Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,906 members, 7,802,946 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 April 2024 at 04:45 AM

Android Code Competition For Nigerian Developers - The result is out - Programming - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / Android Code Competition For Nigerian Developers - The result is out (6222 Views)

BBC Interviews Aseni And Oseni Ikhianosime, 2 Young Nigerian Developers / Nigerian Developers & The Code Ninja Syndrome / Coding, Fast & Slow: Developers & The Psychology Of Overconfidence (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Android Code Competition For Nigerian Developers - The result is out by nollyj: 1:47am On Dec 15, 2014
Our bi-weekly code competition is a way to encourage android developers in Nigeria to learn through competition and also get rewarded with prize. The aim of our code competition is to help beginner and intermediate android developers in Nigeria to soil their hands on a real life android project and in return, build a resume that will make it easy to land a good job. The prize for the competition is little. The competition is not about the price but rather a way to create a learning platform for android developers in Nigeria. To partake in the competition you must meet the following requirements as stated below

Android Code Competition Requirements
1. All participants for the competition must be Nigerian
2. Your task must be completed by you without any external help
3. You must be a beginner or intermediate android developer to participate
4. All entries must be submitted before the deadline of each competition
5. Ask question about ongoing competition in our question and answer section
6. The best submitted project in the competition will receive a price

How Entries are Judge
1. Interface Design
2. How the project requirements were executed
3. Functionality
4. Cleanliness of the code

Competition Duration
The competition will start from 17th to 31 December, 2014.
All entries receive after the deadline will not be considered for the competition.

Submission of Entries
You should zip your project entry with a .apk file and name it Code Competition December 17th .sent it to this email address tosca207[at]yahoo.com

Competition Prize
As stated earlier, the purpose of this code competition is to create a platform where we will all learn together and become better. So the best submitted entry will be reward with a 7 inch Android Tablet.

For more Details
visit the competition website - http://inducesmile.com/

2 Likes

Re: Android Code Competition For Nigerian Developers - The result is out by asalimpo(m): 4:24am On Dec 15, 2014
nice one . But only 1 winner outta many? No 2nd and 3rd prize @least. Thts not how to run a competition.
Re: Android Code Competition For Nigerian Developers - The result is out by nollyj: 12:29pm On Dec 15, 2014
asalimpo:
nice one . But only 1 winner outta many? No 2nd and 3rd price @least. Thts not how to run a competition.

Suggestion taken I will see what I will do about it. Thanks
Re: Android Code Competition For Nigerian Developers - The result is out by bot101(m): 11:15pm On Dec 16, 2014
i can develop for android with html, css and javascript. i hope i am qualified to compete and i'd like to know what type of project we are expected to embark on
Re: Android Code Competition For Nigerian Developers - The result is out by Georgeokez: 10:08am On Dec 17, 2014
Its a good concept and this should indeed encourage guys like us trying to get our hands busy doing good stuff. But i have just one question for this competition. What are the category's that we are to code for, e.g category's like busy apps, social apps, administrative apps, games, etc. Or are we just to submit any kind of application that just does some random stuff?
Re: Android Code Competition For Nigerian Developers - The result is out by nollyj: 11:36am On Dec 17, 2014
bot101:
i can develop for android with html, css and javascript. i hope i am qualified to compete and i'd like to know what type of project we are expected to embark on

Yes, you are free to use whatever technology you like to develop the android challenge
Re: Android Code Competition For Nigerian Developers - The result is out by nollyj: 11:48am On Dec 17, 2014
Georgeokez:
Its a good concept and this should indeed encourage guys like us trying to get our hands busy doing good stuff. But i have just one question for this competition. What are the category's that we are to code for, e.g category's like busy apps, social apps, administrative apps, games, etc. Or are we just to submit any kind of application that just does some random stuff?

Full details of the task for the competition will be published today
Re: Android Code Competition For Nigerian Developers - The result is out by Nobody: 11:14pm On Dec 17, 2014
would have loved to participate, but i'm not with my lappy presently. Watching in 3D
Re: Android Code Competition For Nigerian Developers - The result is out by elvis10ten(m): 11:35pm On Dec 17, 2014
we are waiting for the details.
Re: Android Code Competition For Nigerian Developers - The result is out by asalimpo(m): 11:47pm On Dec 17, 2014
I guess you will also eliminate non-rookie java developers without android experience else d field wont b level for true newbies.
Re: Android Code Competition For Nigerian Developers - The result is out by nollyj: 3:25pm On Dec 18, 2014

Android Code Competition Announcement

This is the official announcement for the commencement of our android code competition. The competition requires that participants should have a basic android development skill. As a participant, you are required to solve the competition problem statement and submit the .apk file for evaluation.

About the task
Google Map Location Based Housing Search
The aim of the task is to build an android app that uses Google Map API to display all the available housing an Estate Manger has for renting and selling. The location of each house will be indicated on the map with a marker. User of the app can easily search the map with street number / geolocation to find properties listed in the area on the map.

Code Competition Focus Area
The app that you are building will be based on the Google Maps API. It will be useful to read more about it if you do not have any knowledge about it.

Code Competition Duration
The competition will start from 17th to 31 December, 2014. All entries receive after the deadline will not be considered for the competition.

Will I get the result of the challenge?
All the score for the participants will be displayed on our ladder board and you can easily view your result or your rank among other participants.

Whom should I contact in case I face any problem?
In case of any issues you can contact us through this http://inducesmile.com/contact

Where is the challenge happening?
The challenge is completely online. You can track the progress of the challenge in Nairaland or with the link above.

How do I participate in the challenge?
To participate in the challenge, just indicate with your name and skill sets.

What am I supposed to do in the challenge?
You are supposed to solve the challenge questions to the best of your ability.

How will I submit the finished project?
You are required to send in your project source code and a signed .apk file. Since your code is part of the grading system you need to submit your source code. We will not use your source code for anything part from this competition.

Feel free to ask any question or suggestion that will make this android code competition a success.

1 Like

Re: Android Code Competition For Nigerian Developers - The result is out by Nobody: 2:20pm On Dec 19, 2014
Ok
Re: Android Code Competition For Nigerian Developers - The result is out by englishmart(m): 2:21pm On Dec 19, 2014
can I contest too?
I will use my BB experience to outwit all of you.
Re: Android Code Competition For Nigerian Developers - The result is out by condralbede(m): 2:22pm On Dec 19, 2014
We are waiting for d rest of d details
..tnx
Re: Android Code Competition For Nigerian Developers - The result is out by RichDad1(m): 2:50pm On Dec 19, 2014
englishmart:
can I contest too?
I will use my BB experience to outwit all of you.
BB ko Symbian ni.
Re: Android Code Competition For Nigerian Developers - The result is out by nollyj: 2:56pm On Dec 19, 2014
condralbede:
We are waiting for d rest of d details
..tnx
What other details do you need? Please kindly let me know. This is the main task as detailed in the instruction above

Google Map Location Based Housing Search
The aim of the task is to build an android app that uses Google Map API to display all the available housing an Estate Manger has for renting and selling. The location of each house will be indicated on the map with a marker. User of the app can easily search the map with street number / geolocation to find properties listed in the area on the map.
Re: Android Code Competition For Nigerian Developers - The result is out by condralbede(m): 4:12pm On Dec 19, 2014
nollyj:

What other details do you need? Please kindly let me know. This is the main task as detailed in the instruction above

Thanks
Re: Android Code Competition For Nigerian Developers - The result is out by Celebrimbor(m): 11:21pm On Dec 19, 2014
Cool. I would like the organizer to place more emphasis on the learning experience. If possible, the source codes of the participators should be placed here after the winner has been announced to help with knowledge sharing.

1 Like

Re: Android Code Competition For Nigerian Developers - The result is out by finfreedom(m): 1:01am On Dec 20, 2014
That's not a bad idea. Thumbs up guys.
But what's gonna happen to the winner's app at the end of the show? Are you guys gonna promote it, take it over or just dump it and kill the guy's talent?
Re: Android Code Competition For Nigerian Developers - The result is out by trytillmake(m): 8:21pm On Dec 20, 2014
ok [b]nollyj[/b]you started android app tutorial, u nr come teach us finish come start competition, but y na, ok since it is till 31 Dec, i gat learn this android fast collect tablet.
Re: Android Code Competition For Nigerian Developers - The result is out by nollyj: 9:00pm On Dec 20, 2014
trytillmake:
ok [b]nollyj[/b]you started android app tutorial, u nr come teach us finish come start competition, but y na, ok since it is till 31 Dec, i gat learn this android fast collect tablet.

I am being ban everyday once I post anything that contains a link. But you can go to my website for the updated tutorials
Re: Android Code Competition For Nigerian Developers - The result is out by trytillmake(m): 9:00pm On Dec 20, 2014
Just asking,since the locations will be for practice [since we are not really estate developers and do not have actual properties to locate] can smeone use a general building, say in ikeja lagos, airport hotel or in V.I, Silverbird Cinema or does one need to go to Google Maps and actually create Properties to locate.
Re: Android Code Competition For Nigerian Developers - The result is out by nollyj: 9:19pm On Dec 20, 2014
trytillmake:
Just asking,since the locations will be for practice [since we are not really estate developers and do not have actual properties to locate] can smeone use a general building, say in ikeja lagos, airport hotel or in V.I, Silverbird Cinema or does one need to go to Google Maps and actually create Properties to locate.

You can have a list of properties in a data source and populate the map with it
Re: Android Code Competition For Nigerian Developers - The result is out by trytillmake(m): 9:30pm On Dec 20, 2014
nollyj:

You can have a list of properties in a data source and populate the map with it

Pls read my question well, i aint asking bout data source i am asking do we require actual location of properties [that means we have to go create it on google maps]or one can point to a prominent building already mapped on google maps.
Re: Android Code Competition For Nigerian Developers - The result is out by nollyj: 9:32pm On Dec 20, 2014
trytillmake:

Pls read my question well, i aint asking bout data source i am asking do we require actual location of properties [that means we have to go create it on google maps]or one can point to a prominent building already mapped on google maps.

yeah, you need location as explained in the requirement (eg longitude and latitude). But you are free to use any valid location
Re: Android Code Competition For Nigerian Developers - The result is out by Nobody: 10:12pm On Dec 20, 2014
nollyj:

yeah, you need location as explained in the requirement (eg longitude and latitude). But you are free to use any valid location
Hmm! This should be simple.
Re: Android Code Competition For Nigerian Developers - The result is out by nollyj: 10:54pm On Dec 20, 2014
phatjoe50:

Hmm! This should be simple.
That is why it is a beginners' android code competition
Re: Android Code Competition For Nigerian Developers - The result is out by Maxim001(m): 11:21pm On Dec 20, 2014
What are the T&C?
Will u use the source code submitted for any work?
Who are those on the. Panel of Judges? What makes them qualified to be on it?
Re: Android Code Competition For Nigerian Developers - The result is out by nollyj: 11:39pm On Dec 20, 2014
Maxim001:
What are the T&C?
Will u use the source code submitted for any work?
Who are those on the. Panel of Judges? What makes them qualified to be on it?

All submitted codes will be made available for people to see and use for education purpose. The main aim of this android code competition is to create a platform where beginners android developers will learn and develop their skills with real project.

We are not going to use any code in this competition for anything apart from putting it up for other people to download and learn from it. Since the codes are made available for education purpose it implies that by taking part in this competition you have accepted that you are making your code available to people to use for education purpose.

I am part of the judges and I have gone past beginners level in android development so also other members of the judges
Re: Android Code Competition For Nigerian Developers - The result is out by jboy01(m): 6:16pm On Dec 21, 2014
I will like use c# with mono for my app

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Solving Real Problems / MY JOURNEY WITH PYTHON!!! / Pattern Chaser In Javascript: Coding Challenge

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 40
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.