitation.  one was always sending messages like there was no tomorrow. i know as a woman you wont appreciate what i am saying.  me and my younger brother helped one meet her target because she was helpfull when we went for my mums funeral. my bro got so much headache from his wife for phone calls you would think he already had a wife back home. i knew where the wahala was coming from  but telling my sister inlaw there was no relationship was one of the most stressful things i have done recently

na2day?:

excuse me! ! ! ! !  angry angry angry 

look dude, i am more nigerian than u are/u will ever be and being nigerian does not imply stupidity. the fact there is a mal-practice by banks does not imply u should ban female corpers from working there. why not just ban girls totally from going to school since there will always be male lecturers than will want girls to sexually satisfy them so they can get a good grade. before u come out here to make a point, think it through ur small skull before u let it out and pollute the intelligence of the general public  angry angry angry angry angry angry angry angry
eya!  you didnt notice the sarcasm!
Re: Should Female Corpers Be Banned From Serving In Banks? by DavidDylan(m): 2:39am On Dec 06, 2008
lawyer:

To the best of my knowledge, i don't know any chick that has slept with anybody to get a job in Nepa as a corper, so forgive my ignorance there. Secondly, what is your defination of exploitation when a chick does everything possible to use her female attributes to sleep her way to get a job in a bank for financial security? Nobody is advocating that what men do to sleep with women to get favours is a good thing that should be encouraged but c'mon there are alot of decent and respectable chicks out there that have achieved greatness and success through their academic intelligence and innate skills. Unfortunately, that % is few and the rest would do anything possible to sleep their way through to Aso Rock.

Corper females are the easiest bait and these same females know that by using their feminine power, they can scale through anything. Just walk into any NYSC camp and interview 90% of the girls there and ask where they would likely prefer to work during their service year. Female lawyers, doctors, engineers, artists, dramatist and a host of others would tell you what i am saying. Also conduct a one on one girl to girl talk and ask them if they don't get the job through their intelligence but can get it through seduction or sex, if they would still take the bank job. The answer would not come as a shocker to you.

In fact, if you compare the salaries female corpers get in banks, you wouldnt see any marginal difference in their replies. Before the recapitalization of banks and before the mouth watering perks of the new generation banks, female corpers loathed the idea of working in a bank because they were old school and didnt give them the oportunity to flex their assets. The trend was to sleep their way through oil companies or big companies, now banks are the in thing and an added advantage is the opportunity to market and get to know more big men or guys to make their target.

It has nothing to do with exploitation, but the mindset of girls (especially female corpers) to eat their cake and have it no matter the cost!

If that's not corporate prostitution, then i don't know what that means anymore!

thank you. I also served some 3 yrs ago and it was the same thing.
The girls arent complaining to be honest . . . Go to the NYSC secretariat after the postings and see girls scrambling to get reposting letters to banks. no one forced them.
Re: Should Female Corpers Be Banned From Serving In Banks? by DavidDylan(m): 2:42am On Dec 06, 2008
Kweenisha:

You've been in America for so long . . . things have changed since then.

Those girls arent complaining, no one is exploiting them. they willfuly chose to put themselves in that situation.
Re: Should Female Corpers Be Banned From Serving In Banks? by na2day2(m): 2:42am On Dec 06, 2008
JJYOU:

eya!  you didnt ndidn't the sarcasm!  

no, i dont play with my nationality like that. so look for something else to poke ur jokes with  angry angry
Re: Should Female Corpers Be Banned From Serving In Banks? by JJYOU: 2:48am On Dec 06, 2008
DavidDylan:

thank you. I also served some 3 years ago and it was the same thing.
The girls arent complaining to be honest . . . Go to the NYSC secretariat after the postings and see girls scrambling to get reposting letters to banks. no one forced them.
DavidDylan:

You've been in America for so long . . . things have changed since then.

Those girls arent complaining, no one is exploiting them. they willfuly chose to put themselves in that situation.
bro David stop saying things like this.  you mean you didnt see any being forced at gun point into these banks.  one of my friend told me one day if he reincarnated  he would like to come as a woman. when i asked why?  his answer was that these girls get the equivalent of his salary as gifts right left and center.  he is by the way a senior regional banker. i will copy these notes to him. he will just laugh
Re: Should Female Corpers Be Banned From Serving In Banks? by JJYOU: 2:50am On Dec 06, 2008
na2day?:

no, i don't play with my nationality like that. so look for something else to poke ur jokes with  angry angry
how did you miss game rod piece then?
Re: Should Female Corpers Be Banned From Serving In Banks? by DavidDylan(m): 2:55am On Dec 06, 2008
JJYOU:

bro david stop saying things like this.  you mean you didnt see any being forced at gun point into these banks.  one of my freind told me one day if he reincarnated  he would like to come as a woman. when i asked why  his answer was that these girls get the equivalent of his salary as gifts right left and center.  he is by the way a senior regional banker. if will copy this thing to him. he will just laugh

my brother, a lot of us have become so americanised that we have time to cry about "exploitation".
Na because of this chics a lot of guys get posted outside major towns because the "oga's" have already enjoyed free "back for ground" from the chics seeking plum positions to elite banks.
Re: Should Female Corpers Be Banned From Serving In Banks? by JJYOU: 3:22am On Dec 06, 2008
DavidDylan:

my brother, a lot of us have become so americanised that we have time to cry about "exploitation".
Na because of this chics a lot of guys get posted outside major towns because the "oga's" have already enjoyed free "back for ground" from the chics seeking plum positions to elite banks.
bro david, they are the ones doing the exploiting here o.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

How To Know Ur Nysc Mobilization Status / Nysc Batch C 2014......yobe Corpers...where Una!! / The Minimum Wage Of N17, 000 Is Nonsense

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 136
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.