Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,486 members, 7,808,781 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 04:50 PM

Thread For PHD Students - Education (13) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Thread For PHD Students (325820 Views)

Which University In Nigeria or abroad Accepts 3.0 Msc Grade For Phd Admission? / 4 Good Reason Why You Should Go For Phd And 7 Bad Reasons Why You Should Not / Presidential Scholarship Scheme For Ist Class Nigerian Graduates For Phd Abroad (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) (16) ... (105) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Thread For PHD Students by Nobody: 5:16pm On Dec 19, 2014
Iytech:
Nattering nabob of negativism grin

cheesy cheesy grin grin grin grin. I heard Nigerian PhD holders are good in using 'big' words. I still cannot wrap my head around that statement. Thank you for that though.
Re: Thread For PHD Students by HonkyDory: 5:25pm On Dec 19, 2014

10 Likes

Re: Thread For PHD Students by Priceless24(f): 5:39pm On Dec 19, 2014
all4naija:
cheesy cheesy grin grin grin grin. I heard Nigerian PhD holders are good in using 'big' words. I still cannot wrap my head around that statement. Thank you for that though.

I almost replied you last night when I first saw your negative posts, but I'm glad I didn't because I'm pretty sure I would have said something I would end up regretting.

Although you may have valid points concerning the state of the country or the quality of graduates no one will listen to you if you come into a forum hurling insults at everyone. Are you the first person to learn the English language? The thread was opened to share information for people interested in the degree, if you are not interested it's ok.

Since you claim PhD holders have done nothing for the country can you tell us what you have done? Are PhD holders responsible for the state of the country? If I decide to further an academic career how does it equate to carrying Nigeria's problems? Where is it stated that change must come from PhD holders?

That aside, every individual in Nigeria has a duty to move the country forward. Progress is not tied to the extent of a person's academic pursuit. People have different goals in life and if yours is to become Nigeria's messiah bros go ahead, God will bless you.

22 Likes

Re: Thread For PHD Students by husseinjnr: 5:46pm On Dec 19, 2014
Now, lets focus on the aim of the thread.

1 Like

Re: Thread For PHD Students by slydog(m): 6:09pm On Dec 19, 2014
husseinjnr:
Please if your are inclined to PHD studies, please register here, do a bit of introduction and let's start. Your discipline, your Msc study and intended PHD study. I mean research area.

Bsc Economics
MSC Economics
PhD Economics (seeking admission, yet to write proposal)

Pls I need help on proposal writing

1 Like

Re: Thread For PHD Students by GboyegaD(m): 6:23pm On Dec 19, 2014
husseinjnr:
My dear, you really need help. How I wish someone can use you as a research specimen. You are a very good specimen. You are so bottled up with your personal hatred for people who have not offended you.

My dear, please work on your emotional intelligence. You need it to succeed in life. If you continue this way, you might end up being very myopic and stupid .

You need not respond to him. He is the type who thinks he knows and of a truth is highly ignorant. He is only seeking attention thus, responding to him gives him a reason to continue trolling on here.

2 Likes

Re: Thread For PHD Students by Priceless24(f): 6:36pm On Dec 19, 2014
slydog:

Bsc Economics
MSC Economics
PhD Economics (seeking admission, yet to write proposal)

Pls I need help on proposal writing

If it's about the format I'm sure you can find several samples on google. All you need do is tailor your research to fit the structure of the sample and you can edit all you want.

If it's about the research topic, sorry I no sabi economics

2 Likes

Re: Thread For PHD Students by husseinjnr: 7:11pm On Dec 19, 2014
Dear friends, please can we have the experienced ones among us highlight the steps they went through in securing their doctoral admission. This is to enable intending students follow these steps. From the posts, a lot of us don't have a clear direction on how to go about it. The responses will serve as guidelines for intending students.

Am sure the steps will not be the same across board.

I look forward to detailed feedback .

Thank you all in anticipation for your kind response.

3 Likes

Re: Thread For PHD Students by husseinjnr: 7:22pm On Dec 19, 2014
Keneking:

What is the tolerance level? I mean acceptable levels for citations especially for Chapters 2...
I will advise that you reference everything that is not your IP. It is better to err on the side of caution.

1 Like

Re: Thread For PHD Students by husseinjnr: 7:34pm On Dec 19, 2014
yinchar:

B.Tech Computer Science

M.Sc Information Systems (India)

P.hD Information Technology (1st Year)(South Africa)

Research Area: Semantic Integration of Wireless Sensors Data for Internet of Things (IoT)
Impressive. I just read comprehensively about IoT for the first time. Thank you. A lot of things will be revealed on this thread.

2 Likes

Re: Thread For PHD Students by Roundabout: 7:56pm On Dec 19, 2014
Synthase:

sounds familiar! UI?
You're right,for the Msc, UI!,but,I enrolled for the PhD in FUTA.
Re: Thread For PHD Students by husseinjnr: 7:56pm On Dec 19, 2014
TonySpike:
I just rounded up my Doctorate degree in Electronic Engineering with specialization in Queueing theory applications in communication systems operating at microwave bands.

It was a crazy period in my life as I had to combine disciplines such as probability theory, non-Markovian queueing systems, meteorology, atmospheric physics, information theory and advanced digital communications in a rare way. To upcoming PhD candidates, I'd say be original and novel in your methodological approach to research. And publish, publish, publish to give your research a wider audience!!!
Can you please share your journey with us. From the process of applying to any other details you may want to share with us. I plead. Thank you
Re: Thread For PHD Students by Nobody: 9:09pm On Dec 19, 2014
Egbon I sight you o. How is canada now? You just go AWOL for the visa thread. Hope you are preparing well for the yuletide season? Just want to say hi, sir.
GboyegaD:

You need not respond to him. He is the type who thinks he knows and of a truth is highly ignorant. He is only seeking attention thus, responding to him gives him a reason to continue trolling on here.
Re: Thread For PHD Students by timothyuche1(m): 9:12pm On Dec 19, 2014
Just looking for cheap popularity.
People don't comment on his thread so he is frustrated.
I think the theory by Robert Dahl best explain this character - Depression, Frustration, Aggression theory

8 Likes

Re: Thread For PHD Students by SenatorJames(m): 9:31pm On Dec 19, 2014
This thread will be highly helpful, not only for these people now, but many that will come across it later.

It will also encourages many people that see Ph.D as a no go area.
Re: Thread For PHD Students by GboyegaD(m): 9:51pm On Dec 19, 2014
sirRiddy:
Egbon I sight you o. How is canada now? You just go AWOL for the visa thread. Hope you are preparing well for the yuletide season? Just want to say hi, sir.

Alagba, Canada is fine ooo. I no go AWOL ooo as I too small to do that. Na work use style plenty and the thread dey grow exponentially.
Re: Thread For PHD Students by annieosu: 9:58pm On Dec 19, 2014
B.Sc Botany
M.Sc Plant Breeding and Genetics
PhD Cytogenetics in view
Re: Thread For PHD Students by Nobody: 10:02pm On Dec 19, 2014
Okay sir. Olorun a je ki odun bawa laye o. Good night, sir.
GboyegaD:

Alagba, Canada is fine ooo. I no go AWOL ooo as I too small to do that. Na work use style plenty and the thread dey grow exponentially.
Re: Thread For PHD Students by GboyegaD(m): 10:05pm On Dec 19, 2014
husseinjnr:
Dear friends, please can we have the experienced ones among us highlight the steps they went through in securing their doctoral admission. This is to enable intending students follow these steps. From the posts, a lot of us don't have a clear direction on how to go about it. The responses will serve as guidelines for intending students.

Am sure the steps will not be the same across board.

I look forward to detailed feedback .

Thank you all in anticipation for your kind response.

I am going to talk about applying to a doctoral program in Economics in Canada and the U.S.
The basic tools you need academically for admission into U.S. program is at least a good grade in Intermediate Micro and Macroeconomics, Calculus I, II, and III. For the very top ones, they also require courses like Numerical Methods, ODE, and Linear Algebra.
You will be required to write GRE and should have in most cases at least 160 for many low rated programs, 163 for mid rated programs, and 166 for top rated programs in Quantitative Analysis.
In addition, you need very good letters of recommendation and a well drafted statement of purpose.

As for Canada, it is same except for the rigorous math which could be put aside nonetheless, you need at least Calculus I and II. You also need a Masters degree in Economics or some other Mathematically inclined courses.

4 Likes

Re: Thread For PHD Students by wip7: 10:06pm On Dec 19, 2014
-Msc Polymer and medicinal Chem
-Msc Chemistry
-PhD Environmental analytical Chem
-Published 32 peer review articles currently
-16 research articles under editorial review
-Reviewer for the following Journals: Journal of Hazardous materials, Journal of water process Engineering, Korean Journal Of Chemical Eng, Arabian Journal of Chemistry, Chemical Engineering communications journal, Journal of nanoparticles etc
- 48 international conferences
- Current Junior research leader on Turkish Govt sponsored project worth 500,000 TL (recovery of boron and oil waste)
- Two book chapters on Springer: Nano-ceramic materials: preparation and applications (Springer publisher), Smart materials for bio-medical applications
- Member American chemical society, Society of environmental and toxicology society, Society of Chemical industries, member American Black Engineers, Canadian Chemical Eng society etc.

Attached some of the work done and certificate issued by Elservier.

The most interesting aspect of PhD studies is the research, the research brings money, fame and capability to solve problems. If PhD students can publish good number of articles will not have much job issues especially in innovative fields and emerging areas.

24 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Thread For PHD Students by GboyegaD(m): 10:22pm On Dec 19, 2014
sirRiddy:
Okay sir. Olorun a je ki odun bawa laye o. Good night, sir.

Amin e po.

1 Like

Re: Thread For PHD Students by mapet: 10:25pm On Dec 19, 2014
My Brother,
1. I left IT 5years ago, after spending 9yrs. Although I majored in Information Systems in my IT career. Back in my IT days I went thru certifications ranging from CISA, CISM, CGEIT, Prince II, Oracle etc.
2. I was a part-time lecturer in one of the training institutions, I taught CISA courses, and computer studies....
3. In my company I was involved in business process analysis and improvement projects, and a lots of cross functional projects. I was involved in company's ERP projects
4. I decided to go for MBA to enhance my chances to cross over to mainstream business line. While I was in IT I discovered few things. (a) In the Oil and Gas Industry where I am, IT is not the mainstream business, so peak will be IT manager, and I was much more ambitious than that. (b) I discovered that success in many of the projects I was involved in required knowledge of the business. While I was teaching IT, I was inspired by the IT/Business Alignment. My business analysis exposure also made me realize that knowledge business was key for success
5. So I emptied my "treasury", with my investment to go to Business School.....my sojourn in business school opened my eyes a lot.......coupled with the fact that I must have distinguished myself in cross-functional assignment and project team assignments, hence caught the eye of my Executive Director, who offered me a position in Corporate Strategy......and that's what I've been doing for the past 5years.

So let's talk about you.....
1. Project Management - You can explore either PMP or Prince II. My Prince II license is expired, but if things still work like my time, you write 2 exams, Foundation and Practitioner. Yes you many need to get yourself into training institution. First get a project management certification....experience will come with the job. Since you're fresh from school, you have potential to pass Project Management exam, but you must study hard. Find any IT organization probably offer to work for free on a project, to gain project experience....
2. Having a Masters in Computer Science is a plus, may or may not enhance your progression. Since you have a first degree in CS, I think an MBA first could be a option....IT career is more of skills and certification driven and less of MSC., so you may need to consider that.
sirRiddy:
I like your profile, sir. I am a graduate of computer science with a flair for software development and project management. I want to do an MSc in CS too like you did. As you are into IT and business, I would like to seek your advice on how best I can foray into project management now that I have some time to spare. I have some literature to go through in a couple of months before NYSC in march, but I am also thinking of registering in a training institute so that I can be motivated enough. Would you be kind to tell me how to optimize my time and resources in acquiring good PM skills? Thanks.

1 Like

Re: Thread For PHD Students by Priceless24(f): 10:26pm On Dec 19, 2014
wip7:
-Msc Chemistry
-Reviewer for the following Journals: Journal of Hazardous materials, Journal of water process Engineering, Korean Journal Of Chemical Eng, Arabian Journal of Chemistry, Chemical Engineering communications journal, Journal of nanoparticles etc
- Current Junior research leader on Turkish Govt sponsored project worth 500,000 TL (recovery of boron and oil waste)
- Two book chapters on Springer: Nano-ceramic materials: preparation and applications (Springer publisher), Smart materials for bio-medical applications
- Member American chemical society, Society of environmental and toxicology society, Society of Chemical industries, member American Black Engineers, Canadian Chemical Eng society etc.

The most interesting aspect of PhD studies is the research, the research brings money, fame and capability to solve problems. If PhD students can publish good number of articles will not have much job issues especially in innovative fields and emerging areas.

13 Likes 1 Share

Re: Thread For PHD Students by husseinjnr: 10:32pm On Dec 19, 2014
@wip7, you are indeed a great inspiration . Please as stated in my previous post, please can you kindly highlight the steps you went through in securing your doctoral admission. This is to enable intending students follow these steps.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Thread For PHD Students by jeebz: 10:34pm On Dec 19, 2014
wip7:
-Msc Chemistry

Dear Doctor, we need services in Nigeria. Topical issues like Niger Delta pollution as well as pollution of the inland waterways

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Thread For PHD Students by mapet: 10:39pm On Dec 19, 2014
obinoral1179:
bro this ur combination looks na wa ooooo. But why did you choose to do PGD instead of going through MSC direct? Ur experience might help a brother here.

Thanks a lot.

Bros,

1. I lost handle of my studies at a critical time during secondary school days, hence I messed up JAMB and was unable to secure admission into Computer Science in Unilag, so I found myself in LASU
2. I was determined to fight my way back to my first love.......so I went thru PGD and MSC. In my time, those without a first degree in computer science/computer related were required to go through PGD before MSC
3. But I've left IT. I am now in mainstream business.....which makes "real wa" again undecided
Re: Thread For PHD Students by Nobody: 10:51pm On Dec 19, 2014
@mapet
Wow. That was lovely, sir.
Firstly, I want to go for a training in project management in order to arm myself with ample theoretical knowledge of the discipline. I am not in a rush to get certified, I just want to bolster my knowledge bank and get hands-on experience on projects. My six-month UG internship was in a PMO as a PM intern, that is where the interest sparked. I would just have to seek for volunteering opportunities in order to hone my practical skills on projects after my training.
Secondly, my masters in CS is not just another degree. Apart from a mastering of advanced concepts in
CS, my ultimate aim is to become a software/IT project manager. My adventure after my MSc would determine if I will opt for a PhD or MBA, the former being the more preferred option.
So, brother, I am not making wild decisions. They are well planned but as a flexible guy, I am always open to necessary changes and improvements.
Re: Thread For PHD Students by wip7: 10:52pm On Dec 19, 2014
husseinjnr:
@wip7, you are indeed a great inspiration . Please as stated in my previous post, please can you kindly highlight the steps you went through in securing your doctoral admission. This is to enable intending students follow these steps.

I schooled in different countries tasted Europe and Canada. Admission process varies from one country to another, am not familiar with Nigerian or African PhD admission process. I have co-supervised 7 master students recently and for me what i look for in students that will work with me is research capability, will, innovative ideas and background in intended field of studies. PhD applicants must be a able to prepare good Résumé, strong research proposal and varying background.

For me, I can or will only work with applicants that possess the following and thats what my supervisors do check also when we are taking students into our group:

1. Novel research plan: applicants must be able to demonstrate the skills, background experience and replicate innovative ideas on next or possible research they will work on

2. Ability to use modern and basic tools (softwares, analytical equipments etc)

3. Good Résumé

4. Write concise and sound email to your potential supervisor asking if you can work with him/her. Follow up on the response

5. If admitted, all supervisors want students that will work diligently on research and publish good number of articles, attend meaningful conferences and present their works.

6. Phd candidates must be able to use enough softwares in their field, proficient in dealing with research.

7. Choose university or country that will recognize your research input and one way or the other support you financially. For me, each publication in my end ranges btwn 170-500K in Naira the university and Govt paid each time you publish, so this geared me up to publish more and while doing this earned me more respect in the academic world and, I started receiving reviewing invitations. Although many students do not look or know they should also look for the following benefits.

8. Enough publications open ups wide positions to choose from etc.

9. Applicants must ensure they check the departments website before they go their to see the equipments they have and if is what they need to carryout their work. Without adequate equipments research will be boring and slow.

13 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Thread For PHD Students by wip7: 10:56pm On Dec 19, 2014
jeebz:

Dear Doctor, we need services in Nigeria. Topical issues like Niger Delta pollution as well as pollution of the inland waterways

I have good number of practical work on wastewater remediation and some of my work have been put into use in 3 factories where commercial activated carbon beads from coconut and fruits waste are produced. I have strong heart to replicate similar factory upon my arrival in Nigeria. Evry PhD work must be turned to practical use to solve issues.

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: Thread For PHD Students by obinoral1179(m): 11:07pm On Dec 19, 2014
mapet:

Bros,

1. I lost handle of my studies at a critical time during secondary school days, hence I messed up JAMB and was unable to secure admission into Computer Science in Unilag, so I found myself in LASU
2. I was determined to fight my way back to my first love.......so I went thru PGD and MSC. In my time, those without a first degree in computer science/computer related were required to go through PGD before MSC
3. But I've left IT. I am now in mainstream business.....which makes "real wa" again undecided
good one bro. Wish you all the best in life.
Re: Thread For PHD Students by wip7: 11:08pm On Dec 19, 2014
ahamdiheme:
B.Eng.: Electrical Electronics Engineering
M.Sc.: Electrical Electronics Engineering - Wireless Communication
PhD.: Electrical Electronics Engineering - Medical Image Processing [in view]

6 International conference papers published
2 Journal articles under review
2 Journal articles yet to be submitted
Various international workshops, symposia, etc attended

A bit worried about the next thing to do once I am done, Post. Doc? Your advice will go a long way.

Boss, you may go for Post Doc if you need to improve your knowledge in your current area or expand to new area. 1-2yrs Post Doc may be nice but with Good number of articles you will surely or possibly get Asst.Prof positions although some uni or research org may require for post doc experience.

2 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) ... (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) (16) ... (105) (Reply)

2018/2019 Admission Process Thread Guide / 2016/2017 UTME And Admission Process Thread / Apply for 2018/2019 PTDF Scholarship in Germany/France/China

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 77
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.