Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,875 members, 7,802,811 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 10:24 PM

Urgent Tips Needed! - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Urgent Tips Needed! (593 Views)

Watch Production Help Tips Needed!! / Marketing Tips Needed For A Clothier On Nairaland (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Urgent Tips Needed! by YoungExec: 1:19am On Dec 15, 2014
Kindly note that I seek ideas:
I'm in the middle of a deal with a federal institution to supply ICT equipment. Due to the nature of the transaction, these equipment have to be setup prior to delivery and the supplier insists that they must get full payment before they release the kits as they can't risk allowing them to be opened and setup without being sure of getting paid.
On the other hand, my client (the federal institution) has a policy of paying on delivery due to the uniqueness of the Nigerian business environment. Though I've explained that since the equipment need to be unsealed and setup prior to delivery, it would be impossible to accept their terms. They have however insisted.
This is the problem.
Supplier (a U.S. Tech Firm) won't release without payment as they are afraid that once their goods are unsealed and setup they risk huge losses if the insitution fails to honor its payment obligation.
Client won't pay in advance as they have a laid down policy against such due to past negative experiences with suppliers.

I spoke to my bankers and they advised using a third party such as themselves to provide comfort to all parties. My bank suggested they do me a BG (Bank Guarantee) to my client assuring them that they will get their order if they go ahead and pay me and the client has accepted that.
Hence essentially, if the bank issues the BG on my behalf, client then pays in full prior to delivery and funds are available to acquire from supplier via full payment. Equipment are then setup and delivered to the client and transaction is complete.

However, the issue now is that the bank is asking for collateral to the tune of the amount to be paid by the client in order to issue the BG and because of the volume of the transaction, I cannot provide the cash reserve needed as collat.

I'm looking therefore for a third party who will be willing to invest benchmark funding that will yield a profit in a 1 month maximum period. If anyone has tips on how I could do this differently, do tell.
I've reviewed using APG, LPO etc but the cost will eat deep into my margins. Hence BG is the cheapest for me and will cost just 1% of transaction worth.

To give you an idea, the institution is ordering over 2000 kits and each kit costs about 300k. However, I'm considering breaking into batches of 100.
Essentially, I'm offering 7% yield on a 1 month investment of 30 million.

Urgent tips, feedback etc appreciated. As you've guessed, I'm an SME trying to make it in the harsh Nigerian business environment.
Re: Urgent Tips Needed! by walesblu: 11:54am On Dec 15, 2014
Advice: why don't you take the risk with ONLY ONE of the kit. if its accepted by your client (ICT) it will be easy for you to get funds from any source;bank,organization or private individuals, people need to be TOTALLY convinced.

(1) (Reply)

Western Union / Which Shipping Coy Is The Cheapest From China To Lagos?? With Charges Pls. / 5 Lessons You Can Learn From Entrepreneur Chinedu Echeruo- Founder, Hopstop.com

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 30
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.