Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,554 members, 7,809,025 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 09:13 PM

Thread For PHD Students - Education (19) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Thread For PHD Students (325846 Views)

Which University In Nigeria or abroad Accepts 3.0 Msc Grade For Phd Admission? / 4 Good Reason Why You Should Go For Phd And 7 Bad Reasons Why You Should Not / Presidential Scholarship Scheme For Ist Class Nigerian Graduates For Phd Abroad (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (16) (17) (18) (19) (20) (21) (22) ... (105) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Thread For PHD Students by effyzie01(m): 6:37am On Jan 05, 2015
wip7:

Thats fine, i will love to hear more on how your work goes in that region. Really, if the Govt show interest in the remediation work, i think it will benefit the researcher a lot. Try to demonstrate the use of the adsorbent for them in Lab or small scale industry-type system. See what you can use the recovered Pb to do.

You have to ensure that your adsorbent desorption capability and desorption rate is rapid and high that way you can spend less adsorbent and still remediate high capacity.

May i ask, how do you intend to destroy underlying gases in the Landfill since your adsorbent may likely take only adsorbates like Pb, Cu etc not gases.

We hope to do all that.

The work on bottom ash is different from my PhD work on leachate attenuation.

In Nigeria, we don't have landfills much as we have a 'landhill'. There is no engineered landfill (or even a sanitary one) in Sokoto, they're just open plots where waste is dumped so the gases generated cannot be destroyed as all of them will escape. The idea for this work came up after I made a strong recommendation for a construction of, at least, a sanitary landfill in the state in one of our in-house seminars attended by the state's SSG.

They really are keen
Re: Thread For PHD Students by husseinjnr: 11:48pm On Jan 08, 2015
Dear All, happy new year. It is time again to move on to a critical part of the doctoral journey which is the Research Proposal Writing (RPW).

A lot of intending doctoral students have challenges writing a winning research proposal .

This is a question to the experienced ones among us; What are the attributes of a research proposal destined for success .

While answering this question, you may choose to provide practical examples or share your personal experience with us.

Thank you.

5 Likes

Re: Thread For PHD Students by ahamdiheme: 1:59pm On Jan 12, 2015
husseinjnr:
Dear All, happy new year. It is time again to move on to a critical part of the doctoral journey which is the Research Proposal Writing (RPW).

A lot of intending doctoral students have challenges writing a winning research proposal .

This is a question to the experienced ones among us; What are the attributes of a research proposal destined for success .

While answering this question, you may choose to provide practical examples or share your personal experience with us.

Thank you.

Two things I would look out for are novelty and literature review.
Make sure you have read sufficient literature so that you can identify areas that have not been explored yet. A good literature review will also expose loop holes in already existing work.
Make sure your proposed solution is novel, it should be an original contribution to knowledge.
I hope that helps.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Thread For PHD Students by OCcool: 4:08pm On Jan 14, 2015
ahamdiheme:

Two things I would look out for are novelty and literature review.
Make sure you have read sufficient literature so that you can identify areas that have not been explored yet. A good literature review will also expose loop holes in already existing work.
Make sure your proposed solution is novel, it should be an original contribution to knowledge.
I hope that helps.
Good day sir. Please do you know how much it costs to publish a journal online? Thanks.

2 Likes

Re: Thread For PHD Students by ahamdiheme: 5:00pm On Jan 14, 2015
OCcool:
Good day sir. Please do you know how much it costs to publish a journal online? Thanks.

I suppose you are asking about publishing an article in a journal and not the journal itself?
Well it depends on a number of factors, the price could vary from free to some hundreds of USDs:

1. "Subscription articles" are funded by payments that are made by subscribing individuals or institutions, and that are free to authors
2. "Open access articles" are funded by payments that are made by authors or their institutions or funding bodies, and that are free to readers
3. Every journal has her own price, there is no fixed price for all journals. Some of the factors that affect the price are: the impact factor, who/where indexes the journal, etc

So obviously it is not a question that can be answered by just quoting a figure. I hope the info has been of help.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Thread For PHD Students by TonySpike: 5:48pm On Jan 14, 2015
OCcool:

Well, it depends on the status of the journal in academic circles. For example, journals like Radio Science which a member journal of AGU journals requires a publication fee not less than US$1000. Others might even tell you to pay more or less. My supervisor once told me that there are elite journals and ordinary journals...lol. Some publishers could ask you to even pay as much as US$3500 to make your journals open access on their portals!

1 Like

Re: Thread For PHD Students by OCcool: 8:31pm On Jan 14, 2015
@TonySpike and ahamdiheme

Thanks so much for your response. I was enquiring on publishing articles as ahamdiheme rightly pointed out. The journal I have in mind is Africa journal online (AJOL). So I don't know if u have any idea as regards how much fee they charge to publish articles
Re: Thread For PHD Students by padeolu: 4:59am On Jan 31, 2015
B.Sc. Geography and Resource Management (UNIOSUN)

M.Sc. Environmental Management and Control (rounding up)
(OAU)

PhD. Tropical Bioclimatology (hopefully)
Re: Thread For PHD Students by jeebz: 8:59pm On Jan 31, 2015
padeolu:
B.Sc. Geography and Resource Management (UNIOSUN)

M.Sc. Environmental Management and Control (rounding up)
(OAU)

PhD. Tropical Bioclimatology (hopefully)
Nice one, what are your research interests?
Re: Thread For PHD Students by padeolu: 9:57pm On Jan 31, 2015
jeebz:

Nice one, what are your research interests?
human thermal comfort, comfort climates, and weather extremes (in terms of heat n cold stress).

I'm actually working on that for my M.Sc although on a much smaller scale (southwest Nigeria) , am thinking of doing the same study for PhD on a wider scale, prolly west Africa or tropical Africa.

1 Like

Re: Thread For PHD Students by uau(m): 8:17am On Feb 01, 2015
B.Sc. Computer Science (UNIUYO)
M.Sc. Computer Science (UNILAG)
MBA (NOUN) - Rounding up
P.HD (next agenda)

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Thread For PHD Students by jeebz: 11:36am On Feb 01, 2015
uau:
B.Sc. Computer Science (UNIUYO)
M.Sc. Computer Science (UNILAG)
MBA (NOUN) - Rounding up
P.HD (next agenda)
Research Interests?
Re: Thread For PHD Students by uau(m): 1:51pm On Feb 01, 2015
Yes.Looking at GeoInformatics
Re: Thread For PHD Students by jeebz: 3:32pm On Feb 01, 2015
uau:
Yes.Looking at GeoInformatics
Nice one. I'm in love with Machine Learning and Data Science.
Re: Thread For PHD Students by dabgr: 1:31am On Feb 03, 2015
Javanian:
Please, to those that did/are doing their Ph.D in a Nigerian University, how can I find current research work done by a certain Professor?

@Iyeade123 @9jacrip @fame12k @dabgr @Priceless24 @jamesandrew

@javanian, guess you have gotten adequate information regarding getting a research work by a Prof. Most information can be gotten online when you already have a line of interest and potential supervisor.
Re: Thread For PHD Students by Nobody: 10:21pm On Feb 03, 2015
I want to research on Wireless Power Transfer via resonance and electromagnetism using the mutual inductance principle of transformer as background case study. Someone should please give a hint on how to go about it. What subtopics, numerical analysis and mathematical modelling should I consider or look forward to?

Thanks so much...in anticipation.

1 Like

Re: Thread For PHD Students by Ralph30: 10:21pm On Feb 19, 2015
Helo
This project topic offers you all you need to get an A in your finals, your destiny is in your hands.
Chemical Engineering, Industrial Chemistry, Natural science as a whole are lucky to have this

Locally Sourced Castor Oil, and its Comparative Analysis with Commercial Castor Oil
http://www.uniprojectsearch.com/locally-sourced-castor-oil-comparative-analysis-commercial-castor-oil/

thanks
www.uniprojectsearch.com has A-grade project, thesis and dissertation topics and materials- Check for yours
Re: Thread For PHD Students by FloraG(f): 6:41am On Feb 20, 2015
B.Sc Food Science and Technology (Nigeria)

M.Sc Food Technology (India)

PhD (Seeking PhD positions in Canada, USA or other developed countries with funding opportunities).

I'm currently drafting out mails to send to potential supervisors.Will appreciate if some like minds on this thread could help me proof-read.
Thanks
Re: Thread For PHD Students by Nobody: 8:10am On Feb 20, 2015
In few years,i will also join you all...

Following!
Re: Thread For PHD Students by cabotage: 8:45am On Feb 20, 2015
For data collection and analysis of your business, research works and academic thesis, kindly contact us at Lekeigh Consulting and Technologies.
Tel: 08052076932, 08060564275
Field of Specialization:
Management
Social Science
Arts & Humanities
Geographic Information System
Re: Thread For PHD Students by Sunavico(f): 8:46am On Feb 21, 2015
Good morning all, Can a CGPA of 3.79(Unilag MA English) be accepted for a PhD anywhere? Or will I have to, first of all,apply for Mphil? Or betterstill apply for another MA programme? I will really appreciate your kind advice.
Re: Thread For PHD Students by Ralph30: 4:52pm On Feb 23, 2015
am happy to tell you this
As you write your dissertation make sure you make the right choices

example
This project topic and material is for nursing students who are taking their psychiatric nursing clinical experience. this is one of numerous psychiatric nursing project reports available

A Nursing Care Study on a Patient with Bipolar Disorder
http://www.uniprojectsearch.com/nursing-care-study-patient-bipolar-disorder/

No mater your department check on www.uniprojectsearch.com to get project topic and materials
Re: Thread For PHD Students by fOFT: 4:06pm On Feb 28, 2015
effyzie01:

We hope to do all that.

The work on bottom ash is different from my PhD work on leachate attenuation.

In Nigeria, we don't have landfills much as we have a 'landhill'. There is no engineered landfill (or even a sanitary one) in Sokoto, they're just open plots where waste is dumped so the gases generated cannot be destroyed as all of them will escape. The idea for this work came up after I made a strong recommendation for a construction of, at least, a sanitary landfill in the state in one of our in-house seminars attended by the state's SSG.

They really are keen
B.Eng Electrical and Electronics Engineering
M.Sc Electronic Engineering(Space Communication and Sensing)(in view)
I humbly request for links for paid or unpaid internship ASAP.
Ph.D is also on my mind

1 Like

Re: Thread For PHD Students by fOFT: 4:08pm On Feb 28, 2015
wip7:

That is great to hear about this. Wow environmental chem is actually a great area. I have extensive knowledge of that and i have developed robust system for single to multiple stage treatment of industrial water, hospital wastewater, emerging pollutants like antibiotics, phenolic compounds like p-nitrophenol etc.

You may try Chicken Eggshell/duck eggshells as Heterogeneous catalyst...

Your bioethanol: How do you classify it? is it Ethanol or methanol? cos with Ethanol, you will get low product yield due to the chain conformation...methanol is perfect!

B.Eng Electrical and Electronics Engineering
M.Sc Electronic Engineering(Space Communication and Sensing)(in view)
I humbly request for links for paid or unpaid internship ASAP.
Ph.D is also on my mind
I have a recently submitted works on the following and how does that relate to your region:

1. Geostatistical modeling and fractal simulation for mineral resource classification in Landfill sites

2. Evaluation and Characterization of vertical distribution of geochemical data in samsun gold deposit using fractal models
Re: Thread For PHD Students by ayoola190: 4:31pm On Feb 28, 2015
I heard that a 2:2 graduate with masters degree cannot be employed as a lecturer unless with a doctorate degree. Please how true is this and how can I make my way into lecturing profession??

I think this should be the right place to ask this question.
Re: Thread For PHD Students by padeolu: 1:24am On Mar 06, 2015
Please I need help on this question. Thanks.

What is the difference between call for paper and call for abstract?

In case of any of the two, what is one expected to submit? An abstract (summary), proposal or the whole research article?

Aside notice boards, where else can one source for (Nigerian) conference adverts since most (if not all) hardly reach the internet.

Thanks
Re: Thread For PHD Students by ahamdiheme: 4:44am On Mar 06, 2015
A call for paper could mean either one of two things:
1. Special issues of journals would usually call for papers
2. Conferences also call for papers.
In the aforementioned cases, you are expected to submit a complete article.

A call for abstracts requires you to respond by sending in only an abstract, the format and length will be specified. Some conferences call for abstracts first then the full paper afterwards while others require the abstract only. If an abstract is submitted, the expectation is that you will complete the work by sending in the full paper for review (conference or journal) and subsequent publishing (hopefully).

Sorry I can't help with your last question but I hope the information that I have provided helps to clarify things.

padeolu:

Please I need help on this question. Thanks.

What is the difference between call for paper and call for abstract?

In case of any of the two, what is one expected to submit? An abstract (summary), proposal or the whole research article?

Aside notice boards, where else can one source for (Nigerian) conference adverts since most (if not all) hardly reach the internet.

Thanks

1 Like

Re: Thread For PHD Students by jayriginal: 9:05am On Mar 06, 2015
ayoola190:
I heard that a 2:2 graduate with masters degree cannot be employed as a lecturer unless with a doctorate degree. Please how true is this and how can I make my way into lecturing profession??

I think this should be the right place to ask this question.

It is true.

To make your way into academic, you need to possess a 2:1 (minimum requirement for a Graduate Assistant). You will be required to obtain a Masters degree withing four years of appointment.

If you do not have a 2:1, you will need a 2:2, a masters degree and a PhD. With that, you can be employed as Lecturer 2.
Re: Thread For PHD Students by 2fine2fast(m): 4:16pm On Mar 08, 2015
Hello everyone.
B.Tech - Biochemistry, FUTMinna

M.Tech - Applied Biochemistry (Toxicology Option), FUTA.
Thesis: Acetaminophen Induced Liver Damage: The effects of Parinari flavonoids on some Biochemical Indices and Antioxidant Parameters.

PhD- Next..........

Going through this thread has made me to realize that i still have a lot to learn.
I am planning to start my PhD in Europe next year and want to focus my research on Toxicology/ Phytomedicine.
I am so open to your suggestions and guidance. Thanks.

1 Like

Re: Thread For PHD Students by husseinjnr: 9:20pm On Mar 10, 2015
onlineresources:

We can help you write your projects with ease by helping you download your online journal articles at a cheap rate. Send the titles of the articles to our email uf@ufumes.com or call O7O35765435.
Dear online sources, please note that at this level, there is a lot of attention paid to diligence. The required research is not a watery drag and drop dustbin exercise. Therefore your services is not required. Also, why are you trying to promote academic dishonesty? Are you aware this is criminal. I have seen a lot of people disgraced because of academic dishonesty. Please let this be the last time you will post this fraud you call an advert. Thank you and God bless you.

9 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Thread For PHD Students by proflomo(m): 6:58pm On Mar 19, 2015
Any PhD (Physics) student here?

(1) (2) (3) ... (16) (17) (18) (19) (20) (21) (22) ... (105) (Reply)

2018/2019 Admission Process Thread Guide / 2016/2017 UTME And Admission Process Thread / Apply for 2018/2019 PTDF Scholarship in Germany/France/China

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 61
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.