Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,416 members, 7,808,486 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 12:38 PM

Thread For PHD Students - Education (46) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Thread For PHD Students (325788 Views)

Which University In Nigeria or abroad Accepts 3.0 Msc Grade For Phd Admission? / 4 Good Reason Why You Should Go For Phd And 7 Bad Reasons Why You Should Not / Presidential Scholarship Scheme For Ist Class Nigerian Graduates For Phd Abroad (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (43) (44) (45) (46) (47) (48) (49) ... (105) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Thread For PHD Students by wip7: 8:24am On Jul 17, 2018
Walexwal:
Good evening prof wip7. Please sir, I was told to publish my work in Thomson indexed journals (Open Access) with high impact factor and I have being finding it hard to get it. Is Thomson the same thing as SCI and SCIE? I have found some journals such a Agribusiness, Agriculture and Food Security, GLOBAL FOOD SECURITY-AGRICULTURE POLICY ECONOMICS AND ENVIRONMENT and
EMIRATES JOURNAL OF FOOD AND AGRICULTURE. I will be glad if you can help me out on this sir and probably the best to go for. Thanks sir.

Hmmmmmm whoever gave you this requirement really want to cut your neck grin. Why were you given these requirements? Let me explain some of those terms you mentioned here.

Open access: Allows all persons to access your publication and may somehow increase the visibility of your published data. However, it comes at a price, some quality open access publishers charges 800-2000USD per publication. I don't encourage this for a researcher that is not funded and makes no economic sense. Even though I have fundings in the majority of my research work, I have never subscribed to open access publication platform. Unless the open access is free of charges like those funded by Saudi Arabian universities and Beilstein Journals.

Thomson Indexed Journals: The use of this combo words does not make real sense. Reputable indexed journals (SCI, SCIE, SSCI, A&HCI) are listed under Clarivate Analytics. SCI/SCIE are databases that indexes science citation indexed journals while Thomson Reuter is a media company that has some business with science media/database.

I have found some journals such a Agribusiness, Agriculture
: To search for any journal to see which indexes or category they belong, kindly visit Clarivate analytics master list.

4 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Thread For PHD Students by Nobody: 4:58pm On Jul 17, 2018
wip7:

Hmmmmmm whoever gave you this requirement really want to cut your neck grin. Why were you given these requirements? Let me explain some of those terms you mentioned here.

Open access: Allows all persons to access your publication and may somehow increase the visibility of your published data. However, it comes at a price, some quality open access publishers charges 800-2000USD per publication. I don't encourage this for a researcher that is not funded and makes no economic sense. Even though I have fundings in the majority of my research work, I have never subscribed to open access publication platform. Unless the open access is free of charges like those funded by Saudi Arabian universities and Beilstein Journals.

Thomson Indexed Journals: The use of this combo words does not make real sense. Reputable indexed journals (SCI, SCIE, SSCI, A&HCI) are listed under Clarivate Analytics. SCI/SCIE are databases that indexes science citation indexed journals while Thomson Reuter is a media company that has some business with science media/database.

: To search for any journal to see which indexes or category they belong, kindly visit Clarivate analytics master list.

Good evening Wip7. Please I would like to know if you know anything about the Elphistone scholarship given by the University of Aberdeen. I already have an offer but my funding is still yet to be confirmed. I am a bit worried as resumption is this September.
Re: Thread For PHD Students by wip7: 5:44pm On Jul 17, 2018
toyeebahlim:
Good evening Wip7. Please I would like to know if you know anything about the Elphistone scholarship given by the University of Aberdeen. I already have an offer but my funding is still yet to be confirmed. I am a bit worried as resumption is this September.

Unfortunately, I don't know about Elphinstone scholarship. September is still far but if you think is getting too late to obtain the scholarship offer, kindly write directly to the University or department offering this scholarship to get updated.

Best wishes!

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Thread For PHD Students by strangest(m): 10:55pm On Jul 19, 2018
Hello everyone....ran into this thread today... Bsc Applied biochemsitry, am writing my final exam on monday for my M.Ed Science Education (1 year Masters in education)... Really want to run a Phd Education and research on online/distance learning... Please any heads up will be appreciated.... especially when it comes to fully funded... hopefully outside nigeria
Re: Thread For PHD Students by wip7: 7:18am On Jul 20, 2018
Latest Publication from my Lab: Efficient removal of tetracycline by CoO/CuFe2O4 derived from layered double hydroxides

Journal: Environmental Chemistry Letters
Impact Factor: 3.125
Publisher: Springer
Index: SCIE (Science Citation Index Expanded)

Summary: Health concerns have been raised over the excessive occurrences of antibiotics such as tetracycline in aquatic environments. The increasing use of antibiotics as a feed additive in the agriculture sector, for veterinary purposes and human therapy, has resulted in serious environmental problems due to their undesirable accumulation in the environment. Here, we fabricated CoO/CuFe2O4 mixed metal oxide from layered double hydroxides for the first time. The resultant CoO/CuFe2O4 adsorbent rapidly and efficiently removed tetracycline from the pharmaceutical and industrial wastewaters. The cost-benefit analyses indicated that the recovered antibiotics can be reused for animal feeds at relatively lower cost.

You can read the full paper via this link and also share with others:

https://rdcu.be/3e9l

You will also be able to use Enhanced PDF features such as annotation tools, one-click supplements, citation file exports and article metrics via the shared link.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Thread For PHD Students by ezimo777(m): 1:37pm On Jul 21, 2018
wip7:
Latest Publication from my Lab: Efficient removal of tetracycline by CoO/CuFe2O4 derived from layered double hydroxides

Journal: Environmental Chemistry Letters
Impact Factor: 3.125
Publisher: Springer
Index: SCIE (Science Citation Index Expanded)

Summary: Health concerns have been raised over the excessive occurrences of antibiotics such as tetracycline in aquatic environments. The increasing use of antibiotics as a feed additive in the agriculture sector, for veterinary purposes and human therapy, has resulted in serious environmental problems due to their undesirable accumulation in the environment. Here, we fabricated CoO/CuFe2O4 mixed metal oxide from layered double hydroxides for the first time. The resultant CoO/CuFe2O4 adsorbent rapidly and efficiently removed tetracycline from the pharmaceutical and industrial wastewaters. The cost-benefit analyses indicated that the recovered antibiotics can be reused for animal feeds at relatively lower cost.

You can read the full paper via this link and also share with others:

https://rdcu.be/3e9l

You will also be able to use Enhanced PDF features such as annotation tools, one-click supplements, citation file exports and article metrics via the shared link.

Following fully oo. Greater you we pray

2 Likes

Re: Thread For PHD Students by wip7: 2:07pm On Jul 21, 2018
ezimo777:

Following fully oo. Greater you we pray

Thank you I appreciate and also don’t forget to upload your work here so someone can learn, get motivated, do and develop!

More contributions on what the Phd students in Africa are facing is welcome and mentorship and couseling from many Phd students, graduates, senior colleagues and professors are welcome in this thread!

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Thread For PHD Students by wip7: 12:53pm On Jul 25, 2018
Recent Book Published by myself and researchers from 18 countries: Nanotechnology in Environmental Science

Description of the Book

An overview of the current state of nanotechnology-based devices with applications in environmental science, focusing on nanomaterials and polymer nanocomposites. The handbook pays special attention to those nanotechnology-based approaches that promise easier, faster and cheaper processes in environmental monitoring and remediation. Furthermore, it presents up-to-date information on the economics, toxicity and regulations related to nanotechnology in detail. The book closes with a look at the role of nanotechnology for a green and sustainable future.
With its coverage of existing and soon-to-be-realized devices this is an indispensable reference for both academic and corporate R&grin.

Publisher: Wiley-VCH (Germany)

Sample chapter:

The total chapter is 25 and 331 pages.

1. Atomic-scale Study of Fullerene Molecules on Semiconductor Surfaces
2. Recent Advances in Nanostructured Catalysts for Vehicle Exhaust Gas Treatment
3. Analytical Applications of Nanoscale Materials for Water Treatment
4. Nanocarbons in Agricultural Plants: Can be a Potential Nanofertilizer?
5. Nanoseparation Devices for Environment

ISBN: 978-3-527-80886-1

9 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Thread For PHD Students by mymzo48: 5:03pm On Jul 28, 2018
Dear collague,
I need help on direction towards write a admission granting motivation letter. I would really appreciate comments and direction from everyone.
The school also gave a guide and they are as follows

Overview of objective and motive of study in quantitative economics
Career perspective after the training ineeds quatitative economics

Thank you in anticipation of your ernest response.
Re: Thread For PHD Students by wip7: 1:39pm On Jul 29, 2018
mymzo48:
Dear collague,
I need help on direction towards write a admission granting motivation letter. I would really appreciate comments and direction from everyone.
The school also gave a guide and they are as follows
Overview of objective and motive of study in quantitative economics
Career perspective after the training ineeds quatitative economics
Thank you in anticipation of your ernest response.

First, write and then seek for help regarding the structure, English, style and outlook. Follow the guide given by the university.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Thread For PHD Students by mymzo48: 2:03pm On Jul 29, 2018
wip7:

First, write and then seek for help regarding the structure, English, style and outlook. Follow the guide given by the university.

Thank you
I would do just that and get back to you soonest.
Re: Thread For PHD Students by wip7: 11:58am On Aug 02, 2018
How Reviewer Assess your Funding Application-International Funding Request

I have been opportune to be selected as Scientific Reviewer for many international organizations for Scientific and Technological Development including UNESCO, TUBITAK and governmental agencies in Turkey, Brazil, Chile, Italy etc. I'd like to share some of the aspects the reviewer is meant to consider while reviewing the funding application of numerous applicants:

GENERAL AND TECHNICAL ASPECTS:

Each proposal is scored based on Proposal Quality and Proposal Viability and thus represents 60-80% of the proposal final score. The remaining 40-20% corresponds to the Principal Investigator's scientific productivity. She/He must report at least 10 reputable peer-reviewed publications since last 4 years. Consideration should be given to Female researchers who have given birth during the timeline to be excluded for not less than 25% of the required publication.

Each section of the proposal are assigned scores on varying scales regarding the quality and viability of the proposal as shown below:

Score Categories Definition
5 Outstanding: The proposal successfully meet/addresses all criterion aspects. Any weaknesses are minor.
4 Very Good: The proposal addresses the criterion aspects, although some improvements are still possible.
3 Good: The proposal meet the criterion aspects, some improvements are required.
2 Regular/Fair: The proposal broadly addresses the criterion aspects, but there are important deficiencies.
1 Poor : The proposal does not address in an adequate and there are serious inherent deficiencies.
0 Not qualify : The proposal does not meet criterion under analysis or cannot be evaluated due to incomplete file

Proposal Quality: The quality of the proposal is accessed under the following headings

Conceptual and theoretical aspects.
Hypothesis and Goals of the proposal.
Scientific or technological novelty of the proposal.
Potential Impact.

Proposal Viability: The viability is considered under the following aspects:
Coherence between work plan/methodology/goals.
Feasibility of the proposal.
The existence of the appropriate infrastructure and resources.

Then the CV and scientific productivity of the principal investigator will be accessed for experience, skills, consistency and increasing productivity via a verifiable means.

This is not the fixed criteria, however, the majority of the review are designed in this format. I do hope this helps some of you that will be willing to apply for an international funding.

6 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Thread For PHD Students by Dawudski(m): 2:39pm On Aug 04, 2018
Wonderful job you guy's are doing here! I am motivated.
I graduated last year from one of the reputable Nigeria's federal university bagging BSc Economics.
The problem now is that I was told that doing MSc before PhD is not compulsory, particularly abroad. I was told that I could apply for PhD direct especially since I have a good BSc results.
Guy's, what do you think about this??
is it really possible??
has anyone done it here before??
Re: Thread For PHD Students by Femiblack05: 8:36pm On Aug 04, 2018
Get your advanced textbooks from all academic fields today... Check my signature
Re: Thread For PHD Students by Nobody: 8:07am On Aug 05, 2018
B. SC Economics, M. SC Business Administration, Ph.D Business Administration.(in view).

For Nigeria university system, please ask questions because you might end up 8 to10year for 3yrs program.
Re: Thread For PHD Students by wip7: 11:28am On Aug 05, 2018
Dawudski:
Wonderful job you guy's are doing here! I am motivated.
I graduated last year from one of the reputable Nigeria's federal university bagging BSc Economics.
The problem now is that I was told that doing MSc before PhD is not compulsory, particularly abroad. I was told that I could apply for PhD direct especially since I have a good BSc results.
Guy's, what do you think about this??
is it really possible??
has anyone done it here before??

Yeah, there are many institutions abroad that admit students with outstanding results at an undergraduate level directly into PhD program. However, accepting you into PhD program may involve not just your BSc results.

During my undergraduate days, I was not very much interested in getting the highest CGPA (even though I graduated top 3) but I favour acquiring unique, independent and emerging technical experience and practically oriented skill-sets outside my BSc curriculum. I acquired research skills in fields not directly related to my undergraduate and certifications in data analysis, computational modelling, business analytics, electrical and material analyses even though my undergraduate falls under physical science. All these made me significantly different from my classmates and piloted me far far far above and also assisted in securing many academic-related feats.

So, depends on the university, the evaluating team or the supervisor for the PhD program may likely be looking beyond just your high BSc results cos personally, I know many that just crammed their way to obtain great BSc results (am not referring to you oooooo) without possessing adequate research skills, documented experience, unique and emerging skills that can be suitable for the PhD program.

You can try and apply to many of the university. There is no harm in applying; if they consider you suitable you will be admitted but if not they will let you know. In previous pages on this same thread, I remembered one of the members here had a similar issue, he/she was denied PhD admission in the USA as the University suggested he/she should enhance his/her research skills before they will consider the PhD placement. While many have been successfully admitted directly from bachelor degrees as well.

Good luck!

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Thread For PHD Students by wip7: 11:36am On Aug 05, 2018
azuson:
B. SC Economics, M. SC Business Administration, Ph.D Business Administration.(in view).

For Nigeria university system, please ask questions because you might end up 8 to10year for 3yrs program.

Nice to see you here and can we know what you are researching on and how far you have gone?. We encourage PhD students or graduate to also post here their research, what they are working on, the challenges they face, how they solve it, the problems they intend to solve, expert skills they have or wish to learn and how they can also mentor newbies. We would like to see a snap of some of your published work, preprints and summarized version of your next work.

This thread should motivate, encourage, share and allow others to learn so as to build a battalion of sound and research-oriented youth/community.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Thread For PHD Students by FixNaija(m): 10:19pm On Aug 05, 2018
wip7:

Nice to see you here and can we know what you are researching on and how far you have gone?. We encourage PhD students or graduate to also post here their research, what they are working on, the challenges they face, how they solve it, the problems they intend to solve, expert skills they have or wish to learn and how they can also mentor newbies. We would like to see a snap of some of your published work, preprints and summarized version of your next work.

This thread should motivate, encourage, share and allow others to learn so as to build a battalion of sound and research-oriented youth/community.

Good evening Prof. I have sent you a PM, please do reply back so I can get your professional help on something. Thanks
Re: Thread For PHD Students by Ugosample(m): 11:10pm On Aug 05, 2018
azuson:

nice
Re: Thread For PHD Students by wip7: 1:03am On Aug 06, 2018
FixNaija:

Good evening Prof. I have sent you a PM, please do reply back so I can get your professional help on something. Thanks

Good day sir/ma, I replied your message. Do you think someone will benefit from your query and is not too personal? If yes, would you ask here?

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Thread For PHD Students by Dawudski(m): 2:48pm On Aug 06, 2018
wip7:

Yeah, there are many institutions abroad that admit students with outstanding results at an undergraduate level directly into PhD program. However, accepting you into PhD program may involve not just your BSc results.

During my undergraduate days, I was not very much interested in getting the highest CGPA (even though I graduated top 3) but I favour acquiring unique, independent and emerging technical experience and practically oriented skill-sets outside my BSc curriculum. I acquired research skills in fields not directly related to my undergraduate and certifications in data analysis, computational modelling, business analytics, electrical and material analyses even though my undergraduate falls under physical science. All these made me significantly different from my classmates and piloted me far far far above and also assisted in securing many academic-related feats.

So, depends on the university, the evaluating team or the supervisor for the PhD program may likely be looking beyond just your high BSc results cos personally, I know many that just crammed their way to obtain great BSc results (am not referring to you oooooo) without possessing adequate research skills, documented experience, unique and emerging skills that can be suitable for the PhD program.

You can try and apply to many of the university. There is no harm in applying; if they consider you suitable you will be admitted but if not they will let you know. In previous pages on this same thread, I remembered one of the members here had a similar issue, he/she was denied PhD admission in the USA as the University suggested he/she should enhance his/her research skills before they will consider the PhD placement. While many have been successfully admitted directly from bachelor degrees as well.

Good luck!
Thank you Bro. You have done just to the question. I am really now enlightened.

1 Like

Re: Thread For PHD Students by bilal4riid(m): 2:49pm On Aug 06, 2018
wip7:

Good day sir, thank you for wonderful job you are doing.
I proposed Bioethanol production from lignocellulosic biomass, detoxification and fermentation strategy.
With detoxification kinetics in focus. Thanks.

1 Like

Re: Thread For PHD Students by wip7: 6:45pm On Aug 06, 2018
bilal4riid:

Good day sir, thank you for wonderful job you are doing.
I proposed Bioethanol production from lignocellulosic biomass, detoxification and fermentation strategy.
With detoxification kinetics in focus. Thanks.

Your research is quite good and considering detoxification kinetics makes it unique.

May I suggest that you can modify your work slightly to inculcate " Simultaneous production of bioethanol and biohydrogen from lignocellulosic biomass..."

Also, which microorganisms will you be using or you will be using synthetic catalyst or hybrid? Will you be considering applying DOE to optimize the biofuel production and which DOE?

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Thread For PHD Students by dsuperhero001: 8:03pm On Aug 06, 2018
slydog:

Bsc Economics MSC Economics PhD Economics (seeking admission, yet to write proposal)
Pls I need help on proposal writing
how is ur PhD program or are u thru
Re: Thread For PHD Students by slydog(m): 9:10pm On Aug 06, 2018
dsuperhero001:

how is ur PhD program or are u thru

Graduated June this year, thanks for asking

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Thread For PHD Students by Ugosample(m): 9:36pm On Aug 06, 2018
slydog:

That was very fast
2014 till date
congrats bro!
All the best

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Thread For PHD Students by Ugosample(m): 9:41pm On Aug 06, 2018
Just for curiosity sake though

What does the house think of getting a PhD in private university in Nigeria (I mean the good ones like Covenant and Babcock,, not mushroom ones)

no one here spoke of that here, as it seems most of those running PhD here are doing So in public universities
Re: Thread For PHD Students by Ugosample(m): 10:20pm On Aug 06, 2018
377:
Bsc banking and finance Msc Financial mathematics Masters in Financial Economics Pls which university can admit me on PHD
which ac
Re: Thread For PHD Students by Ugosample(m): 10:20pm On Aug 06, 2018
377:
Bsc banking and finance Msc Financial mathematics Masters in Financial Economics Pls which university can admit me on PHD
which ac
Re: Thread For PHD Students by dsuperhero001: 8:00pm On Aug 08, 2018
slydog:

Congratulations!!!

I just made up my mind to start my PhD. which school did u do the program and hope they did not delay u too much cos am looking for where I will finish on time
Re: Thread For PHD Students by dsuperhero001: 9:22pm On Aug 08, 2018
wip7:

Wow that's quite an interesting research you got. I have not used DMFA for kinetics of batteries before but I have good standard experience with short-time Fourier transformation (STFT) for kinetics of batteries. Also, I have known a friend that works lot on dynamic impedance spectroscopy using DMFA and currently he is on loan to NASA.

May I ask, which type of batteries you work on and Have you worked on magnesium rechargeable batteries before? I likely gonna get a fund for MRB..

well done prof., you are an angel in human form. It pains me that we are not in the same field but plz can you help me or link me with economist researcher. I want to start my PhD next year so I want to start writing papers, and I need someone to give me topics that I can research on and where to publish those papers....plz help ur boy
Re: Thread For PHD Students by clumsydyna: 12:49am On Aug 09, 2018
BSc in Economics, MSc in Business Administration, PhD in Business Administration in view, still working on my proposal.

(1) (2) (3) ... (43) (44) (45) (46) (47) (48) (49) ... (105) (Reply)

2018/2019 Admission Process Thread Guide / 2016/2017 UTME And Admission Process Thread / Apply for 2018/2019 PTDF Scholarship in Germany/France/China

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 94
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.